gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680997 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 14, 2024, 07:34:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love on Love & Mercy: ‘Poor Brian, He’s Had a Rough, Rough Time’  (Read 127976 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2015, 10:38:12 PM »

If this is what Mike says about Brian in public, imagine what he says -- and does -- in private.

And then think about who Al ended up changing his plans to perform with.

And then think about where Jeff and Brian E. are now.

This is going to get far worse before it gets better.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 10:56:10 PM »

For So long this has been going on. The fights are never going to go away. And everyone wants to pick sides. I really disliked Mike up until 5 years ago. Then I realized that it wasn't right for me to think that way because guess what, I don't know a damn thing about what went on. I don't know all the back stage machinations that thread throughout the Beach Boys story. I have just heard from both sides which are biased in their tellings. So many of my best friends wanted Mike gone. But I think that is wrong headed. I know alot of people who (when he was alive) thought Carl was a d**k and that Brian should have never had any further contact with him. And so it's been since I became a fan back in 1973. As I said elsewhere, the SMiLE crew around Brian was lauded for SO long that I am glad they are shown for who/what they truly are. So things change.

I do remember something I read by Don Was that has been repeated several times by others. He thought that Mike would be the most evil man in the world, but found him ok to deal with. And here is the part that so many others that have talked to Mike and the other Beach Boys have repeated. They were/are just tired of being referred to as Brian Wilson and the four assholes. I know I have heard that for far too long. Before you say well that's true, stop for a moment. That means Dennis is a no talent asshole. Carl is a no talent asshole. Mike is a no talent asshole. Jon Stebbins said it best. If you think Brian would have been as big as he was w/out the other guys, you are dreaming. Much as we would want to believe it, he needed them, just as they needed him.

Bob

But in this case, and many others, people aren't criticizing Mike for what went on.  They are criticizing him for what he says with his own mouth and then is published.

Regarding Don Was, it really isn't relevant.  Don is saying Mike was easy to work with professionally.  Who here is denying that?  

I don't understand why some people are so afraid to criticize something that Mike, or any other person, said and allowed to be published for public consumption.  The world is an ugly place, Mike says and does some ugly things.  Why should anyone pretend otherwise in either case?  I am unable to pretend just to keep alive an unrealistic view of my favorite band.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:58:32 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »

I do remember something I read by Don Was that has been repeated several times by others. He thought that Mike would be the most evil man in the world, but found him ok to deal with. And here is the part that so many others that have talked to Mike and the other Beach Boys have repeated. They were/are just tired of being referred to as Brian Wilson and the four assholes. I know I have heard that for far too long. Before you say well that's true, stop for a moment. That means Dennis is a no talent asshole. Carl is a no talent asshole. Mike is a no talent asshole. Jon Stebbins said it best. If you think Brian would have been as big as he was w/out the other guys, you are dreaming. Much as we would want to believe it, he needed them, just as they needed him.

Bob

I agree. If anyone wants to hear what Brian's work might have been like 'without the four assholes', just listen to his outside productions from the 1960s. It's very good music but it lacks the outstanding charisma of his work with the BB, save for I Guess I'm Dumb.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:06:39 PM by phirnis » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 11:05:49 PM »

It is obvious Mike hates Brian (and has been hating him for quite some time). Anyone who actually believes ML is sincere with his "my cousin Brian is a genius"-talk must be a flat earther.

Beg your pardon, but the making of such sweeping and idiotic statements is my job, thanks very much.  Grin

Opinions on the article Andrew?

No point, for reasons which are both obvious and not.

Also, if you have Mike's ear at all (or his wife's), please tell him to rethink whatever it is he's doing lately. Starting with C50, it is so obvious to me that the man could have rehabilitated his image among Beach Boys fans and the world at large if he just used a little tact. If he had stuck with The Beach Boys in 2012 instead of breaking up the group, and even if he didn't, just being a bit more magnanimous in the time since, I think he would gain something closer to what he feels his place in history should be. Instead he seems to be giving Gene Landy the benefit of the doubt and basically trashing everything Brian or his team have done. It seems like you're a reasonable guy Andrew, and it seems like you have had some chances to speak with Mike. Why is he proceeding this way? Does he really think this is gonna get him what he wants? Or is he just sick and tired of the way history is being written?

Like most people, I'm reasonable right up to the point where people around me start acting in an irrational manner. For the record, yes, I'm in contact with Mike & his wife (and other band members: not news) but I certainly don't "have his ear". They might ask my opinion on certain things, as happened over lunch in London recently, but as for acting on them... no-one's that stupid.  Grin

Like all the other principals - Brian, Alan, Bruce - Mike is well aware of what we say here (recent events and the article in question prove this, as if we didn't know) and what's said on other forums: they don't need the likes of me telling them. Is he sick and tired of being portrayed as "that asshole Mike Love" (his own description to me) ?  Wouldn't you be, when it's by people who, essentially, know nothing except what they see and read in the media (and sometimes less than that) ?  Does most of what folk post here amuse him ? Hell yes. Or should I say, "probably" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howard Beale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »

For every article and thread of this nature, there is a board historian post like above to match, some insulting, some apologetic, but all of them essentially repeats of similar comments made previously, just like the article in question. Mike Love has always made disparaging comments publicly about Brian:

If this is what Mike says about Brian in public, imagine what he says -- and does -- in private.
And then think about who Al ended up changing his plans to perform with.
And then think about where Jeff and Brian E. are now.
This is going to get far worse before it gets better.

and you have hit the nail on the head with this post. Why, if Mike Love is sick of being portrayed as "that asshole Mike Love" (his own description to AGD) does he side with the Landy's directly after the release of a movie centred around the misery Landy caused?
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 10, 2015, 11:21:04 PM »

Bob

If anyone wants to hear what Brian's work might have been like 'without the four assholes', just listen to his outside productions from the 1960s. It's very good music but it lacks the outstanding charisma of his work with the BB, save for I Guess I'm Dumb.

I love what the other four guys brought to the overall sound of The Beach Boys, and I've heard this argument repeated over and over again, but you have to know this is a ridiculous way to look at what Brian could have done without the other guys.  He clearly saved his best stuff for The Beach Boys, both by his own choice and by the insistence of Murray and the rest of the band.  I don't see any reason Brian could not have had wild success without the guys.  It wouldn't have been exactly the same, the precise magic would not have been there.  But there is no reason to think he couldn't have created other magic with different voices and collaborators IF HE WAS SAVING HIS BEST STUFF FOR THEM.  It's a question we can never answer for sure, perhaps there was some mystical reason he could only make great records with The Beach Boys, but to pretend the seemingly half-hearted attempts made by a guy with the weight of his family on his shoulders and being ridden by Murray to keep the good stuff in house is proof he couldn't have done it under different circumstances is not reasonable.  Maybe he could have been another Phil Spector, or maybe not...he wasn't given the chance and had constant pressure not to even try.  We will never know for sure, but reason seems to side with the guy having a lot of musical talent.   Why couldn't it have been channeled differently, under different circumstances?

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »

Oh, look...a Beach Boy said something that rustled jimmies in the fan base. /sarcasm

I can't wrap my head around this interview. Either the interviewer caught Michael on a VERY bad day...or I dare not even imagine another possibility.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 10, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »

Where in the world did you come up with the slanderous notion that Melinda is giving Brian any drugs at all, much less controlling him via drugs?  Where does this non-sense originate?

EoL

EoL, I think he was referring to how he felt *Mike* looked at it, not how he actually did.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2015, 11:39:38 PM »

Like all the other principals - Brian, Alan, Bruce - Mike is well aware of what we say here (recent events and the article in question prove this, as if we didn't know) and what's said on other forums: they don't need the likes of me telling them. Is he sick and tired of being portrayed as "that asshole Mike Love" (his own description to me) ?  Wouldn't you be, when it's by people who, essentially, know nothing except what they see and read in the media (and sometimes less than that) ?  Does most of what folk post here amuse him ? Hell yes. Or should I say, "probably" ?

Yeah, I'd be bummed that some people thought I was an jerk-off. But then I'd realize I was one of the two (arguably) most important members of one of most revered groups in the past century. And if some guy named on some online forum named "SMiLEBrian" or "ontor pertwast" or "sweetdudejim" is really hurting my feelings that much, well perhaps I should go to therapy and try to work these issues out. And no, I'm not being facetious. He's Mike fuckin' Love. If he doesn't wanna perceived as an asshole, here's some pointers...

First, how about not mentioning that Cousin Brian did drugs all the time? And maybe showing a bit more compassion to his emotional issues? And how about not saying passive aggressive stuff about how he'd suuuuure love Brian and Al's new song as long as there's "no autotune"? Anybody who knows anything about the current day Brian, Al and Mike know that this is petty mudslinging bullshit. Also, even bringing up Evan Landy (like his point-of-view matters) is very, very disconcerting. Or even the question about his favorite movies. How about we lay off the self promotion for two minutes Mike? Could ya do that pal?

And while we're at it, I'm kinda getting sick of him claiming he's gonna put any music out. It seems like he's full of sh*t. He's had over two decades since Summer In Paradise, but I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand any orginal Mike Love songs that have been released since then. He should either sh*t or get off the pot. And this is coming from somebody who would happily buy the CD (or download) if Mike finally released something new! It seems as though he's scared of being embarrassed by the likely poor showing of whatever he puts out.

And lastly, I know it's gotten kinda overlooked because of all the other vomit that came from that interview, but is Mike seriously considering "re-records of songs"? What does he mean by this? Are we indeed getting that cover of "Be True to Your School" with the DX7 keyboards like I was hoping for? I'm hoping he maybe just means re-recording some of the best of his unreleased stuff to make a coherent album, and not THE BEACH BOYS' Mike Love & Bruce Johnston Present Summertime Surfin' Classics: A Hobby Lobby Exclusive.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 11:41:56 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2015, 11:51:56 PM »

I've read the interview about ten times now and still can't quite wrap my head around it. You can't blame Mike for not putting much stock in a movie in which one of his character's biggest scenes is based on something that didn't happen (him being against Good Vibrations) so from a personal POV he's hardly going to go out of his way to praise it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:12 PM »

It doesn't really show him against "Good Vibrations" tho, whoever told him that is clearly wrong. It shows him helping Brian at the piano with the song in a quite nice little moment, actually. That if he wasn't such a weirdo, he'd have seen and appreciated. Oh, I guess he means his character's outburst about the strings doing their staccato thing for hours? A scene meant to show BW's perfectionism in his pursuit of what he wanted more than just paint Mike Love as an asshole? It showed Dennis Wilson bored and plunking away at a piano before being shushed, does that means Dennis was against it too?

One line of frustration in the studio does not equal him being "against Good Vibrations."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:34 PM »

I'm waiting for someone to mock up a "Movie Poster" for the film adaptation of Mike's book.  3D

There is one for his new book:

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2015, 11:56:47 PM »

Basing this opine on recent (numerous) interviews - my God, that autobiography is going to be a train wreck. Anyone in the scholarly Beach Boy journo-go-round who acquiesces to write a preface, should recall the old adage; if you lie down with dogs, you wake up with fleas.

Interviews such as this one reflects badly upon the poor working class strummers he's got touring with his bar band. I mean, yeah I get it...you gotta eat, I know. But are you aware of the brand? Are you aware of just what you're propping up? Night after night? County fair after county fair?

The Beach Boys are dead. Long live the Beach Boys.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »

It doesn't really show him against "Good Vibrations" tho, whoever told him that is clearly wrong. It shows him helping Brian at the piano with the song in a quite nice little moment, actually. That if he wasn't such a weirdo, he'd have seen and appreciated. Oh, I guess he means his character's outburst about the strings doing their staccato thing for hours? A scene meant to show BW's perfectionism in his pursuit of what he wanted more than just paint Mike Love as an asshole? It showed Dennis Wilson bored and plunking away at a piano before being shushed, does that means Dennis was against it too?

One line of frustration in the studio does not equal him being "against Good Vibrations."

Mike's only repeating what he's been told by others. I can't comment on the scene because us guys here in the UK still can't see the film.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2015, 12:27:20 AM »

Where in the world did you come up with the slanderous notion that Melinda is giving Brian any drugs at all, much less controlling him via drugs?  Where does this non-sense originate?

EoL

EoL, I think he was referring to how he felt *Mike* looked at it, not how he actually did.

You might be right, thanks for clarifying Billy.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

Yeah, I'd be bummed that some people thought I was an jerk-off. But then I'd realize I was one of the two (arguably) most important members of one of most revered groups in the past century. And if some guy named on some online forum named "SMiLEBrian" or "ontor pertwast" or "sweetdudejim" is really hurting my feelings that much, well perhaps I should go to therapy and try to work these issues out. And no, I'm not being facetious. He's Mike fuckin' Love. If he doesn't wanna perceived as an asshole, here's some pointers...

First, how about not mentioning that Cousin Brian did drugs all the time? And maybe showing a bit more compassion to his emotional issues? And how about not saying passive aggressive stuff about how he'd suuuuure love Brian and Al's new song as long as there's "no autotune"? Anybody who knows anything about the current day Brian, Al and Mike know that this is petty mudslinging bullshit. Also, even bringing up Evan Landy (like his point-of-view matters) is very, very disconcerting. Or even the question about his favorite movies. How about we lay off the self promotion for two minutes Mike? Could ya do that pal?

And while we're at it, I'm kinda getting sick of him claiming he's gonna put any music out. It seems like he's full of sh*t. He's had over two decades since Summer In Paradise, but I'm pretty sure I could count on one hand any orginal Mike Love songs that have been released since then. He should either sh*t or get off the pot. And this is coming from somebody who would happily buy the CD (or download) if Mike finally released something new! It seems as though he's scared of being embarrassed by the likely poor showing of whatever he puts out.

And lastly, I know it's gotten kinda overlooked because of all the other vomit that came from that interview, but is Mike seriously considering "re-records of songs"? What does he mean by this? Are we indeed getting that cover of "Be True to Your School" with the DX7 keyboards like I was hoping for? I'm hoping he maybe just means re-recording some of the best of his unreleased stuff to make a coherent album, and not THE BEACH BOYS' Mike Love & Bruce Johnston Present Summertime Surfin' Classics: A Hobby Lobby Exclusive.

These guys are old, and it will be tragically sad if defending Landy and downplaying mental illness is how Mike chooses ultimately to ride out both his own career, as well as his relationship with Brian. What would Carl think of his cousin now Sad

Sure, Mike said some questionable things in interviews during Carl's lifetime, but I do not see a Mike-defending-the-Landys interview happening in 2015, concurrent with L&M's release, if Carl were alive. What could possibly be motivating the Landy defense with verbage like "probably", other than intentionally wanting flak?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:42:45 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »

Nice post, brother.  Afro
halblaineisgood
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2015, 12:50:43 AM »

* delete upon correction.
that was meant to be a private message. I don't need my ego-stroking made public!!  police
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:51:44 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2015, 01:33:59 AM »

I definitely agree with those who've said that it's sad to see Mike Love consistently throwing away any goodwill he builds up. In the past I've been very anti-Mike because of things I've read about him, but in the last few years I've mellowed towards him. Heck, I even own a copy of Looking Back With Love. I was excited to meet him at the Manchester VIP event and have a photo of him pointing at my Mike Love Not War t-shirt that is my profile pic on Facebook and Twitter. I loved the show and was impressed with his efforts to appeal to all elements of the audience, playing stuff that he himself probably isn't keen on.

HOWEVER, this interview is bullshit and plans for re-recording some Beach Boys songs with special guests is even more bullshit. Why not make something new Mike? Why not finally release another new solo album? You'd have Bruce and David to appear on it and some talented musicians to collaborate with. Why not reach out and get Brian and Al to appear on it? Why not use your legacy as founder and co-writer of the Beach Boys greatest hits to bring in the kind of young musicians who would write with you and make something that is exactly what you would want it to be, but, you know, GOOD?

After C50 and with Love & Mercy out there and on the back of a really well-received UK tour, there's so much more Mike could be doing than coasting on his legacy and sniping at Brian again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2015, 01:42:48 AM »

I definitely agree with those who've said that it's sad to see Mike Love consistently throwing away any goodwill he builds up. In the past I've been very anti-Mike because of things I've read about him, but in the last few years I've mellowed towards him. Heck, I even own a copy of Looking Back With Love. I was excited to meet him at the Manchester VIP event and have a photo of him pointing at my Mike Love Not War t-shirt that is my profile pic on Facebook and Twitter. I loved the show and was impressed with his efforts to appeal to all elements of the audience, playing stuff that he himself probably isn't keen on.

HOWEVER, this interview is bullshit and plans for re-recording some Beach Boys songs with special guests is even more bullshit. Why not make something new Mike? Why not finally release another new solo album? You'd have Bruce and David to appear on it and some talented musicians to collaborate with. Why not reach out and get Brian and Al to appear on it? Why not use your legacy as founder and co-writer of the Beach Boys greatest hits to bring in the kind of young musicians who would write with you and make something that is exactly what you would want it to be, but, you know, GOOD?

After C50 and with Love & Mercy out there and on the back of a really well-received UK tour, there's so much more Mike could be doing than coasting on his legacy and sniping at Brian again.

Very well said.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2015, 02:33:36 AM »

Bob

If anyone wants to hear what Brian's work might have been like 'without the four assholes', just listen to his outside productions from the 1960s. It's very good music but it lacks the outstanding charisma of his work with the BB, save for I Guess I'm Dumb.

I love what the other four guys brought to the overall sound of The Beach Boys, and I've heard this argument repeated over and over again, but you have to know this is a ridiculous way to look at what Brian could have done without the other guys.  He clearly saved his best stuff for The Beach Boys, both by his own choice and by the insistence of Murray and the rest of the band.  I don't see any reason Brian could not have had wild success without the guys.  It wouldn't have been exactly the same, the precise magic would not have been there.  But there is no reason to think he couldn't have created other magic with different voices and collaborators IF HE WAS SAVING HIS BEST STUFF FOR THEM.  It's a question we can never answer for sure, perhaps there was some mystical reason he could only make great records with The Beach Boys, but to pretend the seemingly half-hearted attempts made by a guy with the weight of his family on his shoulders and being ridden by Murray to keep the good stuff in house is proof he couldn't have done it under different circumstances is not reasonable.  Maybe he could have been another Phil Spector, or maybe not...he wasn't given the chance and had constant pressure not to even try.  We will never know for sure, but reason seems to side with the guy having a lot of musical talent.   Why couldn't it have been channeled differently, under different circumstances?

Good points, that was probably a bit over the top. Anyway, as you said, "the precise magic would not have been there". I totally agree with that. A good example I think is Surf City (not a BW production as far as I know but still a song he wrote). Maybe Brian could have had more #1 hits such as Surf City outside the group if he hadn't saved his best stuff for the BB but even Surf City (as a BW song not performed by the BB/in the BB context) is a song I find only about half as interesting as Catch a Wave or Surfin' USA. Then again, songs like Caroline No or Busy Doin' Nothin' do have "the magic", so who knows.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:34 AM »

Amy, Mike being a TM advocate might also be an advocate of naturopathic medicine, which would make any type of mainstream  medical treatment anathema to him.

I think this might be an important point.  He might have extremely strong opinions about it.  A different organisation, sure, but I vaguely recall seeing Tom Cruise banging on about psychiatry and/or use of pharmaceuticals to address psychological issues and he was right het up.  Mike might feel similarly, but coming from a TM angle.  It could be a strong factor behind all his quotes about his brothers' use of drugs over the years.  But unless he fully expounds on that, we're not really going to know.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2015, 04:05:48 AM »

In the end, history repeats itself:

1. Mike gives an interview. Gets asked about Brian. Responds with typical answers.

2. Gets destroyed over here because how dare him.

3. Repeat x 48484994 times

It is endless, and everybody's point is well know by now. Ten days ago he was destroyed over here by some people for including deep catalogue songs in the setlist (and at least one song suggestion made right here at Smileysmile). So basically, he could donate his entire fortune to the poor and be backslashed for it, nevermind mentioning Brian's drug-taking in an interview.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2015, 04:10:23 AM »

EXACTLY. Does Mike ever wonder why a minority of public perception of him is that he's an asshole? Does he think that some people woke up and randomly tried to find a villain in this band? Laughably, some here have accused those who dislike Mike of this very thing. Here's a thought: instead of reading the Smiley Smile board every morning during breakfast, Mike should go back and read his interviews from the past 3 years. He should really look at some of his answers and ask himself "Was this really the best way to answer this question?"

I became more neutral for a while once I realized that yeah I wasn't there during Pet Sounds or Smile so why would I be irritated at Mike? Hell, I even defended "the room". But then interview after interview came out where Mike was bashing the life suite, or he appeared to talk down about Brian's current prescription drug use, or there are constant reminders of Brian's past drug use when he isn't even prompted or asked about it, and most recently, as Sweetdudejim points out: the passive aggressive "autotune" crap that was ridiculously unnecessary, and now this Landy "probably" overstepped his bounds nonsense. Also he passive-aggressively went after Joe Thomas by pointlessly remarking about his fear of flying. And there was the interview a month or two ago where he took a swipe at Brian's current singing voice.

Is it any wonder that Brian doesn't want to work with Mike alone in a room? Is really any wonder why there is a growing perception of Mike being an asshole? Does most of what folk post here amuse him? Hell yes? If he's actually concerned about his public perception he really shouldn't be amused at all.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2015, 04:23:37 AM »

It is endless, and everybody's point is well know by now. Ten days ago he was destroyed over here by some people for including deep catalogue songs in the setlist (and at least one song suggestion made right here at Smileysmile). So basically, he could donate his entire fortune to the poor and be backslashed for it, nevermind mentioning Brian's drug-taking in an interview.

It is endless because Mike makes it endless. Imagine if Brian said this stuff...."Brian, have you seen Mike since the end of the tour?" "No, he is controlled and on prescription drugs." "Brian, have you heard Mike's most recent single?" "No, but if there's no autotune on it I'm sure it'll be great."

And we're supposed to be the bad guys for being irritated by these type of remarks? Mike could donate his entire fortune to the poor and if he continued to say stuff like this in interviews I'd still be flabbergasted and irritated by him.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx