gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:19:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Those Amazing Moments In Film Soundtrack History...  (Read 2458 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

I have quite a few, this particular one was on my mind...part of those moments where you're watching a film, and the images on screen combined with the music playing under the scene just stuns you as you're watching, and it's impossible to forget or shake off. Then you have to watch it again to see if it really was *that* good, and it usually is. Then you watch years later, and it still packs a punch. Most of mine come from the 60's and early 70's (no surprise), and everyone who tries to identify the true origins of music video style should study 1964 to 1969 very close...

So this is quite an amazing montage from "Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid", 1969: Music by Burt Bacharach, the song is "South American Getaway". Directed by George Roy Hill, cinematography by Conrad Hall, written by William Goldman. Bacharach, Goldman, and Hall won Academy Awards for their work on this film, Hill was nominated.

This scene is one of the best 5 minutes of film and music I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xrc1kYbLZM

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »

Great thread and I hope people contribute!

Mission to Mars final 5 minutes - Ennio Morricone
The mix of visuals and the incredible soundtrack make this one of my absolute favorite scenes.
soundtrack only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UevpqvKxoPI

In The Shadow Of The Moon; there's a scene where an X15 jet is soaring through the sky and the soundtrack is just phenomenal with it:
soundtrack only: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQH4VJsdGpc

Then one of my absolute favorites is the Cadillac of the Sky scene from 'Empire of the Sun'
actual scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ouJ_WyS9v8

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:19:49 AM »

Great thread and I hope people contribute!

Rab, it looks like we must be the only two that watch movies. Grin

Great additions, and I have more in mind which hopefully are available on YouTube as the handful so far.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:10:54 PM »

This from 3:38 on never fails to astound me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qieszaz4peM

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »

This is from a 1979 film called "Over The Edge", and while this scene isn't necessarily "legendary" or technically groundbreaking (it is a car chase, after all...), I never forgot it. I caught this on afternoon television when I was about 13 or 14, some parts were edited for broadcast. I never forgot hearing a Jimi Hendrix song with the burning wah-wah solo which I had not heard until seeing this film, and the fact that it was during a desert car chase stuck with me.

Then years later, the film had an added buzz after word spread that it was one of Kurt Cobain's favorite films. Also found out it was based on a true story - facts you didn't see on broadcast television. And after watching it, I see certain scenes and film techniques in another favorite movie of mine, "Dazed And Confused", whether Richard Linklater did that intentionally or not, I'm not sure. I could post more than a few scenes from that film here, too!

The scene with Hendrix's song is 54:18 to 56:43 on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W69WV8BNLs

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »

Over The Edge is one of my favorite films, I have seen it far too many times. There are so many stunning musical moments in the film, here for me is the most indelible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCpUq1Tmd0o

Linklater was indeed influenced by Over The Edge, he mentions the film in his Dazed commentary.

Speaking of Dazed, my very favorite film of all time, here is THE musical moment from that work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7aEi6c8cWI

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

I'd also add 'West Side Story' to the mix - pretty much the entirety of the movie is a stunning musical moment.

There's also a scene in Mr. Holland's Opus where I think Beethoven's 7th segues into John Lennon's Imagine with Viet Nam footage playing throughout. It's quite emotional.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »

Couldn't find a clip online but one of my favorite scenes ever is the scene in Two Lane Blacktop at the gas station when Kris Kristofferson's "Me and Bobby McGee" is playing. Absolutely great !!

And another scene, which I also couldn't find is in Elvis' "It happened at the world's fair" the song "They remind me too much of you".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »

That's cool to know about Linklater and Over The Edge: Most of my films in the collection, including Dazed, are still on VHS so I'm missing out on a lot of the trivia and info! Watching both films, you can spot the connections: Just one scene, the way Linklater shot the last scene of the car driving on the way to get the concert tickets, looked like a driving scene from Over The Edge when I randomly searched for it on YouTube to post here, more the way it looked and was shot than the actual place in the storyline.

Dazed And Confused is full of those magical music moments, it's definitely a favorite. I love the way Linklater went for the slow-motion when the girls are getting hazed in the parking lot, set to War's "Why Can't We Be Friends?". The look on the freshman girl's face is priceless, because she looks thrilled and amazed at the same time that she was being included in something she probably didn't think she'd be asked to join, even though they are having all kinds of food thrown on them and being asked to do silly things. She's a part of something, and it's a fun scene to watch. The groove of the War song just fits so well, it's an awesome scene. And a lot of those actors were unknowns, yet how great is the acting in that movie?

Another favorite: I don't think Free Ride has ever sounded as good as it does in the film.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:20 PM »

I just watched this sequence on YouTube for the very first time, literally about 10 minutes ago. I'm not sure if this is what guitarfool2002 means, but I'm completely blown away. I need to see this movie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »

That scene in Forrest Gump when Forrest is in Vietnam, and they're flying into the jungle while "fortunate Son" blazes over the soundtrack. 

Just gets your blood pumpin, it sums up about 6 years of Forrest's life with just a few guitar licks. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:14 AM »

I just watched this sequence on YouTube for the very first time, literally about 10 minutes ago. I'm not sure if this is what guitarfool2002 means, but I'm completely blown away. I need to see this movie! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou6JNQwPWE0

Watch it ASAP if you haven't seen it!

One of my favorite films ever.

Though not apart of the film, this video mixes music and the incredible cinematography from 2001 (one of the most moving youtube videos I've seen):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zCyN4MQn5w

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx