gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680898 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 06, 2024, 02:16:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jeff Beck interview. Discuss.  (Read 48685 times)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2014, 01:50:24 PM »

So whose idea was it to bring in Beck in the first place? 

I'm thinking that since Brian has been claiming for years that he want to put out a rock and roll album, the thought may have been, "Hey, let's bring in legendary guitarist Jeff Beck!  That'll get the ball rolling!" 

And when very little happened as far as Brain and Beck collaborating in the studio, the thought may have been, "OK, let's cut our losses as far as the studio is concerned and put Brian and Beck out on tour, allowing Beck to get at least some financial gain for his time."  Or maybe the thinking was, "OK let's put Brian and Beck out on tour and maybe that environment will get the collaboration going."

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:02 PM »

Let it be known that Jeff Beck wasn’t exactly personality plus behind the scenes of that tour, either. I gotta say, I thought his solo set during those shows was ridiculous. A boring chunk of garbage in the middle of heaven. Truly, I don’t understand how anybody walked away from those concerts NOT saying: “That was literally 50 minutes of the worst, out-dated, instantly forgettable, '80s incidental chase scene music." To be placed in the MIDDLE -- not an opening act -- but the CENTER of that show (as if he's a PEER, e.g. Paul Simon) was, like, death. The original intent was to have him, Brian, and the whole ensemble team up for some Yardbirds hits -- which quickly went out of the window.

Taking into account the fact that he’s gotten a ton of press from being linked to Brian Wilson — which led to his “co-headling” tour with ZZ Top (which will no doubt leave THEIR fans scratching their heads, and drinking in the lobby, like I was after the first time sitting through Beck's set); talking like this about Brian -- for the second time, mind you -- is an unprofessional, pig move. I’d wipe his stuff off the LP, if it’s even still on.

Such a "lifelong fan" of Brian's (as he's professed) and he doesn't know Brian's deal?

Bad form. Lousy music. Absurd Klute hair. Dresses like Star Wars (at 70).
Glad he's not comin' back.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

Let it be known that Jeff Beck wasn’t exactly personality plus behind the scenes of that tour, either. I gotta say, I thought his solo set during those shows was ridiculous. A boring chunk of garbage in the middle of heaven. Truly, I don’t understand how anybody walked away from those concerts NOT saying: “That was literally 50 minutes of the worst, out-dated, instantly forgettable, '80s incidental chase scene music." To be placed in the MIDDLE -- not an opening act -- but the CENTER of that show (as if he's a PEER, e.g. Paul Simon) was, like, death. The original intent was to have him, Brian, and the whole ensemble team up for some Yardbirds hits -- which quickly went out of the window.

Taking into account the fact that he’s gotten a ton of press from being linked to Brian Wilson — which led to his “co-headling” tour with ZZ Top (which will no doubt leave THEIR fans scratching their heads, and drinking in the lobby, like I was after the first time sitting through Beck's set); talking like this about Brian -- for the second time, mind you -- is an unprofessional, pig move. I’d wipe his stuff off the LP, if it’s even still on.

Such a "lifelong fan" of Brian's (as he's professed) and he doesn't know Brian's deal?

Wow! Not a lot more to say really is there?
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 07:24:44 PM »

If Jeff Beck feels this way then let him speak. What he is saying is pretty trivial really.

I don`t think he got any more press from the tour than Brian did and it seemed from many reviews that a lot of the crowd were there to see him and not Brian.
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »

I'd say this pretty much sums it up. Not sure what angle Jeff Beck is trying to play here.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »

I couldn't agree more, Howie. I was bored to tears during Jeff's set, it was literally one boring instrumental after the other for almost an hour.
It would have been so much more enjoyable if that Yardbirds plan had gone through.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »

Yeah, Nicko, those reporters weren't lying. People were going ape s hit over Beck's set.

At the first show I attended, I brought a BB and Beck connoisseur. 10 minutes into his set, I turned to him and said, "Is this awful, or is it just me?"
He only said two things: "This is horrible music. It makes Jan Hammer seem like Debussy" and a bit later, "Why does he keep throwing his arms up in victory like a gladiator?"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »

I couldn't agree more, Howie. I was bored to tears during Jeff's set, it was literally one boring instrumental after the other for almost an hour.
It would have been so much more enjoyable if that Yardbirds plan had gone through.

I was honestly blown away by Jeff Beck's set at The Greek. I was seriously really into it. But it might have been the (strong) pot brownie talking.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »

Having a bad day Howie? Jeez...

I agree completely Nicko.

Jeff Beck is sitting down for interviews and being asked about this tour with Brian Wilson and he's giving honest answers. Where's the problem?

I was at the Hollywood, FL show and I can tell you by passing conversations and what t shirts people were wearing, there were more Jeff Beck fans there then Brian Wilson fans. I had never heard Jeff Beck prior to the show and I left interested enough to dive deeper into his music. I'd consider myself a fan now. Some of his music can be a bit cheesy but you could say that about The Beach Boys as well.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Who the hell cares who was there for who and if you we're at the gig you couldn't know for a fact.

But when Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Wilson and his group exited so the stage could be re-set for Beck and his band, there was a literal shift in the audience. Some concertgoers left the theatre while others, many of whom were absent during Wilson’s hour-and-change set, entered.

Jeff couldn't sell out the beacon by himself let alone play the venues he played with Brian by himself. Brian isn't the biggest draw in the world but he played those venues before and could easily put a decent amount of people in those seats solo. He was nice enough to bring Jeff along (or at least just give it the ok) and what does he get in return? Jeff going to the press bad mouthing him, airing sh*t in public that doesn't need to be aired.

It's complete bullshit and Jeff is living up to the comments Jimmy Page and a few others have made about him in the past.

Not surprised to see the names on here supporting Jeff's comments.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:24:55 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

I saw the Beacon show and do have to admit that Jeff Beck got the most sustained, robust applause of the two acts.

That said, my feelings about Jeff Beck's set were pretty close to Howie's -- and if not for the promise of the Brian-et-al collaborations at the very end on Our Prayer, Surf's Up and Danny Boy (which I actually thought were quite lovely, and went a long way toward justifying teaming two such different acts on the same bill), my wife and I would certainly have left halfway through.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:17:55 PM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »

I'm a much bigger fan of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys than Jeff Beck. My problem is that I don't see why there is such a huge backlash about Jeff's feelings on the situation. Many of the board members here have posted much more hateful things towards other Beach Boys and each other on here. Then there is the thread about ESQ with people stating that they want interviews that warrant more than the typical "read off a cue card" sort of answer. Clearly some of the people can't handle interviewees giving honest answers with a little punch unless it agrees with their own stance.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »

The simple fact is it doesn't need to be said. Jeff doesn't need to be saying anything about Brian's mental situation, especially if he has any idea about Brian's troubled history. A simple "we toured together, he wasn't the most talkative guy" would have done just fine.

In my opinion what he said is basically slander.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »

Doesn't matter to me who came to hear Brain vs who came to hear Beck. The problem is the man's total lack of tact and diplomacy in the interviews. Surely he's knows Brian's history. He doesn't have to bring it up in every interview.

Sure, interviewers are going to ask questions, but a classy reply would be something along the lines of, "Brian and I play completely different styles of music. We did something unique and experimental with that tour. Maybe it was a success maybe not. We didn't socialize much, but I understand that Brian's a private person. I appreciated the chance to play on his album and I hope some of the work we did together makes the final cut."

Instead, he seems bent on making sure everyone knows that Brian's "not right," implies that he's incapable of making an album and basically should be shut up in his room at home.   It's just classless and uncouth.

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

I agree that the "There’s something not quite right." remark at the end was not needed. I agree. Other than that remark, I don't see anything wrong with that little write up Andrew posted a link to. Jeff just mentioned a few specific things that made the pairing odd. I think if he had just answered every question with, "it just didn't work out as well as hoped", fans would be wanting to know why and would be asking for examples of why he felt this way. I know I would. Again, I agree he could be honest and leave out some remarks he makes. The same could be said for a lot of people though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 08:48:00 PM by lee » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »

Lee --

I'm glad you found Jeff Beck.
(I'm actually having a really nice day. Writers are able to comment objectively without it being a reflection on themselves. Bad reviews aren't always written by unhappy people. AGD said: "Discuss" -- so, I did.)

I think that music was horrible and inappropriate for inclusion in any part -- especially the centerpiece -- of a Brian Wilson show featuring Alan Jardine, David Marks, and Blondie Chaplin. I couldn't help counting what they WEREN'T performing to allow space for all those 3:00 a.m. empty highway speedin' instrumental Jeff Beck "hits."

My point is that Jeff Beck benefited from using Brian. Got solid heavy press because of Brian (in comparison to his Ronnie Scott's and Iridium projects) and he went on to shi t on him personally and professionally twice. Not booking another leg or a second tour with Brian says plenty.

It's one thing to have a beef with "Brian" (his issues, or his management, or what you got paid, or how it was billed -- or ANY of those things) but don't do press before and during selling what he's since "revealed" is bull sh it -- which is exactly he did. When it came time to sell tickets, whaddya know -- "BRIAN'S BACK!" Their photo-ops came after his realization that Brian wasn't "all there" or "in need of help" -- or perhaps didn't actually compose the music he contributed to in the studio.

There are more respectful and professional ways to answer the question of "How was it working with Brian Wilson?" than he chose to do. It's a d ick move.
And as new Jeff Beck fan, you'll soon find out that he has a long reputation for doing stuff like this that alienates musicians from wanting to work with him and friends who want to keep him on their speed dial.
Nicko1234
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »

Lee --

I'm glad you found Jeff Beck.
(I'm actually having a really nice day. Writers are able to comment objectively without it being a reflection on themselves. Bad reviews aren't always written by unhappy people. AGD said: "Discuss" -- so, I did.)

I think that music was horrible and inappropriate for inclusion in any part -- especially the centerpiece -- of a Brian Wilson show featuring Alan Jardine, David Marks, and Blondie Chaplin. I couldn't help counting what they WEREN'T performing to allow space for all those 3:00 a.m. empty highway speedin' instrumental Jeff Beck "hits."

My point is that Jeff Beck benefited from using Brian. Got solid heavy press because of Brian (in comparison to his Ronnie Scott's and Iridium projects) and he went on to shi t on him personally and professionally twice. Not booking another leg or a second tour with Brian says plenty.

It's one thing to have a beef with "Brian" (his issues, or his management, or what you got paid, or how it was billed -- or ANY of those things) but don't do press before and during selling what he's since "revealed" is bull sh it -- which is exactly he did. When it came time to sell tickets, whaddya know -- "BRIAN'S BACK!" Their photo-ops came after his realization that Brian wasn't "all there" or "in need of help" -- or perhaps didn't actually compose the music he contributed to in the studio.

There are more respectful and professional ways to answer the question of "How was it working with Brian Wilson?" than he chose to do. It's a d ick move.
And as new Jeff Beck fan, you'll soon find out that he has a long reputation for doing stuff like this that alienates musicians from wanting to work with him and friends who want to keep him on their speed dial.

This has to be one of the most one-eyed stances I have yet seen on the board.

`Jeff Beck benefited from using Brian`???

`...a Brian Wilson show...`???

Jeff Beck`s career wasn`t exactly dead in the water before last year`s tour...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

Jeff Beck was never a candidate for the Diplomatic Corps.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 11:35:24 PM »

Couple things.

1. I don't think Beck means any malice with any of these comments.  Essentially he's just laughing about how weird the situation is, nothing wrong with that.  He doesn't seem offended, he's just saying "That's the craziest thing!" basically.

2. He's probably just as weird as Brian is.

3. I know several people that are just as weird, or MORE weird than Brian Wilson.  I know this 1 guy, that collects VHS tapes.  He has 100,000 of them.  I know another guy who does maintenance at the church across the street, he has 7 trucks and drives a different one each day of the week, the same day, each week.  I used to know a woman who dressed up like a nun every once in awhile, for no particular reason.  I know another guy who's a Vegan.  

Point being, Brian's not hurting anybody so good for him for being weird.  If Jeff Beck can wear that ridiculous haircut Brian can do what he wants just the same.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »

What Beck is heavily hinting at goes way beyond merely weird and lovably eccentric: he's stated in print that Brian needs help, and that's pretty disrespectful to both Brian and those around him.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »

No he didn't.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/jeff-beck-on-going-note-for-note-with-zz-top-and-a-naughty-brian-wilson-track-20140815?page=3

Brian Wilson's album coming will feature a version of "Danny Boy" on it that you recorded with him. What was it like recording that song with him?
Well, that's a bit naughty. I had just noodled "Danny Boy" at the end of a session, tuning. It was one of the few times when Brian actually looked at me, during the four-day session [laughs]. He said, "That's the most beautiful song ever." And he spoke to me quite normally. He said that was the first song his mother played him. He never forgot it. And they left that version, which is a bit ragged. I didn't pay much attention to perfection in it.

So it's not one of the songs you were working on with him?
No. But there's a Beach Boys–type harmony intro, which I believe was lifted from the original Beach Boys. Or maybe not. Maybe they re-recorded it, but it sounds familiar to me. The whole album is a bit of a mishmash. It was just weird the way they truncated the sessions in order to get me on the road with him. After I'd done the four days, instead of mixing and completing the album, they booked the tour. So there wasn't any real fresh product to put into the show. The whole thing was a bit of a disaster really.

So he didn't talk to you much in the sessions?
Brian never said a word. It was the most bizarre thing. I don't know what's going on with Brian, but perhaps it's best left alone. Not mention too much about that. Perhaps he's so cool, he never speaks to anybody [laughs].

But I did go up to check out this deli in Benedict Canyon or Coldwater Canyon that he frequents. He goes to it regularly three times a day. And I heard about this, and when we were rehearsing recently, I went up there and sure enough within five minutes he walked in. And on the way out, I said, "Hello, Brian," he said, "Hi!" And he walked straight past me [laughs]. It was like I never existed. We had never toured for five weeks. There's something not quite right.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 01:12:25 AM »

In earlier interviews on the subject, Beck was quoted as saying "He doesn’t speak. He’s clearly in need of attention. But that’s just my opinion.”

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:02 AM »

He does say "but perhaps it's best left alone" which is probably him displaying slight regret over that comment.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 01:51:58 AM »

As AGD said, Jeff Beck has never been the most diplomatic sort of person. Perhaps, and this is possible, Jeff beck doesn't know as much about Brian Wilson's personal history as we do. Perhaps he's read the rumours in somewhere like MOJO of Brian being a quirky recluse or an eccentric genius, but knows no more than the quick soundbite. Perhaps Jeff Beck doesn't know much about dealing sensitively with people with mental health issues.

A Jeff Beck/Brian Wilson joint tour was never really going to appeal to the same audience, especially if there wasn't much onstage interaction.

A few sessions in the studio was worth trying but it didn't gel. Nothing wrong with that in itself.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 03:52:32 AM »

In earlier interviews on the subject, Beck was quoted as saying "He doesn’t speak. He’s clearly in need of attention. But that’s just my opinion.”

A picture of Brian not speaking with Beck at a session.

A picture of Brian disengaged and appearing asleep during a session.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 03:53:47 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx