gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681296 Posts in 27631 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 02, 2024, 01:42:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's decline coinciding with Phil Spector's decline  (Read 6143 times)
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 02:49:34 PM »

1) Did Brian know about Spector's unreleased "gems"? Unknown. Until you get confirmation you're building your thesis on air.

2) If Brian had known, would he have found it noteworthy? Unlikely. Phil wasn't an artist, or really a songwriter, or even just a producer -- he had a record label, and it was common for labels to have unreleased tracks.

3) SMiLE was unfinished because it had grown too complex. Nothing to do with Spector's retirement, IMO.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:44 AM »

Brian didn't withdraw, he plowed on full steam, maybe even fuller steam, through 1968 and on through Friends. Also he didn't "retire", his public let him go by not desiring his best anymore. Everybody's time runs out in Pop and that's what happened to Brian. The bad stuff wasn't a cause of that, it was the result of that imo.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 08:06:09 PM »

Every time i look at the Back to Mono box and see the chronology, just going down the list of songs and looking at the years, i always note how it’s just straight through from 1960 to 1966, the year of Good Vibrations and it going #1 (a record Phil has disparaged), and then it jumps to 1969, the year Brian really went away. Hmm, i always wonder, did Phil feel defeated by the Ike and Tina stuff, which he thought was his best work, not doing as well as he’d hoped (yes, this is known) and feel bitter and resentful that instead an “edit record” by his protege of sorts went straight to #1? Could Brian's success and later disappearance have possibly played any part in Phil's retreating and then his comeback? I realize that sounds like insecure Brian Wilson fanatic talk, but i can’t help wonder. I mean, it had to have been weird for Phil to see this kid who looked up to him take his production style, use the same musicians and studios, and then climb to the top of the charts, reaching his peak just as Phil was "failing" for the first time in his career.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:34 PM »

I think it just took Phil a couple of years to get over the failure of River Deep... The guy had both a massive ego while also being incredibly insecure, that's a bad combo for dealing with failure. I think Phil bounced back well with the Checkmates Ltd stuff in '69.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »

The last four posts are all good thinking, boy we like to speculate.  If you research a bit, you'll find "not releasing" singles and stuff was very common for Phil in the early 60's too.  I was surprised to find that as great as Walking In The Rain is, it only reached #23 (Billboard) in summer '64.  clack and Cam Mott - Right On, I agree.  For some of us Friends is their Best long-player.  monicker and Mike's Beard, interesting time-line info.  He had plenty going on other than music too.  The Ronnie thing.  They adopted three kids beginning in 1966, and were married in '68.  Or as Ronnie put it, accepted her fate as a prisoner (her words).
Checkmates Ltd. -very good!  And as others have pointed out, Phil did a great job on Let It Be, and with George (Let it Down - the wall-of-sound lives) and John (his best solo releases to me) - save Rock-N-Roll.  That was a mess, but so was John by then.  And I'll add The Ramones - 1980, and he is still working it out...the guns were just a way of dealing with all the pressure, a by-product of greatness LOL
Brian, gentle Brian...he probably looked on aghast.  But still enjoyed the music.  Wonder if he liked that Ramones record.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 06:04:16 PM »

Does anyone know if Brian has ever commented (or even been asked) by any interviewer about his thoughts on Phil's arrest and subsequent conviction? I can't recall any myself.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »

Does anyone know if Brian has ever commented (or even been asked) by any interviewer about his thoughts on Phil's arrest and subsequent conviction? I can't recall any myself.

Nobody replied to this question of mine, so I thought I'd ask again to see if anyone knows...

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27:08 PM »

Not that I know of. I've always been curious myself.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 12:14:08 PM »

I think I remember at the time of the trial he was asked about it and said he didn't believe Spector to be guilty.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »

I'm not sure I think Spector is guilty. While the circumstantial evidence against Phil is overwhelming (considering his history with guns) the fact remains that the gunshot wound trajectory is much more likely to have been self inflicted and the lack of blood on Phil makes it highly improbable that he could have pulled the trigger at such a close range.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx