gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680976 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 12:09:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE release thoughts from a returnee and some questions for the scholars  (Read 57877 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »

Also it should be noted that the press release does not say SMiLE was canceled. It actually states very clearly that it was to be "shelved" and makes a distinction between the two.
And the vocal element of Smile was not present during most of April and early May. What are we left with in 2011?? All the tracks!! But not all the vocals!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »

Also it should be noted that the press release does not say SMiLE was canceled. It actually states very clearly that it was to be "shelved" and makes a distinction between the two.

I don't know about "shelved," but the term "scrapped" was certainly used.

"Every beautifully designed, finely wrought, inspirationally welded piece of music made these last months by Brian has been scrapped."

There's no implication there that Brian would be coming back to Smile in the days, weeks, months or years ahead.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2011, 05:20:15 PM »

Not for nothing, but "Dada" has the same project number on the session worksheets as all of the other Smile sessions - maybe it doesn't mean anything by itself, but that's how it gets lumped into the time period with everything else.  There's always the possibility that they just wanted a project number to throw on there, or Diane just assumed that it was for Smile.  

As far as the cancellation goes, maybe Brian told Taylor the project was scrapped, had a momentary idea to revive it by working on "Dada," but (as usual) his enthusiasm for the project died again very quickly.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2011, 05:21:53 PM »

It says it was "srapped" and it was in the May 6th iss not the 5th like I said.

Let's put it another way, what is the evidence that SMiLE was not scrapped before May 6? What is the evidence that ILTSDD was to even be on the SMiLE album?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2011, 05:26:09 PM »

Not for nothing, but "Dada" has the same project number on the session worksheets as all of the other Smile sessions - maybe it doesn't mean anything by itself, but that's how it gets lumped into the time period with everything else.  There's always the possibility that they just wanted a project number to throw on there, or Diane just assumed that it was for Smile.  

As far as the cancellation goes, maybe Brian told Taylor the project was scrapped, had a momentary idea to revive it by working on "Dada," but (as usual) his enthusiasm for the project died again very quickly.

I don't have that type of documentation for those sessions but I believe that project number continued on through Smiley even after Brothers was supposedly the label. So I don't think that is a help unless all of Smiley was actually recorded for SMiLE. Just kidding.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2011, 05:31:37 PM »

Taylor was a stooge for The Beatles..A mind gangster

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

Of course, there is Andrew, who has said it on his site. So, I have a feeling that when he wakes up he will wade in and explain why ILTSDD is a SMiLE recording.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »

Taylor was a stooge for The Beatles..A mind gangster

I think at that time Taylor was the BBs [and Beatles] former press agent and he was a correspondent for several music and teen mags/rags and on the committee for Monterey Pop.

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »

Of course, there is Andrew, who has said it on his site. So, I have a feeling that when he wakes up he will wade in and explain why ILTSDD is a SMiLE recording.
I hope so!!

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »

I don't have that type of documentation for those sessions but I believe that project number continued on through Smiley even after Brothers was supposedly the label. So I don't think that is a help unless all of Smiley was actually recorded for SMiLE. Just kidding.

That could very well be - all I've got in front of me are some of the Smile session worksheets (from LLVS), so I'm sure there are others out there who would know better than I.  We'll see what AGD has to say on the subject!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »

Even if by some fluke I turned out to be right, ILTSDD, Tones, possibly Vegetables, etc. could be included as 'tweener tracks.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »

Ok, I can't keep up with all the threads about this. Having not read this entire thread, I hope what I am going to say hasn't been talked to death already.  Grin

I think that whoever compiles this set shouldn't go past 1967 for material. I also think that there should be one cd reserved for presenting music "as is". That means no second half of Surf's Up. The track should end abruptly, where work on the song ended. I know, it won't make the song sound "complete". But historical integrity should be taken into consideration. That also means no lead vocal on Surf's Up. Same goes for "Cabinessence", "I Wanna Be Around", "I'm In Great Shape", and any other song that I may be forgetting at the moment.  Grin

Having said that, I think that there should be a cd of "experiments". They could try to synch Brian's vocal from the "studio demo" of "Surf's Up" with the backing track of "part 1" for example. They could also use the "studio demo" for the second half of "Surf's Up as well. They could also synch Brian's vocal on the "demo" of "Barnyard" with the backing track. They could also try the same with "I'm In Great Shape".

One thing I think should NOT be done in any circumstance is "manipulation" of the original recordings. Meaning, no looping of sections that weren't meant to be looped, and no "artificial lengthening" of songs to make them longer than they were intended to be. However, this raises at least two major questions(there may be more that I'm forgetting at the moment). Should Carl's 1968 vocal of "Cabinessence" be put on the 1966(?) track? Does that fit the "experiment theme", as I have discussed above? Or is it "manipulation"? The same goes with "Do You Like Worms?". On the 1993 box set, there are "backing vocals" in the melody where the second verse would go. Should they also be in the melody where the first verse would go? Is there any indication that there would have been backing vocals being sung as Brian or Carl sang the verses? If not, would that count as "manipulating" the song?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2011, 01:15:30 AM »

Hey all! SMiLEY has returned after about five years away.

In the aftermath of BWPS, I was not so much burned-out on Brian, and SMiLE, and the Beach Boys as I was just tired of talking about it, or arguing which was just as often the case, and I really got tired of political rants.

But, good old SMiLE has brought me back. From what I've seen in this thread, not much has changed - lots of opinions, and everybody demanding that SMiLE be done their way.  Roll Eyes Haven't seen too much in the way of
politics yet, thankfully. Anyway, my .02 worth --

I couldn't give two hoots about the so-called running order on Diane Rovell's list, there was so much done after it was written that it is useful only in being a snapshot of what might have been in December '66, but the album continued to evolve after it, and I believe the running order could have been different on any given day before May 6, 1967. All I care about is that all the tracks be released as exhaustively as possible (multiple mixes, different versions -- I want them all!). Judging from Mark L's comments -- I have high hopes that is exactly what will happen. If Brian is happy with it, I see no reason anyone else should feel differently.

Anyway -- it's good to be back.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »

I think Brian told Taylor he'd had enough and was canning Smile then - being Brian - changed his mind while the band were touring Europe and had another crack. And then gave up. Twilight's last gleaming.

or, alternatively - because I damn well say so ! Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 17, 2011, 01:28:47 AM »

Hey all! SMiLEY has returned after about five years away.

In the aftermath of BWPS, I was not so much burned-out on Brian, and SMiLE, and the Beach Boys as I was just tired of talking about it, or arguing which was just as often the case, and I really got tired of political rants.

But, good old SMiLE has brought me back. From what I've seen in this thread, not much has changed - lots of opinions, and everybody demanding that SMiLE be done their way.  Roll Eyes Haven't seen too much in the way of
politics yet, thankfully. Anyway, my .02 worth --

I couldn't give two hoots about the so-called running order on Diane Rovell's list, there was so much done after it was written that it is useful only in being a snapshot of what might have been in December '66, but the album continued to evolve after it, and I believe the running order could have been different on any given day before May 6, 1967. All I care about is that all the tracks be released as exhaustively as possible (multiple mixes, different versions -- I want them all!). Judging from Mark L's comments -- I have high hopes that is exactly what will happen. If Brian is happy with it, I see no reason anyone else should feel differently.

Anyway -- it's good to be back.

Welcome back Smiley, and agreed on the above!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »

I think Brian told Taylor he'd had enough and was canning Smile then - being Brian - changed his mind while the band were touring Europe and had another crack. And then gave up. Twilight's last gleaming.

or, alternatively - because I damn well say so ! Grin

I think you are right, he couldn't stop tinkering with it even when he's supposedly canned it. Later, there was to be a ten-track version after Smiley (which is itself a rethinking of SMiLE), even much later on his conversations with Peter Reum showed he was still rejiggering it in his mind.

SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2011, 01:40:56 AM »

[/quote]

Welcome back Smiley, and agreed on the above!
[/quote]

Why thank ye!  Smiley

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »

Well, I guess this is another issue where there will be two camps; that will leave us something to SMiLEboard about in the future.

desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:53 AM »

BTW it is a dobro on CE

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2011, 05:17:34 AM »

I was just re-reading DPs book that came out after the release of BWPS and he seemed quite certain that the Elements section was "not right"

He seemed to be saying that Wanna Be Around/Workshop was supposed to have gone after MOC - has this any substance??

Cheers

Richard
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2011, 05:31:16 AM »

There is a quote from Carol Kaye to that effect, who apparently is going on what Brian told her during sessions. How much you trust Carol Kaye, Motown's greatest bass player, is entirely up to you.... Roll Eyes

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2011, 05:46:59 AM »

There is a quote from Carol Kaye to that effect, who apparently is going on what Brian told her during sessions. How much you trust Carol Kaye, Motown's greatest bass player, is entirely up to you.... Roll Eyes

I just spat tea all over my monitor.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2011, 05:50:16 AM »

Haha - thanks

Cheers

Richard
desmondo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2011, 05:51:41 AM »

She and Bernard Purdie made a great Beatles rhythm section

Cheers

Richard
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »

She and Bernard Purdie made a great Beatles rhythm section

Tut tut, chaps, no jokes at the expense of the lady who played bass on all hits by the Doors, please.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx