gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 09:33:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian UK tour postponed?  (Read 27732 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »

I stand by the remark. The reason for a Brian Wilson concert was for him to play stuff that was uncommonly or never played by the Beach Boys in concert as well as his own stuff. He did Pet Sounds in full. He did Smile. I'd like to see Brian keep trying new things in concert, not another round of Pet Sounds - 50th anniversary or no 50th anniversary.

That's odd, I don't recall there ever being a reason given for a Brian Wilson concert other than for fans to see and hear Brian play his songs live with his terrific band. It's been that way since 1999 when I first saw him.

As far as a Pet Sounds live show in 2016, I'd like to know who else would be better qualified to perform the album live as a 50th anniversary commemoration than the man most responsible for that album and a band who has the original arrangements down as well as I could imagine a live band pulling them off. I'm sure there are many fans who may have missed the original Pet Sounds Live dates and subsequent performances (like the impromptu performance a few years ago), and who would enjoy seeing Brian onstage presenting the music again live.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »

I stand by the remark. The reason for a Brian Wilson concert was for him to play stuff that was uncommonly or never played by the Beach Boys in concert as well as his own stuff.

Nothing to do with earning some bucks, or promoting the brand, or the latest/upcoming release ? Why was I charged for my seat, then ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »

Like... this ? All venues listed were available on these dates when I googled them evening of the 8th:

18 - Theater Royal Nottingham [1186]
19 - Motorpoint Cardiff [5000]
20 - Manchester O2 Apollo [3500]
21 - RFH [2750]
22 - RFH [2750]
23 - Leeds Grand Theatre [1550]
25 - Glasgow Clyde Auditorium [3000]
26 - Liverpool Empire [2348]
27 - Birmingham Symphony [2262]

That right there is a perfect Brian Wilson tour.

Nah, you missed The Sage in Gateshead.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2015, 11:38:55 PM »

Re: the Pet Sounds tour, in general classic-rock culture's obsession with anniversaries strikes me as a bit unhealthy. I'm sure the tour itself will be good, in terms of the overall performance, but it'd be more interesting if he did a '67-'73 tour with Alan and Blondie I think. Or finally bring on that Love You tour!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2015, 11:45:54 PM »

StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2015, 03:21:42 AM »

Very disappointed about Bri cancelling the UK tour, had tickets for my birthday too. Will hopefully see him next year though Smiley
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2015, 06:15:55 AM »

Well, that's my birthday plans screwed.

Nevermind though. Disappointing but its going to take more than a tour cancellation/postponement to damage my goodwill towards Brian Wilson.

I wonder what else is on in September?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2015, 06:49:54 AM »

Wasn't there some BW Australian tour a few years back that had be cancelled too?

Cancelled BW tours:

There's a few odd dates also cancelled down the years but no full Australian tour.

Some credit to Billy H and Jeff F on this one. I remember prior to the PS tour of Australia that a story went round that this was going to be canned. Billy was a sometimes poster on the brit site so I asked if he could check with Jeff for us. Within hours Jeff posted a message that the tour was definitely a go, and a go it did.

For the UK fans this time though I suspect Brians plans for September involve little more than what we have just read in the RS story. Walking, family and food.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:57:38 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »

If Brian plans to spend time retiring why make it seem he is going to play next year (which I'm not doubting)?  He could play the shows in September and not play anything next year, and be in 'retirement'.

It would be good to say 'farewell and thank you' to Brian for all of the music.  Hopefully my last 2012 show won't be the last time I will have seen Brian live.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2015, 09:13:32 AM »

Well, that's my birthday plans screwed.

Nevermind though. Disappointing but its going to take more than a tour cancellation/postponement to damage my goodwill towards Brian Wilson.

I wonder what else is on in September?

Total lunar eclipse, September 28.

Tickets from Ticketmaster. Probably.

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »

If Brian plans to spend time retiring why make it seem he is going to play next year (which I'm not doubting)?  He could play the shows in September and not play anything next year, and be in 'retirement'.

It would be good to say 'farewell and thank you' to Brian for all of the music.  Hopefully my last 2012 show won't be the last time I will have seen Brian live.

Seems obvious they're cancelling because of poor ticket sales and the point of next year's last European tour is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds as a 'farewell [at least to Europe] tour'  which will presumably bring in a lot of money. Of course he may continue to do occasional shows in America. And who knows, possibly there will be a comeback tour. Wouldn't be the first time that happened although I don't think Brian is the cynical type who would plan to do this and as he will be 74 next year, completely understandable that he feels ready to retire.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »

Tickets are still on sale on Ticketmaster!  I had ordered from here and Ticketweb.  Still not heard about a refund from either.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Given reports from recent shows, we should hope that BW doesn't retire anytime soon.

He's certainly slowed down already, which is understandable. But there's no reason he shouldn't keep recording and playing shows.

Notice, too, that the PR says final European tour. Not his final UK tour. Or his final Scottish tour. Or his final European shows.

Lots of ways to get around that, which I entirely expect that he will.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:36:23 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2015, 11:47:41 AM »

Notice, also, that the statement doesn't say he'll be playing Pet Sounds, rather that the tour will be celebrating same.

Two can play at being silly buggers.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howard Beale
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »

A post by the LEGENDARY board historian over at BBB

1 - exactly what Brian's "commitments" September 18th-27th are. Newly scheduled concerts not admissible. Let's be honest, the movie will be history at the box office by then.

2 - which genius decided Brian could sell over 107,000 tickets in the UK in ten days, and which comparable genius looked at the venues proposed and said "sure, looks fine to me".

3 - who had the bright idea that Brian needs support, and then booked a one-hit wonder and an ageing US band that last had a UK hit in the mid seventies.

4 - most importantly, who in Brian's organisation thought we'd be dumb enough to buy the reasons given for the cancellation. That's hugely insulting to all the UK fans and we deserve an apology, and the truth: that the tickets simply were hardly selling at all. I've heard some semi-official sales figures for a couple of venues and frankly my hair stood on end. That bad. 2000 tickets sold at the RFH is a 75% full house... the same at a 21,000 capacity venue is beyond embarrassing and closing on humiliating.

Will I get any answers ? Not a chance in hell.

Will I probably get banned from The Bloo before too long ? Once, I would have said "of course", but even there, the natives are revolting. Brian's management made a major, major error in green-lighting this tour in those venues, and have compounded that by offering us a transparently untrue, deeply insulting explanation for the cancellation. If we're wrong, let us know: prove us wrong. I dare you.

Funny that you've hidden this post in the scummy depths of the Pee-Board, where the "natives" would never think to question you, but you're still allowed the satisfaction of smugly thinking to yourself that you've made a ballsy post questioning the actions of Brian's camp.

Here's the thing, and no matter how many times he posts it, anyone on this board with the slightest amount of intelligence can pick up on it: the LEGENDARY BOARD HISTORIAN is biased beyond belief, balls deep in Mike Love's camp. Fact: the actions over the years of that man are beyond stupid, and there are things that the LEGENDARY BOARD HISTORIAN knows about that the rest of this board does not - which is for the better considering the indefensible nature of the things he has done over the years.

Read that post, think about the posts he has made about Brian, and then think about the posts he (has not) made about Mike, and make up your own mind - who does this guy really stand for, and WHY?

If I'm wrong, let me know: prove me wrong. I dare you.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »

so very interesting.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:43 AM »

Disappointing for sure, but Brian's 73 years old. Sooner or later the man deserves to relax.

Totally agree. However, better luck next year via the tour.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:53:58 AM by Cool Cool Water » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2015/06/26/bad-vibrations-brian-wilson-cancels-uk-tour-citing-success-of-movie-but-love-mercy-is-a-flop

Roger Friedman, former Fox News film columnist, contends above that L&M has flopped and Brian's people are unjustified in canceling UK dates because of the reception it got here. But he misses the point.  L&M's boxoffice may be winding down in the US - one-third the theaters that had it in my area two weeks ago are running it now - but it's created thousands upon thousands of BW/BBs fans who are ready to see him play this fall.

But then again...slow ticket sales or not, maybe it would have made more sense to see how L&M does in the UK next month before postponing the British dates.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »

I fail to see how rave reviews and respectable numbers for a niche market film are "failure" ----Fox, eh Huh   MMmm.  Postponing the  postponement  would only have made things much worse (although I am not at all sure that is possible --what a mess).  I have avoided as much as I can, the previews since I am in UK and want to view this in full. 
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »

1 - exactly what Brian's "commitments" September 18th-27th are. Newly scheduled concerts not admissible. Let's be honest, the movie will be history at the box office by then.

2 - which genius decided Brian could sell over 107,000 tickets in the UK in ten days, and which comparable genius looked at the venues proposed and said "sure, looks fine to me".

3 - who had the bright idea that Brian needs support, and then booked a one-hit wonder and an ageing US band that last had a UK hit in the mid seventies.

4 - most importantly, who in Brian's organisation thought we'd be dumb enough to buy the reasons given for the cancellation. That's hugely insulting to all the UK fans and we deserve an apology, and the truth: that the tickets simply were hardly selling at all. I've heard some semi-official sales figures for a couple of venues and frankly my hair stood on end. That bad. 2000 tickets sold at the RFH is a 75% full house... the same at a 21,000 capacity venue is beyond embarrassing and closing on humiliating.

Will I probably get banned from The Bloo before too long ? Once, I would have said "of course", but even there, the natives are revolting. Brian's management made a major, major error in green-lighting this tour in those venues, and have compounded that by offering us a transparently untrue, deeply insulting explanation for the cancellation. If we're wrong, let us know: prove us wrong. I dare you.

Funny that you've hidden this post in the scummy depths of the Pee-Board, where the "natives" would never think to question you, but you're still allowed the satisfaction of smugly thinking to yourself that you've made a ballsy post questioning the actions of Brian's camp.

Here's the thing, and no matter how many times he posts it, anyone on this board with the slightest amount of intelligence can pick up on it: the LEGENDARY BOARD HISTORIAN is biased beyond belief, balls deep in Mike Love's camp. Fact: the actions over the years of that man are beyond stupid, and there are things that the LEGENDARY BOARD HISTORIAN knows about that the rest of this board does not - which is for the better considering the indefensible nature of the things he has done over the years.

Read that post, think about the posts he has made about Brian, and then think about the posts he (has not) made about Mike, and make up your own mind - who does this guy really stand for, and WHY?

I don't know about being wrong but AGD (I assume that's who you are referring to Wink) makes valid points.  I love Brian to bits but the whole tour was handled badly.  When I bought my tickets I was never confident the show would actually go ahead.  Major boo boo which need not have happened and should not have happened.  What about the wonderful band members in all of this too. They've also lost out as well (unless the extra dates happen in the States).
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

Pirate High Five Rock! Love Happy Dance Bow w00t! Thumbs Up Hug Drinking Buddies Brow-in other words, effing fantastic post!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »

Dare accepted.
Quoted from a thread created by the LEGENDARY BOARD HISTORIAN a few days ago.

My family excepted, two men have hugely affected my life since 1975.

One is my collaborator, mentor and dearest friend, the legendary John Tobler, who took a raw fanzine contributor under his wing and shaped him into something vaguely resembling a real writer.

The other one is 73 today. Can you imagine a world without Brian Wilson, without Beach Boys music ? I choose not to. What a gray and cheerless place that would be.

Does music get any better than this ?

Behind The Sounds: Wouldn't It Be Nice

No sir, it does not... and he was only 23.

Happy birthday, Brian. Thanks for the music.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:56:22 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2015, 01:01:47 PM »

Wasn't there some BW Australian tour a few years back that had be cancelled too?

Cancelled BW tours:

2/19/99-3/7/99: First US tour (more rehearsal time needed)

That one wasn't cancelled -- some of the dates actually happened. (And there are "Dutch import" CDs to prove it.) I believe the first shows were in Michigan and outside of Chicago. The publicized reason for the postponement was that Melinda's sister was gravely ill.

One of the "few odd dates" that was cancelled included a show at the newly-opened New Jersey Performing Arts Center in Newark. It was a mini-tour that was extremely hastily thrown together in 2003, I believe piggy-backed on to Brian receiving his honorary doctorate in Massachusetts. I think the shows were in Boston, Newark, and the Beacon Theater in NYC. There was almost **zero** promotion for these shows, and the only reason anybody knew about them was because someone happened to hear an oldies radio DJ mention it.

Anyway, I knew someone who actually worked at NJPAC. That was the show from that mini-tour that was cancelled. I don't remember if there was a reason given, but I was told that Brian's "management" said that they needed to cancel one of the shows. The NJPAC show, according to my acquaintance who worked there, was nearly sold out, but they cancelled that one because it would look better on paper to cancel a New Jersey show than to cancel a New York City show.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
darling
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »

Notice, also, that the statement doesn't say he'll be playing Pet Sounds, rather that the tour will be celebrating same.

For what it's worth, the 2006 shows were promoted as:
"Legendary Beach Boy founder/composer/producer BRIAN WILSON, with the 40th Anniversary Tour of the landmark album PET SOUNDS, presented by him in its entirety for the last time ever!"
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2015, 02:31:44 PM »

I think we're all getting a bit silly here. AGD makes valid points and in no way attacks Brian but just the way the whole thing has been handled. An outsider with absolutely no interest in Brian can see that the venues were way too big and there just aren't enough fans willing to fill out places like the O2. I've been there and it's a massive venue, one that I never thought Brian would play.

It isn't just AGD who feels disappointed by the way this has been handled - the less than clear announcement, the ambitious venues, the vague promise of shows next year - even the most loyal Brian fans feel let down. Some of us are just a bit more honest or vocal than others. Personal attacks are not needed on here, it's a place to discuss the music and history of our favourite band and I for one hate reading posts that just descend into conversations like this.

Brian has a lot of respect from everyone on here (the same can't be said for Mike) so there's no need for anyone to get worked up about opinions.

As Brian himself says - Love & Mercy x
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx