gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 06:51:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New mixes on 'The Warmth of the Sun' album  (Read 2844 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »

This looks like a good compilation, for someone who doesn't own all of this music already. Definately some interesting tracks, I'm not sure if I'll need it though.

NME article here:
http://www.nme.com/news/the-beach-boys/27393

The Beach Boys release career retrospective
'The Warmth Of The Sun' features remixes from the band themselves
28.Mar.07 10:03pm
The Beach Boys have announced the release of a new career-spanning album featuring tracks selected and remixed by the band themselves.

'The Warmth Of The Sun' is due out on May 22 via Capitol/EMI.

The album is meant to be the companion piece to 2004's double-platinum 'Sounds Of Summer'. It features new stereo mixes of more obscure tracks than the greatest hits collection, such as 'You're So Good To Me' and 'Let Him Run Wild'.

The complete tracklisting is:

'All Summer Long' (new stereo mix)
'Catch A Wave'
'Hawaii'
'Little Honda'
'409'
'It's OK'
'You're So Good To Me' (new stereo mix)
'Then I Kissed Her' (new stereo mix)
'Kiss Me, Baby'
'Please Let Me Wonder' (new stereo mix)
'Let Him Run Wild' (new stereo mix)
'The Little Girl I Once Knew'
'Wendy' (new stereo mix)
'Disney Girls' (1957)
'Forever'
'Friends'
'Breakaway'
'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'
'Surf's Up'
'Feel Flows'
'All This Is That'
'Til I Die'
'Sail On Sailor'
'Cool, Cool Water'
'Don't Go Near The Water'
'California Saga (On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a)'
'California Dreamin''
'The Warmth Of The Sun'

In other news, The Beach Boys will be the focus of an exhibit at The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio later this year.

'Catch a Wave: The Beach Boys, the Early Years' will run from June 22 to December 31.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:30 PM »

I already have a stereo mix of 'You're So Good To Me'

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

I already have a stereo mix of 'You're So Good To Me'

Not a true stereo mix with all the components, you don't.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 03:49:09 PM »

Nice shirts they show on NME's site. I like this the best:

'All Summer Long' (new stereo mix)
'Catch A Wave'
'Hawaii'
'Little Honda'
'409'
'It's OK'
'You're So Good To Me' (new stereo mix)
'Then I Kissed Her' (new stereo mix)
'Kiss Me, Baby'
'Please Let Me Wonder' (new stereo mix)
'Let Him Run Wild' (new stereo mix)
'The Little Girl I Once Knew'
'Wendy' (new stereo mix)
'Disney Girls' (1957)
'Forever'
'Friends'
'Breakaway'
'Why Do Fools Fall In Love'
'Surf's Up'
'Feel Flows'
'All This Is That'
'Til I Die'
'Sail On Sailor'
'Cool, Cool Water'
'Don't Go Near The Water'
'California Saga (On My Way To Sunny Californ-i-a)'
'California Dreamin''
'The Warmth Of The Sun'

Didn't "Why do fools fall in love" come after "Surf's up"?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:52:06 AM »

I was thinking about this cd last night and I remembered something...I saw The Beatles - LOVE Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas in February and remembered hearing that BW went to the premiere and loved it. Then while I was there I kept thinking how great it would be if The Beach Boys did a LOVE-type album with remixes. Maybe this will be similiar (probably not though)

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 11:16:41 AM »

I was thinking about this cd last night and I remembered something...I saw The Beatles - LOVE Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas in February and remembered hearing that BW went to the premiere and loved it. Then while I was there I kept thinking how great it would be if The Beach Boys did a LOVE-type album with remixes. Maybe this will be similiar (probably not though)

Well, the word through the grapevine was that Brian asked George Martin if he and his son would be interested in doing a LOVE-like remix job on the Beach Boys and the Martins politely turned the project down.

"The Warmth Of The Sun" will almost certainly be isolated tracks and the new stereo remixes will only contain material found on the original multi-tracks for each song (unlike the LOVE project which mixed elements from different songs together and crossfaded everything).

I'm just curious why the article emphasizes this idea that the "band themselves" remixed the songs. Surely, Mark Linett is the one who did these new mixes and I assume on his own (although I'm sure Brian, Mike and Al would have reviewed the mixes before mastering).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 11:56:51 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

Brief question concerning 'Til I Die' - who sings the "'These things I'll be..." at the end? I always thought it was Mike, but listening to the mix on Endless Harmony dvd it could be Alan, to my ears.

Or is it Mike on the first half of the line and Al on the second half? There's definitely an Al vibe at the end of the line, or am I wrong?

Opinions?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 11:46:56 AM »

Brief question concerning 'Til I Die' - who sings the "'These things I'll be..." at the end? I always thought it was Mike, but listening to the mix on Endless Harmony dvd it could be Alan, to my ears.

Or is it Mike on the first half of the line and Al on the second half? There's definitely an Al vibe at the end of the line, or am I wrong?

Opinions?

Interesting question.  I've always thought it was Mike too, never really considered Al.  I'll have to listen to the Endless Harmony DVD mix again to see, but until then my money is still on Mike.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:07:39 AM »

Anyone else? All the people here with "dog ears", too... Grin
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »

Anyone else? All the people here with "dog ears", too... Grin

I'm still not entirely sure but I just popped the Endless Harmony Soundtrack CD on and I reckon from a few listens that perhaps it is this:

Mike: "These things I'll be Until I die"
Alan:                               "til I die"

So I reckon Mike sings the first bit and then Al joins in with Mike on "til I die". Either that or Mike just sings "These things Ill be Un" and then Al takes over singing the continued line with "til I die". But as I said I'm still not so sure, maby this is one for Mr. Desper?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 06:48:04 AM »

Thanks! Yeah that's what I thought more or less, I considered:

Mike:   "These things I'll be Un    -  til I die"
Alan:                              "Uhn-n-til I die"

There's a typically Al "oversinging" vibe to the "Un", although I think that line follows the pattern of the line just after Brian's falsetto "Until I die" - two singers, alternating syllables - although there it sounds like Alan and Carl alternating.

I thought the whole line could be Al because I've been fooled before - on the first few listens I didn't notice that the second narrative verse of "Beaks of Eagles" was Al, and more pertinently, the verses on "All This Is That" were Al; I thought they were Mike. It's well established that Al sometimes sounds like Carl and especially Brian, but I think he sounds like Mike too. Mike, when not doing the nasal thing, has a fairly colourless voice and that's true to an extent of the end of Til I Die - it could easily be Mike sans affectations or Al. But I think we're right, and the Al vibe is from the end, which definitely is him.

I love "who sings what" debates!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:46:09 AM by John » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 07:10:33 AM »

I love "who sings what" debates!

So do I Smiley They can be so difficult to determine, which is what makes them so fun. If I could have the session tapes for one song so that I can hear each individual part - out of every song in the Beach Boys catalogue I would probably choose Til I Die. Just such a fantastic song, I hope it is released as a backing track and an a capella mix down the track.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx