gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680883 Posts in 27618 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 11:35:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One amazing moment in Oslo during the soundcheck  (Read 7155 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 06:33:28 AM »

Why would they do Warmth Of The Sun, I Can Hear Music, and Surf's Up during the soundcheck, but not the actual performance? Why would they need to practice those songs? Hmm.

Sometimes songs might be rehearsed just to see how they could sound and if they would qualify for "official" rehearsal.
Songs might be rehearsed but they don't get to be in the shape needed to be performed in concert.
Or they could just be rehearsed for fun.

While a band or performer can use a soundcheck to rehearse songs, a soundcheck is basically what the title implies.  Getting house levels set and eq'd, getting monitor levels set and eq'd, etc.  In this case, it appears the band just played these tunes for fun.  Beats running through the same old songs that you've already played 50 times on the tour.  

IIRC, they also played a Who song (Won't Get Fooled Again?) during soundcheck, and no-one's seriously suggesting they were going to drop that in the set.

Also interesting that Scott Bennett called it the "My Gods". So now, from official sources, we have "My God", "Bygone", and "Michael". JEEZ.

So who do we believe?! The man with the lyric sheet who recorded the first instance (Desper, in the Michael corner), the men who wrote it (Brian & Van Dyke, in the  By Gone corner) and the man they told to sing it (Scott Bennett, in the 'My God' corner)..... Argzhvfvcbx
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:37:24 AM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »

I've always heard it as "My God", myself. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

Why would they do Warmth Of The Sun, I Can Hear Music, and Surf's Up during the soundcheck, but not the actual performance? Why would they need to practice those songs? Hmm.

Sometimes songs might be rehearsed just to see how they could sound and if they would qualify for "official" rehearsal.
Songs might be rehearsed but they don't get to be in the shape needed to be performed in concert.
Or they could just be rehearsed for fun.

While a band or performer can use a soundcheck to rehearse songs, a soundcheck is basically what the title implies.  Getting house levels set and eq'd, getting monitor levels set and eq'd, etc.  In this case, it appears the band just played these tunes for fun.  Beats running through the same old songs that you've already played 50 times on the tour.  

IIRC, they also played a Who song (Won't Get Fooled Again?) during soundcheck, and no-one's seriously suggesting they were going to drop that in the set.

Also interesting that Scott Bennett called it the "My Gods". So now, from official sources, we have "My God", "Bygone", and "Michael". JEEZ.

So who do we believe?! The man with the lyric sheet who recorded the first instance (Desper, in the Michael corner), the men who wrote it (Brian & Van Dyke, in the  By Gone corner) and the man they told to sing it (Scott Bennett, in the 'My God' corner)..... Argzhvfvcbx

Or we can believe Carl's isolated vocal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5GSsdMPuM

Bygone. :D
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »

that's definitely bygone.

I used to think it was "like a, like a".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 06:02:29 PM »

Lyric sheet says "Michael"

Which is interesting because Michael means "with god" so "My God" also makes sense there.

By gone... what could it mean?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »

Or we can believe Carl's isolated vocal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc5GSsdMPuM

Bygone. :D

Holy hell - how have I never heard this?  That was extremely cool, I had no idea such a mix existed.  Thanks!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 08:52:56 PM »

Lyric sheet says "Michael"

Which is interesting because Michael means "with god" so "My God" also makes sense there.

By gone... what could it mean?

Noun   1.   bygone - past events to be put aside; "let bygones be bygones"
water under the bridge
past, past times, yesteryear - the time that has elapsed; "forget the past"
Adj.   1.   bygone - well in the past; former; "bygone days"; "dreams of foregone times"; "sweet memories of gone summers"; "relics of a departed era"
bypast, departed, foregone, gone
past - earlier than the present time; no longer current; "time past"; "his youth is past"; "this past Thursday"; "the past year"

Sure seems to mesh with the rest of the lyrics.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »

Haha, i used to think it was "By gun, by gun.."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »

And for awhile i thought it was "baigon, baigon" and i figured "baigon" was some asian word

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 01:14:50 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's "Mike Love Mike Love"

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »

It really sounds like Jeff is singing "Bacon, bacon" on the 2004 version. I can't listen to it with a straight face anymore.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 01:19:20 PM »

I'm hungry.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx