gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680957 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 04:14:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daft Punk hope to collaborate with Brian Wilson  (Read 5251 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2013, 12:18:35 PM »

from Brian's facebook page:
http://news.radio.com/2013/06/17/daft-punk-geeks-out-on-star-wars-paul-mccartney-brian-wilson-j-j-abrams/

The Daft Punk duo were originally part of group named after the Wild Honey album song Darlin'. The third member of that group went on to play in the french band Phoenix.
Basically they're huge fans and while this article does not offer anything specific it is interesting that they would actually seek a collaboration. Little do they know the deal probably would include Joe Thomas  Grin
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »

Daft Punk with farty synths? Yes please.

Seriously, I want this to happen.
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »

Ding Dang Dance Remix
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »

Ding Dang Dance Remix

I'm thinking more along the lines of a side that's nothin but Shortnin Bread
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:48:52 PM »

It would still sound more organic than the last live album we got.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:36:54 PM »

I was saying all along that the C50 live album was a stealth Daft Puink audition! That vocoder sound on Mike and Brian's vocals can't be a coincidence.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:46:11 PM »

This'd be sweet.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:27:16 AM »

I've never heard of Daft Punk.

Am I old?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 12:50:12 AM »

Imagine BW writing a song for them, doing some vocal arrangements and the rest would be up to them. It's never going to happen, though.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:11:45 AM »

I've never heard of Daft Punk.

Am I old?

You've might have seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBhQbmPwH8

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 02:25:50 AM »

If i did it was quickly forgotten.

By the 10 seconds I listened to, these people are near the top of the list of people who should not collaborate with Brian.

(Joe Thomas is in first place)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 02:27:17 AM »

By the 10 seconds I listened to, these people are near the top of the list of people who should not collaborate with Brian.

But they're hip.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 02:51:28 AM »

Well, I'm hip........

REPLACEMENT
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:17:39 AM »

And I'm ship........

DISPLACEMENT
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:33:26 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 04:39:53 AM »

You should listen to the new record, Random Access Memories, a much more organic sound if One More Time isn't yr cup of tea. It's probably my favourite record of the year. Killer disco tunes, and some more ambitious proggier stuff - check out this one, featuring Paul Williams (and honky tonk disco) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultt_7jHyxE

(also, you totally missed the best part of One More Time, the breakdown in the middle!)

If this happens I'll be as happy as a pig in swill. They do genuinely love him, too - a track on their first album called Teachers, they reel off a list of influences, mostly chicago house DJs, Dr Dre, George Clinton, but BW is also in there as like, the fifth mention out of 30 or 40. Also read an interview where they claim Good Vibrations is the one song they wish they'd written. I think this is sincere, and whilst you can debate the level of influence apparent in something like Homework or Human After All, I think their more outre pop moments have a debt - Touch, linked above, Digital Love, Fragments Of Time (off RAM, could totally have been a 70's Beach Boys cut if you squint), a lot of Discovery and RAM in places have a kindred spirit in Brian's approach, not just 'lets sing block harmonies about the beach' sycophancy. 

It's odd how Brian wasn't approached for RAM, which is full of collaborators they love - Nile Rogers, Paul Williams, Pharrell, DJ Falcon, Giorgio Moroder, Todd Edwards, numerous amazing session musos - but 2012 might not have been his most available year and I don't know how easy it is to approach Brian and his management for such things.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 05:33:29 AM »

You should listen to the new record, Random Access Memories, a much more organic sound if One More Time isn't yr cup of tea. It's probably my favourite record of the year. Killer disco tunes, and some more ambitious proggier stuff - check out this one, featuring Paul Williams (and honky tonk disco) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ultt_7jHyxE

(also, you totally missed the best part of One More Time, the breakdown in the middle!)

If this happens I'll be as happy as a pig in swill. They do genuinely love him, too - a track on their first album called Teachers, they reel off a list of influences, mostly chicago house DJs, Dr Dre, George Clinton, but BW is also in there as like, the fifth mention out of 30 or 40. Also read an interview where they claim Good Vibrations is the one song they wish they'd written. I think this is sincere, and whilst you can debate the level of influence apparent in something like Homework or Human After All, I think their more outre pop moments have a debt - Touch, linked above, Digital Love, Fragments Of Time (off RAM, could totally have been a 70's Beach Boys cut if you squint), a lot of Discovery and RAM in places have a kindred spirit in Brian's approach, not just 'lets sing block harmonies about the beach' sycophancy. 

It's odd how Brian wasn't approached for RAM, which is full of collaborators they love - Nile Rogers, Paul Williams, Pharrell, DJ Falcon, Giorgio Moroder, Todd Edwards, numerous amazing session musos - but 2012 might not have been his most available year and I don't know how easy it is to approach Brian and his management for such things.

I imagine getting hold of the big man is a hard thing to do. I recall reading a few years back that Rivers Cuomo of Weezer has been interested in collaborating with him for a while but having difficulty getting through.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »

+1

I'd been playing it in the car so much that my 7 year old, whilst out with his mum, spotted the lp and convinced her to buy it for my Father's Day present!

It is a GREAT sounding album, with musicianship and production to rival Aja, Off The Wall and all those kind of hifi records from the 70s.

I think hip, relevant collaborations would be fantastic for BW but I fear adult contemporary is his bag now.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »

Speaking of Giorgio Moroder, I watched "scarface" yesterday and Moroder's bleak score makes the movie.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »

Moroder is a genius. First "discovered" him when I was about 5-6 years old.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 10:31:27 AM »

Brian really needs to get in the studio with Daft Punk. The results would be incredibly interesting

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:56 AM »

Here's some stuff from their new album, RAM (Random Access Memories):

Get Lucky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0
Give Life Back To Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJOk7z4mws
Doin' It Right (featuring Animals Collective's Noah Lenox): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA5PRj7KPkE
The Game Of Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlruAIr_H28
Giorgio By Morodor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4ZkEqQrn0
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

What I wouldn't give for Brian to do an interview track like Giorgio Moroder did for his track.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »

RAM is an absolutely awful album filled with uninspired, throwaway "library" music... I think it'd be easy to judge what a BW collab would sound like based on the Panda Bear song. Just imagine Shortenin' Bread with vocoders and soulless club-style boom-tsch-clap-boom-tsch-clap drum machines. No thanks.

Brian really needs to get in the studio with Daft Punk. The results would be incredibly interesting
This is a little close to that, even though it's a two-second sample that appears only a few times http://youtu.be/eSdXuct5MDw
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:22:54 PM by kappa » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 04:20:35 PM »

Panda Bear is, lets be real, nowhere near the artist Brian is. Brian's vocal arranging skills far outstrip Noah, as he operates via vocal loops and improvised harmony on top - Brian learnt from intricate jazz harmony and still applies those skills in his modern work.

Doin' it Right is my least favourite song off RAM, btw. Uninspired. Fragments Of Time is where it's at.

Reckon Daft Punk could have made From There To Back Again much more out there and innovative than JT ever did - I mean, listen to Touch off RAM.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 06:04:14 PM »

I have and it sounds really tryhard. Panda Bear is not that compositionally inclined, but he's still several levels above a group that released what is essentially a compilation album filled with dozens of songs that they passed off as their own.

Anybody could do better than Joe Thomas.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx