gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681088 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 03:51:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should this discussion be moved to the Sandbox?
Naahh, Beach Boys, SMiLE and drugs is as on-topic as can be - 99 (67.8%)
It's about time, I've requested this at least 20 pages back - 27 (18.5%)
Who cares, it isn't going to be released anyway - 11 (7.5%)
I don't like drugs and I don't like SMiLE, we might as well delete this discussion - 2 (1.4%)
The SMiLE music and drug use cloud this discussion - 7 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 [243] 244 245 246 247 248 ... 380 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE Sessions box set!  (Read 1745242 times)
ghost
« Reply #6050 on: September 04, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »

Wonderful is about a girl getting pregnant young, and then the young guy she got pregnant by dissapears as is bound to happen, so she only has her parents around.  The "wonderful" is the young life that came out of it, which mirrors her young life.  Recess/Chalk/Numbers is just about her school days, a poetic way to enforce her youth.  First verse she's a baby, she slowly grows up to teenage, has the baby with a 'non believer' which isnt' a religious thing,it's just a way of saying the guy wasn't ready to be a father and dissapeared.

SO, on BWPS you get the full treatment.

after that of course you get "Look", or "Song For Children" which is the baby actually being born.  So when the "BAT BATTA BADDA BADDA BAT!" part comes in with the piano just nailing it, that's the baby's outlook on the world.  He's hellbent on life, excited by everything he sees, amazed at the world, it represents the joy of new life.  The "good vibrations" lick is just a subtle little nod to the Beach Boys; when the baby sleeps at night he has a mobile over his headt hat plays the 'good vibrations' melody, lol.  At least that's how I Hear it.  You hear a beautiful little lick in the background of this song, with Taylor's voice (the only woman in the band) front and center echoing "I Believe....."

So then it slips into that moody part "Wheeerrreee isss the fatttherrrr?" that's the child's thuoghts about his father.  Loss, growing up without a dad, the sadness he'll feel from it, etc.

So they go through that a few more times, then slip into "The Child is the Father of the Man" which of course is the father's perspective on the baby he just created.  He's just panicked about the whole thing, and the song illustrates it musically, it sounds frantic and illogical like he probably felt when he found out she was pregnant.  "the child is the father of the man" of course is self explanatory.  

So then you have Brian's voice over, like God or the young man's father, "Easy my child; it's just enough to believe." (still trying to talk the young man into being a 'believer' instead of a 'non-believer".   "out of the wild, into what you can concieve; you'll achieve!" trying to explain fatherhood to him.  

So onto Surf's Up!  I won't pretend to know what Surf's up is complete about because I imagine it's been ruminated for years, but it certainly speaks of a 'growing up', or at least the maturity that people reach when they start to realize that civilization is often just a show, full of chandeliers, evening gowns, and plays only adults apprecaite and children ignore.  

If your theory were true, how is the use of "wonderful" in the lyrics to be understood when it's only the last verse that could reasonably imply a child as being the "wonderful". In the first verse, the boy bumps into her one one wonderful. Did he bump into the baby that was not yet born? Into the womb? Clunky metaphor for conception, Van Dyke. Sorry, I bumped into you!

ghost
« Reply #6051 on: September 04, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »

and the birth lyrics would seem to fit knowing how Brian wanted a son or sons and not daughters. but was he thinking of having kids in 1966? doubtful. he's too busy building an empire and conserving his semen for musical genius to spill one to create a new organism.

so i would have to side with Tobelman in that the birth childhood etc themes are metaphors for something deeper - what if Smile is just a musical trip - a musical mystery tour - that takes you all the way back to your birth and before it? And to your death, and the universal dissolution of things - the eternal tides, surf's up.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: September 04, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »

The fact that certain tracks are or are not on the list has been a factor in whether or not those tracks have been considered part of the Smile "canon." For example, bits and pieces like "You're Welcome," "He Gives Speeches" and "With Me Tonight" are not on the track list and have been relegated to 2nd-class status as "outtakes."

If I remember correctly, Darian didn't present the list to Brian, but rather all the musical fragments he had available. I even remember reading that when Darian played "He Gives Speeches" Brian said right away "no, not that one", but I can't unfortunately name the source. Maybe someone else can, but I doubt I dreamt it.

Ultimately it was Brian who decided what should be on BWPS and what should be left off, regardless of the list. "Barnyard" is a section too that's not on the list and still it is on the album.

Sir, I'm not one to take offense at criticism of anything I post, and I certainly take no offense in this case.  However, I do consider it bad form to partially excerpt my remarks in a way that removes them from their proper context.  My last two sentences in the post from which you excerpt were: " Sure, a few things like Barnyard, Look and Holidays aren't on the list but do appear on BWPS. But did Brian, VDP and Darian dare leave anything off of BWPS that WAS on the list? "

Thus, you're not exactly poking a hole in my argument by pointing out that Barnyard "is a section too that's not on the list and still it is on the album."   I had acknowledged that very fact myself!  My point was that everything that WAS on the list DID make it into BWPS.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: September 04, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »

Ultimately it was Brian who decided what should be on BWPS and what should be left off, regardless of the list. "Barnyard" is a section too that's not on the list and still it is on the album.

Wall
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: September 04, 2011, 02:32:07 PM »

A lot of people must be opting for the Amazon CA deal since SMiLE's been number 1 for the past few days..

Very smart  Wink

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: September 04, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »

Wall

Wrong emoticon, sir - I think you meant  Dead Horse

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: September 04, 2011, 03:42:19 PM »

Either way.  Personally, I give up and have switched from the horse to the wall.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6057 on: September 04, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »

Speaking as a Canadian, I'm pretty into the Smile box being $123.99 on amazon.ca --- just pre-ordered it! Glad to see its #1 in sales on the site too

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: September 04, 2011, 04:12:05 PM »

Can Americans get it from Canada?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6059 on: September 04, 2011, 04:18:06 PM »

Pretty sure....you'd just have to pay the shipping fee. Which I doubt would be more than the price difference between .com & .ca -- worth a shot at least

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6060 on: September 04, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »

Though I can't imagine the shipping being too fast from Canada...just an opinion.
_____

I ordered mine with regular shipping (from Amazon USA) - my packages usually get to my doorstep a day or two after I order with regular shipping anyways...I figured I could save a few bucks and wait the two days...I'm cheap lol.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
modrevolve
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6061 on: September 04, 2011, 05:40:33 PM »

Thanks to those who reported the cheaper option through amazon.ca. I canceled my amazon.com option and went with this one. I opted for fast shipping which was only a couple dollars more.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6062 on: September 04, 2011, 05:46:06 PM »

I can't wait to see my Smile box set next to my Pet Sounds and Brigitte Bardot box sets.  Afro

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: September 04, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

I ordered mine for delivery on release day. And that's when it better show up.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6064 on: September 04, 2011, 05:56:45 PM »

Same, but I won't be here from the 11th-15, so you won't hear from me :D

i figure 4 days is enough for us all to cool off... haha

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: September 04, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »

police

I LOVE that quote!!

After all the friendly debating about The Elements and LSD, I always look forward to yer posts.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: September 04, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »

The fact that certain tracks are or are not on the list has been a factor in whether or not those tracks have been considered part of the Smile "canon." For example, bits and pieces like "You're Welcome," "He Gives Speeches" and "With Me Tonight" are not on the track list and have been relegated to 2nd-class status as "outtakes."

If I remember correctly, Darian didn't present the list to Brian, but rather all the musical fragments he had available. I even remember reading that when Darian played "He Gives Speeches" Brian said right away "no, not that one", but I can't unfortunately name the source. Maybe someone else can, but I doubt I dreamt it.

Sir, I'm not one to take offense at criticism of anything I post, and I certainly take no offense in this case.  However, I do consider it bad form to partially excerpt my remarks in a way that removes them from their proper context.  My last two sentences in the post from which you excerpt were: " Sure, a few things like Barnyard, Look and Holidays aren't on the list but do appear on BWPS. But did Brian, VDP and Darian dare leave anything off of BWPS that WAS on the list? "

Thus, you're not exactly poking a hole in my argument by pointing out that Barnyard "is a section too that's not on the list and still it is on the album."   I had acknowledged that very fact myself!  My point was that everything that WAS on the list DID make it into BWPS.

Barnyard was on the list under the title H&V.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: September 04, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Same here. Will probably get it ironically, just before my history of rock and roll class so I won't be able to listen until after.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6068 on: September 04, 2011, 07:34:10 PM »

Same here. Will probably get it ironically, just before my history of rock and roll class so I won't be able to listen until after.

Take it in and show the teacher!...if the teacher knows his history you'll probably get a bump in your grade!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: September 04, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »

Take it in and show the teacher!...if the teacher knows his history you'll probably get a bump in your grade!

or he'll steal it, haha

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: September 04, 2011, 07:47:19 PM »

For some reason I'm most excited about hearing Barnyard..

Ever since the RSD release  Afro

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: September 04, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »

I just realized today that this will probably be the most momentous album I will ever listen to.

I've read books on it, argued and preached its glory, hoarded bootlegs and created my own mixes; and now all the SMiLE related tracks are finally seeing the light of day - properly mixed and sequenced by some incredibly talented people. I'm in anticipation for every single track on this set. I want to hear every track at once! - I'll want to skip ahead to hear 'Holidays', but I'll want to hear 'Look' first too....but every song is too incredible to skip over!

I'm really starting to get excited about this release! Can't wait for more interviews with Mr. Linett, the TV interviews with the Beach Boys (they'd have to do this, right?), the other promotion.

Brian, Dennis, & Carl Beer Drinking Buddies Ahhh! Happy Dance Beer Beer Rock!

monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6072 on: September 04, 2011, 08:10:15 PM »

I once took a lame History of Rock & Roll class, which focused, predictably, mostly on the Beatles. In the syllabus of the class, at the bottom, under the heading IF TIME PERMITS AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER was "Surf Music - The Beach Boys." Ungh. I got into arguments with my teacher throughout that semester. What a silly, worthless class. Hey, did you know that The Beatles are the pinnacle of pop music and the Beach Boys were a surf band? Kewl.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: September 04, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

For some reason I'm most excited about hearing Barnyard..

What's the smart money on as far as what sort of Barnyard we'll be hearing on Disc 1? 
Vintage lead vocals?
Brian's 'Humble Harv' vocals flown in?
No lead vocal at all?
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »

I once took a lame History of Rock & Roll class, which focused, predictably, mostly on the Beatles. In the syllabus of the class, at the bottom, under the heading IF TIME PERMITS AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER was "Surf Music - The Beach Boys." Ungh. I got into arguments with my teacher throughout that semester. What a silly, worthless class. Hey, did you know that The Beatles are the pinnacle of pop music and the Beach Boys were a surf band? Kewl.

With all due respect if there was a class being offered on The Beatles when I was in college I would have signed up for it in a heartbeat even if it was a no credit course.  Probably would've been a better way to spend an hour of my day than some of the ridiculous courses I had to take for my degree.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 240 241 242 [243] 244 245 246 247 248 ... 380 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx