gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680988 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 09:40:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE - 20th Anniversay  (Read 2482 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2023, 09:05:37 PM »

David Leaf wanted me to pass this on so......

Hello,

2024 marks the 20th anniversary of the world premiere of Brian Wilson Presents Smile at London's Royal Festival Hall.

Next autumn, timed to celebrate the anniversary release of the 2004 album, Omnibus Books will be publishing a 20th anniversary BWPS history/appreciation/celebration that I’m writing. And curating.
Think of this book as an oral history. The people who made the music are going to primarily tell the story. But we need to include fans too.

Were you at the World Premiere? If so---How were you feeling before the show, during BWPS and afterwards? What does it mean looking back?
If you went to any other show at Royal Festival Hall that February, or any other show on the tour, I want to hear from you.

What do I want to hear?

What were you thinking before the show, during the show, and afterwards? Did it live up to your expectations? And now, almost twenty years on, how do you feel about it all? What does Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE mean to you?
If you saw the Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE tour, we want to hear from you.

Were you at Carnegie Hall? Disney Hall? Or at any of the North American dates, any of the UK shows or any of the dozen countries around the world where Brian and his incredible band played BWPS?
To make room for as many of these as possible, I need a short reminiscence. About 150 words.

Now, as we began posting about this yesterday, I'm very glad to have already heard from some of you who want to be part of the book, very gratified that you shared your wonderful memories.
Unfortunately, it won't be possible to include every submission in the book. Those that don’t make the book will be on the publisher’s or my website after the book is published.

If you want to be part of the book, please send your thoughts to bwps20th@yahoo.com

And, BTW, it can be a short memory too.

FYI…some of you have posted at my Facebook page. Some have sent me your memories via DM. Or email. Please don’t send it like that.

I want as many fans as possible to be part of this.

A few of you have sent in pieces longer than 150 words. Whatever the length you send, we'll edit highlights from the pieces to make room for as many space permits. Any piece that’s edited will be posted in entirety on the website.
Remember…please email your memories at this special email address:bwps20th@yahoo.com

Thank you!
David Leaf

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 11:08:02 PM »

Members of the other boards CAN be bothered to give a comment regarding  this project. Just not us here !  What gives ?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 01:49:20 PM »

Well one thing I'll say is that I hope the comments get opened up to fans who didn't attend those concerts. I wasn't a big fan back then and didn't even know SMiLE was a thing until 2009 (so I never attended a concert).

A lot of new Beach Boys fans have entered the fold in the last 20 years (man I can't believe 20 years has passed since 2004) who never attended these concerts, yet BWPS had a huge impact on their music life (and life in general). I will never forget my first time hearing BWPS, and it was just like when I first heard Pet Sounds. It was one of those lightbulb moments where you realize you're hearing such a brilliant piece of art for the first time. My point being, while I know those concerts were absolute magic for people back in 2004 (and how envious I am of those who were able to attend!), it shouldn't isolate those who, having never attended the concerts, have found the album itself to be just as magical in its own special way in the 20 years since the concerts.

And that probably sounds more whiny than I intend it to be. I'll be buying the book regardless (I'm really looking forward to the history aspect of BWPS in the book. And I have always loved hearing stories about the concerts). But it may be cool to get perspectives from young fans who dig BWPS as well.

Also, really hoping that the powers that be do something special with this album for the 20th. Please do a remix, Dolby Atmos, instrumentals, studio chatter of Brian in at the helm in the studio, the live performances (all mixed beautifully). Intermixed with the instrumentals/studio chatter have interviews with Brian, Van, Darian, etc recalling the making of the album.

Just do something special. I feel like this album has lost a little bit of love over the years, and it really needs to be held in higher regard, imo.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 11:48:28 PM »

BWPS is not the album I celebrate. Smile Sessions IS!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 03:00:10 PM »

Nothing else would have been possible without BWPS.
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 05:27:02 PM »

BWPS is not the album I celebrate. Smile Sessions IS!
Ditto!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 02:12:04 PM »

Nothing else would have been possible without BWPS.

Facts. 2004 SMiLE proved that the album was more than a mess of ideas. I prefer almost everything about the originals, but this had a ton of heart.

The folks who came together to make this happen really seemed to have Brian, and his legacy, in mind while assisting him to finish it. That alone deserves to be celebrated. 

Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 11:54:06 AM »

Does anyone happen to recall the name of the person who burst onto this board (prior to it moving servers) the evening of the 20th with the first report of the concert?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »

Does anyone happen to recall the name of the person who burst onto this board (prior to it moving servers) the evening of the 20th with the first report of the concert?

Matt Bielewicz. His reports were the next best thing to being there in person. We'll always be thankful to Matt for sending those reports from the premiere.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 08:40:28 AM »

Would be great to have those, archived. Feels like that is a part of the history! Might be great for the book?

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 02:16:24 PM »

Project Smile CD Rom might have archived forum posts from opening night if anyone stills has that to hand

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx