gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681062 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 03:22:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jeff Beck interview. Discuss.  (Read 48864 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »

The butler did it...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:46 AM »

I'm not a conspiracy minded guy either but now I'm wondering if Wirestone isn't being compensated to boost Brian or deboost Mike. (taps finger tips together)
I don't think so, but I do think we are all taking this way too seriously. Makes me a wee bit worried. Wink

Now I'm wondering if you aren't being compensated to pretend to be reasonable to throw us off the scent of Wirestone and your fellow conspirators. (strokes white cat)
It truly amazes me the sh*t we make up in here, and that some people believe it.  Shocked
(Whispering behind my hand) That's just the sort of thing a conspirator would say if they were being compensated.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:51 AM »

I am starting to think Cam Mott is an evil supervillain posting from his lair. Wink

Though Wirestone is the man and a treasure of the board.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:29:53 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:16 AM »

I am starting to think Cam Mott is an evil supervillain posting from his lair. Wink

A Super-Villain with his little finger in the corner of his mouth. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 20, 2014, 11:49:04 AM »

A Super-Villain with his little finger in the corner of his mouth. Wink

You're obviously both in Wirestone's "employer's" pocket.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 20, 2014, 04:15:02 PM »

While I think his idea of payola being involved is silly, I do think that perhaps some of the posters here have been tainted by association. They manage to score a big interview or e-mail or something and become fiercely loyal to the viewpoints of their sources.

Nah, I think it's more of a case of people just not being able to handle that others disagree with them about a given topic, whether it's Brian's new album or Brian's upcoming biopic. Maybe there are more arguments/discussions than usual because this is going to be a big couple of months for Brian Wilson. I mean, there's no new Mike album. There's no Bruce Johnston biopic on the horizon. All the hubbub on this board is centered around Brian because he's actually PRODUCING stuff. It's only logical that his projects would receive the most attention and scrutiny. Some people have lost sight of that. I'm sure if Mike announced he was writing his autobiography and it would be out in June there would be page after page of discussions and arguments...followed by bogus accusations that Brian's people were paying members to trash the book before it came out, because some people didn't like the mudslinging and finger-wagging at Mike in the threads. It's all so ridiculous.

BTW: I actually would like to see a Bruce Johnston biopic.  Grin
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

'I Clap The Songs' Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 04:27:52 PM »

'I Clap The Songs' Grin

Nice.  LOL
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2014, 04:59:13 PM »

Another charge that concerns me: If you're going to reference me arguing for the sake of the arguing in the BW film thread, please give me at least a chance to see the basis of this statement and point out where I argued for the sake of arguing. Because I don't do that, I try deliberately not to do that. And if I did it without realizing it, let me see where and when I did it so I can see what I did and if necessary correct or defend it. That's not much to ask. Just let me see the basis of that statement.

I can and will say once and for all that saying the movie will be terrible based on still frames and not a second of actual film from the movie is foolish, silly, and not what I'd expect from fans. At least wait to see it before deciding it's a turkey and telling others it will suck. Then, all is fair game once it is actually available to see. I can say I'm excited for it, I can say I'm not excited for it, what seems a stretch is for me to say it either sucks or is a masterpiece before seeing any of it. Again, that's me. I will say I'm glad it's being released, and I'm interested and excited to watch it.

I seriously am glad there is some common ground here, but I also felt it necessary to explain myself a bit more and also request more information where necessary so I can see what I've been tagged with doing.  Smiley
[/quote]

Here's the page in question. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16097.375.html

Look at the responses from Bubbly Waves and AGD.  You seemed to want to argue black was white on the issue of the Surfin' Safari photo shoot.  Asking how people knew for certain that was what the pictures represented, when it seemed to most people the intention was to recreate the Paradise Cove shoot.  It's a bit like someone looking at storm clouds in the sky and surmising there's going to be a storm, only for you to ask how they know for sure.  You also kept trying to insist that people thought the movie was going to be rubbish based on photos which may be inaccurate.  Nobody said that at all, merely they had concerns, which they are allowed to share in a thread about the photos from the film set. 

And on the issue of the Beck collaboration you seem to be saying that because Brian gave the reason behind it then it must be true.  Do you know what Brian's favourite Beach Boys album is? I don't because he changes his mind according to the mood he's in.  Brian says a lot of things that aren't 100% accurate from time to time, we all do.  It's as if you have blinkers on.  Brian has done things in the past because others have felt it was best, like finish SMiLE in 2004.  So it would not be beyond the realms of possibility someone suggested he work with Jeff Beck.  I'm not saying that is how it happened.  Maybe Brian did initiate it and I'm willing to believe he did if he says that's how it went down. 

Hopefully, I've explained my position.  Feel free to respond, but I'll probably leave it at that as I don't want to bore any fellow board members with our batting this back and forth.  I think we both love Brian, and are looking forward to the new releases. Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »

At this point I've had my fill of various attempts to rewrite or reshape history to possibly suit an agenda. There is an agenda at work, what exactly it is...who knows. I'm curious to see what the end game may be if there is one, or if it's just a small group of fans who seem to have something negative to say against BW in general spouting off whenever news breaks. But I've had my fill of various attempts to paint certain events or even truths as something other than what they are, and maybe if someone here could shed some light on the reasons why almost every announcement or news blurb or report or leaked photo or video of recent BW projects has come under such scrutiny as to be ridiculous.
I have speculated in the past that BRI might either be compensating some posters or doing posting on its own to boost Mike's legitimacy as a touring act. Pure speculation, of course, but it definitely would have harmed Mike if his post C50-touring activities had actually caused confusion among fans, and there was ample evidence that it did. At about the same time that such reports started appearing on this board, there was a notable uptick in pro-Mike, "it was always planned this way," "Only idiots would expect the full band to continue" kinds of posts.

It makes you wonder, right? Because if Al or Brian's managers / wives had dropped by and seen evidence of confusion, they might have some ground to contest that exclusive touring license. But as it was, those early posts about post-C50 M&B shows were buried under an avalanche of similarly-worded pushback. And then, a bunch of posts made sure to note how happy everyone way to be paid their shares of Mike's revenue.

I'm not a conspiracy minded guy, really, and I think this line of thinking can rapidly turn really weird. But it is curious. And we know that the history of this group has many strange diversions.
Seriously? That "speculation" as to whether Mike has paid posters is patently absurd.  I guess I'll look in my mailbox for the check. FYI - just back from four days of sold out shows.  Arguing with success?

When Mike decided to rebuild a Touring Band, after Carl died, I'm the first to admit ( as a "doubting Thomas" type ) I had to take a real wait-and-see approach. And, contemporaneously, I saw Brian, and was delighted to do so, especially after the loss of a second sibling (I've been there;  a pretty ugly place) and watching Brian "bloom" in front of the audience, with Melinda off to the side of the stage.

Mike, was, I think sort of wisely conservative (not in the political sense)in his approach.  Now, the Touring Band has a global track record in various venues, and a carefully-crafted setlist with core people who are perfectionists.  In terms of fans, I'd be on the fussiest list, looking for a balance of what I go to hear.  And from small kids to some lady who just turned 100 or 101...

Four sold-out shows. And, I just checked the mailbox.  No "negotiable instrument" yet.

I just called, and they said to tell you "the check is in the mail"

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2014, 07:53:20 PM »

Brian: "And I'd appreciate it if you stopped going to my deli"

Beck mentioned that Brian went there frequently on purpose.

Some of you will figure out where it is and hang around hoping to run into Brian.

Maybe he will tell you, hi.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2014, 09:31:10 PM »

Here's the page in question. 

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16097.375.html

Look at the responses from Bubbly Waves and AGD.  You seemed to want to argue black was white on the issue of the Surfin' Safari photo shoot.  Asking how people knew for certain that was what the pictures represented, when it seemed to most people the intention was to recreate the Paradise Cove shoot.  It's a bit like someone looking at storm clouds in the sky and surmising there's going to be a storm, only for you to ask how they know for sure.  You also kept trying to insist that people thought the movie was going to be rubbish based on photos which may be inaccurate.  Nobody said that at all, merely they had concerns, which they are allowed to share in a thread about the photos from the film set. 

And on the issue of the Beck collaboration you seem to be saying that because Brian gave the reason behind it then it must be true.  Do you know what Brian's favourite Beach Boys album is? I don't because he changes his mind according to the mood he's in.  Brian says a lot of things that aren't 100% accurate from time to time, we all do.  It's as if you have blinkers on.  Brian has done things in the past because others have felt it was best, like finish SMiLE in 2004.  So it would not be beyond the realms of possibility someone suggested he work with Jeff Beck.  I'm not saying that is how it happened.  Maybe Brian did initiate it and I'm willing to believe he did if he says that's how it went down. 

Hopefully, I've explained my position.  Feel free to respond, but I'll probably leave it at that as I don't want to bore any fellow board members with our batting this back and forth.  I think we both love Brian, and are looking forward to the new releases. Smiley

The last paragraph I agree with 100%. Unfortunately I will not let the suggestion that I'm somehow wearing blinkers on any issue go by without a reply.

We see what we want to see, believe what we want to believe. Sometimes in spite of what may actually be the truth. If the man himself says multiple times that the Beck-Wilson collaboration started a certain way, I'm willing to take the man at his word. I have heard nothing to suggest otherwise. So he was nudged into finishing Smile...seriously, who cares anymore at this point since it got finished, right? It won worldwide praise, awards, sold out concerts, inspired a lot of people, etc etc etc. If Brian says the guy who makes his sandwiches at the deli convinced him to finish it, I'll take his word.  Grin What motivation would there be to suggest what Brian himself said about it just isn't the whole story with the Beck projects? Then I catch some heat for not being open to other possibilities...Seriously?  Smiley

You're just not seeing it as a bigger picture. I'm sorry to say that, but that one page of the film thread left out the previous pages where that car image was among suggestions it would be cheap, it would be another Summer Dreams, it would be anything less than a decent film based on a freakin' car of all things. Just like Zooey Deschanel and the Autotune heard in a ten-second cel phone video. Just like suggesting Brian really isn't that into Bach but said so for the cameras. Just like suggesting Brian is being prevented by a team of handlers from working with...you get the point. It's all being drawn from the same well, whatever that might be.

And it may or may not be the Surfin Safari car! Until we see the car in the film if it even makes the final cut, how do we know it wasn't a scene where the characters drive up to the beach to shoot that cover photo in that later-model black car and the infamous Surfin Safari Model A is sitting 50 feet away? Again, who can say they know what that scene is?

Does that equate it with "Summer Dreams" for quality based on a car on a beach? Does Jeff Beck suggesting Brian snubbed him mean that's actually the full story of what happened? Does what someone says they hear on a cel phone clip suggest the new album as a whole will be an Autotuned disappointment?

So...we stretch this whole thing into suggesting Brian's word on the collaboration isn't the only explanation, and it isn't the final say because he's vacillated and changed stories in the past...but Jeff Beck's word is the final say for some on his interactions with Brian on the tour, in the studio, on his state of mind, and afterward what happened in a deli?

Makes sense. As much sense as 2+2=3

We'll see. I have to get back to arguing for the sake of arguing, anyone have a discussion that needs disrupting?  Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2014, 09:50:44 PM »

While I think his idea of payola being involved is silly, I do think that perhaps some of the posters here have been tainted by association. They manage to score a big interview or e-mail or something and become fiercely loyal to the viewpoints of their sources.

Nah, I think it's more of a case of people just not being able to handle that others disagree with them about a given topic, whether it's Brian's new album or Brian's upcoming biopic. Maybe there are more arguments/discussions than usual because this is going to be a big couple of months for Brian Wilson. I mean, there's no new Mike album. There's no Bruce Johnston biopic on the horizon. All the hubbub on this board is centered around Brian because he's actually PRODUCING stuff. It's only logical that his projects would receive the most attention and scrutiny. Some people have lost sight of that. I'm sure if Mike announced he was writing his autobiography and it would be out in June there would be page after page of discussions and arguments...followed by bogus accusations that Brian's people were paying members to trash the book before it came out, because some people didn't like the mudslinging and finger-wagging at Mike in the threads. It's all so ridiculous.

BTW: I actually would like to see a Bruce Johnston biopic.  Grin

Projects under scrutiny and criticism...Which of these projects so far have been released? I'm aware of no releases so far...album, film, book, tour...nothing yet unless I missed them.

What of substance is there to disagree about on those projects? At this point, anyone can say they're either excited or not excited for any of them based solely on opinion and expectation. What is ridiculous is using some of the parameters which have been used to declare the film "cheap", to declare the album any number of negatives, etc. On-set photos, cel phone videos, that's about it. No actual audio, no actual video or film, no actual pages from a book.

Do you agree that the album, film, and book should at least be released and available before scrutinizing them? What's all been so ridiculous is not even hearing or seeing or reading a project since they've not been released, but seeing fans taking to a Beach Boys message board to criticize and scrutinize it.

Ridiculous indeed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:17 PM »

Projects under scrutiny and criticism...Which of these projects so far have been released? I'm aware of no releases so far...album, film, book, tour...nothing yet unless I missed them.

What of substance is there to disagree about on those projects? At this point, anyone can say they're either excited or not excited for any of them based solely on opinion and expectation. What is ridiculous is using some of the parameters which have been used to declare the film "cheap", to declare the album any number of negatives, etc. On-set photos, cel phone videos, that's about it. No actual audio, no actual video or film, no actual pages from a book.

Do you agree that the album, film, and book should at least be released and available before scrutinizing them? What's all been so ridiculous is not even hearing or seeing or reading a project since they've not been released, but seeing fans taking to a Beach Boys message board to criticize and scrutinize it.

Ridiculous indeed.

Happens with every band though.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2014, 10:04:42 PM »

BTW: I actually would like to see a Bruce Johnston biopic.  Grin

Ridiculous indeed.

For the same reason people discuss/argue/criticize Ben Affleck as Batman, the changing of the origin story of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the latest movie or TV show before any of these projects came out and anyone has even seen it. I never said it was right. I said that was WHY it was happening (because someone..maybe not you...actually wondered..or more accurately suggested a secret cabal. Ever hear of human nature?). It's the nature of the internet, whether it be this board, Facebook or whatever and to expect otherwise is noble but not realistic. Come on. I can't believe you're even asking the question.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:08:27 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »

And for the record I was one of the guys saying "wait and see" in the Brian Wilson album thread (I haven't paid much attention to the film thread). My comments here were a response to the hysteria in this thread. Basically saying "this is happening because of human nature not because those members critiquing things are part of S.P.E.C.T.R.E.....Mr. Bond".     Afro
Nicko1234
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2014, 10:19:56 PM »

The last paragraph I agree with 100%. Unfortunately I will not let the suggestion that I'm somehow wearing blinkers on any issue go by without a reply.

We see what we want to see, believe what we want to believe. Sometimes in spite of what may actually be the truth. If the man himself says multiple times that the Beck-Wilson collaboration started a certain way, I'm willing to take the man at his word. I have heard nothing to suggest otherwise. So he was nudged into finishing Smile...seriously, who cares anymore at this point since it got finished, right? It won worldwide praise, awards, sold out concerts, inspired a lot of people, etc etc etc. If Brian says the guy who makes his sandwiches at the deli convinced him to finish it, I'll take his word.  Grin What motivation would there be to suggest what Brian himself said about it just isn't the whole story with the Beck projects? Then I catch some heat for not being open to other possibilities...Seriously?  Smiley

You're just not seeing it as a bigger picture. I'm sorry to say that, but that one page of the film thread left out the previous pages where that car image was among suggestions it would be cheap, it would be another Summer Dreams, it would be anything less than a decent film based on a freakin' car of all things. Just like Zooey Deschanel and the Autotune heard in a ten-second cel phone video. Just like suggesting Brian really isn't that into Bach but said so for the cameras. Just like suggesting Brian is being prevented by a team of handlers from working with...you get the point. It's all being drawn from the same well, whatever that might be.

And it may or may not be the Surfin Safari car! Until we see the car in the film if it even makes the final cut, how do we know it wasn't a scene where the characters drive up to the beach to shoot that cover photo in that later-model black car and the infamous Surfin Safari Model A is sitting 50 feet away? Again, who can say they know what that scene is?

Does that equate it with "Summer Dreams" for quality based on a car on a beach? Does Jeff Beck suggesting Brian snubbed him mean that's actually the full story of what happened? Does what someone says they hear on a cel phone clip suggest the new album as a whole will be an Autotuned disappointment?

So...we stretch this whole thing into suggesting Brian's word on the collaboration isn't the only explanation, and it isn't the final say because he's vacillated and changed stories in the past...but Jeff Beck's word is the final say for some on his interactions with Brian on the tour, in the studio, on his state of mind, and afterward what happened in a deli?

We'll see. I have to get back to arguing for the sake of arguing, anyone have a discussion that needs disrupting?  Cheesy

Wasn`t this comment about Bach from Stephen Desper. I think he`s more entitled than most to give his opinion.

As for believing Jeff Beck`s or Brian`s comments. They are both unreliable witnesses (as we all are when talking about our own lives). You are right that believing what Jeff says in his quotes and disbelieving Brian is unfair. The same goes the other way though surely.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:06 PM »

Are expectations of the fans here really that low to expect that these fans who come to post on a Beach Boys message board would at least wait to experience a project for themselves before posting the kind of criticisms - in some cases based on nothing beyond wild speculation - that have been seen in the various discussions about Brian Wilson's new projects?

Man...a new Brian Wilson album on a Beach Boys board is nowhere near in the same universe as Batman fans griping about Ben Affleck. Has it really sunk to that level?

A new Brian Wilson album...Ben Affleck and Batman.

Think about it.

Nicko1234
« Reply #168 on: August 20, 2014, 10:25:49 PM »

Are expectations of the fans here really that low to expect that these fans who come to post on a Beach Boys message board would at least wait to experience a project for themselves before posting the kind of criticisms - in some cases based on nothing beyond wild speculation - that have been seen in the various discussions about Brian Wilson's new projects?

Man...a new Brian Wilson album on a Beach Boys board is nowhere near in the same universe as Batman fans griping about Ben Affleck. Has it really sunk to that level?

A new Brian Wilson album...Ben Affleck and Batman.

Think about it.

It happens with every band. It`s human nature.

And I don`t really see how Beach Boys fans could or should really sneer at Batman fans...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2014, 10:28:26 PM »

Wasn`t this comment about Bach from Stephen Desper. I think he`s more entitled than most to give his opinion.

Click and read this:  http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17947.msg464561.html#msg464561

Nicko1234
« Reply #170 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »

Yep, it`s Stephen Desper who says that Brian was playing the interviewer.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »

Yep, it`s Stephen Desper who says that Brian was playing the interviewer.

Missed the point entirely.

The message at the link...are you ignoring what that said or didn't you read it?

Seriously.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2014, 10:40:53 PM »

Step by step for Nicko1234:

1. Click on the link   2. Read the specific message at that link  3. Get the point?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17947.msg464561.html#msg464561

Simple.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »

Conflicting reports from Desper and Ray. I think the question is more who you would believe more, and why?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Nicko1234
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2014, 10:46:40 PM »

Step by step for Nicko1234:

1. Click on the link   2. Read the specific message at that link  3. Get the point?

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,17947.msg464561.html#msg464561

Simple.

Nice attitude admin.  LOL

Sure, I can read Ray Lawlor`s post.

I can also read Stephen Desper`s post which does mention Brian playing the interviewers which is presumably what you referred to in your post.

Now comments like Stephen Desper`s are not, `drawn from the same well` as anything. The board is all about people giving different opinions and it`s cool that 2 people who have known Brian during different periods have given their comments.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx