gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680989 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 11:09:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 395221 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: March 19, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »

To those who seem so incredulous when we’re talking about the smaller venues and markets being played, keep in mind that Mike Love himself cited in his 2012 LA Times letter that the need to play those smaller markets was part of the reason to not continue on with the C50 lineup. I would also argue that the desire on the part of some members to tour in such a fashion probably impacted group member relationships and decisions going back years, decades.

In other words, the type of market and venue the current BB touring lineup is playing *directly* and indirectly is related to numerous past and ongoing issues related to the band, including the actual composition of its current lineup. How such things impact the legacy of the band and its individual members is another issue, which is both an interesting and long conversation.

Didn't he say that it wasn't financially feasible to play those 2012 shows with the C50 group that were already booked for the not-C50 group? He also said the extended dates that "promoter" were talking at them about in 2012 were dates for 2013 after they gave it a break for a year, the dates that were never presented in writing and never discussed within the band as Mike and Brian said.

No, I think you’re interpreting a meaning from Mike’s letter that isn’t there; a meaning that suits your needs. When he talked about needing to play the vital smaller markets, I don’t think he was speaking to already-booked shows for his band. I think it was just a more general point meant to refer to his normal mode of touring.

The rest of the stuff you’re talking about has nothing to do with the issue being discussed regarding markets/venues/cities for tours. I’m not going to entertain the “talk” vs. “discussion” debate again. Mike said there was talk of another album and more shows. He didn’t want to do more with the C50 lineup, and apparenty couldn’t bring himself even in 2015 to just say that plainly and simply.

I wasn't referring to the press release. It was on topic imo and Mike did both: explained why he did the venues he did with the non-C50 band and why the 2012 post C50 venues were not appropriate for the C50 band and that the promoters in 2012 were promoting for venues in 2013. As far as talk v. discussion, maybe you missed where Brian said the same thing as Mike.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 19, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »

To me the results are in. The band has not been able to ruin or cheapen or lessen their legacy and or trademark no matter how hard they all have tried for the past 50+ years.

And to scientifically know that you have to create a parallel timeline/universe in order to be able to observe differences in "legacy outcome". We know what their legacy is as of now, but not would it could have been. Claiming actions do not affect someone's legacy is more than nonsensical - actions make up someone's legacy.  

Let's say today's legacy is 54 on scale of 1 to 100. With better decisions in the past their legacy might have been 87. Or 92. Or some other number.

So the results are not in. Unless Cam creates that parallel universe.

You mean the value is purely subjective? I agree.

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 19, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »

No, Cam, we do not agree. You claim no actions in the past have "lessened their legacy" - we do not agree on that and that was what my post was all about.

Did you miss that part?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:17:25 PM by Douche Of Earl » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 19, 2015, 01:53:35 PM »

If you were at a Beach Boys concert in the 70's and/or 80's and were sitting amongst crowds of 30, 40, 50,000 people, then heard they just played a rodeo, you'd be a little snobbish too.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: March 19, 2015, 01:58:51 PM »

I wasn't referring to the press release. It was on topic imo and Mike did both: explained why he did the venues he did with the non-C50 band and why the 2012 post C50 venues were not appropriate for the C50 band and that the promoters in 2012 were promoting for venues in 2013. As far as talk v. discussion, maybe you missed where Brian said the same thing as Mike.

Did you miss Howie Edelson’s interview transcript where Mike mentioned talk of another album and more touring? I’m sure you didn’t, which means we’re back to the ridiculous “talk vs. discussion” semantics to try to explain that awful diatribe Mike wrote to David Beard. Don’t need to go there again.

As to the talk of post-C50 shows that had already been booked, as has been mentioned in the past, those shows could have easily been bought off or rescheduled or converted to C50 shows if they had been inclined to continue C50 (or, gasp, Mike could have just done those few shows on his own and then went back to more reunion shows). As I’ve said a million times, the reunion didn’t ground to a halt because of a few shows Mike had, *oops* booked and couldn’t get out of. It appears he booked more shows before the reunion tour was over because, in my opinion, he didn’t want to do more reunion shows and wanted to do more of his own shows. The simple explanation makes the most sense. Why he nor you can just say that plainly and simply, I do not know.

It’s like someone asking their spouse, “So what you’re saying is you want to end the marriage?” and the other answering “The thing is, I’ve already planned some dates for after our divorce, and these dates aren’t really conducive to incorporating my ex, so what can I do?” instead of just saying “Yes, I want to end this marriage.”
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:00:28 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »

If you were at a Beach Boys concert in the 70's and/or 80's and were sitting amongst crowds of 30, 40, 50,000 people, then heard they just played a rodeo, you'd be a little snobbish too.

Playing small venues instead of big venues is like having sex with an ugly girl instead of a hot girl.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:07:56 PM by Douche Of Earl » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »

Playing small venues instead of big venues is like having sex with an ugly girl instead of a hot girl. 

Agreed. I guess M&B believe in this analogy and are doing their booking thing as a tribute to Denny, who seemingly was all over the map and didn't discriminate either.  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: March 19, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »

It’s also worth mentioning that it’s possible to do classy, well-thought out “small” gigs. Like Brian did at the Roxy. Or playing a run of shows at BB Kings. If one’s inclination is to be close to an audience and have a small, intimate atmosphere, that can be done with class. It can be a hip, cool thing.

If Mike did a club tour or something, that could be cool. It’s what I wish Al would do. Playing to a thousand or a few thousand at a rodeo venue is certainly not about getting back to basics or doing some small, deep cut-filled shows for hardcore fans. It’s about working the touring circuit, it’s about the grind of doing as many shows as possible for whatever venue will have you and can meet your tour rider guidelines and monetary guarantee.   

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 19, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »

Yeah! It's a little bit like that, uh huh.  Although the smaller venues are more intimate, and there's less people seeing you on the lawn with a girl under a blanket.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 19, 2015, 03:07:50 PM »

M&B need to perform underwater while wearing scuba gear. Plankton and algae are a major untapped market.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: March 19, 2015, 03:10:35 PM »

M&B need to perform underwater while wearing scuba gear. Plankton and algae are a major untapped market.

The Arctic Circle. Make it for some bullshit environmental/transcendental cause, get TLC or Discovery Channel to video it and turn it into a series, introduce a whole new generation to pointing and leering. Incorporate the entire Love family, especially sullen Christian standing in the back moping. Bristol Palin cameos to pal around stiffly with their daughter.

Have one episode revolve around carefully dyeing Bruce Johnston's hair that special Clairol "grandma" color.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #686 on: March 19, 2015, 03:12:01 PM »

It’s also worth mentioning that it’s possible to do classy, well-thought out “small” gigs. Like Brian did at the Roxy. Or playing a run of shows at BB Kings. If one’s inclination is to be close to an audience and have a small, intimate atmosphere, that can be done with class. It can be a hip, cool thing.

Like it was December 28th, 29th & 30th 2000 when Mike & Bruce played BB Kings in NYC ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »

Like it was December 28th, 29th & 30th 2000 when Mike & Bruce played BB Kings in NYC ?

Sure. I didn't say they never did such gigs. Playing that many shows per year, every year, I would assume and expect they've played every type of venue imaginable, from Royal Albert Hall to stadiums to bowling alleys. I'm sure a hunk of he bookings Mike does are at fine venues; he books some of the same venues Brian does and C50 did. The question/discussion seems to revolve around the incessant touring and how that either drives or is driven by booking small markets and unconventional venues.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:50:54 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #688 on: March 19, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »

I'm sure a hunk of the bookings Mike does are at fine venues; he books some of the same venues Brian does and C50 did.

But, if you read, and believe, the posts of some of the other, ah, "contributors" to this forum, all Mike ever, ever, ever plays are state & county fairs, rodeos, postgame in the minor leagues and theme parks. Never played a decent venue since Carl died. That's not reasoned debate, like we're having here, and have had before - that's just complete stupidity from completely stupid people.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:03:18 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2015, 04:03:31 PM »

No, Cam, we do not agree. You claim no actions in the past have "lessened their legacy" - we do not agree on that and that was what my post was all about.

Did you miss that part?

No I saw it and answered it, and I also agree we do not agree.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 19, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »

Mike plays toliets of venues and loves every minute of it. He pockets the money with his ragged bar band.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: March 19, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

I'm sure a hunk of the bookings Mike does are at fine venues; he books some of the same venues Brian does and C50 did.

But, if you read, and believe, the posts of some of the other, ah, "contributors" to this forum, all Mike ever, ever, ever plays are state & county fairs, rodeos, postgame in the minor leagues and theme parks. Never played a decent venue since Carl died. That's not reasoned debate, like we're having here, and have had before - that's just complete stupidity from completely stupid people.

True, but if in fact M&B were to only, exclusively play such venues from 1998 to present, there would be a few people on this forum who'd think that was totally splendid as well. That's the puzzling thing to me.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 19, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »

Mike plays toliets of venues and loves every minute of it. He pockets the money with his ragged bar band.

Have you ever actually been out to hear this "ragged bar band"?

Because if John Cowsill and Scott Totten were playing in a bar near me every night, I might have to take up drinking!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: March 19, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »

Cowsill is great, but you'd need to be drinking to help cope with those keyboards anyway.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: March 19, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »

This?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: March 19, 2015, 04:35:24 PM »

Club Kokomo awaits. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 19, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »

Have you ever actually been out to hear this "ragged bar band"?

Because if John Cowsill and Scott Totten were playing in a bar near me every night, I might have to take up drinking!
There are damn fine bar bands out there, and Cowsill & Totten would definitely be in them. In some weird(er) world.  Drumroll
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 19, 2015, 05:29:16 PM »

Did you miss Howie Edelson’s interview transcript where Mike mentioned talk of another album and more touring? I’m sure you didn’t, which means we’re back to the ridiculous “talk vs. discussion” semantics to try to explain that awful diatribe Mike wrote to David Beard. Don’t need to go there again.

As to the talk of post-C50 shows that had already been booked, as has been mentioned in the past, those shows could have easily been bought off or rescheduled or converted to C50 shows if they had been inclined to continue C50 (or, gasp, Mike could have just done those few shows on his own and then went back to more reunion shows). As I’ve said a million times, the reunion didn’t ground to a halt because of a few shows Mike had, *oops* booked and couldn’t get out of. It appears he booked more shows before the reunion tour was over because, in my opinion, he didn’t want to do more reunion shows and wanted to do more of his own shows. The simple explanation makes the most sense. Why he nor you can just say that plainly and simply, I do not know.

It’s like someone asking their spouse, “So what you’re saying is you want to end the marriage?” and the other answering “The thing is, I’ve already planned some dates for after our divorce, and these dates aren’t really conducive to incorporating my ex, so what can I do?” instead of just saying “Yes, I want to end this marriage.”

"There was never any discussions within the group either during, at the end or after the scheduled and agreed upon ending of the reunion tour."

"As for more offers…I was presented with very nebulous offers, in other words, offers without documentation (i.e none). I asked for the offers to be presented in writing from the offering party, but never received a formal offer. It sounded odd to me that Wrigley Field wanted a show in October. Madison Square Garden for New Year's Eve was a stretch considering Phish was already booked." 
Mike Love Examiner  February 25, 2015

"There's only one 50th anniversary, obviously, but... there's talk of us going and doing a return to the Grammys next year, and there's talk about doing another album together,

"There's nothing in stone, but there's a lot of ideas being floated around. So after this year, after completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we'll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we can come up with and can do in the future." 
Mike Love June 27 2012 Billboard

" So, we'll just have to see what happens in the future. There's nothin' definitely in stone, but there's a lot of ideas bein' floated around -- and there's been some very successful concerts. Y'know, 17-and-a-half thousand people at the Hollywood Bowl sold out and there's interest from promoters, obviously, 'cause that's how they make money."

"After this year completing the 50th anniversary reunion, we'll entertain doing some more studio work and see what we'll come up with and then we'll look at what to do in the future."
Mike Love to Howie Edelson during C50 tour

"I'm disappointed that Mike would now say that the release was done at the request of my representative. The first I heard about it was at the Grammy Museum event. We hadn't even discussed as a band what we were going to do with all the offers that were coming in for more 50th shows.
Al and I just assumed based on everyone's enthusiasm we would at least want to take those offers into consideration since we all knew about them. I mean, who wouldn't want to play the Hollywood Bowl again, Madison Square Garden and Wrigley Field? And what better way to celebrate New Year's Eve than with the 50th band? "
Brian Wilson LA Times Oct 9 2012

I read it. They all agree promoters, Capitol, Grammys were talking but there was never discussion within the group about the promoters, Capitol, Grammys talk of offers. Brian and Mike make a distinction but it is getting ignored for some reason imo.

Also according to Mike the reunion shows promoters were talking were  in 2013 after giving the reunion a year off at the promoters' suggestion.  Either Brian was talking NYE at MSG in 2013 on October 9 2012 or he was unaware that Phish had already announced on October 2 2012 it was playing NYE at MSG.

So I guess we will just disagree for now.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 19, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »

LOL LOL LOL  Yep, kind of a Port-A-Potty type of concert schedule.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »

Last minute trip to meet some old friends in Nashville this weekend. They mentioned the Beach Boys were playing there....Low and behold I decided to buy tickets for them and me to see the M&B show on the 22nd at Ryman Auditorium. I have the extra cash, so I was wondering if anyone here who has bought the Club Kokomo package recently would recommend that I upgrade the tickets to that?

Edit; welp, I've been trying to figure out how to buy the VIP package, but there doesn't even seem to be an option to...it doesn't even say they're sold out. Does anyone know what's up with this??
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 06:43:36 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx