gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 03:17:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW's Christmas 'release'  (Read 4506 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2012, 05:31:55 AM »

This year, he just appears to have an alt. mix of On Christmas Day. Underneath the album artwork....

http://www.brianwilson.com/christmas

Wonder if we'll get something else? I do like the idea of him releasing little xmas tidbits, but he hasn't done it in a while, right? According to his website, nowt in five years  Sad
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 05:33:08 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:43:14 AM »

Wasn't there an incident where Brian released a free Christmas track and someone said it was crap on a messageboard, Brian read it and was really hurt? Was that the last free Christmas tune he released?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »

If the last one was "Chestnuts Roasting" in 2007, I'm going to have to agree, it's pretty bad.  If he had straight out sang it in his sweet mellow voice, it could have sounded great but trying to turn it into a rock song, bad idea.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 06:50:16 AM »

Funny, because I heard that for the first time today and  thought he sung that really well! Sure, he ain't Nat King Cole, but then who is?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:51:32 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:37 AM »

No, I think his voice sounded fine, it's the arrangement that sucked.

Honestly, I think Brian's done all he can when it comes to Christmas standards.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 06:57:07 AM »

If the last one was "Chestnuts Roasting" in 2007, I'm going to have to agree, it's pretty bad.  If he had straight out sang it in his sweet mellow voice, it could have sounded great but trying to turn it into a rock song, bad idea.

Given that his version of "The Christmas Song" (its actual title) is in no way shape or form a rock song, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Anyway, that's not what people criticized him for anyway. IIRC it was the earlier a capella version of "Silent Night."

Finally, he did a Christmas thing just last year, which is shown on the very page everyone is linking to.

Gah.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 07:00:38 AM »

Gah, I saw that video of Silent Night with the kids and somehow didn't process it was recent. More coffee, please  Thud

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »

This year, he just appears to have an alt. mix of On Christmas Day. Underneath the album artwork....

Wonder if we'll get something else? I do like the idea of him releasing little xmas tidbits, but he hasn't done it in a while, right? According to his website, nowt in five years  Sad

I think that alt mix was available when On Christmas Day was originally released on the website, but perhaps hasn't been seen again until now.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 05:56:47 AM »

Thanks for that link! 

That clever cartoon made my day!   LOL

He is the bona fide Little St. Nick of music! 

The Man with All the Toys!  Wink
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:53 AM »

Sort of related..... I just listened to the All I Want for Christmas album and it really suffers from Brian's shouting/singing. He seems to have gotten better at that since that album but he still does the shouting off and on these days. Has anyone ever really figured that out? I think his solo career could have/would be more of a success if the singing was better. And he was/is capable of better. My guess is that it's not easy to get Brian to agree to performing at all, and the takes are not perfected as a result. He makes a cut and pretty much that's it, take it or leave it. Just like the live shows, he's ON or OFF. I get that for a live show but not the studio stuff. The shouting does not even work on the Little St. Nick redo let alone what are normally beautiful classics such as O Holy Night.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 11:55:22 AM »

Wasn't there an incident where Brian released a free Christmas track and someone said it was crap on a messageboard, Brian read it and was really hurt? Was that the last free Christmas tune he released?

Yeah, Blueboarders are a bunch of dicks.

Guy rolls off the couch to record a little ditty just for fun and gives it to them for free and they return the favor by telling him how bad it is, that he shouldn't work with Styx, that a petition is being passed around which will force the rehiring of Bob Liszik.

Yeah....dicks.....I hope one of their "waves of love" washes those assholes out to sea.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »

That's really sad to hear.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »

Sort of related..... I just listened to the All I Want for Christmas album and it really suffers from Brian's shouting/singing. He seems to have gotten better at that since that album but he still does the shouting off and on these days. Has anyone ever really figured that out? I think his solo career could have/would be more of a success if the singing was better.

Whenever there is a new BB/BW release I "torture" a friend of mine with it who is a big music fan. After TLOS he said, "Finally he's singing well!"

Years ago there was an anecdote someone played some shouted BW track in his car, and some passer by asked him, "Is that Ozzie?" Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »

Sort of related..... I just listened to the All I Want for Christmas album and it really suffers from Brian's shouting/singing. He seems to have gotten better at that since that album but he still does the shouting off and on these days. Has anyone ever really figured that out? I think his solo career could have/would be more of a success if the singing was better. And he was/is capable of better.

Earlier this evening I decided to listen to some Christmas CDs I hadn't heard in a while and one of the CDs I pulled out was the "20 Christmas Stars" compilation from 2001, containing BW singing "On Christmas Day".  Bought the CD when it came out 11 years ago, and this Christmas season is probably the first time I've listened to it since then.  The BW song started out well, but as it continued, my reaction was, "This would have sounded so much better if BW didn't shout when singing many of the lines."  So, gotta totally agree with your comments above.  

It's  been awhile since I last listened to "What I Really Want for Christmas," so I just pulled out both the CD and LP to listen to tomorrow.  Don't think I've listened since the album came out, so I was surprised to discover that I purchased it when it was released in October 2005, seven long years ago.  Think I'll check out the LP version with my Pickering 625-DJ cartridge, since the combo of an LP and DJ cart may help to mellow out the shouting, albeit to a minor degree.

And, all that being said, Brian sounds a hell of a lot better when he forgoes the shouting while singing.

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 01:00:22 AM »

Somehow I never even knew "The Christmas Song" by Brian even existed until today...listening now, it sounds fine to me.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:56:52 AM »

I listened again since yesterday (can't believe I called the album "all I want for christmas"......AGD must be sleeping) and the real problem is the "shouting" comes and goes throughout too many of the tracks. It's almost like he's about to lose pitch or key or something so he kind of yells a line or word. The overall LOUD voice he sings could be OK to a point, I also listened to John Denver's Christmas album and he gets really loud at the end of O Holy Night as well, but it does not have the harshness of Brian's version. It's just disappointing because I like the arrangements of the album.

Remember Brian's performance on Leno from the BWRG album. That was the shouting Brian I hear on the Christmas album. He was capable of sounding so much better.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 12:53:35 AM »

The best Christmas song Brian's ever recorded in his solo career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBsL7gcKCU

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 07:56:15 AM »

I really like his God Rest Ye Merry arrangement.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »

The best Christmas song Brian's ever recorded in his solo career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBsL7gcKCU
Second it.

Third it.  I was so glad this ended up on his Christmas album.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »

"Joy To The World" is probably my favorite, too. It would've been perfect if not for the repetitive dit-dit-it's. Joe Thomas has a way of making Brian sound good.

A close second for me is "Christmas Day". Brian does his Spector thing and the song really gets going. That song would work well live.

But, my favorite Brian solo Christmas moment is the tag to "The First Noel". Starting with that high note that Brian hits (it gets to me every time), followed by that cool, little instrumental break, and then followed by that wordless harmony to end the song. I repeat it over and over. It's stunning. Absolutely stunning.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

I make a Christmas mix CD every year for my commute to work and the three BW tracks that consistently make the cut are "What I Really Want..." "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and "O Holy Night."  I love the arrangements on all three.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »

That mix. is. amazing.

After obsessing over that video of him recording it, hearing just the track and vocals finished is efnhiwunjfweifwiefunwiuef (<- amazing)

Jason
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »

Apparently the blootards aren't happy unless the big man is releasing Pet Sounds every time...f*** them.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 06:54:37 PM »

Apparently the blootards aren't happy unless the big man is releasing Pet Sounds every time...f*** them.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I'd love to slap the s*** out of some people.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »

Wait, I thought the criticism against the blueboard was that they liked everything Brian did and were total Brianistas. I agree that it's wrong to say something is crap on his messageboard, but ....
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx