gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 20, 2024, 12:28:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Don't Brian's "people" release a "Best of Disk"? There's Some Good Stuff  (Read 6475 times)
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:09 PM »

Maybe:

1) Love & Mercy
2) Walkin' the Line
3) Melt Away
4) Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long
5) Gettin' In Over My Head
6) Your Imagination (too bad the production sucks)
7) Lay Down Burden
Cool Cry
9) Goin Home
10 Midnight's Another Day (Demo' version)
11 Rio Grande

Bonus Track: You're Still A Mystery/ Someone To Love/ Don't Let Her know She'sAn Angel (Both Insanity versions)

And stop touring oldies...
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »

Don't you know that 'Best-Of' collections are the mark of a has-been?

Nobody can rightfully call themselves a has-been if they're officially authorized to finish Gershwin songs.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »

Don't you know that 'Best-Of' collections are the mark of a has-been?

Nobody can rightfully call themselves a has-been if they're officially authorized to finish Gershwin songs.

Damn straight. Darian and Scott sure aren't has-beens......wait a minute! Oh...you thought BRIAN was going to be finishing these songs? I'll be waiting with the birthday cake. Smiley

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:31:19 AM »

It might be nice for the casual listener to have the best of his solo stuff on a single disk- just to keep 'em educated...It would be wise, no? Good business...? And did  doesn't anyone else think Brian should knock off those ridiculous "hits" tours? Leave that twaddle to whoever those people are parading around as the Beach Boys...May they rest in peace.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »

1) Love And Mercy
2) Walkin' The Line
3) Meet Me In My Dreams Tonight
4) One For The Boys
5) Melt Away (Don Was version)
6) Orange Crate Art
7) Your Imagination
Cool She Says That She Needs Me
9) Lay Down Burden
10) This Isn't Love (Live At The Roxy)
11) Be My Baby (Live At The Roxy)
12) Don't Talk (PS Live Version)
13) Desert Drive
14) Saturday Morning In The City
15) Soul Searchin'
16) Gettin' In Over My Head
17) Our Prayer/Gee
18) Heroes And Villains (Both from BWPS)
19) Midnight's Another Day
20) Going Home
21) Southern California
22) Rio Grande

Would anyone buy that? Assuming the BB's would let him have the licenses for Don't Talk and the Smile tracks....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:12 AM »

Go to the iTunes store & build your own 'best of.'

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »

Brian, for the most part, has a loyal & dedicated cult following, and not much of a casual music buyer following...most of his fans will already have most, if not all, of his work, and a best-of probably would not sell very well.  I probably wouldn't even buy it unless it had something new on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »

It would save the "casual" listener having to surf through some of the absolute dreck on most of Brian's solo work -esp GIOMH!
Dig? It would at least give the best of some o' the solo stuff a shot at being discovered. The good stuff is worth it-I think.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »

I don't think Brian has enough "hits" his solo repertoire to put out a greatest hits compilation.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:34 PM »

I think a 2 disc Beach Boys go solo would be great.

I posted a comp on a thread in the general music board of my top from the guys.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »

No. Not "hits"-I don't think he has any-just a "best of" the solo stuff, ya know...Smile doesn't count. People might really dig it....
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »

You have to throw in a couple tracks from the Paley Sessions and Sweet Insanity (v.1 or 2) to make this package worth the cash.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:23 AM »

"I don't think Brian has enough "hits" his solo repertoire to put out a greatest hits compilation.2

Never bothered the music industry before.

Honk! Honk!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 07:36:29 AM »

Go to the iTunes store & build your own 'best of.'

That would end up costing a fortune! A buck a tune, for, say, 20 songs? Yikes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »

I think it'd be cool if Brian had a 'one night only' show to showcase his solo efforts and recorded it...that way we'd get some modern versions of BW88 and Imagination.... heck, maybe he'd perform some Paley sessions or Gary Usher sessions...I'd be happy with anything

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

Why can't I find Brian's Live at the Roxy on itunes anywhere? Or at any store for that matter.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »

I don't know, probably something to do with it being on Brian's own label (i think?). I got mine off ebay, if that helps.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »

And did  doesn't anyone else think Brian should knock off those ridiculous "hits" tours? Leave that twaddle to whoever those people are parading around as the Beach Boys...May they rest in peace.

You've seen Mike & Bruce in the last few years, you're entitled to voice your opinion

You haven't, suggest you stick to commenting on stuff you know about.

The current touring Beach Boys band is never less than good, and frequently outstanding (and before anyone says anything, cheesy TV medleys don't count).   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »

If Brian were to tour (the U.S., anyway) without playing those "ridiculous 'hits'," I think his tours would lose more money than they reportedly do already. While many of us like BW solo material, and of course are always trying to expose other people to it, to believe that anyone not familiar with that material would shell out $50+ to see a show that lacks the only BW-related music they have ever heard? Unlikely. And ditto, more or less, for the best-of album. Whoever is going to buy BW solo material already does, more or less. The people who would buy a best-of would be the people who already have most or all of the solo material.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »

My personal best of Brian Wilson would try to make it flow in a random order then in chronilogical order. Something like this...

One For the Boys
Brian Wilson/Til I Die (Live at Roxy)
Let's Go to Heaven In My Car
City Blues
Good Kind of Love
Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight
She Says that She Needs Me
Midnight's Another Day
Cry
Can't Wait Too Long
Sunshine
Fairy Tale
Live Let Live
Saturday Morning in the City
There's So Many
Lay Down Burden
Southern California
The Waltz
Rio Grande
Love and Mercy (IWMFTT)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 08:29:17 AM »

Speaking of "sticking" to "stuff I know about"...Mr....Doe...I know those clowns calling themselves the Beach Boys-AINT THE BEACH BOYS! Hope ya taped "Dancing With The stars"  Just a suggestion-of course. Do Enjoy! Oh, and buy the way S.I.P/ M.I.U/ and "Looking Back With Love" make a lovely gift for hearing impaired...May it be in your stocking with glee-this Christmas-) Good vibes to ya!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 08:44:20 AM »

Speaking of "sticking" to "stuff I know about"...Mr....Doe...I know those clowns calling themselves the Beach Boys-AINT THE BEACH BOYS! Hope ya taped "Dancing With The stars"  Just a suggestion-of course. Do Enjoy! Oh, and buy the way S.I.P/ M.I.U/ and "Looking Back With Love" make a lovely gift for hearing impaired...May it be in your stocking with glee-this Christmas-) Good vibes to ya!

First, a small factoid - Mike & Bruce bill themselves as The Beach Boys because they've been voted that right by Brother Records Inc., that is by Mike, Alan, Brian and the estate of Carl. They are legally entitled.  Grin

Saw "DWTS" and yes, it was pretty poor - mix was off and Mike had bronchitis. Actually, it was dire, but then the BB and/or BW on TV usually are.

And I bought LBWL in Sacremento, first day it was out. I like it. Pretty much no-one else does.  LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »

Weird how the Beach Boys have always tended to sound awful in big TV spots  (let's say post 60's for sure). When it counts most, they have tended to show up the smallest. To my ears and eyes, the best TV performance was from 1980 where they went from Good Vibes right into Goin On. That was a stellar version of Goin On.
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 01:23:37 PM »

First, a small factoid - Mike & Bruce bill themselves as The Beach Boys because they've been voted that right by Brother Records Inc., that is by Mike, Alan, Brian and the estate of Carl. They are legally entitled.  Grin

Saw "DWTS" and yes, it was pretty poor - mix was off and Mike had bronchitis. Actually, it was dire, but then the BB and/or BW on TV usually are.

And I bought LBWL in Sacremento, first day it was out. I like it. Pretty much no-one else does.  LOL

LBWL is nowhere near as bad as a lot of people make out (calling Bret Wheaton) and whilst I don't love it I don't hate it either. It sure as hell is better than the audio rape that is called 'Going Public'.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:37 PM »

It sure as hell is better than the audio rape that is called 'Going Public'.

Nice!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx