gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681088 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 22, 2024, 04:05:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Details on "Summer Love Songs" (NEW STEREO MIXES)  (Read 24468 times)
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2009, 08:04:52 AM »

Alright... so nobody's asked the question... I will

Dennis Wilson and Rumbo  released  Lady/Sound of Free  as a single..

on the new compilation we have  "Falling in Love"   unreleased Dennis Wilson track...

the question should be... is this just a stereo mix of the track from 1970.. ( then why a name change??)
or is this a newer recording... didn't Dennis re-cut this track in '78 and rename it then?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:25:24 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2009, 08:57:54 AM »

Alright... so nobody's asked the question... I will

Dennis Wilson and Rumbo  released  Lady/Sound of Free  as a single..

on the new compilation we have  "Falling in Love"   unreleased Dennis Wilson track...

the question should be... is this just a stereo mix of the track from 1970.. ( then why a name change??)
or is this a newer recording... didn't Dennis re-cut this track in '78 and rename it then?
I think if this track had been released on a BB's LP in '70/71 it was going to be called "Fallin' In Love", but anyway, the version on the new comp. is the same '70 track in a different and much improved mix.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »

Thanks Jon

as always.. your insight is greatly appreciated...

So "Flowers Come in The Spring" from later in the 70's remains available for a future Dennis comp...
 Smiley

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »

I noticed that In the Parking Lot is on this comp. Is that gonna be a new stereo version also (it was mentioned that it was one of the songs found on the master tape)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »

I noticed that In the Parking Lot is on this comp. Is that gonna be a new stereo version also (it was mentioned that it was one of the songs found on the master tape)

I don't think there's a whole lot more one could do with that, since the track would be recorded in mono and the vocals were already spread out fairly balanced.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2009, 02:54:05 PM »

I don't think there's a whole lot more one could do with that, since the track would be recorded in mono and the vocals were already spread out fairly balanced.

An a capella mix, on the other hand, would be a frighteningly good idea.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2009, 03:42:42 PM »

In The Parking Lot would be a great one, always loved that intro. I'd love a "Stack-o-Vocals" compilation of the Beach Boys. That would be a fantastic idea for a new comp. (imo)

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2009, 07:23:52 PM »

Ok..........
PhilCohen
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2009, 08:49:29 PM »

But...do the newly discovered tapes contain anything further than what's being released on "Summer Love Songs".....material that could be used on future CD's?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

But...do the newly discovered tapes contain anything further than what's being released on "Summer Love Songs".....material that could be used on future CD's?

If you mean material like new stereo mixes, only "Pom Pom Playgirl" would really benefit, as I believe that had the same recording/mixing process as "Don't Worry Baby" and a few of the other songs on Shut Down Vol. II.  "Denny's Drums" may have also been recorded in stereo, though I'm not sure.  Whether they'll ever go to the trouble of remixing two tracks typically regarded as filler by fans has yet to be seen.

The other stuff on the tapes, the tracking sessions, the vocal outtakes, all of it, is all stuff that could be complied on a new rarities compilation, albeit in an edited, digested, BRI approved form.

I'd love to hear whatever backing tracks there are.  And perhaps a few of the tracking sessions.  It's time for another Stack-O-Tracks volume, please.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2009, 11:46:54 PM »

I've always really liked "Pom Pom Play Girl" with its many unusual modulations at the end, but
it's kind of quirky and wouldn't fit well with the summer love song theme. Too bad, a new
stereo mix of it would be great and I actually like it slightly better than "In the Parkin' Lot", +
I didn't think that the latter was one of the songs on the newly rediscovered masters and would
appear in a new mix. Huh

Great about the new extended intro to "Why do Fools Fall in Love".

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2009, 11:53:16 PM »

I was wrong, Jon said that "In the Parkin' Lot" was on the recovered masters, but it sounds like
it wasn't possible to do a new mix of it. Too bad. Still great news overall! Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2009, 12:29:12 AM »

Ok..........

Nope - not OK at all. Someone actually got paid for that ?  And someone else said "yeah, that's fine" ??   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 13, 2009, 08:20:33 AM »

Pass.

There's just too much good stuff out there to be spending my money on, without re-re-re-re-buying stuff I already have.  I didn't bite on the Greatest Hits 1, 2, 3 or these latest "Summer" varieties.  Nor did I bite on the $100+ "singles" boxset nonsense.  Total debacle.  Not that I mind re-buying -- I've got all the 90s twofers and all the 2000 twofers (as well as a few of the 80s/90s single disc albums.) -- and I'd buy them AGAIN if they were remastered, packaged like POB, and given a bonus disc of stereo mixes, alts, single mixes.  Hell yeah!!!!!

I would have gotten the Singles box if it weren't so ridiculously over-priced with a meaningless "book" with zippy content or facts/notes on the singles. It was a missed opportunity for a potentially great release.  If I were in those meetings, I would have fought for something better.   Angry  (I guarantee, I would have given the label a revered Singles box and true collectors item with impressive sales.  This one will be forgotten.)

But with so much unreleased Brian Wilson/Beach Boys stuff in the vault -- no way.  The "It's a beautiful day" thread reminded me of how much wonderful music is collecting dust.   Cry

I know there's label issues and band-member issues around releasing that stuff...but I've got principles and they're not worthless.  There's a price, they have value.  I want Adult Child, California Feeling, etc.  I need that stuff.  I don't need this.  I'd bite on a HITS compilation if it were all remixes....but that's it.  It's called making a playlist...I'm too lazy to ever make them...but I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it for me.

I applaud Capitol's awareness of heavy-fans while releasing nice comps for new fans.  They probably don't need to waste time and money on finding and remixing classic material, but they do anyway.  They're trying to please both camps -- which is commendable.  But they'd be doing it on my dime if I bought it.  And I believe there's two separate, distinct markets there -- one of which isn't being served.  I would like to be served and I will pay for that service -- but I will not compromise.  The vast majority of fans, casual they are -- can pick this up if they need it.  Although Sounds of Summer is still in stores and that has probably held them over.  I'm still waiting however.

And that's a well-written paragraph on why none of us should be buying this.    LOL
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:10:14 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

And here's why we should be buying this (and why I will).

We're fans. It's what we do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »

Not in this economy...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2009, 09:08:18 AM »

Ok..........

Nope - not OK at all. Someone actually got paid for that ?  And someone else said "yeah, that's fine" ??   Grin

Reminds me of the poster for the Endless Summer surfing film.   The graphic "artist" probably borrowed from that.   http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HkigL1rqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

Interesting to me is that they name the person who returned the tape and there seem to have been no negative repercussions for the person.....so I'm optimistically imagining that there may be some others out there who will feel like the time is right and the situation conducive to returning other "lost tapes".   

Just a dream I suppose, but somewhere over the rainbow there must be more tapes in private hands.
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2009, 09:28:13 AM »

Pass.

There's just too much good stuff out there to be spending my money on, without re-re-re-re-buying stuff I already have.  I didn't bite on the Greatest Hits 1, 2, 3 or these latest "Summer" varieties.  Nor did I bite on the $100+ "singles" boxset nonsense.  Total debacle.

Actually, you shouldn't pass on the Greatest Hits 1, 2 & 3, because these are the only comps that feature the correct single mixes for ALL the tracks on them - and I'm including the U.S. SINGLES box in that comparison.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:50:53 AM by JeffRetro » Logged
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2009, 09:51:11 AM »

Pass.

There's just too much good stuff out there to be spending my money on, without re-re-re-re-buying stuff I already have.  I didn't bite on the Greatest Hits 1, 2, 3 or these latest "Summer" varieties.  Nor did I bite on the $100+ "singles" boxset nonsense.  Total debacle.

Actually, you shouldn't pass on the Greatest Hits 1, 2 & 3, becasue these are the only comps that feature the correct single mixes for ALL the tracks on them - and I'm including the U.S. SINGLES box in that comparison.

I know!  Stop telling me that!!!!!!! You're not helping!!!!  I'm an addict!!!!!!    Smokin

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:23 AM »

Pass.

Actually, you shouldn't pass on the Greatest Hits 1, 2 & 3, becasue these are the only comps that feature the correct single mixes for ALL the tracks on them - and I'm including the U.S. SINGLES box in that comparison.

I know!  Stop telling me that!!!!!!! You're not helping!!!!  I'm an addict!!!!!!    Smokin

Oh, and I should probably add that the UK Best Of The Brother Years is preferable to the US GH 3 disc as it has the single edit of HCTN and the long fade version of "Sumahama" from the original 45. :-)  The songs dropped to make room for those were simply album tracks that are available on the two-fers.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:12 AM »

Damn you rocky pamplin.

Angry

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:45 AM »

Damn you rocky pamplin.

Angry

Hey, just be happy they haven't reissued THE ROCK on CD; then you'd really be in a quandry.

Unless ultra tepid, totally limp, poorly-sung tenth rate disco is your bag.  Cool
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »

Damn you rocky pamplin.

Angry
Thank God, normal-sized, black text! Hallelujah!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2009, 10:32:05 AM »

Cheesy

OMG. "The Rock?"  Shocked  Well...if it's so bad, it may contain "train-wreck" entertainment value.  But...no probably a good thing it's Out Of Print.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx