gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 10:55:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Release MIC Track Discussion  (Read 115904 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »

"I Believe In Miracles"!!

That's one creepy ass chord change at the end. Makes you wonder if this piece was supposed to continue, or if that's just Brian messing around. So cool to hear this in high quality stereo.

I wonder if the section that follows that in the boot mix still exists in the vaults? That's my favorite part of CWTL. Would love to hear a clean stereo version of that!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2013, 02:39:31 AM »

Who was responsible for the sloppy ass autotune job on Brian's vocal on "You're Still A Mystery"??

Probably the same person who thought it'd be a good idea to drop shouty 2004 Brian into the bridge of Soul Searchin'.

Yikes, yeah I heard that. Why??

Not sure if it's Brian though, is it? Sounded like it might be Paley.
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2013, 02:43:51 AM »

Who was responsible for the sloppy ass autotune job on Brian's vocal on "You're Still A Mystery"??

Probably the same person who thought it'd be a good idea to drop shouty 2004 Brian into the bridge of Soul Searchin'.

Yikes, yeah I heard that. Why??

Not sure if it's Brian though, is it? Sounded like it might be Paley.

The phrasing of "out of my mind" made me think it was Brian from GIOMH. You might be right though; it's certainly not very distinct.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »

Who was responsible for the sloppy ass autotune job on Brian's vocal on "You're Still A Mystery"?? When is Capitol gonna learn ?

Because of the ridiculous autotune, I'll have to refer to the bootlegs if I wanna hear this song. I could've given it an undetectable melodyne treatment for free out of the kindness of my heart in 10-20 minutes and made it sound 100x more listenable. Thanks for nothing guys!

Aw, no no NO! This makes me want to cancel my order. Why can't they leave this stuff as it is?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2013, 02:55:15 AM »

Who was responsible for the sloppy ass autotune job on Brian's vocal on "You're Still A Mystery"?? When is Capitol gonna learn ?

Because of the ridiculous autotune, I'll have to refer to the bootlegs if I wanna hear this song. I could've given it an undetectable melodyne treatment for free out of the kindness of my heart in 10-20 minutes and made it sound 100x more listenable. Thanks for nothing guys!

Aw, no no NO! This makes me want to cancel my order. Why can't they leave this stuff as it is?

No worries bro, it's still got plenty of stuff to make it worth it. But yeah, I agree. For a project of this magnitude.. ahh deja vu.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2013, 02:57:01 AM »

Complete ending meaning not a fade out?

Its a complete ending followed by Bruce, I think, saying "Goodnight". It does sound like a woman though. LOL

I will have to listen to Rarities to compare.
The version on Rarities faded out before the song was over. I think the story was that the tape ran out. So I'm curios if this is the same concert performance, but just from an alternate(complete) source. Or was the tape running out story another one of those myths that everybody believed for all these years? Or is the recording on MIC from a completely different concert than the Rarities one?

Here's some info from Brad Elliott:

[During the vault search] we went up to the second floor [of the Capitol Records building] to this little room where some special project tapes were stashed, and the first thing we pulled out were all the tapes of four British concerts from December 1968 – two at the London Palladium and two a week later at Finsbury Park. It turned out the second Finsbury Park show was put out as the live concert album that everyone always thought was recorded at the Palladium in 1969. But here we are with three other shows, so I start comparing the track lineups and noticed that Aren't You Glad was on the Finsbury tapes, but there was a different song in its place on the Palladium tapes. The song was marked something like I Wanna Make Love To You.

[It turned out to] be All I Want to Do. When we played it, we found the version from the first show was really sad. Vocally, they miss all their cues. After one verse, Mike Love says, “This is a song we really don't know yet, so bear with us.” The second show was better and that's the one we used, but you'll notice that it fades out before the end of the song. The reason for that is because while they were recording it, they actually ran out of (eight-track) tape. We tried to splice in the ending of the other version, but it was just too sloppy.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:27 AM »

I'm not sure what I think about the new remix of "Sail Plane Song". I appreciate the idea of making it sound more psychedelic, but it sounds a bit too much "ProTools 2013" and not enough "LSD 1968", if you know what I mean...
Nicko1234
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2013, 03:01:09 AM »

I can't hear any guitar difference to this version? Anyone pick a moment when Scott plays on the MIC version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezurnMDfIo

Aren't they the same recordings? With the same Scott Totten guitars?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 03:10:06 AM »

Is there also pitch correction on sherry she needs me? Definitely sounds like it to me.

I think you're right. More like pitch fuckery. Cause it definitely didn't correct anything.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »

I unsure as to whether this set better proves that this is the best band in the world or the stupidest! Probably equal measures of both. Smile is often noted as the group’s missed opportunity but boy, have some of these tracks just strengthened the case for many, many, many other moments.

For example, "Where is She?" is heartbreakingly beautiful and really deserved a proper production and release. That said, I can see why Brian didn't do this at the time, it didn't really fit in with what the band were doing or with what Reprise wanted.

I'd have been so stoked if Brian took this track along with things like "Good Time", his arrangement of "Ol' Man River" and other
songs that didn't align with the band's direction and started a solo project around this time.

He was in a pretty good place physically/mentally in 1970, occasionally touring, helping produce the band/his friends. It's not too hard to imagine him giving it a solid crack. With the type of material that we know was floating around it could have been a great Ram-esque release.

I wonder how much traction the "Brian Wilson" name would have had at the time...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2013, 04:09:18 AM »

I can't hear any guitar difference to this version? Anyone pick a moment when Scott plays on the MIC version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ezurnMDfIo

Aren't they the same recordings? With the same Scott Totten guitars?

Ahhh...When I click on 'show more' on the youtube clip I got 'This will be part of the Made In California box set.' So yes. Looks like the one and the same.
Nicko1234
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2013, 04:55:39 AM »

I unsure as to whether this set better proves that this is the best band in the world or the stupidest! Probably equal measures of both. Smile is often noted as the group’s missed opportunity but boy, have some of these tracks just strengthened the case for many, many, many other moments.

For example, "Where is She?" is heartbreakingly beautiful and really deserved a proper production and release. That said, I can see why Brian didn't do this at the time, it didn't really fit in with what the band were doing or with what Reprise wanted.

I'd have been so stoked if Brian took this track along with things like "Good Time", his arrangement of "Ol' Man River" and other
songs that didn't align with the band's direction and started a solo project around this time.

He was in a pretty good place physically/mentally in 1970, occasionally touring, helping produce the band/his friends. It's not too hard to imagine him giving it a solid crack. With the type of material that we know was floating around it could have been a great Ram-esque release.

I wonder how much traction the "Brian Wilson" name would have had at the time...

The Beach Boys name had no traction at all so not so much I would have thought. Especially as while Brian was contributing some excellent stuff at this point, most of it was very uncommercial.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »

The Beach Boys name had no traction at all so not so much I would have thought. Especially as while Brian was contributing some excellent stuff at this point, most of it was very uncommercial.

If the stories of DJs neglecting to preview new material based solely on "The Beach Boys" name are true, in that way, Brian may have one upped the band!

How publicised was Brian's reclusively at this time? I can see why "The Beach Boys release sixteenth studio album" may not have created too much hype, but "Brian Wilson, reclusive genius releases debut album" might have generated some buzz, even if the Beach Boys' stock was low at the time. At the least, I could see it performing as good as/better than Sunflower. It's still pop music, not exactly the gestation of Japanese noise rock. Some quirky records reached the mainstream at the time, a late 1970/early 1971 release along these lines may have seen some success:

Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Good Time
Sherry, She Needs Me
H.E.L.P. is on the Way
Sail Plane Song
Can't Wait too Long

Guess I'm Dumb
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Back Home
Games Two Can Play
Where is She?
Ol' Man River

The fun thing to think about is what otherwise clandestine "Where is She?" numbers could have been included/developed with this type of avenue in his hands...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that a 2004 Brian vocal was inserted into the 1995 version?!?!?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2013, 07:36:14 AM »

If the stories of DJs neglecting to preview new material based solely on "The Beach Boys" name are true, in that way, Brian may have one upped the band!

How publicised was Brian's reclusively at this time? I can see why "The Beach Boys release sixteenth studio album" may not have created too much hype, but "Brian Wilson, reclusive genius releases debut album" might have generated some buzz, even if the Beach Boys' stock was low at the time. At the least, I could see it performing as good as/better than Sunflower. It's still pop music, not exactly the gestation of Japanese noise rock. Some quirky records reached the mainstream at the time, a late 1970/early 1971 release along these lines may have seen some success:

Soulful Old Man Sunshine
Good Time
Sherry, She Needs Me
H.E.L.P. is on the Way
Sail Plane Song
Can't Wait too Long

Guess I'm Dumb
Take a Load Off Your Feet
Back Home
Games Two Can Play
Where is She?
Ol' Man River

The fun thing to think about is what otherwise clandestine "Where is She?" numbers could have been included/developed with this type of avenue in his hands...

I've played around with mixes like this several times. They did after all ditch a bunch of Brian numbers from earlier versions of the Sunflower LP, and though I'm not sure I've seen it explicitly stated, I've gotten the impression that was something Brian was somewhat hurt by. With all the unused material he was cranking out (not to mention This Whole World...etc), had he finished these songs, I think a Brian solo LP in 1970 would have been killer. Consider also what Desper has said about Brian's recording habits during this time, that Brian would record and erase songs and simply never share them with the rest of the band. There was definitely a lot of bitterness there but Brian still had a solid LP in him I feel.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 08:52:16 AM »

Is Carl singing with Dennis on Barnyard Blues?

Carl AND Ricky actually.

Liner notes only say about when and where the recording took place plus who sang lead.

Sorry for asking, but I didn't get around to them today, are the mixing/editing errors in the '67 "Surf's Up" and the Smile Sessions "Cabin Essence" fixed, here?

Probably not, as I don't hear them anyway, lucky me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »

OK, so I'm trying not to listen to any more of this stuff until I get the set on Tuesday, but I do have a question for those who have listened...since "Sherry She Needs Me" has the Beach Boys vocals from '65, does that mean that the "Sandy baby, it's time we said goodbye" part is in there? Because that wouldn't make sense if they did.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »

OK, so I'm trying not to listen to any more of this stuff until I get the set on Tuesday, but I do have a question for those who have listened...since "Sherry She Needs Me" has the Beach Boys vocals from '65, does that mean that the "Sandy baby, it's time we said goodbye" part is in there? Because that wouldn't make sense if they did.

Nah. It starts at the "Said goodbye" harmony build up. That part is actually very well done.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2013, 11:07:19 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:48:01 PM by zatch » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2013, 11:20:51 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:57 PM by zatch » Logged
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »

The acapella Slip on through reveals a lot. Never realized there was that much going on in the verses.

Agreed!

Btw, is everyone still able to access the album? I've been logged out of the Netherlands IP address for almost a day - and I can still listen to the box set (minus "Back Home") on Spotify! I thought the service said it would crap out within an hour.

Not complaining.  Grin
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:03 AM »

Review: Top Ten Moments From Beach Boys' Made In California

http://rarerockinrecords.blogspot.com/2013/08/top-ten-moments-from-beach-boys-made-in.html

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »

Many thanks to seltaeb and boots for the tips on accessing MIC through spotify Netherlands. I couldn't get it to work with my existing spotify account but starting up a new trial account once I had the Dutch VPN thing set up finally worked.

I haven't had a chance to listen to everything yet but just wanted to put my 2c in for the stand out bits I've heard so far.

I had low expectations for WIBNTLA thinking it couldn't possibly live up to the hype but I've been pleasantly surprised. I'd say its a slow burner. What I really love is the way the flute backing combines with the lyrics "high on a hill" - like the greatest bb tunes it transports me instantly. It's a very beautiful track and I can only echo the exasperation of others at why this was left off SU. It's the highlight of the set so far without a doubt and I'll be surprised if anything tops it.

Meant For You - WTF!! Thank God they ditched the crazy lyrics but its fun to hear this version.

Why - this is another highlight for me. Those chords are so Brian it sounds like Brian pastiche! I love this one.

Just going through the live stuff now - this makes for a really strong live best of on its own. If only just this was available on vinyl it would be a sweet, sweet LP. Bit sad there's no Vinyl featured in MIC. The live or rarities discs would have made for great LP releases for the die hards.

Anyway good stuff. Nothing beats hearing 'new' stuff from the bb vaults!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

The early version of Amusements Parks USA is epic.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »

Also, the farting synths on the Love You tracks sound better than ever. Or is it me? Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx