gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 01:02:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's New Album Cover  (Read 27706 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:43:10 AM »

Amazon now has cover art posted for TLOS, for those who haven't seen it...
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:59:33 AM »

I like it. It's not what i was expecting. I've chosen not to listen to any of TLOS material as of yet. (Don't know how i did it:). I can't wait to get it all at once on Sept 2.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 06:35:25 AM by hutchings » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:23:35 AM »

I hate the cover...but who cares? I like the music (well at least from what I've heard) and that's all that really matters.
XY
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:40:44 AM »

Like it a lot. Uplifting colors, simple, but effective. Love oranges anyway, they shine like suns here and are good symbols for this love message to LA in the 60's.

Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:45:46 AM »

I like it. I was expecting a hopeful Brian looking at the sunrise or another crapfest like that.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:28:39 AM »

And the Golden Poppy is the California state flower.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 08:35:11 AM »

kind of reminds me of the Wild Honey cover in a way

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:40 AM »

I preferred Mark London's TLOS design for the UK program. That seemed to be more in the L.A. vein than this California crate view of nostalgia.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:35:54 AM »

On first sight I'm not all too crazy about the artwork, but it sure looks nice enough. Also, I'm still VERY excited about the music and having the cover art feels like another crucial step to TLOS finally materializing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »

I really like it, You know why? It lacks any pretension which it could have easily been encumbered by.  Cool
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:47:09 AM »

looking at the design closer, it doesn't look complete. notice the penciled in sun, don't you think that should be "in your face" a little more? since the album is titled That Lucky Old SUN. not that it matters, and is that grid supposed to be there too? not complaining just observations.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:31:05 AM »

Looks like a post card.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »

It's different...but I dig it. Very cheerful.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:34 PM »

On first sight I'm not all too crazy about the artwork, but it sure looks nice enough. Also, I'm still VERY excited about the music and having the cover art feels like another crucial step to TLOS finally materializing.

In the "Smoking Section" column in the latest edition of Rolling Stone, Austin Scaggs says he just received an advanced copy of THAT LUCKY OLD SUN and thinks it sounds great (he's especially taken with Van Dyke Parks' "Venice Beach" narrative). Scaggs reports of a phone interview with Brian whom he quotes as saying something like..."It's different from PET SOUNDS and SMiLE. I'll just call it a piece of art"!

Oh...I like the cover quite a bit. It would be too obvious to feature the sun prominently and, besides, BWPS already did that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 01:21:16 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »

The text is awful - looks like it was knocked up in MS Word or something... Come on BriMel...

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2008, 02:39:03 PM »

I think that cover is pretty ugly. And the font I think is especially bad. But I already know I like the songs, so that's the most important thing. Hopefully the final recordings will not disappoint me. I'd love to love it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

The text is awful - looks like it was knocked up in MS Word or something... Come on BriMel...

Considering that Brian has never been known for having good album covers, with or without the BBs, I'm not sure it's fair to blame BriMel.

Anyway, I actually like the cover. It's got a bright innocence that goes well with the music. I do hate the font.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 03:22:58 PM »

What are you talking about?

The "Smile" album art is incredible, and Brian was totally involved with the creation behind that. Besides which, I think the album sleeve for the "Surfin' U.S.A." LP is amazing (definitively inspiring a bevy of imitations in 1963). The "All Summer Long" album cover is bossanova era perfection, as well. And what is not to like with the cover of Today!" or "Pet Sounds"? I also love the covers for "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," "Surf's Up" and "Holland." It seems to me that Brian and/or the Beach Boys are prefectly capable of delivering a fine piece of album jacket art.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:49 PM »

Agree -  looks like a default font coloured in by a kid. Typical of desktop publishing, not graphic design.

Thank God the music is redeeming in the extreme!

(I guess we'd've said similar about the Beach Boys dressed in their Dads' clothes feeding goats in ’66 though).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:27:17 PM by Wee Helper » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

What are you talking about?

The "Smile" album art is incredible, and Brian was totally involved with the creation behind that. Besides which, I think the album sleeve for the "Surfin' U.S.A." LP is amazing (definitively inspiring a bevy of imitations in 1963). The "All Summer Long" album cover is bossanova era perfection, as well. And what is not to like with the cover of Today!" or "Pet Sounds"? I also love the covers for "Smiley Smile," "Sunflower," "Surf's Up" and "Holland." It seems to me that Brian and/or the Beach Boys are prefectly capable of delivering a fine piece of album jacket art.

Most of them are just photos of the band. Some are more artistic, yes. I suppose I'm comparing them to the Beatles. I mean, the BBs moved into this era where album covers became high art, and they never had that. I don't place high importance on that issue-- I'm just saying.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:20 PM »

"Surfin' USA" is frameable. Most of Del-Fi's surfing catalog from 1963 was a take-off of the sleeve design for 'Surfin' USA."

I also happen to think "All Summer Long" was a special design. In fact, the whole vibe of "All Summer Long" and 1964 in L.A. was so special to me that I devoted a whole issue of "Dumb Angel Gazette" to it. But that might have just been me going overboard. :-)

I think the only thing that Brian had that could be included in the era of high-art album sleeves would have been "Smile." Some might disagree, but I think Frank Holmes captured something there. He's an artist that came out of the comic-as-art world of the Hairy Who in Chicago, as well as the architectural style of Earl Newman (both Holmes and Newman worked at the Insomniac Cafe in Hermosa Beach), and the combination spoke to the floating balloon vibe of 1966, where, as Greg Shaw once told me, "A lot of people were reading 'The Little Prince' and 'Winnie the Pooh,' and taking them as serious pieces of literature." I didn't fully understand what Greg was getting at until I saw the "Smile" LP jacket on a full page in my new book, "Pop Surf Culture." Whatever that book's merits are, so be it. But for myself, when I turned the page from the chapter that outlined where surf culture had been in 1964-65 to the next chapter, and saw the Frank Holmes art, it blew me away.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 04:19:59 PM »

For some reason, I imagined that the TLOS cover would be a lot darker. I get a very dark feel from the songs, even the happy upbeat ones.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008, 04:23:14 PM »

For some reason, I imagined that the TLOS cover would be a lot darker. I get a very dark feel from the songs, even the happy upbeat ones.
Perhaps a pic of a bearded, 300+ pound BW with an unbuttoned shirt chain-smoking and playing piano--drinks lined up atop it--in a dark, seedy San Diego gay bar would have hit the spot. For me it would have, anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008, 04:24:45 PM »

Despite what Mike Love said in "Endless Harmony," it was the combination of optimism and melancholy that sold the original Beach Boys songs so well. There was a feeling like it was the greatest moment ever, and that we have to hang on before it's too late.

People called Chet Baker and West Coast cool jazz "light" for years, before realizing that L.A. might have great weather, and the people here might be soft and weird, but it's a place that also has a heaviness, and the art that comes out of here does as well.

Uhhh... that was in reference to the idea of "darkness" in TLOS.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008, 04:25:50 PM »

Perhaps a pic of a bearded, 300+ pound BW with an unbuttoned shirt chain-smoking and playing piano--drinks lined up atop it--in a dark, seedy San Diego gay bar would have hit the spot. For me it would have, anyway.

Dude, you're hilarious.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx