gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681067 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 06:47:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official thread for Brian & Al's Official Response to Mike/Bruce Band Tour in the LA Times  (Read 97999 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 10, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »

Didn't Al mention something about not feeling comfortable around Brian's people?  Wasn't there some incident where, in the middle of a live performance, Brian just got up from his keyboard and proceeded to lie down on the stage?  And this rubbed Al the wrong way?  Could have sworn this was mentioned here not that long ago.

This is the "fainting" incident we were referring to, June 12, 2007 in Saratoga, CA. It happened apparently after it had already been decided that Al wasn't going on the European tour that was to follow. The only thing I've heard in terms of Al discussing the incident afterwards was Jon Stebbins' referencing talking to Al about it. I don't think we got any direct quotes, but Al expressed concern over the situation. But it seemed that it was more about concern about Brian, perhaps concern about whether or how much he should be out playing live gigs.

Actually, I believe this may have been referenced directly in Jon Stebbins' excellent "Beach Boys FAQ."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 05:59:55 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 10, 2012, 06:21:42 PM »

Thatʻs pretty much what I heard.  To Brian, Al was sitting in.  To Al, he was helping put people in the seats but wasnʻt getting paid. Plus he was acting like the co-star around the band, being pissy (cause he wasnʻt getting $). Not sure who initiated his departure but he "Departed to finish his solo album".  Good thing, it took him long enough.  If he had stayed out with Brian, sucker would still be in the works.

I dunno how he was acting around the band, though I've never heard any accounts of him acting negatively. I can say, having seen two shows with Brian and Al in 2007, one the PS tour and one a regular show, that Al acted like anything but the co-star. He was barely given any leads (Then I Kissed Her, Cal Saga, Rhonda, bits of Sloop, WIBN, and I Know There's An Answer, that's about it), and took the side of the stage shaking a tambourine while Scott Bennett took his spot to play guitar on "Marcella", and did all of this looking happy, like he was having fun.

As for the fainting spell also mentioned, I was at that show, and I don't think it was as nefarious as some have suggested. More importantly, as was later revealed, it was the day before that show, back in Monterey recording at Al's studio, that the "decision" was made to not have Al on the European tour that was following. So he played the "fainting show" after they all already knew Al wasn't joining on the tour, and Al wasn't even scheduled or billed to be at that show, so if they had wanted Al out, he wouldn't have even been at that show.
I got this from a very inside source.  Not that Al acted like a co-star onstage, but around the band/crew offstage. He rubbed people the wrong way.  And that he wanted MORE solo spots, better lighting on him, that kind of stuff.  This is just what I was told.  Sounds a lot like this present mess.  Brian and Mike not communicating directly.  Back then, Brian and Al not communicating directly.

I have heard this as well.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 10, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »

I think Melinda should step back from being Brian's business representative or whatever it is she does.  Being his wife, I think it makes her a little too overprotective and personal.  I mean, obviously she should have a say but there are times when it seems like she's a little too involved.

Who else would do it? Who else would want to do it?

Imagine a parallel universe, where Brian is represented by Allen Klein.  Evil
Talk about good cop / bad cop.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 10, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »

Melinda, for all her faults, seems to have ultimately found a good balance.

I agree, tho many, and I am not speaking of fans, disagree.

There are also many, and I'm speaking of imaginary people rather than real ones, who think Melinda is a magical unicorn.

Eh?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »

I just think there's no real benefit for Al to go out with Brian or for Brian to have Al go out with him. It's still not "the Beach Boys" and Brian's not going sell that many more tickets to make it worth it to pay Al more, especially if the tours already weren't making money.

Al obviously won't get the spotlight with Brian around, and he's not going to get the camaraderie of being around the whole group. It just makes more sense for Mike/Bruce, Brian, Al and David to tour and play separately if there's not going to be one whole Beach Boys. Brian Wilson featuring Al Jardine and David Marks doesn't exactly have a real ring to it.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

One of the interviews during the reunion tour said that Al and David were casually talking about doing an acoustic tour together.  Now, that I would like to see.  It also makes me believe they weren't seriously thinking the reunion tour would continue much more than what it did, or they wouldn't have been talking about what to do after the tour was over. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »

One of the interviews during the reunion tour said that Al and David were casually talking about doing an acoustic tour together.  Now, that I would like to see.  It also makes me believe they weren't seriously thinking the reunion tour would continue much more than what it did, or they wouldn't have been talking about what to do after the tour was over. 

Or that the full band reunion would not be a 365-day-a-year thing, and that they would have some downtime to do solo acoustic shows. You know, the way people in non-crazy bands do.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2012, 10:51:23 PM »

If Mike were to dismantle his version of the BB's, letting all the musicians go into to other jobs and disband the whole operation, what happens if Brian decides in six months, a year, that he no longer wants to be a Beach Boy? I mean, in 2011, Brian said he didn't want to tour with the band again, and now he doesn't want to stop. I don't think it is unreasonable for Mike, having known Brian for his entire life, to fear placing his future livelihood at the whims of Brian Wilson.    

there are only two members of Mike's band that weren't part of the reunion band or its touring entourage, and one of them is Mike's son. so I don't think this is an issue.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:35 AM »

Thatʻs pretty much what I heard.  To Brian, Al was sitting in.  To Al, he was helping put people in the seats but wasnʻt getting paid. Plus he was acting like the co-star around the band, being pissy (cause he wasnʻt getting $). Not sure who initiated his departure but he "Departed to finish his solo album".  Good thing, it took him long enough.  If he had stayed out with Brian, sucker would still be in the works.

I dunno how he was acting around the band, though I've never heard any accounts of him acting negatively. I can say, having seen two shows with Brian and Al in 2007, one the PS tour and one a regular show, that Al acted like anything but the co-star. He was barely given any leads (Then I Kissed Her, Cal Saga, Rhonda, bits of Sloop, WIBN, and I Know There's An Answer, that's about it), and took the side of the stage shaking a tambourine while Scott Bennett took his spot to play guitar on "Marcella", and did all of this looking happy, like he was having fun.

As for the fainting spell also mentioned, I was at that show, and I don't think it was as nefarious as some have suggested. More importantly, as was later revealed, it was the day before that show, back in Monterey recording at Al's studio, that the "decision" was made to not have Al on the European tour that was following. So he played the "fainting show" after they all already knew Al wasn't joining on the tour, and Al wasn't even scheduled or billed to be at that show, so if they had wanted Al out, he wouldn't have even been at that show.
I got this from a very inside source.  Not that Al acted like a co-star onstage, but around the band/crew offstage. He rubbed people the wrong way.  And that he wanted MORE solo spots, better lighting on him, that kind of stuff.  This is just what I was told.  Sounds a lot like this present mess.  Brian and Mike not communicating directly.  Back then, Brian and Al not communicating directly.

It's a very simple scenario: essentially, Alan invited himself on that tour, then proceeded to get himself uninvited. Wouldn't say it's common knowledge, but enough folk here are aware of the detail.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2012, 02:44:34 AM »

I honestly don't understand what Mike and Bruce get out of touring small venues, the money can't be that great for guys wealthy as them.
I don't know about Bruce, but I had a newspaper article years ago, can't remember if it was before the 92 Oz tour or 99 tour where Mike said he was addicted to the adulation he gets when on stage regardless of when or where. Would be one reason he can't stay home and mow the lawns. The plants don't laugh and cheer at his routine
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2012, 03:20:36 AM »

This is a bit off-topic, but when was the last year any these guys actually had to go on tour (or do anything) to feed their families? I mean, they are the Beach Boys, after all. My guess is that they could have called it a day after Endless Summer, and still live nicely on royalties for the rest of their lives. Mike and Brian, at least.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
MBE
« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2012, 04:49:02 AM »

Thatʻs pretty much what I heard.  To Brian, Al was sitting in.  To Al, he was helping put people in the seats but wasnʻt getting paid. Plus he was acting like the co-star around the band, being pissy (cause he wasnʻt getting $). Not sure who initiated his departure but he "Departed to finish his solo album".  Good thing, it took him long enough.  If he had stayed out with Brian, sucker would still be in the works.

I got this from a very inside source.  Not that Al acted like a co-star onstage, but around the band/crew offstage. He rubbed people the wrong way.  And that he wanted MORE solo spots, better lighting on him, that kind of stuff.  This is just what I was told.  Sounds a lot like this present mess.  Brian and Mike not communicating directly.  Back then, Brian and Al not communicating directly.

It's a very simple scenario: essentially, Alan invited himself on that tour, then proceeded to get himself uninvited. Wouldn't say it's common knowledge, but enough folk here are aware of the detail.
No doubt this is true but I feel I should say something. Though I heard Al can occasionally be difficult (like all of us), I have rarely talked to a nicer person.
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2012, 05:50:02 AM »

From Al's site yesterday:
http://www.aljardine.com/news.html

And a new CBS article, with extra-quotes from Brian:
http://www.cbs3springfield.com/story/19783557/beach-boys-wilson-band-dustup-bummed-me-out
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »

THANK YOU FROM AL JARDINE

I want to thank all of the fans who came out to see us on our 50th Anniversary Reunion Tour. It was a great pleasure and honor to perform with my band mates again after all these years! As Mike Love was often heard saying, "the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts." I couldn't agree more. Standing alongside the architect of the music, Brian Wilson, he told me "this is the best group I have ever worked with," referring to the back up band behind us. I was thrilled to play my role in this extraordinary musical experience! Sometimes you have to be good. And sometimes you have to be good and lucky. We got lucky this year with good voice and health and had the best crew and managerial staff, a band could ask for. I hope we can do it again sometime soon for those of you who missed us first time 'round.

In the meantime, 'see you on the radio'   --Al Jardine, Oct 2012

Nice message from Al, pretty much sums up all out thoughts and hopes

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:16 AM »

BTW: the double appearance of the word 'official' in the threat title makes me chuckle every time. It's really droll - as if something needs urgently to be stressed and re-confirmed to make sure.

It also generates the impression that there are lots of unofficial (clandestine?) threads and posts flying around here.

Is that so?  Shocked

Then I must make a call to the wife and managers.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko1234
« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »

THANK YOU FROM AL JARDINE

I want to thank all of the fans who came out to see us on our 50th Anniversary Reunion Tour. It was a great pleasure and honor to perform with my band mates again after all these years! As Mike Love was often heard saying, "the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts." I couldn't agree more. Standing alongside the architect of the music, Brian Wilson, he told me "this is the best group I have ever worked with," referring to the back up band behind us. I was thrilled to play my role in this extraordinary musical experience! Sometimes you have to be good. And sometimes you have to be good and lucky. We got lucky this year with good voice and health and had the best crew and managerial staff, a band could ask for. I hope we can do it again sometime soon for those of you who missed us first time 'round.

In the meantime, 'see you on the radio'   --Al Jardine, Oct 2012

Nice message from Al, pretty much sums up all out thoughts and hopes

That is indeed a very good message. It`s a shame that Al`s Facebook page makes him look a bit desperate as whoever is running it has made some strange posts. This is full of class though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »

For your consideration:

June 26th - in a Rolling Stone article, Mike announces he's booked post-C50 dates with the BRI-sanctioned lineup. Brian comments "I wasn't aware that Mike had some shows in South America. News to me."

September 23rd - at the opening of the BB exhibit at the Grammy Museum, Mike issues a press release underlining the composition of the band touring in October. Brian expresses surprise (at something he knew about and commented on three months previously), stating "I'm disappointed and can't understand why he doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys."

October 5th - Mike sends a letter to the LA Times explaining that, amongst other things, he issued the original press release at the request of Brian's representative.

October 7th - also in the LA Times, Brian responds to Mike's explanation, stating that "my attorney merely suggested to Mike's attorney that a possible press release in those markets might be appropriate to stop the confusion, which was in no one's best interest"... and also "I'm disappointed that Mike would now say that the release was done at the request of my representative".

Someone care to explain to me exactly how Mike's emerged from this as the bad guy when he did not only exactly what Brian's representative requested, but also something Brian had been aware of for three months ?

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 11, 2012, 08:48:07 AM »

Because, even though Mike appears to have done the right thing in this context, we all want the reunion to continue and this is really depressing?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 11, 2012, 08:58:27 AM »

Because, even though Mike appears to have done the right thing in this context, we all want the reunion to continue and this is really depressing?

It's feelings vs. realism and facts. The tour was extremely successful and well-received, and prolonged also. I can understand your desires very well therefore. But I can't find no fault with Mike having read AGD's account. It's not that Mike is deliberately spoiling our fun and happiness. He complied with various ad hoc changes in the tour. And he wants to honour obligations he made long months ago, when it wasn't really certain that the tour would go the way it did.

We had a damn good thing, and want to hold on to that. Makes sense. But did Mike play mean? No - I think his timing may have been imperfect, at one or two occasions. That's all.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 11, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »

For me, the funniest thing about all this nonsense - and it is luminous nonsense - is the Blooies who, having previously stated loudly they didn't want their Brian anywhere near the evil they perceive to be Mike Love, are now equally vociferous that they want exactly this to happen for the immediate and long-term future. You just couldn't make it up, could you ?  Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 11, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »

Really, that's somehow supposed to be funny or ironic? Well, whatever gets you through the night.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #321 on: October 11, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »

Try hypocritical.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 11, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Right on the money, Andrew.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »

For me, the funniest thing about all this nonsense - and it is luminous nonsense - is the Blooies who, having previously stated loudly they didn't want their Brian anywhere near the evil they perceive to be Mike Love, are now equally vociferous that they want exactly this to happen for the immediate and long-term future. You just couldn't make it up, could you ?  Grin
Your tribal obsession with people with whom you don't even bother to engage is unhealthy. If you're so concerned about the posters on Brian's site, reason with them; if there's no reasoning with them, accept it and move on. Whatever you do, please spare us your tantrums about how unfair it all is.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »

For your consideration:

June 26th - in a Rolling Stone article, Mike announces he's booked post-C50 dates with the BRI-sanctioned lineup. Brian comments "I wasn't aware that Mike had some shows in South America. News to me."

September 23rd - at the opening of the BB exhibit at the Grammy Museum, Mike issues a press release underlining the composition of the band touring in October. Brian expresses surprise (at something he knew about and commented on three months previously), stating "I'm disappointed and can't understand why he doesn't want to tour with Al, David and me. We are out here having so much fun. After all, we are the real Beach Boys."

October 5th - Mike sends a letter to the LA Times explaining that, amongst other things, he issued the original press release at the request of Brian's representative.

October 7th - also in the LA Times, Brian responds to Mike's explanation, stating that "my attorney merely suggested to Mike's attorney that a possible press release in those markets might be appropriate to stop the confusion, which was in no one's best interest"... and also "I'm disappointed that Mike would now say that the release was done at the request of my representative".

Someone care to explain to me exactly how Mike's emerged from this as the bad guy when he did not only exactly what Brian's representative requested, but also something Brian had been aware of for three months ?

We get it Andrew. You're friends with Bruce and you are taking their side, because you want your "inside source" still. It's cool.

Get this: We are unhappy with Mike because he doesn't want to continue the group with Brian and Al. Nobody cares about his little half-assed shows!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:29:15 AM by sweetdudejim » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 20 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx