gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680964 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:36:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adult/Child - soniclovenoize reconstruction  (Read 9339 times)
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »

OK here it is, my reconstruction of Adult/Child.

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-beach-boys-adultchild.html

You probably know what to expect, but here's the interesting things:

- my own remixes of Life, Deep Purple, Everybody, Shortenin Bread, Lines, On Broadway and and It's Trying to Say.  Not a lot was needed, just some high end boost and some low end boost.  The mids I thought were very intact as compared to the Landlocked tapes.  imho I think it's an improvement and soudns just as good as the officially released tracks.  I think it soudns a bit better than Dumb angel's remaster job, warmer and friendlier. 
- Lots of work & thought was put into the volume fluctuations from track to track.  The rock songs should be louder than the big band songs, period.  So it needed to be done. 
- I made some cover art because there really isn't any good cover art in my opinion.  Mine is kinda dumb, but I think it's better than what's out there, so there you go! 

Thanks for listening

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »

Rock!

Downloading now!

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »

Thanks! If you have any spare time, see what you can do with Carry Me Home, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 02:41:08 AM »

Great work! A/C finally listenable to these ears!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »

This is so strange - I'd only heard the remixed versions on Dumb Angel Rarities before! Thanks for doing this though, sounds great! [Though part of me feels the UGH mix of HEY LITTLE should have been used, but yeah, that bridge, is, erm, interesting?

Thanks once again! Great work

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 04:27:50 AM »

Thank you!
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 10:57:27 AM »

thanks for another one!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:41:47 PM by zatch » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »

Great pleasure to listen to and I have added it to my official BB playlist along with your others. Thank you for sharing.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »

I am looking forward to smelling hearing this later in the car. Adult/Child is a strange beast in that I really enjoy songs like "It's Over Now", "Lines", "Everybody Wants To Live", "Still I Dream Of It", etc. but I cringe when I hear "Life Is For The Living", "HELP Is On The Way", "Deep Purple", "Hey Little Tomboy". Half genius, half too embarrassing to bother categorizing it. Thank you again for farting sharing this with us along with all of your other reconstructed unreleased albums. I'll be enjoying it today.  Smiley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »

Nice, looking forward to listening...

On another note - I never understood the inclusion of H:E:L:P and Games two can play on Adult Child bootlegs and thought originally when I first got the bootleg that it was just bootleggers getting it wrong and sticking other unreleased tracks on to fill up space. Obviously they sound/are from a completely different era and don't fit at all IMO so what was the thinking behind that I wonder???

RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 03:18:18 AM »

Thanks, this is really great! I'm going to listen this propably for the next couple months in my car  Grin
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 05:24:40 AM »

Way cool! I'm with the poster on the blog who suggests that you look into the scrapped album project, Brian and Andy Paley worked on.

shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

Awesome work as usual, soniclovenoize! Your version of Shortenin' Bread really rocks!!!

The only changes I would do to this set is switch the Landlocked-era outtakes to include "Sherry She Needs Me" (from MIC) and "My Diane" (from MIU) and also add "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" (from MIC as well) as the big finale of the album.  This really turns the album into a late 70s, f**ked up "Pet Sounds". 

I would really like to see you tackle Neil Young's "Homegrown" album next! Wink
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »

On another note - I never understood the inclusion of H:E:L:P and Games two can play on Adult Child bootlegs and thought originally when I first got the bootleg that it was just bootleggers getting it wrong and sticking other unreleased tracks on to fill up space. Obviously they sound/are from a completely different era and don't fit at all IMO so what was the thinking behind that I wonder???

The same thing he was thinking by putting "Good Time" on Love You, I'd imagine, just revisiting a song from the past that he liked.

Also, Mr.lovenoize, I hate to say it, but I agree with the couple comments here and on yer blog saying you should have used the Adult/Child mix of "Hey Little Tomboy" instead of the MIU Album mix. The latter has a kind of giggle-worthy drum overdub and, as off-putting as it is, those regrettable spoken parts in the bridge were going to be part of the album. Otherwise, everything sounds purty nice. ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »

Hey guys, thanks for the positive comments, that's really cool.  Smiley

I understand what you guys are saying about Tomboy, because that's the overwhelming opinion on the track I found while researching this.  So I'm not surprised at all.  But unfortunately, I stand by my decision to to choose the MIU version over the orignal A/C version, because I simply like the MIU version better, and to me, the more polished overdubs suited the song better and improved it.  I also thought the It's Over Now from MiC sounded cleaner than the GV version, hence my choice. 

But with that said--and I don't usually do this at all is I usually go by an "It is what it is" ethos on my blog--here is something you guys might enjoy, two "bonus tracks" for this reconstruction:
- Hey Little Tomboy (original A/C mix, soniclovenoize remaster)
- It's Over Now (original GV version, tape speed corrected)

So if you prefer these two versions, simply replace them with the ones I chose on my reconstruction.  They are of the same volume and have the same amount of track-silence/leader time afterwards, so they should fit seamlessly in with the rest of the tracks.

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/83387241/file.html
Both flac and mp3 are included.  Mp3s are tagged as tracks 13 and 14, so if you are going to swap them for the other versions, be sure to change the track number. 

Natural E
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »

Another fine job. And thanks too for the alternate mixes.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

Bonus tracks = bonus kudos. Muchas gracias amigo.  3D
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 12:22:03 PM »

For some reason, the boys never saw "time" as an important factor in selecting what material to include on their albums. That's why Surf's Up appeared in 1971 instead of not at all and Susie Cincinnati appeared many times (and most prominently in 1976). I personally think that the cohesion of some of their albums is ruined because of the use of old outtakes, but somehow I think Good Time works on Love You. It has a vibe and arrangement similar to the rest of the album (though it doesn't have a synth). I similarly think the food-centric lyrics of HELP (not sure about Games, which I've only heard once in passing) fit Adult/Child, even if the backing track was clearly cut in a different time and place.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:24:05 PM by Gabo » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 12:33:24 PM »

But with that said--and I don't usually do this at all is I usually go by an "It is what it is" ethos on my blog--here is something you guys might enjoy, two "bonus tracks" for this reconstruction:
- Hey Little Tomboy (original A/C mix, soniclovenoize remaster)
- It's Over Now (original GV version, tape speed corrected)

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/83387241/file.html
Both flac and mp3 are included.  Mp3s are tagged as tracks 13 and 14, so if you are going to swap them for the other versions, be sure to change the track number. 

Good decision. While I respect your decision to use the better sounding source material, those alternative versions would undoubtedly been the ones used on Adult/Child.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 03:20:25 AM »

For some reason, the boys never saw "time" as an important factor in selecting what material to include on their albums. That's why Surf's Up appeared in 1971 instead of not at all and Susie Cincinnati appeared many times (and most prominently in 1976). I personally think that the cohesion of some of their albums is ruined because of the use of old outtakes, but somehow I think Good Time works on Love You. It has a vibe and arrangement similar to the rest of the album (though it doesn't have a synth). I similarly think the food-centric lyrics of HELP (not sure about Games, which I've only heard once in passing) fit Adult/Child, even if the backing track was clearly cut in a different time and place.

yeah, I think good time works fine on Love You and stuff like surfs up works (not so sure about susie c though) but the vocal and production is so different on adult child recordings compared to landlocked that I just think it would have been a huge stretch to include them. I agree that HELP fits lyrically but maybe would have needed a new recording or at least vocal.

smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 03:58:25 AM »

It sounds awesome.  Thanks!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »

cool..thanks... also I really like those Beatles what if cds from the 70's, I wonder what one from 1980, or 1981 (Lennons post death with milk and honey tracks) would sound like.. maybe the album from 1980 can be called "Beatles 2" a two album set, part two to the white album since they would have a bunch of songs left over from when Lennon had his break for 5 years, and the album from 1981 could be an album cobbled together by the rest of the members after Lennon died as kind of a tribute, hence maybe "all those years ago" being on it..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:52:33 AM by joshferrell » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 05:13:39 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

cool..thanks... also I really like those Beatles what if cds from the 70's, I wonder what one from 1980, or 1981 (Lennons post death with milk and honey tracks) would sound like.. maybe the album from 1980 can be called "Beatles 2" a two album set, part two to the white album since they would have a bunch of songs left over from when Lennon had his break for 5 years, and the album from 1981 could be an album cobbled together by the rest of the members after Lennon died as kind of a tribute, hence maybe "all those years ago" being on it..

Funny you should mention that... 

After doing those five albums I was really kinda burnt out.  I really only planned on doing one or two, but after those two I realized that I had to do five to do it properly.  So I just wanted to get it over with you know, haha.  But once all five were done and I had an "out" with Lennon retiring, I became curious about exactly what you are talking about...  a Beatles 80s album or two.  So I started to slowly compile it just in case someone inquired about the possibility of one.  You are the first one!

So long story short, I've been working on it here and there ever since I did those Beatles albums.  At first I thought the task tedious, but as it turns out the bulk of it is either Double Fantasy or Tug Of War, which are not bad albums.  But the problem I'm having with it though is that there's more than enough good material for a single album, but not enough good material for a double album.  I've made two versions so far (a single LP and a double LP) and both don't seem quite right... 

So that's where that is.  Not sure if it'll ever be done, but it already has a cover and title, for what it's worth.   Grin

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Funny you should mention that... 

After doing those five albums I was really kinda burnt out.  I really only planned on doing one or two, but after those two I realized that I had to do five to do it properly.  So I just wanted to get it over with you know, haha.  But once all five were done and I had an "out" with Lennon retiring, I became curious about exactly what you are talking about...  a Beatles 80s album or two.  So I started to slowly compile it just in case someone inquired about the possibility of one.  You are the first one!

So long story short, I've been working on it here and there ever since I did those Beatles albums.  At first I thought the task tedious, but as it turns out the bulk of it is either Double Fantasy or Tug Of War, which are not bad albums.  But the problem I'm having with it though is that there's more than enough good material for a single album, but not enough good material for a double album.  I've made two versions so far (a single LP and a double LP) and both don't seem quite right... 

So that's where that is.  Not sure if it'll ever be done, but it already has a cover and title, for what it's worth.   Grin

wow..cool.. that's neat.. you also have some other cool stuff too. I really liked  the unreleased who album and the frank zappa one as well... I don't know what other long lost albums there are but the idea is really cool... I wonder if Queen ever had an unreleased album? also a 90's beach boys album would be cool, the best of the andy pailey stuff and the other recordings from that time period from SIP and other cool stuff...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx