gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680885 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 02, 2024, 09:32:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Don't Brian's "people" release a "Best of Disk"? There's Some Good Stuff  (Read 6457 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »

It sure as hell is better than the audio rape that is called 'Going Public'.

The fall of the house of Usher.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »

Factoid: The Country Bear Jamboree could "license" the name Beach Boys.... Butta...News flash (I mean factoid) they still AINT the bloody Beach Boys. Even the terminally blind must see that. But again-due enjoy.
Jason
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »

The thing I love so much about the terminally short people known as Brianistas, besides the fact that they got no reason, is how Brian never does anything wrong. Brian (or rather, Melinda) voted to give Michael the license along with Carl's estate. That is always forgotten for some reason...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 11:04:44 PM »

Factoid: The Country Bear Jamboree could "license" the name Beach Boys.... Butta...News flash (I mean factoid) they still AINT the bloody Beach Boys. Even the terminally blind must see that. But again-due enjoy.

Very much doubt that - there are strict stipulations in the BRI license.

You're new here, aintcha ?  Smiley

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:06 AM »

Brian, for the most part, has a loyal & dedicated cult following, and not much of a casual music buyer following...most of his fans will already have most, if not all, of his work, and a best-of probably would not sell very well.  I probably wouldn't even buy it unless it had something new on it...

Gosh darn Eric, you shouldn't have said that! You KNOW they have spies on this board! Now we'll get a Hits (sorry, Best Of...)  package with a freshly recorded version of L&M tagged on as a bonus!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 02:11:52 AM »

Andrew, I have a vague hunch that KirkMC's been here before....

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 02:33:31 AM »

Andrew, I have a vague hunch that KirkMC's been here before....

Me too, but I have time on my hands and truth, justice & the American Way on my side. Mind, having one's ass booted off the Bloo is something of a compliment these days.  Grin

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »

And I bought LBWL in Sacremento, first day it was out. I like it. Pretty much no-one else does.  LOL

I bought LBWL off ebay on vinyl which was in very good condition and strangely quite cheap...
I've probably listened to it a couple of times more than i've listened to Carls albums - but thats still less than double figures for the amount of listens to any of them!

A best of Brian would be good but production-wise it would be all over the place.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:00 AM »

Wow. Touchie little "click" around here...I simply don't think anyone should be using the name Beach Boys, or Beatles or The Who, or anything like that-cause they no longer exist! That's all. If people get something out of these things well "goodie" for them. It's a free world, ya know. I happen to find it sickening. If people wanna wrap themselves up in a pair of M.I.U/ S.I.P. jammies and fart Kokomo on a plastic kazoo, till their little surf boards turn pink-go right ahead! More paddle to ya...I happen to find it ludicrous-Ya"portly buncha fuss Potts!" -) By the way... If Mr Love had the balls to tour for what he is-like the Mike and BRuce  Love Review or something-I'd support him... And if Brian wIlson toured as the Beach Boys-I would not. So, figure out a new moniker for people like me -cause it ain't Brianista's. )That's tired old term, just like Love's fraudulent little act to a community center near you.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:04 AM »

By the way... If Mr Love had the balls to tour for what he is-like the Mike and BRuce  Love Review or something-I'd support him...

He did - in 1998, right after Carl died: toured as America's Band (sometimes "America's Band featuring Mike Love of The Beach Boys"). Died on their collective ass, so Mike went back to BRI and a deal was brokered for anyone who wanted to tour (but not record) as The Beach Boys.

And if Brian wIlson toured as the Beach Boys-I would not.

Nor would I, nor anyone outside of the Bloo.

So, figure out a new moniker for people like me -cause it ain't Brianista's. )That's tired old term, just like Love's fraudulent little act to a community center near you.

Hmmmm... how about, "curmudgeon" ?  Roll Eyes

[I'll save you the hassle - "a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas"  Grin]

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 07:13:29 AM »

Speaking of "sticking" to "stuff I know about"...Mr....Doe...I know those clowns calling themselves the Beach Boys-AINT THE BEACH BOYS! Hope ya taped "Dancing With The stars"  Just a suggestion-of course. Do Enjoy! Oh, and buy the way S.I.P/ M.I.U/ and "Looking Back With Love" make a lovely gift for hearing impaired...May it be in your stocking with glee-this Christmas-) Good vibes to ya!

First, a small factoid - Mike & Bruce bill themselves as The Beach Boys because they've been voted that right by Brother Records Inc., that is by Mike, Alan, Brian and the estate of Carl. They are legally entitled.  Grin

Saw "DWTS" and yes, it was pretty poor - mix was off and Mike had bronchitis. Actually, it was dire, but then the BB and/or BW on TV usually are.

And I bought LBWL in Sacremento, first day it was out. I like it. Pretty much no-one else does.  LOL

Does Mike still own Brian's vote? Was this a unanimous vote? Does Dennis' estate have a vote?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 07:27:38 AM »

Speaking of "sticking" to "stuff I know about"...Mr....Doe...I know those clowns calling themselves the Beach Boys-AINT THE BEACH BOYS! Hope ya taped "Dancing With The stars"  Just a suggestion-of course. Do Enjoy! Oh, and buy the way S.I.P/ M.I.U/ and "Looking Back With Love" make a lovely gift for hearing impaired...May it be in your stocking with glee-this Christmas-) Good vibes to ya!

First, a small factoid - Mike & Bruce bill themselves as The Beach Boys because they've been voted that right by Brother Records Inc., that is by Mike, Alan, Brian and the estate of Carl. They are legally entitled.  Grin

Saw "DWTS" and yes, it was pretty poor - mix was off and Mike had bronchitis. Actually, it was dire, but then the BB and/or BW on TV usually are.

Does Mike still own Brian's vote? Was this a unanimous vote? Does Dennis' estate have a vote?

Mike, Brian (or more accurately, Brian's management) & Alan each have a vote: Carl's estate also has a vote. Dennis' vote was sold back to BRI (by his estate I think - Jon can clarify that) to offset some of his debts.

And no, the vote for the 'Love license' (as it's become known) was 3-1. No-one's ever even hinted at who the detractor was, but the common assumption is that it was Alan (with no proof at all, it must be stressed).

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »

It must be said that I think Brian could probably care less about the touring BB in any way. I'm just grateful we don't have a situation like The Drifters, with 100s of splinter groups.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Paulos
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 09:01:13 AM »

If you're going to get upset about what constitutes 'The Beach Boys' it could be argued that 'The Beach Boys' as originally signed to Capitol were the original Beach Boys but as soon as David left they no longer were 'The Beach Boys' and became 'The Beach Boys featuring Alan Jardine'. Or something....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 09:21:06 AM »

If you're going to get upset about what constitutes 'The Beach Boys' it could be argued that 'The Beach Boys' as originally signed to Capitol were the original Beach Boys but as soon as David left they no longer were 'The Beach Boys' and became 'The Beach Boys featuring Alan Jardine'. Or something....

This way lies madness...  Grin

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 02:21:11 PM »

Maybe they should call themselves Creedence Clearwater Revival.  Or The Byrds.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »

A fascinating concept. I suddenly feel as though I've been ripped off these past 40-some years and that I've never real seen the real deal!  Knebworth suddenly seems to have been some kind of pastiche!

And Matt Smith's no William Hartnell!

Aaaaaargh!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »

It would be funny if we got it all wrong, and the one vote against was Mike.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:32 PM »

If Brian were to tour (the U.S., anyway) without playing those "ridiculous 'hits'," I think his tours would lose more money than they reportedly do already. While many of us like BW solo material, and of course are always trying to expose other people to it, to believe that anyone not familiar with that material would shell out $50+ to see a show that lacks the only BW-related music they have ever heard? Unlikely. And ditto, more or less, for the best-of album. Whoever is going to buy BW solo material already does, more or less. The people who would buy a best-of would be the people who already have most or all of the solo material.

Or they could lower ticket prices. I can not afford to pay 80 dollars (that's before fees, too) to see anyone at this point, even Brian who is way up there on the list of people I want to see. He's more a cult figure than anything, these days, and  80 for tickets just seems like a bit much. Just me.

Lower ticket prices, very likely more people going to the shows, and no pressure on Brian or anyone else to perform songs he's sick of doing.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »

Has nothing to do with Brian. It's what concerts cost now in the kind of venues he plays.

And 80 would be for a better-quality ticket. Cheap seats were 30-40 this last tour -- and have been since I started seeing him in the late 90s.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx