gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:28:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine Not Interested In A One-Off Beach Boys Reunion  (Read 38065 times)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2009, 02:51:11 AM »

Scott and Darian would be fine but I would go for a outsider if a new album was proposed. Someone familiar with the target demographic (realistically 40 plus) and not necessarily a fan of their early 60s material, as certain group members would be tempted to stick with the formula and mimic.

Throw caution to the wind and go for a non-fan with no intention of reverting to numbers and willing to challenge group members with new, for them, concepts and methods.

Sounds like a new BB85 to me.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2009, 03:59:38 AM »

IWhat is needed is a personality who can pull something together and mediate amongst the members and shut down the egos and control the thing. That  type of person has not been involved with the Beach Boys for over 40 years and sure as hell wouldn't be welcome now.

Not that Darian Sahanaja would be offered and/or accept the role you described, but, if he was/did, I wonder if Mike would accept him?
I think I read somewhere that Darian can pretty much play any instrument known to man. A band with him and Mike and Bruce with Al and Brian would be way to much ego to handle.   Wink

I volunteer to act as musical and ego coordinator, for free and for how long as it takes!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2009, 07:24:11 AM »

Scott and Darian would be fine but I would go for a outsider if a new album was proposed. Someone familiar with the target demographic (realistically 40 plus) and not necessarily a fan of their early 60s material, as certain group members would be tempted to stick with the formula and mimic.

Throw caution to the wind and go for a non-fan with no intention of reverting to numbers and willing to challenge group members with new, for them, concepts and methods.

Sounds like a new BB85 to me.

Exactly. Of course, that's one of the funny parts. Get somebody to recreate what they are expected to do based on their history, and it's derided for being imitation or even parody of themselves Do something more current and it's blatant pandering to a market in which they don't belong.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »

As Al said, rehearsals would take a month to make it any good, and then what happens after?  How can Mike ever tour as the Beach Boys again?  That's what confuses me about his pro-reunion comments (and makes me doubt them as anything more than trying to look like the bigger person). The one thing that would make it work would be putting out that one last hit summer single, garnering enough casual interest to afford a bigger tour budget that could make including Al and Dave possible, and withstand the reality that Brian wouldn't be joining them after the one-off, as they did for several years post-Kokomo/Beach Boys '85.

Other than the hit summer single, that is a very practical and very possible outcome. It would be a good and official way to welcome Al and Dave back into the band, and give The Beach Boys a more legitimate lineup, not that I think it is necessary OR a priority of Mike's.

As far as Brian is concerned, I think Mike would be optimistic about getting Brian for a reunion concert, not as hopeful for a new collaboration/album, and probably not even envisioning a tour with Brian at this point. A few select dates, maybe. A full-fledged tour, no. That's been reality for decades. You ask how Mike could ever tour again after a reunion? It would be BUSINESS as usual. Unfortunately, it was after Brian quit the road, it was after Dennis died, and it was after Carl passed away. There's no stopping The Beach Boys' touring - until Mike stops it.

You need the single though. 

No, you don't.  Simon & Garfunkel reunited without the need of a single and did quite well.  The Eagles reunited in 2004 long before their new album came out.  Sure, they had released the 9/11 tune "Hole In The World" but I'm pretty confident they would have sold out to the same crowds without it.  Don't forget that Genesis and the Police have reunited in several years without the need of new material.  Ditto with Cream.

I honestly could care less if the surviving members of the Beach Boys reunited.  Carl's passing really squelched any enthusiasm from me.  I'd prefer they just let things be left alone rather than continue to embarrass themselves and the group's name any further.  What would be the single of their new album?  If Mike's involved, how about "Grandpa's Surfin'"??  Oy.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 04:13:24 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 09, 2009, 01:27:59 AM »

As Al said, rehearsals would take a month to make it any good, and then what happens after?  How can Mike ever tour as the Beach Boys again?  That's what confuses me about his pro-reunion comments (and makes me doubt them as anything more than trying to look like the bigger person). The one thing that would make it work would be putting out that one last hit summer single, garnering enough casual interest to afford a bigger tour budget that could make including Al and Dave possible, and withstand the reality that Brian wouldn't be joining them after the one-off, as they did for several years post-Kokomo/Beach Boys '85.

Other than the hit summer single, that is a very practical and very possible outcome. It would be a good and official way to welcome Al and Dave back into the band, and give The Beach Boys a more legitimate lineup, not that I think it is necessary OR a priority of Mike's.

As far as Brian is concerned, I think Mike would be optimistic about getting Brian for a reunion concert, not as hopeful for a new collaboration/album, and probably not even envisioning a tour with Brian at this point. A few select dates, maybe. A full-fledged tour, no. That's been reality for decades. You ask how Mike could ever tour again after a reunion? It would be BUSINESS as usual. Unfortunately, it was after Brian quit the road, it was after Dennis died, and it was after Carl passed away. There's no stopping The Beach Boys' touring - until Mike stops it.

You need the single though. 

No, you don't.  Simon & Garfunkel reunited without the need of a single and did quite well.  The Eagles reunited in 2004 long before their new album came out.  Sure, they had released the 9/11 tune "Hole In The World" but I'm pretty confident they would have sold out to the same crowds without it.  Don't forget that Genesis and the Police have reunited in several years without the need of new material.  Ditto with Cream.

I honestly could care less if the surviving members of the Beach Boys reunited.  Carl's passing really squelched any enthusiasm from me.  I'd prefer they just let things be left alone rather than continue to embarrass themselves and the group's name any further.  What would be the single of their new album?  If Mike's involved, how about "Grandpa's Surfin'"??  Oy.

But as has been pointed out, to the casual fans, the Beach Boys never stopped existing.  In this circumstance, there would have to be at least one new project of some kind to push to the mainstreamers.

Also, show me one track out of Mike's new solo stuff that's a surfing song.  Otherwise, nice job getting another little jab in at the guy you don't like.  What's Brian's contribution going to be, "Grandpa's Insanity"?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 09, 2009, 02:02:04 AM »

I think I read somewhere that Darian can pretty much play any instrument known to man.

Not so - he's worse than useless on the sackbut. Blows in the wrong end.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: August 09, 2009, 12:03:40 PM »

But as has been pointed out, to the casual fans, the Beach Boys never stopped existing.  In this circumstance, there would have to be at least one new project of some kind to push to the mainstreamers.
I don't see why this needs to be. A one-off Beach Boys reunion won't have any "mainstreamers" there anyway. Hardcore fans will be flying in from all over the world.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 09, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »

I don't see why this needs to be. A one-off Beach Boys reunion won't have any "mainstreamers" there anyway. Hardcore fans will be flying in from all over the world.

But Al just said he won't do a one-off, and I actually believe him, and say he has a good point.  If Mike's genuine about getting back together, then good for Al for having him put his money where his mouth is and make an effort.  If Mike wants a one-off with Brian, then he also relents and lets Al and Dave back into the touring band fulltime, and with that, you need something new to push.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2009, 12:48:41 PM »

But Al just said he won't do a one-off, and I actually believe him, and say he has a good point.  If Mike's genuine about getting back together, then good for Al for having him put his money where his mouth is and make an effort.  If Mike wants a one-off with Brian, then he also relents and lets Al and Dave back into the touring band fulltime, and with that, you need something new to push.

First of all, don't believe a word that Al says. Second, JR, you gotta get off this "needing a product to push". They can "push" the same couple of hundred songs they've been pushing for 50 years! police
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 09, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »

If thats the case, no wonder Melinda...I mean Brian isn't interested!

Hey, you have a new lineup potentially, some media interest due to the 50 years thing, why not try a new album?  Do it right though. The minute the word ' cheerleaders' is used in a song by a group of senior's, I'm out. Same with a 'save the whales' or 'woodies fueled by tofu' theme.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2009, 02:44:09 PM »

The minute the word ' cheerleaders' is used in a song by a group of senior's, I'm out. Same with a 'save the whales' or 'woodies fueled by tofu' theme.

On the former, I'm with you: gross. But on the latter, keep in mind it may not just be bandwagon-jumping. The Beach Boys were pushing environmental themes before they hit their 30s. If you don't like it, that's cool, but after 40 years or so of it out of them, I think you can assume their interest is authentic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 09, 2009, 03:12:05 PM »

'Don't Go Near The Water' was great, however the 'Summer In Paradise' single grated.

I'll wait with a open mind then Luther.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 09, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »

Oh, don't mistake my post for any kind of optimism about the quality of a BBs reunion. I highly doubt any such thing would be any good whatsoever. It is possible that it could be, and so I remain cautiously, mildly optimistic. But cynical. (Can a guy be cynically optimistic?) And SIP kind of made me want to shoot myself in the face.

I do like Don't Go Near the Water, though. A lot.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 09, 2009, 04:11:28 PM »

Yeah. Nice balance of tune and subtle lyric while SIP lyric was just to busy IMO.

http://lyrics.doheth.co.uk/songs/beach-boys/surfs-up/dont-go-near-the-water.php

http://lyrics.doheth.co.uk/songs/beach-boys/summer-in-paradise/summer-in-paradise.php
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 09, 2009, 04:17:36 PM »

If thats the case, no wonder Melinda...I mean Brian isn't interested!

Hey, you have a new lineup potentially, some media interest due to the 50 years thing, why not try a new album?  Do it right though. The minute the word ' cheerleaders' is used in a song by a group of senior's, I'm out. Same with a 'save the whales' or 'woodies fueled by tofu' theme.

First, Brian's been performing basically the same setlist as Mike & Bruce, so it wouldn't be a step down or "lowering" himself to sing about surf and turf.

Second, there's nobody that wants a NEW Beach Boys' album more than me. Noobody. But, while I'm optimistic that a reunion of some kind will happen, I don't expect or do I think a new album is necessary. Beating the dead horse again, it's that good old Beach Boys' music that most people want to hear anyway. And I absolutely disagree about the terms cheerleaders, or woodies, coupes, and fun fun fun. THAT'S part of the charm of the reunion! Nobody sang about that stuff like The Beach Boys. That's a major part of the group's legacy, like it or not. And that's gonna be a big part of the hook; give the people what they want. Now is not the time to sing about trees, feel flows, or maharishies (spelling?).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 09, 2009, 04:23:21 PM »

Second, there's nobody that wants a NEW Beach Boys' album more than me. Noobody.

Mike might.

maharishies (spelling?).

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone try to make the plural of the word maharishi before, and certainly not on a message board. Nicely done. Now I want to introduce a new word to our little Interworld. Hmmm. I was going to say "excitations," but I guess that's been used.  Wink

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2009, 04:37:38 PM »

If there is a reunion album, and they don't sing about girls, cars, or summer; what the heck would they sing about?

I really don't expect to hear more songs like 'Vege-tables' at this point.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 09, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »

Second, there's nobody that wants a NEW Beach Boys' album more than me. Noobody.

Mike might.

maharishies (spelling?).

I don't know if I have ever seen anyone try to make the plural of the word maharishi before, and certainly not on a message board. Nicely done. Now I want to introduce a new word to our little Interworld. Hmmm. I was going to say "excitations," but I guess that's been used.  Wink

Razz
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2009, 04:52:08 PM »

If there is a reunion album, and they don't sing about girls, cars, or summer; what the heck would they sing about?

Maybe the days when they sang songs about girls, cars or summer. Isn't that mostly what the past 30 years of songs were about, after all?

But seriously, if they were to do a new album, I don't think anyone would seriously expect some kind of major departure from what they're known for doing. Hopefully, if such a thing were to happen, it would just be fun and tasteful. (i.e. more TLOS than SIP)

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »

As far as new car/ surf songs in this day and age, I think that formula is f*cked!
Play the old ones live by all means but don't attempt any new material.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 09, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »

I want to say you're right, and I'm overwhelmingly convinced that anything new would just infuriate me. That said ... I'd love to hear what happens. Because even if it were decent music from those guys, that would be great. As long as they don't name-drop their own earlier hits, I'd be happy.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 09, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

As far as new car/ surf songs in this day and age, I think that formula is f*cked!
Play the old ones live by all means but don't attempt any new material.

I agree. Live car/surf OK - newly recorded car/surf songs not so OK. Unless they find a producer who can come up with a new, "adult" way to do it. Maybe a "Good Timin" meets "It's OK" meets "Desert Drive". How 'bout that?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:46:23 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 09, 2009, 06:49:12 PM »

Ok...I'd give them one Desert Drive and Good Timin type tune but the Mike Love nasal would have to be set to low on a 2009 'It's OK'! Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:50:50 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2009, 07:30:08 PM »

Your "quick analogy" has sparked a memory of my experience of getting turned on to The Band, and if you'll pardon my musing, I'll try to be as brief:  somehow I'd drifted away from Dylan around the time of "Self Portrait", and wasn't impressed when I first heard "Music from Big Pink".  That changed while touring with The Boys in the spring of '72...  After their Carnegie Hall gigs, Dennis got it in him to do the rest of the tour in a giant motor home, and it created a buzz of others wanting to do it, too.  Carl decided to drive with us, and Al got another one, for he & Bobby & Carlie - probably Billy, too.
There's lots of great stories, (& photos) from that trip, but one of my favorites was Carl running into this little general store, and practically buying out the guys 8track tapes!  Yet somehow, practically the only thing that ever played was "Rag Mama Rag"!  I can picture it as if it was yesterday, the 2 of them singing their asses off to that song over & over, with Carl driving that thing at 80 or 90 miles an hour, while Dennis was whipping up "Golden Cadillacs" in a blender...  I've loved The Band ever since - and loved this band even more!  (By the way, I've still got the 8tracks from that trip.)

Amazing, hi Ed, if you could ever list any of those 8 tracks that would be really interesting!

[/quote]
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »

Wall

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx