gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680981 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 07:32:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE release thoughts from a returnee and some questions for the scholars  (Read 57880 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »

I will only add that the copy editing job done on Mark's interview was pretty weak and left a number of responses unclear. Certainly the syntax of the quote regarding the "slightly longer version of 'Heroes & Villains'" was so screwed up as to make the quote unintelligible.
I hear you and I agree. As Andrew pointed out, even Mark isn't quite sure how this will all work out in the end, but he does have a conondrum with the 3 sided album when the original Smile was ony two. That is pretty clear. Three sides most likely means three movements. That is getting into BWPS territory. As I stated earlier, after waiting 45 years, at this point all I care is that it is finally getting released.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:09 PM »

Al said in the 'quotes from band members' thread somebody else started, that he just listened to some of his acetates from SMiLE recently.  So now there's more confirmed stuff that may be cool and unbooted.  What if, What if for Al's birthday, Brian made him a rough mix of the whole album?

BTW when was Al's birthday?  lol
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »

Al said in the 'quotes from band members' thread somebody else started, that he just listened to some of his acetates from SMiLE recently.  So now there's more confirmed stuff that may be cool and unbooted.  What if, What if for Al's birthday, Brian made him a rough mix of the whole album?

Was just going to point out the minor flaw in your theory.

September 3rd.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 16, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »

I think this is the paradox that upturns the whole "no Cabinessence lead vocals" argument. There's no end point with Smile so those Cabinessence vocals are still legit imo...

So... the Smiley Smile sessions were really for Smile, as were those for Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20... you get my drift ?

Brian stopped working on Smile on May 18th 1967, in truth probably somewhat earlier in his own mind. Wild Honey was not Smile.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:01:01 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2011, 01:06:17 PM »

I think this is the paradox that upturns the whole "no Cabinessence lead vocals" argument. There's no end point with Smile so those Cabinessence vocals are still legit imo...

So... the Smiley Smile sessions were really for Smile, as were those for Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20... you get my drift ?

Brian stopped working on Smile on May 18th 1967, in truth probably somewhat earlier in his own mind. Wild Honey was not Smile.

Yeah the leap in logic there was pretty incongruous to say the least.  Just because certain tracks were salvaged for later release doesn't mean that Smile, as a recording project, wasn't finished (as in, recording was permanently ceased) in 1967.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »

I think he means that the words and melody were pre-May 1967. So it would be ashamed to just wash those away because there were never actually put to tape before then.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »

I think he means that the words and melody were pre-May 1967. So it would be ashamed to just wash those away because there were never actually put to tape before then.

OK... the name of this release is The Smile Sessions, that is, sessions for the Smile album - care to explain how sessions from, say Surf's Up fit into this picture ?  Suppose they did a 1974 Sessions project - would you include the 15BO version of "It's OK" ?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »

Devil's advocate: Can't continuing work on a Smile track be considered a Smile session? Now, if Box Set is named: The Smile Sessions (1966-1967), then by all means, I agree with you whole heartedly.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

My point being here, if Smile was to have been released in 1972 and work commenced on the the unfinished tracks in 1971, technically they would still be Smile Sessions.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2011, 01:34:26 PM »

OK... the name of this release is The Smile Sessions, that is, sessions for the Smile album - care to explain how sessions from, say Surf's Up fit into this picture ?  Suppose they did a 1974 Sessions project - would you include the 15BO version of "It's OK" ?

I understand that. Really. Even the first time you posted that, I understood it. I was just saying I can see where buddhahat is coming from.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »

September 3rd.  Grin

Mike's birthday was yesterday, reckon that's a better fit?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

My point being here, if Smile was to have been released in 1972 and work commenced on the the unfinished tracks in 1971, technically they would still be Smile Sessions.

Yes. But it wasn't. And they didn't. So they aren't.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »

Devil's advocate: Can't continuing work on a Smile track be considered a Smile session? Now, if Box Set is named: The Smile Sessions (1966-1967), then by all means, I agree with you whole heartedly.

Simple question - two, actually: what album was "Cabin Essence" with Carl's vocal released on ? Was Carl recording that vocal specifically for release on Smile ?

Should warn you, I can keep this up for a very long time. You'll get bored long before I do.   Dead Horse
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:41:59 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2011, 01:41:50 PM »

Sgt. Pepper clocks in right at 40 mins i believe.

it's silly for anyone to insist that SMiLE would have been under 40 mins.

and it was entirely possible for an album to go 25 mins or so per side.

we're only talking a few extra minutes of music here people...

I have no problem with the 3 Movements. It's perfectly logical.
I think if you flip Movements 2 and 3 on BWPS, you are very close to what SMiLE's original tracklist would have been.

I really just hope they don't close the sequence with Good Vibrations, as that seems to be a completely 2004 decision.

I like Good Vibrations as the first song on SMiLE, it's a killer opener and you get it out of the way for the real mind-blowing stuff.
Prayer sounds great on the heels of GV, imho
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »

Yes. But it wasn't. And they didn't. So they aren't.  Grin
I guess you told me!

lmao

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2011, 01:45:48 PM »

I think if you flip Movements 2 and 3 on BWPS, you are very close to what SMiLE's original tracklist would have been.

Given that no such thing ever existed, that's a truly audacious statement. Care to amplify ?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »

Simple question - two, actually: what album was "Cabin Essence" with Carl's vocal released on ? Was Carl recording that vocal specifically for release on Smile ?

Should warn you, I can keep this up for a very long time. You'll get bored long before I do.   Dead Horse
You are right, of course, but I will still bet you Carl's vocal is included on Disc 1?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »

Yeah the leap in logic there was pretty incongruous to say the least.  Just because certain tracks were salvaged for later release doesn't mean that Smile, as a recording project, wasn't finished (as in, recording was permanently ceased) in 1967.

Bookending the project firmly between the end of the Pet Sounds sessions and the start of Smiley makes fine, logical sense, but this type of inflexible, black and white thinking will strangle any creativity that Mark and Alan care to bring to the project if you ask me. That's why I'm pretty sure we'll see the lead for Cabinessence on the box, along with some influence from the BWPS sequence.

Smile exists beyond 1967. No of course Wild Honey isn't Smile, although AGD suspects Air is in there somewhere, and we know a bit of Vegetables made the cut. Smile wasn't finished. It bled out into subsequent albums. Stop trying to constrain it within specific dates, or at least don't set yourselves up for huge disappointment when it doesn't conform to your idea of what it should be.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »

Let's muddy the cool cool water further: isn't the accepted wisdom that the 1966-67 Smile was to be one banded LP, no segues?   Or has the subsequent research and the new "science" revealed a different likely outcome?  The banded-LP version would have been well under 40 minutes, cloer to 35 would have been the likely norm.

Strictly speaking, the 3-movement BWPS still could easily fit on one LP - 47 minutes long.  The sound would have been more compressed, though, 23 minutes per side instead of 16 minutes, plus the second movement would be broken up for the side break.  Hence the "audiophile" 2-LP pressing with one movement per side plus stack-o-track side.    Three sides for this new configuration might be overkill - unless they have enough interesting stuff to fill  three sides so it isn't.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »

The only reason Smile 'bled out into subsequent albums' was purely mercenary - the band were hurting for material. That's all.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2011, 01:55:31 PM »

Stop trying to constrain it within specific dates, or at least don't set yourselves up for huge disappointment when it doesn't conform to your idea of what it should be.

I think that is advice we would all do well to heed no matter what our opinions are.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 01:57:33 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:19 PM »

September 3rd.  Grin

Maybe Al's really big on Valentines day.  So Maybe, for Valentines day...  .... eh, no that probably won't work either.  I'll keep dreamin.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2011, 01:59:30 PM »

agreee 100 percent w/buddhahat
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »

Given that this is The Smile Sessions, is it really necessary for there to be an attempt at compiling the album at all?  Clearly this is going to be the point everyone complains about, especially since they're complaining already.  If anyone wants to hear a cohesive album from the material we already have that.  I know this cat isn't going back in the bag, I'm just saying.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2011, 02:22:02 PM »

So... the Smiley Smile sessions were really for Smile], as were those for Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20... you get my drift ?

I'd say so, and not just in his own mind, given the May 2 press release announcing that Smile had been scrapped.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx