gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 08:23:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Am Brian Wilson: New Autobiography  (Read 73916 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 30, 2015, 12:00:34 PM »

The Beach Boys (2012 iteration) were the perfect example of synergy: the whole was significantly more than the sum of the parts. There's an irrefutable* alchemy at work there.

[* to those with an open mind, that is]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
KDS
« Reply #201 on: July 30, 2015, 12:01:20 PM »

For um, fans of the band who might want to see them one last time while they can?

If those fans defended Mike's decision back in 2012 they should have thought of this at the time.

You can of course still see them one last time - just not together. Mike and Bruce fans get to see Mike and Bruce, Brian fans get to see Brian, those who are like both bands get to see both. And we see the music presented differently. What does it matter if they are not on the same stage? It DOES matter, however, for those who like the way Brian presents the music better than the way the Beach Boys present it.

What if a fan just likes the way that THE BEACH BOYS (Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie, Dave) sound together? What should they do? Some of us just want to see them together because the way they sound together sounds awesome.

Has that particular line up ever played live?  I think the Beach Boys USED to sound awesome but that was when Dennis and Carl were alive and still part of it. There were times when I heard the Beach Boys and they were quite embarrassing. I think now, without the support of younger members, the quality of the vocals would be reduced.

Good job being pedantic. No, a lineup featuring Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie and David has never performed together. But Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce and Dave did, less than three years ago, and it was awesome. And Brian, Al and Blondie have been together recently and they sounded awesome too.

Trust me, I'm a huge Brian Wilson fan. And though we don't know the whole story, it definitely seems as though Mike Love himself was the reason the C50 ended. Whether he had good reasons or not is debatable. As of now, it seems to me like he likes being the center of attention, the star of the show, doing things the way he wants them done. Which in my opinion is lame. Because I wanted The Beach Boys to become an ongoing concern again, a current recording act. But alas, it didn't happen. And what did happen was No Pier Pressure, up there with Brian's debut as my favorite album of his. We also got Blondie Chaplin back in The Beach Boys orbit, which is a very, very good thing in my opinion. Maybe not yours though, since he was Beach Boy, and we know according to you that all Beach Boys besides Brian are bad news.

But regardless, when Brian, Mike, Al and whoever else get on the stage or even just on a Capitol rooftop together, you can feel the power of the group. You choose to worship Brian at the expense at the rest of the group. I personally love Brian and he's by far my favorite member. But I also realize that his band (The Beach Boys that is) was not worthless and that those guys are pretty awesome in their own right.

I agree that the C50 show I saw was great.   And I'm a big fan of the TWGMTR album.  But, I think that Brian and Mike are just on completely different wavelengths as artists.  

While Mike wants to be the entertainer and play the classics over 150 times a year, Brian prefers to be creative and play less shows.  

Al, Blondie, and David are kinda caught in the middle.  

But, I honestly think that, if Brian really wanted to be a Beach Boy again, it would happen.  But, he seems happier with the current arrangement.  He put out a really good album this year, and just wrapped up a great tour.  

Personally, I think one of the saddest things about the reunion lineup ending is that the TWGMTR album is likely going to be lost in time.  With a couple of exceptions, neither camp does songs from it anymore.  As I was listening to Strange World and From There to Back Again again the other day, it struck me that arguably the best Beach Boys music since Holland will never be heard live.  
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 30, 2015, 12:22:51 PM »

For um, fans of the band who might want to see them one last time while they can?

If those fans defended Mike's decision back in 2012 they should have thought of this at the time.

You can of course still see them one last time - just not together. Mike and Bruce fans get to see Mike and Bruce, Brian fans get to see Brian, those who are like both bands get to see both. And we see the music presented differently. What does it matter if they are not on the same stage? It DOES matter, however, for those who like the way Brian presents the music better than the way the Beach Boys present it.

What if a fan just likes the way that THE BEACH BOYS (Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie, Dave) sound together? What should they do? Some of us just want to see them together because the way they sound together sounds awesome.

Has that particular line up ever played live?  I think the Beach Boys USED to sound awesome but that was when Dennis and Carl were alive and still part of it. There were times when I heard the Beach Boys and they were quite embarrassing. I think now, without the support of younger members, the quality of the vocals would be reduced.

Good job being pedantic. No, a lineup featuring Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce, Blondie and David has never performed together. But Brian, Al, Mike, Bruce and Dave did, less than three years ago, and it was awesome. And Brian, Al and Blondie have been together recently and they sounded awesome too.

Trust me, I'm a huge Brian Wilson fan. And though we don't know the whole story, it definitely seems as though Mike Love himself was the reason the C50 ended. Whether he had good reasons or not is debatable. As of now, it seems to me like he likes being the center of attention, the star of the show, doing things the way he wants them done. Which in my opinion is lame. Because I wanted The Beach Boys to become an ongoing concern again, a current recording act. But alas, it didn't happen. And what did happen was No Pier Pressure, up there with Brian's debut as my favorite album of his. We also got Blondie Chaplin back in The Beach Boys orbit, which is a very, very good thing in my opinion. Maybe not yours though, since he was Beach Boy, and we know according to you that all Beach Boys besides Brian are bad news.

But regardless, when Brian, Mike, Al and whoever else get on the stage or even just on a Capitol rooftop together, you can feel the power of the group. You choose to worship Brian at the expense at the rest of the group. I personally love Brian and he's by far my favorite member. But I also realize that his band (The Beach Boys that is) was not worthless and that those guys are pretty awesome in their own right.

You have got me wrong. I started as a Beach Boys fan - I've seen them live in all of their variations, and in addition to Brian's songs and singing, I particularly like Dennis' songs, Dennis' voice, Carl's voice, Al's voice.  And I saw two of the C50 shows as well. I think what you are feeling when you see the band together is an emotional reaction based on your feelings not the power of the group. I feel an emotional reaction when Brian comes on stage but no doubt I could take many friends along to a Brian Wilson show and the experience would escape them. Those who want a reunion are basing it on their emotions not how these people really work as a team. THEIR emotions come into it too. And if 2013 is anything to go by, those emotions are definitely mixed.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:46 PM »

You have got me wrong. I started as a Beach Boys fan - I've seen them live in all of their variations, and in addition to Brian's songs and singing, I particularly like Dennis' songs, Dennis' voice, Carl's voice, Al's voice.  And I saw two of the C50 shows as well. I think what you are feeling when you see the band together is an emotional reaction based on your feelings not the power of the group. I feel an emotional reaction when Brian comes on stage but no doubt I could take many friends along to a Brian Wilson show and the experience would escape them. Those who want a reunion are basing it on their emotions not how these people really work as a team. THEIR emotions come into it too. And if 2012 is anything to go by, those emotions are definitely mixed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:31:42 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 30, 2015, 12:28:13 PM »

Anxiously awaiting an Endless Summer 50th anniversary box set - maybe they can include all songs in mono, stereo, and duophonic.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »

… used to get lost…

“We live in divisive times.”
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 30, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »

Has that particular line up ever played live?  I think the Beach Boys USED to sound awesome but that was when Dennis and Carl were alive and still part of it. There were times when I heard the Beach Boys and they were quite embarrassing. I think now, without the support of younger members, the quality of the vocals would be reduced.

You have got me wrong. I started as a Beach Boys fan - I've seen them live in all of their variations, and in addition to Brian's songs and singing, I particularly like Dennis' songs, Dennis' voice, Carl's voice, Al's voice.  And I saw two of the C50 shows as well. I think what you are feeling when you see the band together is an emotional reaction based on your feelings not the power of the group. I feel an emotional reaction when Brian comes on stage but no doubt I could take many friends along to a Brian Wilson show and the experience would escape them. Those who want a reunion are basing it on their emotions not how these people really work as a team. THEIR emotions come into it too. And if 2013 is anything to go by, those emotions are definitely mixed.
How do you know how they work as a team? As I recall, they must have worked pretty well, considering Brian & Al were upset that the reunion was ending. Talk about emotions getting in the way?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 30, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »

To judge from her recent comments about how they feel, and how they work as a team, Ang is more of an insider that anyone else here. She is apparently privvy to their innermost thoughts  Wink

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 30, 2015, 03:22:36 PM »

You have got me wrong. I started as a Beach Boys fan - I've seen them live in all of their variations, and in addition to Brian's songs and singing, I particularly like Dennis' songs, Dennis' voice, Carl's voice, Al's voice.  And I saw two of the C50 shows as well. I think what you are feeling when you see the band together is an emotional reaction based on your feelings not the power of the group. I feel an emotional reaction when Brian comes on stage but no doubt I could take many friends along to a Brian Wilson show and the experience would escape them. Those who want a reunion are basing it on their emotions not how these people really work as a team. THEIR emotions come into it too. And if 2013 is anything to go by, those emotions are definitely mixed.
How do you know how they work as a team? As I recall, they must have worked pretty well, considering Brian & Al were upset that the reunion was ending. Talk about emotions getting in the way?

Perhaps it worked for some of them better than for others. That's the thing with team work - if it's going well, it tends to keep on going but any team is only as strong as its weakest link.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 30, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »

To judge from her recent comments about how they feel, and how they work as a team, Ang is more of an insider that anyone else here. She is apparently privvy to their innermost thoughts  Wink

No - I may be one of those who is really annoying to the know it alls here but I don't think I know it all. I just observe what happens. They had a reunion. It ended badly. They issued contrary statements to the Press.  'I did not fire Brian Wilson...' /'It kind of felt like being fired'.  Now if they were working as a team, what went wrong? They could have issued a joint statement. 'It was always intended as a limited arrangement. No problem, we had a great time' .... blah de blah.

The music is great and they each contributed to that to greater or lesser extents. But it doesn't take an insider to see that there have been serious problems for a long time. And they still manifest today. Read those interviews in which we learn.... again.... that Brian did drugs. If I had a cousin who brought up long past transgressions every time he got the chance I doubt I'd feel very warmly about him.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2015, 04:56:45 PM »

Or those who are always in favor of a reunion but don't agree with the premises of some about what happened and who is to blame and why etc..

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »

No - I may be one of those who is really annoying to the know it alls here but I don't think I know it all. I just observe what happens. They had a reunion. It ended badly. They issued contrary statements to the Press.  'I did not fire Brian Wilson...' /'It kind of felt like being fired'.  Now if they were working as a team, what went wrong? They could have issued a joint statement. 'It was always intended as a limited arrangement. No problem, we had a great time' .... blah de blah.

The music is great and they each contributed to that to greater or lesser extents. But it doesn't take an insider to see that there have been serious problems for a long time. And they still manifest today. Read those interviews in which we learn.... again.... that Brian did drugs. If I had a cousin who brought up long past transgressions every time he got the chance I doubt I'd feel very warmly about him.
Look, just come out. You have an agenda. You love Brian and you don't like Mike. That is all I read into in all the paragraphs what you write. No need to mask it. What are you, a politician? Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:28 PM »

So...dare I ask when we might expect the actual book to be out now following the dismissal of Jason Fine?

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 31, 2015, 12:07:23 AM »

Amazon says October 6th 2016, but my spider sense are telling me someone probably just changed a 5 to a 6.  Smiley

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:22 AM »

They issued contrary statements to the Press.  'I did not fire Brian Wilson...' /'It kind of felt like being fired'.  Now if they were working as a team, what went wrong? They could have issued a joint statement. 'It was always intended as a limited arrangement. No problem, we had a great time' .... blah de blah

Good point about the joint statement.

That said...JCM, thank you for getting this thread back on topic!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 31, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »

I just observe what happens.

No, you don't: like anyone with an idée fixe (viz. pretty much everyone in the world at some time or other and certainly everyone here), you see what you want to see in any given situation and build on that. Not that it really matters, because the opinion of anyone who truly thinks - or even puts forth the proposition - that Pet Sounds would have sounded better without the vocals of Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce, but rather with a wall-of-1966-Brians,  is several AUs beyond worthless. Just my opinion, of course, but I feel it has merit.

Gosndarn it, I woke up cranky this morning. More tea, more toast...

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 31, 2015, 01:29:20 AM »

No, you don't: like anyone with an idée fixe (viz. pretty much everyone in the world at some time or other and certainly everyone here), you see what you want to see in any given situation and build on that. Not that it really matters, because the opinion of anyone who truly thinks - or even puts forth the proposition - that Pet Sounds would have sounded better without the vocals of Carl, Dennis, Mike, Alan & Bruce, but rather with a wall-of-1966-Brians,  is several AUs beyond worthless. Just my opinion, of course, but I feel it has merit.

You are putting words into my mouth. I never said Pet Sounds would have sounded better without the other Beach Boys - I said that Brian could have done it (and it would have sounded good).  I also made the point that Mike and Dennis had deeper voices than Brian and obviously that means that Brian couldn't sound just like either of them.  The Beach Boys, plural, were responsible for superb vocals, I'm not arguing with that. But that was then. Without Carl and Dennis and with the surviving Beach Boys in their 70s the situation is different. No doubt it helps Brian to have a younger band on stage with him and no doubt the same is true for Mike and Bruce. 
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2015, 02:03:35 AM »

Amazon says October 6th 2016, but my spider sense are telling me someone probably just changed a 5 to a 6.  Smiley

Ah, October 5TH 2016. Well, that's different. Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2015, 02:28:56 AM »

You are putting words into my mouth. I never said Pet Sounds would have sounded better without the other Beach Boys - I said that Brian could have done it (and it would have sounded good).  I also made the point that Mike and Dennis had deeper voices than Brian and obviously that means that Brian couldn't sound just like either of them.  The Beach Boys, plural, were responsible for superb vocals, I'm not arguing with that. But that was then. Without Carl and Dennis and with the surviving Beach Boys in their 70s the situation is different. No doubt it helps Brian to have a younger band on stage with him and no doubt the same is true for Mike and Bruce.  

Am I ?

Pet Sounds would have had amazing vocals if Brian had done them all on his own.

... the implication being the existing vocals... aren't: "well, yeah, it's OK I guess, but if Brian...". That's your basic MO these days: anything The Beach Boys can or have done, Brian can do or could have done better. Know something ? There are many times I would heartily agree with you... but invariably ? No. It's the differences that make up the wonder of BB harmony. A wall-of-Brian's can be an astonishing, moving thing ("Midnight's Another Day", "Lovin' Feelin'", to name but two) But as GIOMH proved dramatically, it can also pall if used indiscriminately (granted, such a dire album isn't the best possible example, but you see my point).

BTW, you noted that Mike & Dennis have deeper voices than Brian: fact is, Brian has a respectable bass vocal when he turns his mind to it (best example: 1973 version of "Shortenin' Bread"). Currently, he's the best (only ?) bass in his own band. For some arcane reason that both amuses and pleases me.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:41:04 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2015, 04:07:50 AM »

Pet Sounds would have had amazing vocals if Brian had done them all on his own.

... the implication being the existing vocals... aren't: "well, yeah, it's OK I guess, but if Brian...".

That wasn't the implication at all. You are always out to berate Ang just because you disagree with her. You read everything she says through a lens of searching for the unacceptable, so to have a stick to beat her with. Let it go.

Please delete my account
KDS
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2015, 05:20:38 AM »

Ang,

I think you just proved why the reunion didn't last and why its unlikely to happen again.  They appeared to be a team onstage, but it was really a merger of two different bands, with Al and Dave thrown in.  Onstage, it worked.  Often with magical results. 

And you said it right, there have been problems with the members for many years.  That's why I think the separate camps work best now.  Brian seems happier this way. 

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2015, 06:17:13 AM »

To judge from her recent comments about how they feel, and how they work as a team, Ang is more of an insider that anyone else here. She is apparently privvy to their innermost thoughts  Wink

No - I may be one of those who is really annoying to the know it alls here but I don't think I know it all. I just observe what happens. They had a reunion. It ended badly. They issued contrary statements to the Press.  'I did not fire Brian Wilson...' /'It kind of felt like being fired'.  Now if they were working as a team, what went wrong? They could have issued a joint statement. 'It was always intended as a limited arrangement. No problem, we had a great time' .... blah de blah.

Ang,

I think you just proved why the reunion didn't last and why its unlikely to happen again.  They appeared to be a team onstage, but it was really a merger of two different bands, with Al and Dave thrown in.  Onstage, it worked.  Often with magical results.  

And you said it right, there have been problems with the members for many years.  That's why I think the separate camps work best now.  Brian seems happier this way.  
Well, KDS - I don't agree with that proposition that a solo Pet Sounds would have had the force and beauty without the vocal blend that has made them unique.  There is a live Brian Pet Sounds which is wonderful performed in it's entirety. But does not compare to the original studio sessions. The BB's haven't done Pet Sounds in it's entirety live, that I'm aware of.

And while Ang argues that C50 was not a bona fide effort, or doesn't agree with what happened post-reunion, notwithstanding the apparently conflicting press releases, the fact remains that there were contractual obligations in place that the Touring Band had to perform on.  

There was a huge outcry when Brian cancelled the UK tour.  Lots of very disappointed fans.  The Touring Band avoided that by honoring those contractual obligations.  They may have remembered an ill-fated cancelled tour in 1968. I surely remember.

Did they know ahead of C50 that people would want it to become a permanent arrangement? No, they didn't. It could have bombed. No one has a crystal ball.

And, absent being a member of the business, comment might remain better restrained. We don't know. We weren't there.

Just sayin'  Wink
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:19:29 AM by filledeplage » Logged
KDS
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2015, 06:34:25 AM »

To judge from her recent comments about how they feel, and how they work as a team, Ang is more of an insider that anyone else here. She is apparently privvy to their innermost thoughts  Wink

No - I may be one of those who is really annoying to the know it alls here but I don't think I know it all. I just observe what happens. They had a reunion. It ended badly. They issued contrary statements to the Press.  'I did not fire Brian Wilson...' /'It kind of felt like being fired'.  Now if they were working as a team, what went wrong? They could have issued a joint statement. 'It was always intended as a limited arrangement. No problem, we had a great time' .... blah de blah.

Ang,

I think you just proved why the reunion didn't last and why its unlikely to happen again.  They appeared to be a team onstage, but it was really a merger of two different bands, with Al and Dave thrown in.  Onstage, it worked.  Often with magical results.  

And you said it right, there have been problems with the members for many years.  That's why I think the separate camps work best now.  Brian seems happier this way.  
Well, KDS - I don't agree with that proposition that a solo Pet Sounds would have had the force and beauty without the vocal blend that has made them unique.  There is a live Brian Pet Sounds which is wonderful performed in it's entirety. But does not compare to the original studio sessions. The BB's haven't done Pet Sounds in it's entirety live, that I'm aware of.

And while Ang argues that C50 was not a bona fide effort, or doesn't agree with what happened post-reunion, notwithstanding the apparently conflicting press releases, the fact remains that there were contractual obligations in place that the Touring Band had to perform on.  

There was a huge outcry when Brian cancelled the UK tour.  Lots of very disappointed fans.  The Touring Band avoided that by honoring those contractual obligations.  They may have remembered an ill-fated cancelled tour in 1968. I surely remember.

Did they know ahead of C50 that people would want it to become a permanent arrangement? No, they didn't. It could have bombed. No one has a crystal ball.

And, absent being a member of the business, comment might remain better restrained. We don't know. We weren't there.

Just sayin'  Wink

FP,

I've never agreed that the vocal blend on Pet Sounds would've been the same without The Beach Boys harmonies.  Brian's solo versions of Pet Sounds and Smile are good, but can't touch the BB harmonies.   

And you're right the 2012 reunion BB played out their contact.  You can even argue that Brian is a little at fault for his "I feel like I was fired comment" soon after Mike and Bruce resumed business as usual. 

Either way, the album was really good, the shows were great, but it was not sustainable.  It is what it is.  At least we got a full tour and album, which is much better than the 20 minute long Pink Floyd reunion ten years ago. 
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »

Re above....bass vocals in BW band are also  handled by Nick Walusko
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »

Thanks for the reminder - I clean forgot.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx