gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681048 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 10:26:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official thread for Brian & Al's Official Response to Mike/Bruce Band Tour in the LA Times  (Read 97959 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

Wouldn't it make more sense for The Beach Boys to play Dodger stadium as opposed to Wrigley field

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2012, 10:20:05 AM »

I'm guessing these dates ARE for well in the future. Those venues don't arrange shows two weeks beforehand. Ok, I'm talking out of my ass for MSG and Wrigley, but I do know the Bowl gets these things sorted out waaaaaaaaay in advance. Certainly more lead time than your average Nutty Jerry.

Right.  Unless Brian is already referring to next year regarding these plans then that is another issue all together.  But considering the tone of his response and the sense of "urgency" it implies, it is as if Brian and Al are upset that they're still CURRENTLY not on tour with Mike--right this minute.  As if somehow the MSG and Wrigley shows would have been booked had they all agreed they'd stay together earlier this spring when the reunion tour started.  The tour STILL would have ended 2 weeks ago.  MSG could have been already booked, sure...but Wrigley Field in the fall/winter?
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »

I personally could care less about Mike's commitment to his venues, his fans, his bandmembers and his crew. Gimme a break - we're talking peanut numbers here. It's like saying "I'd like to accept your invitation for dinner at the White House Mr. President, but Tuesday night is Bingo night at the VFW."

Seriously.

So he should cancel his October concerts, tell his band and crew they'll just have to go hungry this year and let down the SOuth American fans who bought tickets?

Is there something else they would be doing at the moment if Mike and Bruce weren't on tour? What's the big deal?
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

It's interesting that Brian mentions David only when he talks about misleading pictures being used in ads for a Mike and Bruce show. Otherwise he mentions Al a lot, that the two of them want to keep going. Where does David stand?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »

Wouldn't it make more sense for The Beach Boys to play Dodger stadium as opposed to Wrigley field

For the weather and location?  Sure.

But Wrigley Field has been doing these summer concerts for the last few years and they have been extremely popular....other acts:  Jimmy Buffet, Billy Joel/Elton John, Paul McCartney.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:58 AM »

I think it's as much about preserving identity and sharing the spotlight, as much as sharing the spotlight would sacrifice some of that identity and "The Beach Boys" member identity becomes something other than what was advertised for the past several years when that spotlight is passed around.

Using the VFW bingo versus White House dinner invite scenario, what if the person calling the bingo was the superstar of that event and got all the attention, versus being one of a hundred nameless and insignificant guests hustled in and out of the banquet room at a state dinner? Some personality types would seek the attention and notoriety of being the big fish in the smaller pond versus the more outward significance of the larger event.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

Using the VFW bingo versus White House dinner invite scenario, what if the person calling the bingo was the superstar of that event and got all the attention, versus being one of a hundred nameless and insignificant guests hustled in and out of the banquet room at a state dinner? Some personality types would seek the attention and notoriety of being the big fish in the smaller pond versus the more outward significance of the larger event.
I think you nailed Mike's train of thought on this matter.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »

Where does David stand?

That's what I'd love to know. He could probably cut though this B.S. pretty quick.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »

I wonder what some of these "fans" would say if it was Brian who had solo concerts booked immediately after the reunion tour, and Al came forward to lobby for a continuance of the reunion tour? Or, WOULD have Al come forward if it was Brian who had commitments? I doubt it. Do you think Brian would've cancelled his solo dates?
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »

Good point. Guitarfool. I was kind of channeling former Cleveland mayor Ralph Perk, who's wife declined dinner at the Nixon White House since Tuesday was her bowling night. Only in Cleveland, and only in Beach Boys land.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2012, 10:28:03 AM »

I wonder what some of these "fans" would say if it was Brian who had solo concerts booked immediately after the reunion tour, and Al came forward to lobby for a continuance of the reunion tour? Or, WOULD have Al come forward if it was Brian who had commitments? I doubt it. Do you think Brian would've cancelled his solo dates?

Yeah, what if Brian recorded Country Love, huh? Not so much of a genius NOW, is he?
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:05 AM »

Loose talk like that will have you committed to a gulag in Hawthorne, California.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2012, 10:33:20 AM »

We have ways of dealing with troublemakers. Do you have any idea how painful it actually is to fill your heart to bursting with spring? Think about it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:30 AM »

I think the confusion would be the same.

But that's such a inconceivable hypothetical. This is a move on Mike Love could do, most sane people would take a few months off after a massive tour like C50 was. Not Mike love, he's back on the road in tow days.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »

It sure is a nice cover to pretend he's motivated by employing The Little Guy (TM) and spreading joy throughout Mudvilles and Centervilles the world over.

Rather than say, exerting more control, getting a bigger chunk of profit, not dealing with Team Brian, and being the main attraction not having to listen to the crowd go absolutely bonkers over some fella behind a fake piano.

Plus, Al leaves a trail of Grape-Nuts wherever he goes. That's got to get annoying.

Maybe but then on the plus side none of the band ever has trouble finding Al when they need him and David gets to eat three square meals a day. Actually didn't Dave say at a press conference that he was in it "mostly for the grape-nuts".
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:36:00 AM by Mike's Beard IV: Beards In Space » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »

But that's such a inconceivable hypothetical. This is a move on Mike Love could do, most sane people would take a few months off after a massive tour like C50 was. Not Mike love, he's back on the road in tow days.

Well, he said the dates were originally spaced out better but adding dates to the 50 tour made the window smaller.

I don't fault a man for loving what he does and having the stamina to do it at his age.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

Well, at least Christian Love won't go hungry.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »

Good point.

I hope Dave doesn't end up forgotten in  all this, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

He IS an employer. I would feel bad if I just left my regular touring band flat. And that configuration of "The Beach Boys" relies on Mike to be there - it's not like Bruce could headline a show.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:05 AM »

I think the confusion would be the same.

But, Brian and Al don't want to take time off after the massive tour. They want to continue - NOW!

But, you didn't answer the question. What if Brian had a few (like Mike & Bruce, a few) shows booked shortly after the reunion tour, and, there was a movement underfoot to continue as The Beach Boys. Would Brian - and his wifeandmanagers - say, "Sure, we'll just cancel our previously contracted solo shows so we can continue as The Beach Boys..."
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

Mike Love's fake facebook account chimes in with misspelled fakery:

"Refrain from writing me all the messages about the band not together anymore. It's a long story and frankly it doesn't have to do with anyone but us. I'm sorry to have disapointed any of you but true fans won't mind either way."

(That's what I get for taking messages at face value. Oh am I ashamed! I blame brianwilson.com posters.)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:58:58 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »

Mike Love's facebook account:

"Refrain from writing me all the messages about the band not together anymore. It's a long story and frankly it doesn't have to do with anyone but us. I'm sorry to have disapointed any of you but true fans won't mind either way."

Gotta love an appeal to "true fans."  

It's not really a long story at all, and they MADE it a public issue. You wanna stir the pot? This is what you get.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2012, 10:44:54 AM »

What if Brian had a few (like Mike & Bruce, a few) shows booked shortly after the reunion tour, and, there was a movement underfoot to continue as The Beach Boys. Would Brian - and his wifeandmanagers - say, "Sure, we'll just cancel our previously contracted solo shows so we can continue as The Beach Boys..."

Quit it.  More logic like that, that makes us understand Mike's point of view will get you kicked out of this board!  Only "we hate Mike" comments in this thread, please.   police
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »

Mike is right to respond that way.  The only reason why Mike and Brian are responding to ANY of this stuff with press releases and formal letters is because of the backlash they're getting from the public/fans.  It's a cylce that goes on and on.  The media is eating this up, stirring the fans with no end in sight. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2012, 10:49:51 AM »

"true fans" aka official Mike Love fan club members. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx