gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 07:37:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1742795 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 30, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

I've said this before but I talked to Lorren several years before BWPS, so I don't know the guy but hearing him tell the story I have to think that what we saw on BD is missing a lot of context. He may be laughing but when I talked to him he had a warm regard for Brian. He told me that Brian had been pestering him for a long time about drugs but he put him off because he didn't feel Brian was suited to it. He saw the scene around Brian as juvenile and he was concerned that someone [someone in particular] was not going to be discriminating or give a fig for how Brian may handle it. Anyway, it may sound wrong headed now but I think he thought he had Brian's best interest in mind. I have to believe that the impression the scraps in the film have given may not  be an accurate one.

As I remember Schwartz changed his name for some religious/philosophical/spiritual reason unrelated to anything BB.

Did Brian consciously decide not to take anymore acid at that time (he only took two trips?)? Or could he have been steered away from use by Lorren (or anyone else)?
_____

I found it ridiculous that in 'Beautiful Dreamer' the drug use is just shrugged off as if it had zero effect on Brian. Usually anytime an artificial stimulant is put into the body, the brain (for better or for worse) changes a little....and it is quite ignorant to say that it had little effect on Brian's mind.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »

A couple of points:

1. LSD isn't a hard drug, isn't addictive, doesn't have the risk of overdose and doesn't have any relation to coke/heroin/booze.
4. LSD is relatively harmless. Brian's mental problems were his own. LSD can "activate" such problems, but the LSD did not cause them.

LSD is a hard drug. Don't be mislead. There are too many variables that come into play meaning that everyone will handle it differently much more so than other drugs. There are many different chemists that create different doses, cut with different substances, and who knows what the heck anyone is getting. We know Brian probably got the real deal strong stuff from Owsley as Darro suggested. LSD is a life changing event for many, but if not done correctly, well it's relatively harmless so what diff does it make...
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 30, 2011, 05:13:55 PM »

A couple of points:

2. Without LSD SMiLE wouldn't have happened at all
3. Brian knew the buzz surrounding psychedelics, believed that he needed to do them to push forward and would have done them no matter what

2 is questionable, I'm sure it had an influence but to say it wouldn't have happened to all is off base. Highly disagree with 3, I don't think he believed he needed anything to push him forward, he knew he was on a hot streak...he didn't need anything but the support of the Beach Boys 100%. If he had that, perhaps he wouldn't have needed to find refuge in drugs and that group of people.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #503 on: March 30, 2011, 05:20:19 PM »

I know he had used LSD a couple of times before SMiLE, but wasn't his thing more hash and speed during this time?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 30, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »

A couple of points:

1. LSD isn't a hard drug, isn't addictive, doesn't have the risk of overdose and doesn't have any relation to coke/heroin/booze.
3. Brian knew the buzz surrounding psychedelics, believed that he needed to do them to push forward and would have done them no matter what
4. LSD is relatively harmless. Brian's mental problems were his own. LSD can "activate" such problems, but the LSD did not cause them.

2 is questionable, I'm sure it had an influence but to say it wouldn't have happened to all is off base. Highly disagree with 3, I don't think he believed he needed anything to push him forward, he knew he was on a hot streak...he didn't need anything but the support of the Beach Boys 100%. If he had that, perhaps he wouldn't have needed to find refuge in drugs and that group of people.

1; While not arguing as to  whether LSD is a "Hard Drug", cuz I can't say, I will say there could be problems with overdoses. I know having been there. No lasting effects that I can swear to; tho who can say how each of us are/would be shaped, and how everything we do changes us. 
2; Tend to agree with Jonas
3; Again, like Jonas I don't agree with the first two, but yeah, I do believe he would have tried it no matter what. 
4; Harmless?  Sure. Tell me how we can hook-up, I'll arrange to give you a couple of LARGE doses and you'll then be "qualified" to judge( at least on a personal level)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 30, 2011, 05:36:25 PM »

LSD isn't a hard drug. There are many different classification systems for drugs, if you were to make two categories Hard and Soft (as the Dutch do) LSD would be classified as soft. Alcohol is easier to abuse than LSD. But compared to Heroin, Coke, Meth, Benzos, pain killers and even alcohol and tobacco, LSD is probably safer.

It's very very difficult to overdose on LSD, an extremely large dose is required, and I'm talking really big. Even a handful of potent doses wouldn't be enough. A lethal dose would range in the ten thousands of micrograms. An average dose is probably like 100-300 micrograms. So you'd have to do like 50 hits of LSD before you were even approaching any real physical danger.

In fact there has been no confirmed report of death by LSD overdose anywhere ever.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 30, 2011, 05:37:28 PM »

Something tells me Fishmonk has done quite a few "LARGE DOSES".  LOL Razz
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 30, 2011, 05:38:15 PM »

Also note that LSD wasn't illegal at the time Brian was doing it.

It wasn't just LSD that inspired Brian, it was the whole culture of it. Without that stuff I really don't think he would have been inspired to do SMiLE. He wouldn't have hired Van Dyke, sure his music would have probably kept getting better, but his watershed project wouldn't have been SMiLE it would have been something totally different.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:43:32 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 30, 2011, 05:46:50 PM »

I fail to see how the legality means anything in this case 
And I think there are other implications from overdosing than Death. You said "Overdose". What of Paralysis, psychosis or any of a host of other problems that could be brought on by dosing.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 30, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »

And I think there are other implications from overdosing than Death. You said "Overdose". What of Paralysis, psychosis or any of a host of other problems that could be brought on by dosing.

Paralysis is an urban myth.
LSD also doesn't "cause" psychosis. Some have likened LSD induced states of consciousness to psychotic states, but their relation is poorly understood. Largely due to the continued prohibition on LSD research. As far as anyone can tell, LSD can only serve as a trigger for preexisting conditions. The onset of Schizophrenia is often caused by stress. LSD is very "stressful" and can therefore activate such conditions. To blame LSD is very unfair though as it doesn't give anyone schizophrenia, and people who experience psychotic breaks as a result of LSD use would likely have experienced them at some point with or without drug use.

The one long term effect of LSD that should be worried about is called HPPD, Hallucination Persisting Perception Disorder. This is sometimes misidentified as a "permanent trip" though that's not what it is. This condition only arises in a small number of users, ~3%.

What studies have been done on long-term effects to health of LSD have shown the dangers are minimal and possibly non-existent.

The point is, LSD is a deceptively safe drug, and I don't think Loren was doing anything wrong giving Brian LSD, certainly nothing that he should be admonished for. Whatever conditions might be blamed on the drug were very likely preexisting.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:10:42 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 30, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »

LSD also doesn't "cause" psychosis. Some have likened LSD induced states of consciousness to psychotic states, but their relation is poorly understood. Largely due to the continued prohibition on LSD research. As far as anyone can tell, LSD can only serve as a trigger for preexisting conditions. The onset of Schizophrenia is often caused by stress. LSD is very "stressful" and can therefore activate such conditions. To blame LSD is very unfair though as it doesn't give anyone schizophrenia, and people who experience psychotic breaks as a result of LSD use would likely have experienced them at some point with or without drug use.

The one long term effect of LSD that should be worried about is called HPPD, Hallucination Persisting Perception Disorder. This is sometimes misidentified as a "permanent trip" though that's not what it is. This condition only arises in a small number of users, ~3%.

What studies have been done on long-term effects to health of LSD have shown the dangers are minimal and possibly non-existent.

The point is, LSD is a deceptively safe drug, and I don't think Loren was doing anything wrong giving Brian LSD, certainly nothing that he should be admonished for. Whatever conditions might be blamed on the drug were very likely preexisting.
Sorry to crash the 'Freak Out"... But LSD like other drugs opens the doors to more and more drugs. To generalise, this is the major concern with legalising any drug!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 30, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »

Sorry to crash the 'Freak Out"... But LSD like other drugs opens the doors to more and more drugs. To generalise, this is the major concern with legalising any drug!!

This is a classic argument, the "gateway drug" theory. This theory has been highly questioned. In reality alcohol or tobacco use usually precedes use of weed or any other drugs, making them bigger "gateway drugs" than any other substance. Personally I think it's little more than a propaganda tool, there may be a correlation between the use of certain drugs, but statistically, there isn't a case for causation.
LSD also does not really even fit in with this theory, that users are left seeking to experience the thrill of that first "high". Brian only had two or three trips in as many years, and LSD trips can be so profound that people often wait long periods before tripping again in order to properly digest what they experienced.

I just don't think you can blame Loren for anything.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 06:56:21 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 30, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »

A very interesting/funny/informative thread that basically mirrors the above conversion.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9142.0.html

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 30, 2011, 07:43:47 PM »

LSD also does not really even fit in with this theory, that users are left seeking to experience the thrill of that first "high". Brian only had two or three trips in as many years, and LSD trips can be so profound that people often wait long periods before tripping again in order to properly digest what they experienced.

So, have you taken LSD? And if so,How many times? 

I'd say there's some truth to the yearning for the first high, AND:  just as many, if not many more people, didn't wait to "digest their experiences". 
I'd say ask Owsley, but he's, sadly, moved on. 

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 30, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »

This is a classic argument, the "gateway drug" theory. This theory has been highly questioned. In reality alcohol or tobacco use usually precedes use of weed or any other drugs, making them bigger "gateway drugs" than any other substance. Personally I think it's little more than a propaganda tool, there may be a correlation between the use of certain drugs, but statistically, there isn't a case for causation.

There has been alot of research into this recently and also to the damage that the chemicals in the drugs can do to the brain etc etc blah blah
If human nature did not trend towards one experiment leading to another we would still be swinging from tress!!!!!!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 30, 2011, 08:22:27 PM »

There has been alot of research into this recently and also to the damage that the chemicals in the drugs can do to the brain etc etc blah blah
If human nature did not trend towards one experiment leading to another we would still be swinging from tress!!!!!!!

Uh has there been? I think the "etc etc blah blah" part is pretty important. What effects do this research claim? What chemicals? What's your source? I believe the dangers associated with LSD are very overstated by the proponents of the "war on drugs"
If you're saying people naturally experiment from one thing to another, I'd agree. But I don't think you can stretch that out to try and blame one drug or another for future drug use. And what, Loren should have known that Brian would have an uncontrollable drive to experiment with harder drugs years down the road? I don't think that's fair. I just really don't think the guy did anything that makes him a sleezeball.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »

FFS!!
Do your own research!! But here is a little quick concise run down..
http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/lsd/f/lsd_faq04.htm

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 30, 2011, 10:05:33 PM »

Can we get back on topic..Drugs are bad..real bad.. all of them...

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 30, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »

FFS!!

What? You say that "in recent years" new research has been done on the effect of "chemicals" on the brain. I ask for the source to this, like maybe the peer reviewed paper, or any indication at all really of what "chemicals" you were talking about and what "effects" they had been found to have.
Then you just link me to an about.com page, that itself is a reprint of material from a government run website, and on top of that the site you posted didn't even contain anything that I hadn't already addressed in my post, it just lists HPPD and psychosis as possible ill-effects. Go back and read my previous posts on this.
And then you tell me to "for foder's sake" do my own research.  I did do my own research bro, and about.com pages weren't part of it. It seems your "research" was to google "effects of lsd" and click on the first result. Roll Eyes

In short, LSD is a mostly safe drug. Brian Wilson may have been one of the cases where it wasn't so safe, but I've read interviews with him where he says that he had experienced hallucinations associated with his mental disorder before The BB were even formed so to try and pin down blame on either Loren or LSD I think is a waste of time. I certainly don't think Loren is a scumbag/slimeball/jerk or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:27:16 PM by Fishmonk » Logged

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 30, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »

FFS!!

What? You say that "in recent years" new research has been done on the effect of "chemicals" on the brain. I ask for the source to this, like maybe the peer reviewed paper, or any indication at all really of what "chemicals" you were talking about and what "effects" they had been found to have.
Then you just link me to an about.com page, that itself is a reprint of material from a government run website, and on top of that the site you posted didn't even contain anything that I hadn't already addressed in my post, it just lists HPPD and psychosis as possible ill-effects. Go back and read my previous posts on this.
And then you tell me to "for foder's sake" do my own research.  I did do my own research bro, and about.com pages weren't part of it. It seems your "research" was to google "effects of lsd" and click on the first result. Roll Eyes

In short, LSD is a mostly safe drug. Brian Wilson may have been one of the cases where it wasn't so safe, but I've read interviews with him where he says that he had experienced hallucinations associated with his mental disorder before The BB were even formed so to try and pin down blame on either Loren or LSD I think is a waste of time. I certainly don't think Loren is a scumbag/slimeball/jerk or whatever.
I was taking the piss!!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: March 30, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »

FFS!!

I was taking the piss!!

Well rock on then. You sounded just like an anti-drug commercial on American tv.

btw, The Beach Boys are my anti-drug.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 31, 2011, 12:52:12 AM »

Uh has there been? I think the "etc etc blah blah" part is pretty important. What effects do this research claim? What chemicals? What's your source? I believe the dangers associated with LSD are very overstated by the proponents of the "war on drugs"
If you're saying people naturally experiment from one thing to another, I'd agree. But I don't think you can stretch that out to try and blame one drug or another for future drug use. And what, Loren should have known that Brian would have an uncontrollable drive to experiment with harder drugs years down the road? I don't think that's fair. I just really don't think the guy did anything that makes him a sleezeball.

I'm no expert but I'm also under the impression that recent research is revealling drugs such as Cannabis to be less harmful than we'd previously assumed, in that it increases the likelihood of mental health problems later on. Whether these problems were previously dormant or not, I think is irrelevant. If a drug facilitates the awakening of mental health disorders then that has to be taken seriously.

As far as LSD goes I can only talk from personal experience in that it definitely exacerbated problems such as heightened anxiety within me. Whether those would have surfaced later on is debatable but acid was certainly a catalyst. Not that I regret taking it.

I tend to agree with you that Smile wouldn't have happened without LSD, although I think cannabis plays a large part too. The type of fragmentation and experimentation in the music owes a lot to psychoactive drugs imo. Not to diminish Brian and VDP's innate talents, or the cultural and historical influences of the time, but the music is awash with chemicals as far as I can hear.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: March 31, 2011, 01:01:48 AM »

A couple of points:

1. True.
2. Totally unsupported sweeping generalization: there is no way anyone can possibly know. That's your opinion, not a fact as stated.
3. True.
4. Try telling that to the relatives of the kids who took acid then stared at the sun for hours, or thought they could fly and jumped out of windows. Sometimes you do talk complete nonsense.

See, you're doing it again - you're right and everyone else is wrong.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 01:04:55 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »

A couple of points:

1. True.
2. Totally unsupported sweeping generalization: there is no way anyone can possibly know. That's your opinion, not a fact as stated.
3. True.
4. Try telling that to the relatives of the kids who took acid then stared at the sun for hours, or thought they could fly and jumped out of windows. Sometimes you do talk complete nonsense.

I will leave AGD's conclusion to himself (as a personal remark, that is); but in all other aspects he is right. LSD can de-activate your sound judgment for hours on end (something to do with a brain region called the prefrontal cortex), and thus make you do harmful things. And it can set free repressed trauma. As for the latter: to say that LSD is not to blame, in that it only may make vivid that trauma, and so the trauma is the cause of eventual problems - IMHO that is nonsense. Many people live relatively successfully with more or less repressed memories, they can cope with them. It's called 'life', actually. I think that the agent which opens Pandora's Box absolutely must be considered very, very dangerous. In Holland, psychotherapy with Nazi concentration camp survivors, in which LSD was used, was stopped precisely for the above reasons.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 31, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »

A couple of points:

1. True.
3. True.

Yes yes yes, "in my personal opinion..."
And Andrew, the whole starring into the sun thing is actually an unsubstantiated story, probably a hoax. http://www.snopes.com/horrors/drugs/lsdsun.asp
The story of a girl jumping out of a window on lsd comes from a guy named Art Linkletter who was convinced that LSD had directly killed his daughter. This was simply a lie and the postmortem showed no signs that she was on any drugs when she jumped out the window. It was a suicide that her father spun into a story about the dangers of drugs to further his own agenda.

Is LSD a powerful drug? It certainly is one of the most potent. Have some people experienced psychological complications? Yes. Has it caused some people to do stupid things resulting in injury or death? Probably. But put that in perspective, how many people die each year due to incidents related to alcohol? The World Health Organization has reported that 4% of all deaths each year WORLDWIDE involved alcohol. And what about the deaths from lung cancer. What about the 100,000 Americans that die each year as a result of prescription drug side effects? How many die each year due to LSD related incidents? According to the Drug Abuse Warning Network, which tracks mentions of drugs in coroner's reports, it was 5 in 1999, but there hasn't been one since 2004 as far as I can see.
That seems pretty safe to me. Taking into account that many report LSD trips as being some of the most profound and incredible experiences of their lives, I don't blame them for taking the risk, especially considering who the risk is seemingly much lower than many legal drugs.

So I dunno, take that as you will, but considering that most stories like the "you'll go blind starring into the sun" are straight up hoaxes, I would feel pretty confident saying that LSD is relatively harmless. I don't buy into stories of people just magically having their personal judgment "deactivated", I'm sure people make some bad calls while under the influence (but again, compare to alcohol), but the common stories about it are lies and the actual statistics show that there are few if any deaths.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 02:01:08 AM by Fishmonk » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx