gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680960 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 06:38:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psychedelic talk Jokes and Laughter question.  (Read 5150 times)
thebeachboysfan1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2014, 01:43:41 AM »

Hi
There's this track on a compilation that has Brian and Marilyn and some other people on it.  It's the one where he's eating chips and just saying random words.  I can hear Marilyn, some other guy (possibly Loren Schwartz?)  But who is the other girl?  Doesn't sound like Ginger Blake, possibly Barbra?  If anyone may have any ideas, that'd be great.  It's on Youtube if you don't know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 01:48:24 AM by thebeachboysfan1 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:27:26 AM »

Bit of a lame question perhaps, but where on YouTube?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:00:07 AM »

Yeah I want to hear this. Link please.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »

Brian Wilson, Diane Rovell, Van Dyke Parks, Michael Vosse, Jules Siegel, and Danny Hutton.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »

Brian Wilson, Diane Rovell, Van Dyke Parks, Michael Vosse, Jules Siegel, and Danny Hutton.
Okay, thanks. So no Marilyn. (Still no gosh darn link!)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »

We might be mixing up the audio in question: The original post was *I think* the one where Marilyn comes in with a plate of food or something as the conversations are flowing, and this audio if you listen verrrrry close was recorded over a "Little Girl I Once Knew" recording session reel. You can hear "Little Girl" bleeding through the audio of the conversation.

I need to listen again but I'm almost sure Marilyn is on that tape, and comes into the room with a casserole or something...maybe I'm dreaming that.  Grin

It's tagged onto the Pet Sounds volumes of the SOT series, I'll confirm but I think it was volume 14.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAI9xfrjIQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-fAL29QQ-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep65u_O9t50

It was volume 13 - last track of the last disc.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »

13, 14...I was close.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »

Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:39:34 AM »

The one I was talking about was the "Do You Like Worms" session, October 1966.  Two different tapes I think we're talking about.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:11 AM »

And it is on SOT volume 14, disc 4! Score one for my memory on this one!  Grin

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »

Confirmed: Brian and Marilyn, another guy and another girl. If I knew at one time who the other two were, I can't remember now.  Angry

Confirmed: They're eating Laura Scudder brand potato chips.  Grin

Confirmed: They're buzzin' and munchin' like crazy. Or so it sounds.

Guesses: Barbara Rovell as the other girl? Ginger Blake? She sounds younger yet seems to know the names Murry-Audree-Mae, which suggests family (Barbara). Danny Hutton and June Fairchild? Steve Korthof? Arnie Geller? The guy mentions taking a call for Brian, I doubt Hutton would be answering phones for Brian at this point...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »

You cheated and looked at the other thread!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:06:24 AM »

You cheated and looked at the other thread!

I cheated and blew the dust off a stack of CD's I haven't played in a long time...  Wink

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:23:55 AM »

Yeah, been a long time since I've played my SOT's too.  Gotta pull out the vocal session for Dance, Dance, Dance soon.

* Glen Campbell playing the intro in the studio and making mistakes resulting in multiple takes.*

Glen (after a couple of breakdowns) - "Damn it to Hell!"
Other musician - "Brian, do you want to call Jerry Cole?"
Glen - "What are you going to call him?"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:01:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 02:16:50 AM »

Given that Diane was the contractor for almost every Smile session, very likely her. There's the other reason too, of course...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 03:25:19 AM »

Wow. Thank you.

However, this page (http://www.surfermoon.com/boots/sot14.shtml) makes it a pair of tracks at the end of Volume 14...??
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 03:54:53 AM by john k » Logged

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:27 AM »

Yeah, I was very wrong.

You win THIS round, guitarfool.  Evil

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:51 AM »

Given that Diane was the contractor for almost every Smile session, very likely her. There's the other reason too, of course...

My logic was that we can hear some examples of Diane talking in the studio during this same time 1966-ish, and maybe it's just my ears but the voice on this specific bull session tape sounds a bit different, if not younger (?) than Diane. Other than that impression, I have no idea at this point who it is but they do sound like they know the family based on some of what they were discussing, which led me to think it could have been younger Rovell sister Barbara. And the guy again mentions answering a phone call for Brian, which suggests it wasn't someone outside the family or family friend circle.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 10:36:26 AM »

I compiled (transferred the SOT list) to the Cabinessence/Shut Down board and of course it's correct.  Smiley

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »

I always thought it was Brian, Marilyn, Diane, and someone named Bob Golden, I thought.  The same Bob Golden who shot the GV sessions footage.  I'm going back in my memory to BB board discussions from long ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2014, 10:23:45 PM »

I always thought it was Brian, Marilyn, Diane, and someone named Bob Golden, I thought.  The same Bob Golden who shot the GV sessions footage.  I'm going back in my memory to BB board discussions from long ago, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob Gordon (or Gordan), but I don't think that's him...or at least it doesn't sound like him, if I recall. We know or can hear what Diane and Bob definitely sounded like in 1966 to compare.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 11:02:11 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »

Are you certain of the brand? They're not Smiley Smile chips? It would be great to have aural confirmation of the depth of crunch, leaving only the flavour and packaging beyond the reach of collectors.

:D

“We live in divisive times.”
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »

Are you certain of the brand? They're not Smiley Smile chips? It would be great to have aural confirmation of the depth of crunch, leaving only the flavour and packaging beyond the reach of collectors.

:D

They could've been eating the very last bag of Beach Boys Party! chips in existence!  LOL

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

We might be mixing up the audio in question: The original post was *I think* the one where Marilyn comes in with a plate of food or something as the conversations are flowing, and this audio if you listen verrrrry close was recorded over a "Little Girl I Once Knew" recording session reel. You can hear "Little Girl" bleeding through the audio of the conversation.

That is sad. I guess at the time they didn't really think about preserving stuff like that. What a shame.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx