gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681190 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 07:58:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Mike on The O'Reilly Factor  (Read 5365 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:12:30 AM »

So, Billy Hinsche posted two short clips on facebook from this appearance. Is it online somewhere ? Did anybody see it ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:22:03 AM »

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/index.html#/v/1691892343001/beach-boys-enter-no-spin-zone/?playlist_id=86923
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »

As much as I think O'Reilly is a pompous and chauvinistic ass with twisted values and politics, that was actually a nice little interview. 
It's obvious O'Reilly has respect for them and God knows he doesn't have respect for many people.

Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:37:20 AM »

Tis was a real nice piece. O'Reilly respects the band and it shows. Brian seemed comfortable. I enjoyed the video/song clips as well, solid interview.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:07:53 AM »

Enjoyed watching it very much. Kudos to O'Reilly.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 06:15:53 AM »

For as little of an interview that there actually was (there were mostly video clips), I think O'Reilly's interviewing style is good for Mike and especially Brian. O'Reilly is a big fan, he's aggressive, and he uses humor. But most of all, I got the feeling that Brian respects him. I would love to see a lengthy B. O'Reilly/B. Wilson interview.

Oh, BTW, I know this isn't the right thread, but did I hear Brian Wilson refer to Mike Love as a conceptual genius? Mike Love is a genius per Brian Wilson. I know some people like to "use" different videos and interviews to make their point, so, let's not forget this one.   
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 06:21:26 AM »

For as little of an interview that there actually was (there were mostly video clips), I think O'Reilly's interviewing style is good for Mike and especially Brian. O'Reilly is a big fan, he's aggressive, and he uses humor. But most of all, I got the feeling that Brian respects him. I would love to see a lengthy B. O'Reilly/B. Wilson interview.

Oh, BTW, I know this isn't the right thread, but did I hear Brian Wilson refer to Mike Love as a conceptual genius? Mike Love is a genius per Brian Wilson. I know some people like to "use" different videos and interviews to make their point, so, let's not forget this one.   

I think we should discuss what a "conceptual genius" is.  I would think it's that Mike is really good at what likes to write about, the concept of girls, surf, fun, love, and Brian thinks he's a genius at that.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 06:25:56 AM »

I think we should discuss what a "conceptual genius" is.  I would think it's that Mike is really good at what likes to write about, the concept of girls, surf, fun, love, and Brian thinks he's a genius at that.

Oh yeah! I'll keep bringingup that quote in every Mike Love discussion in the future.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »

Oh yeah! I'll keep bringingup that quote in every Mike Love discussion in the future.

I wanted to see how long it would take for the quote - right out of Brian Wilson's mouth - to be dismissed. It took 10 minutes - 5 longer than I thought it would take. But, it is a Saturday, so....
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 06:42:52 AM »

If somebody knows (and appreciates) how important Mike is to the Beach Boys it's Brian. Simple as that.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »

that must have been a nice moment for Mike heh.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 08:27:13 AM »

I wanted to see how long it would take for the quote - right out of Brian Wilson's mouth - to be dismissed. It took 10 minutes - 5 longer than I thought it would take. But, it is a Saturday, so....

Wait a minute! I was serious. I think Brian is right!

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:09:37 AM »

Even though it was barely an interview, Brian came off relaxed and with it for a change. He mostly just sat quietly but it was still nice because so often you can see he just wants to get outta there. His comments were clear and to the point. Maybe being questioned by a fan that knows his stuff is the way to go where Brian is concerned. At this stage in the game he should not have to sit through any q&a by a clueless reporter/interviewer who is briefed on Brian and the boys five minutes before asking something utterly stupid. It was a nice little segment and it really is amazing how much publicity the band is getting. I think we need to keep reminding ourselves that this is a 50 year deal and most of us never thought we would see what we are witnessing.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 10:18:55 AM »

I don't understand how anybody could dispute Mike Love's ability to write about surf, love, and fun, and fun, and fun.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »

Wait a minute! I was serious. I think Brian is right!

My apologies, Doctor! Embarrassed
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »

You guys are hilarious! Love, love, love...love is all you need (as in Mike).

Don Draper is also a Conceptual Genius. As is any focused, determined marketing professional. Jus' saying... Smokin

Nothing wrong with selling corn flakes. Just make sure they're crunchy and don't f*ck with the formula.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:06 AM »

Thanks for the link !!  Smiley

I have no reason to believe this but do you think the shown clips are from a new DVD that'll collect this stuff ? he choice of the Unicef show was rather odd. But then maybe they just took various youtube-clips

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »

Is it just me or is Brian's current hair style similar to the clip of him singing Surfer Girl?  Afro

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:34 PM »

If somebody knows (and appreciates) how important Mike is to the Beach Boys it's Bruce. Simple as that.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:39 PM »

When Brian can control and intimidate the environment you don't get an interview like that.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »

I think people forget just how much of a presence Mike and Brian together can make.  That interview had a really interesting vibe to it.  Mike's still the frontman dealing with the public, Brian hangs back like the reclusive genius, but then interjects when he feels it's necessary.  When the band was at its most successful, these guys WERE the Beach Boys.  Not to take anything away from Carl and Dennis, but by the time they developed into their own, Brian had long since backed off, and Mike was nowhere near at his best (Carl and Dennis were writing lyrics by then, anyway).

In a way, it's like O'Reilly had Lennon and McCartney sitting in front of him.   Both talented, but never as good apart as they were together.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »

'Twas enjoyable to see O'Reilly pick on Mike Love a little.   Afro

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »

The clips from the Florida 2012 show sound much better mo than the ones we've heard before (I don't remember where those were played)

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx