gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680975 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 08:04:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Don't Worry Bill"  (Read 3148 times)
AMDG
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »

I downloaded "Wonderbill" off of Walmart and was wondering about the history of "Don't Worry Bill".  Who wrote it?  When was it written? What album was it for?  Why the medley with "Wonderful".
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »

It was written by Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Faatar and first appeared on the Flame's Brother Records debut.  Really what you're hearing in "Wonderbill" is just the second half of that song-- the Flame's version has a really lovely intro section that was excluded from the Beach Boys' take.

I have no idea why the band chose to merge "Don't Worry Bill" with "Wonderful".  Maybe the idea evolved out of a jam session?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »

It was written by Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Faatar and first appeared on the Flame's Brother Records debut.  Really what you're hearing in "Wonderbill" is just the second half of that song-- the Flame's version has a really lovely intro section that was excluded from the Beach Boys' take.

I have no idea why the band chose to merge "Don't Worry Bill" with "Wonderful".  Maybe the idea evolved out of a jam session?

According to the information on the record it was written by all 4 Flame-members, which also include Brother Fataar and Steve Fataar. The intro of that song is indeed great. Very Beatles-like too. If you want to hear the original version: The Flame-album has just been released on cd. Most internet-cd stores offer it at the moment.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 05:49:49 AM »

According to the information on the record it was written by all 4 Flame-members, which also include Brother Fataar and Steve Fataar. The intro of that song is indeed great. Very Beatles-like too. If you want to hear the original version: The Flame-album has just been released on cd. Most internet-cd stores offer it at the moment.

Great news !! Why didn't I know this before?  Shocked Anyway, that album is a great one ! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GCF8ZE/sr=1-1/qid=1155300469/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3611490-6212735?ie=UTF8&s=music

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:14:26 PM »

According to the information on the record it was written by all 4 Flame-members, which also include Brother Fataar and Steve Fataar.

That's cool to know.  I only have a CD-R of a needle drop, so I've never seen the writing credits.  At the 1972 Radio Luxumborg show, Carl says the song was written by Blondie and Ricky, but then he probably didn't want to confuse the audience.

I was HIGHLY disappointed that the recent Flame re-issue does not include the lost second Brother album, as Stephen Desper had previously alluded to.  Sad to say, I probably will not be buying it for that fact.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 01:44:04 PM »

According to the information on the record it was written by all 4 Flame-members, which also include Brother Fataar and Steve Fataar.

That's cool to know.  I only have a CD-R of a needle drop, so I've never seen the writing credits.  At the 1972 Radio Luxumborg show, Carl says the song was written by Blondie and Ricky, but then he probably didn't want to confuse the audience.

I was HIGHLY disappointed that the recent Flame re-issue does not include the lost second Brother album, as Stephen Desper had previously alluded to.  Sad to say, I probably will not be buying it for that fact.

It looks like a rush-release, with no Brother-involvement whatsoever. I als have the idea that Desper wasn't (or minimally at most) informed on this. IT would've been a better release if bonustracks would have been added. Second album...or some single-edits.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:49:34 PM »

It looks like a rush-release, with no Brother-involvement whatsoever. I als have the idea that Desper wasn't (or minimally at most) informed on this. IT would've been a better release if bonustracks would have been added. Second album...or some single-edits.

I agree completely. Not only based upon personal opinion though. The fact that most people who'd be interested in this album probably would've tracked it down by now so a CD version would only be something of a novelty. If it had been re-mastered or packaged with unreleased or unavailable tracks, there would be more interest from the hardcore fans, thus, more sales and more pubilicity. Basically, a win/win situation. It seems that everyone loses out this way (except for those who aren't lucky enough to have it on LP that is)..still, it would've been more respectful to the group if they made an effort with liners, extra tracks, etc...

MBE
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »

I think they should do what they are doing with Pet Sounds. Have a CD and 2 LP set that has both Flame projects with original posters and inserts.
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 01:22:19 PM »

I have to add a couple of things about "Don't Worry Bill."  It is my favorite song off the Flame album, and that is really saying something.  The brief guitar solo after the last "don't worry Bill, she loves you still" is about as orgasmic a musical moment as I have ever heard.  And when Ricky really kicks out with the rolling drum fills on the fade -- just incredible.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between the chord progression on the early verses and that of the verses on John Lennon's "Free As a Bird."  Seems like a case of plagiarism to me -- by Lennon, who composed his song about six years after "Don't Worry Bill" was released.  John also plagiarized "Don't Worry Baby" for "Just Like Starting Over."

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 02:43:06 PM »

I think they should do what they are doing with Pet Sounds. Have a CD and 2 LP set that has both Flame projects with original posters and inserts.

I guess that would be too expensive. I don't think "The Flame" would sell enough to get the money back.

@BDN: Yeah, "Free as a bird" always comes to my mind when I hear "The Flame"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:04:29 PM »

The best way to lose the fight against mp3 is releasing ordinary-sounding CDs with minimal, poor packaging and no bonus tracks.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
MBE
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2006, 01:41:26 AM »

I think the cd and 2 LP set idea would work because so many labels (Get Back, Sundazed, Norton etc.) release a lot of cult bands material (Pretty Things, Dutch Outsiders) and seem to do well. The pressings are small but there enough people who would but something like this to do 1000 or so.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx