gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680949 Posts in 27622 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 05:51:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where is that %^&$@#&* MIC Box Set @#$%^&*(!!!  (Read 211782 times)
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: January 29, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »

Those lyrics are the problem for me: clunky, clunkier and clunkiest. I mean, seriously...

On my porch
Thinkin' 'bout the torch

Yeah, this was the one that I could never quite shake. And, of course, it's the opening line of the song.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 29, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »

i like both its just that the lyrics of the unreleased one are better to me.

Those lyrics are the problem for me: clunky, clunkier and clunkiest. I mean, seriously...

On my porch
Thinkin' 'bout the torch
I've been carryin' for you so long

And our love
Thinkin' 'bout our love
Like the Santa Ana winds blow strong

Ben so long
Since you been gone
Been carin' for you so long

If those don't scream "placeholder" at you, well...

I wonder what this would sound like with Van Dyke style lyrics.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 29, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »

The unreleased version works much better for me. The metaphor is simple and direct, as long as the santa ana winds blow I'll think of you. They're not incredible or anything, but they're unpretentious and feel much more natural I think than stanzas like:

Fire wind
Oh, desert wind
She was born in a desert breeze

I will prevail
I will not fail
To bring life into humanity

The mystical dimension in the released version just doesn't work for me, the lyrics feel overwrought and meaningless.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:43 PM »

I also think "on my porch/thinking about the torch" is a really fun line to sing and rolls off the tongue in a very satisfying way.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 29, 2013, 10:45:20 PM »

Could it be???

Initial post: Jan 6, 2013 12:24:03 PM PST
Philip A.Cohen says:

Mike Love is also responsible for the fact that the proposed 6-CD box set "Made in California" was never released. He is an incurable, greedy, anti-artistry, lawsuit-filing jerk & troublemaker, who has been responsible for many of the bad things that happened in Brian Wilson's life and The Beach Boys' career, most recently the derailing the Beach Boys reunion.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TLRCFLV3ZQ4Z/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009KKLQVS&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: January 29, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »

I basically see it the same as Fishmonk. The unreleased lyrics are clunky but thereleased ones are cheesy yet meaningless.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:03 AM »

Could it be???

Philip A.Cohen says:

Mike Love is also responsible for the fact that the proposed 6-CD box set "Made in California" was never released. He is an incurable, greedy, anti-artistry, lawsuit-filing jerk & troublemaker, who has been responsible for many of the bad things that happened in Brian Wilson's life and The Beach Boys' career, most recently the derailing the Beach Boys reunion.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TLRCFLV3ZQ4Z/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009KKLQVS&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

We'll maybe find out from the horse's mouth – if Billy ever chooses to release Phil!

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #682 on: January 30, 2013, 01:19:49 AM »

You need the Stoneage Music release  Grin

What is that and where can I get it?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:30 AM »

You need the Stoneage Music release  Grin

What is that and where can I get it?

This is what it is…

… but, like the rest of the folks on this board, I don't know where to get it… it's a perplexing mystery.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:32:07 AM by John Manning » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 30, 2013, 02:30:19 AM »

Could it be???

Philip A.Cohen says:

We'll maybe find out from the horse's mouth – if Billy ever chooses to release Phil!

This one made me laugh. Phil is really incurable - to wit: 'was never released'.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:07 AM »

I can totally see that, its a testament to his success he could basically retire at age 25 from the music industry. His mental decline robbed him of that happy life in retirement though. The 15 big ones- love you era has a undertone of "I have given you guys so much success, what else do you want from me?" in my opinion.

15 Big Ones has that. Love You is more of a "you asked for it, here it is!" vibe.

Love You is a synth-driven punk album. The Boys should do another one now: The Beach Boys Hate You.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 30, 2013, 05:00:54 AM »

I can totally see that, its a testament to his success he could basically retire at age 25 from the music industry. His mental decline robbed him of that happy life in retirement though. The 15 big ones- love you era has a undertone of "I have given you guys so much success, what else do you want from me?" in my opinion.

15 Big Ones has that. Love You is more of a "you asked for it, here it is!" vibe.

Love You is a synth-driven punk album. The Boys should do another one now: The Beach Boys Hate You.

…oir The Beach Boys Love Wethers Originals

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: January 30, 2013, 06:08:10 AM »

Could it be???

Philip A.Cohen says:

Actually Phil is being legally withheld from the message board by Mike Love.  Weird story.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: January 30, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

Could it be???

Philip A.Cohen says:

Actually Phil is being legally withheld from the message board by Mike Love.  Weird story.

You mean to say that Mike Love is one of the mods here???  Shocked

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: January 30, 2013, 08:14:20 AM »

I like it. And you?

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:37 AM »

I like it. And you?

Don't try and mislead people.  That's a 12 yr old compilation.

http://www.amazon.com/Made-California-Various/dp/B000056H1Z/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1359562809&sr=1-1&keywords=made+in+california
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 30, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »

That's okay, the Don's a 12-year-old too, some days!   LOL

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 30, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »

Oh, my apologies! I didn't want to mislead anyone, my retailer has this picture to go with the MiC box! And I didn't know this comp.

Thanks for rectifying.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:18 AM »

Sometimes I wish I were 12, rather then my current age.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:38 AM »

I'd rather have a 12-year-old Ardbeg, my friend! "Made On Caolas an Eilein"

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 30, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »

I'd rather have a 12-year-old Ardbeg, my friend! "Made On Caolas an Eilein"

He he -

and I should have noticed the huge difference in typefont between the button and the piccie I posted above. They're so at odds with each other.

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 30, 2013, 08:55:01 AM »

Word is the box is coming, but Mike insisted that Brian write an essay first explaining Mike's importance. Now that Brian's finally done and the lawyers have OK'd the contents, we're good to go for a late spring release!

Hi. My name is Brian Wilson. I sing for the Beach Boys, a California recording group. Now there are a few things I would like to set straight before you enjoy this box. It was my cousin Mike Love, our leader on stage, that came up with the hooks. Yes, I could write the chords and beautiful harmonies for the boys, but I needed Mike to come up with the hooks. Doesn't he have a wonderful baritone?, I thought. So why wouldn't I listen to him? The way he'd cut through the mix was really, really good, really harmonic.

On "Good Vibrations", I just didn't have a darn hook to finish off that record with! We had that spooky, kinda eerie theremin, but no hook! I tried 6 weeks but it was like cracking a lobster with your bare hands. That's when I called over Mike and told him he does great stuff, so why doesn't he give me hand? He said sure and the whole thing was a piece a cake. That's how it should be! He came up with "I'm pickin' up Good Vibrations" just like that, faster than I could snap my fingers. It really knocked me out, totally floored me. He's just so talented, and he and the boys sing like angels.

Brian Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »

I don't believe that was written by Brian, it didn't contain the word "nutbuster"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:56 AM »

… I should have noticed the huge difference in typefont between the button and the piccie I posted above. They're so at odds with each other.

Oh, no… apologies,  not all, I wasn't implying such an error. I don't think we've had it confirmed that Mark London's graphic is associated with the box at all, it's just something he threw up on Facebook a while ago.  I just like adding an illustration occasionally!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »

Word is the box is coming, but Mike insisted that Brian write an essay first explaining Mike's importance. Now that Brian's finally done and the lawyers have OK'd the contents, we're good to go for a late spring release!

Hi. My name is Brian Wilson. I sing for the Beach Boys, a California recording group. Now there are a few things I would like to set straight before you enjoy this box. It was my cousin Mike Love, our leader on stage, that came up with the hooks. Yes, I could write the chords and beautiful harmonies for the boys, but I needed Mike to come up with the hooks. Doesn't he have a wonderful baritone?, I thought. So why wouldn't I listen to him? The way he'd cut through the mix was really, really good, really harmonic.

On "Good Vibrations", I just didn't have a darn hook to finish off that record with! We had that spooky, kinda eerie theremin, but no hook! I tried 6 weeks but it was like cracking a lobster with your bare hands. That's when I called over Mike and told him he does great stuff, so why doesn't he give me hand? He said sure and the whole thing was a piece a cake. That's how it should be! He came up with "I'm pickin' up Good Vibrations" just like that, faster than I could snap my fingers. It really knocked me out, totally floored me. He's just so talented, and he and the boys sing like angels.

Brian Wilson

Sounds like the spoken introduction for the upcoming unreleased classic-to-be Mike's Back.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx