gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 10:24:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who has been the greatest live act ever?  (Read 6276 times)
Spiritinthesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »

Who has been the greatest live act ever?

The Stones, U2, Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Queen, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Nirvana or someone else?

This Day in Music have just started a poll to find out. If you fancy voting for who you think should win go to http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 07:20:35 PM »

From mid-1967 to mid-1968 anyway, ladies and gentlemen, The Doors!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 07:38:34 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »

For me it's The Who (the original lineup of course).
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 03:49:36 AM »

Van Morrison, and Brian Wilson.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2008, 10:20:46 AM »

1970-74 era Beach Boys!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »

The Who, hands down. Especially circa 1969 to 1971.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

It's hard to say going off old video, which is all I can do for the bands that seem to me to be the best. But Led Zeppelin and Queen seem right up there. And Prince, whom I have seen live several times in different size venues, has to be right up there.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »

Elvis Presley

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 01:29:04 AM »

Elvis Presley

On the whole, I prefer El Vez.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:50 PM »

The Who 69-71 original line up.  I saw them all of those years ago and of the scores of acts I have seen before and since, nothing has topped that show.  Burned into my memory.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:09 AM »

I put in the fourth vote for The Who, can't match that energy

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:18:34 AM »

Springsteen

The Who, Van, and the rest are (or were) right there at their best but they have not always at their best.  Springsteen consistently has been for so many years.  Certainly I've seen  the Who do a stellar show but also a (not terrible but) less-than-stellar one (Quadropenia tour Los Angeles).  Townsend even said they stunk the next day blaming it on the sound system (which  may well have been right).   
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:38 AM »

You're talking about the 90's Quadrophenia performance?

That wouild be the Moonless Who.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:37 AM »

No, I am talking about the original Quadrophenia tour,  Los Angeles Nov. 22, 1973 (on the 10th aniversary of the assasination of President Kennedy).  They were flat.  It did get a lot better at the end of the show and they did an (apparently rare for that time) encore.  Townsend was unhappy with the performance and to his credit (and to some success) tried to fire things up near the end of the show. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:14:55 AM by mikee » Logged
Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 08:06:55 AM »

While I've seen some great individual shows in my life, The Stones in 72 and 89, The Airplane in 70, Zeppelin in 73, The Beach Boys from 72-77, Brian playing SMiLE @ Carnegie Hall, Springsteen, The Who in 79 (without Moon) etc...  The band that I found to be the most interesting, innovative, sometimes reaching out for some sort of cosmic goal and getting there, and sometimes falling flat on their faces, you always wanted to come back for more, The Grateful Dead.  I saw them play about 100 plus times from 79 till Garcia died in 95.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:23 AM »

The Grateful Dead, like the Who were certainly first rate at their best.  However, over the years the quality of their performances was inconsistant.   While a little bit of that might be due to the risks the Dead took in on improvisation, I would say that the main reason was drug abuse and that this was true for the Who also.   I suspect that abstinence from the use of drugs greatly helped Springsteen (and Zappa for that matter) to maintain an impeccably consistent level of high performance over their careers.  Zappa was addicted to tobacco but  avoided all illegal drugs and tried to see that the rest of his bands members did also.             
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »

While I've seen some great individual shows in my life, The Stones in 72 and 89, The Airplane in 70, Zeppelin in 73, The Beach Boys from 72-77, Brian playing SMiLE @ Carnegie Hall, Springsteen, The Who in 79 (without Moon) etc...  The band that I found to be the most interesting, innovative, sometimes reaching out for some sort of cosmic goal and getting there, and sometimes falling flat on their faces, you always wanted to come back for more, The Grateful Dead.  I saw them play about 100 plus times from 79 till Garcia died in 95.

But the Dead, the Who, or Springsteen didn't have Carl or Dennis Wilson in their bands, did they? Who needs Jer-Bear, Pete Townshend, or The Boss when you've got the Wilson Bros.?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 02:41:28 AM »

It seems like Zappa gets overlooked when this question comes up. I should have nominated Frank, ... so I do.  He always had an amazing lineup.  Great musicians, recognizing the level and of his music, gravitated to him.   They had to be good since among his works are some of the most challenging pieces to perform in music history (and not just rock music history).  His bands were able to perform  consistently at an amazingly high level because Frank rehearsed them 6-12 hours a day - 5 days a week.  Some of the musicians complained it was like having a regular job but it was a mandated commitment to excellence that yielded great musical rewards.  A key to his live performances were the complicated series of hand signals Frank utilized.  If they ever had a bad night, it probably had nothing to due with the level of performance. 
Of course anyones choice of "greatest" is generally limited to those artists that they like the best. You would be hard pressed, though,  to find another artist who gave himself a more difficult challenge on stage and was able to meet it's requirements so impeccably.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »

No, I am talking about the original Quadrophenia tour,  Los Angeles Nov. 22, 1973 (on the 10th aniversary of the assasination of President Kennedy).  They were flat.  It did get a lot better at the end of the show and they did an (apparently rare for that time) encore.  Townsend was unhappy with the performance and to his credit (and to some success) tried to fire things up near the end of the show. 

Yeah, that was the tour with the malfunctioning synth tapes and the songs necessitating  - I think - 22 guitar changes. Worked in the studio, not so much live. At their 1969-1971 peak though, they are untouchable.
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

Genesis: 1972-1975 Gabriel era. 1976-1980 early Collins era!

Genesis during that period consistently put on some of the Greatest Live shows ever!!!! Be it with Gabriel fronting
or when Phil took over.IMHO after Duke tour 1980 they stopped being a great live band.

Big Bri
MBE
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 04:31:22 AM »

Elvis Presley any concert through 70
Jerry Lee any concert through 73
The Who 65-72
James Brown 59-74
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx