-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Scott Bennett discussion thread
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scott Bennett discussion thread  (Read 162879 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2016, 05:30:17 AM »

Damn. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2016, 07:36:33 AM »

Was Scott part of the Pet Sounds sessions that Brian recently recorded for Spotify? If so, I wonder if this will affect their release...

I'm talking about these sessions: https://www.facebook.com/aljardine/photos/a.329031750468900.73041.136456489726428/1050471824991552/?type=3&theater

I don't believe so, based on this (what I would assume to be) group photo: https://www.facebook.com/officialbrianwilson/photos/pb.34250497240.-2207520000.1462843277./10154029289597241/?type=3&theater

That group photo is not from the Spotify in-studio session, but simply from the general tour rehearsals. There were some separate pics (one is in the top link in the posts above) of the separate Spotify session which looked to be set up a bit more like an actual studio session, albeit live in the studio (wearing headphones, etc.)

I don't know if Bennett was at any of these sessions. He was absent in all extant photos up to a certain point, while both Billy Hinsche and Gary Griffin were pictured. One person did post in the 2016 tour thread during the time those rehearsal pics were being shown, that Bennett  (on Facebook I would guess) "posted a pic of Brian and Al in the studio yesterday and said it was a fun day", which seemed to imply but not state outright that Bennett was at some of the sessions or rehearsals. But I don't know if Bennett actually appeared in any photos, nor do I know if there's a way to parse Bennett's words to suggest he wasn't actually there but noted that it was a good day for Brian and Al. Bennett doesn't appear to have been at the rehearsal during which that big group shot was taken.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2016, 07:41:40 AM »

The only shred of hope I could hold on to was that maybe because Scott was (apparently) intoxicated, he might have done something that he would never, ever have dreamed of doing with a clear head...but that the reports of his testimony (or what he told the police, I don't remember) show that he had a clear understanding of what was happening, I can't even think THAT much now.

Was he indeed guilty? If so, he's a rapist. And therefore a dirtbag.

Was there consent? If so, he took advantage of someone who was too bombed out of her mind to make any kind of judgment. And therefore he's a dirtbag.

Was there consent regardless? The guy is married. He's a dirtbag.

But regardless of whether he was intoxicated or not, he knew exactly what he was doing. He remembered what he did. He's a dirtbag.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2016, 09:12:17 AM »

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:15:40 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2016, 09:39:35 AM »

As stated earlier, this thread is the definition of on topic. Member of Brian's band, an incident on Brian's tour, etc., etc.

Agreed...as ugly as it is. We got to what, 80 pages of Pamplin's nonsense and this is dumped into the box after a few days. Not Brian's fault or anyone else associated with the band but this IS a big deal. Scott was not just a "former keyboard player". He has been a huge part of Brian's band all along and cowrote a lot of songs. He's all over every live performance with Brian out there including the c50 stuff. I actually lost sleep last night thinking about this.

Since Bennett has posted here is he now banned too?
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »

Could not agree more.

THIS thread stays on -- "Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles" --  and this nonsense BEACHB-oysters' (sand-corny) POETRY PEARLS - YULEtide-edit... -- but Brian Wilson's primary collaborator for the past decade convicted of rape after a BW show while on a BW tour gets pulled for not being relevant?

How is that off-topic?

Y'know, there's a Beatles fanzine that prides itself as being as factual and as hard news as you can get -- except -- the refuse to print Mark David Chapman's name. They maintain that by doing so they're "giving the killer what he wanted."
But news is news and sh it gets dirty. You can't have it both ways. (And who was that dude BEGGING the mods to have it moved to The Sandbox? Jeez. . . )

Granted, if the Scott Bennett thread devolved into moronica, The Sandbox would've been a better place for it. But not three days in. Not when the person has been so closely involved with all aspects of this music for nearly 20 years.

I think it's incredibly thin-skinned to get this off the main board so quickly. What I believe SHOULD have been the case is that due to the nature of this subject, the mods should've watched it closely and actually MODERATED it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:34:07 AM by Howie Edelson » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2016, 10:40:17 AM »

Could not agree more.

THIS thread stays on -- "Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles" --  and this nonsense BEACHB-oysters' (sand-corny) POETRY PEARLS - YULEtide-edit... -- but Brian Wilson's primary collaborator for the past decade convicted of rape after a BW show while on a BW tour gets pulled for not being relevant?

How is that off-topic?

Y'know, there's a Beatles fanzine that prides itself as being as factual and as hard news as you can get -- except -- the refuse to print Mark David Chapman's name. They maintain that by doing so they're "giving the killer what he wanted."
But news is news and sh it gets dirty. You can't have it both ways. (And who was that dude BEGGING the mods to have it moved to The Sandbox? Jeez. . . )

Granted, if the Scott Bennett thread devolved into moronica, The Sandbox would've been a better place for it. But not three days in. Not when the person has been so closely involved with all aspects of this music for nearly 20 years.

I think it's incredibly thin-skinned to get this off the main board so quickly. What I believe SHOULD have been the case is that due to the nature of this subject, the mods should've watched it closely and actually MODERATED it.

I agree.  As I said earlier in the thread, if the Stamos dui thread (which immediately turned very off topic) was allowed to stay in the other forum, then so should this. 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »

AND. . . . . .

It is the ONLY thing people are thinking and talking about.

How is this MORE relevant -- "Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles"?!

I'm not suggesting that this thread needs to be ongoing forever, but we've had threads about why people hate members of The Beach Boys stay on for eons.

Maybe we should all just ask Bruce how the surfing is today.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2016, 11:02:54 AM »

And, stunningly, the discussions of this topic here have all remained cordial and have largely not gotten into the normal hyperbole and political rants and random victim blamers that often pop up in discussions like this in many other corners of the internet.

When we're even for one moment thinking about whether we can bring ourselves to even listen to what amounts to the majority of Brian's solo output, that's a pretty important topic.

And yes, as nausea-inducing as it might be, it's also sadly a case where this happened during a BW tour. This all happened, and a week later they were filming the PBS "Soundstage" special that I've been enjoying on Blu-ray for the last year. I was watching the thing literally hours before the news broke. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2016, 11:14:53 AM »

AND. . . . . .

It is the ONLY thing people are thinking and talking about.

How is this MORE relevant -- "Put a Beatle in The BBs + a BB in The Beatles"?!

I'm not suggesting that this thread needs to be ongoing forever, but we've had threads about why people hate members of The Beach Boys stay on for eons.

Maybe we should all just ask Bruce how the surfing is today.

100% agree Howie! This should not have been moved yet. Hell,the Stamos DUI thread is still in General Topics after 11 months!

I wonder if a "request" was made to move it?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:19:59 AM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:09 AM »

I can understand the concerns of the mods and the posters who wanted it moved. Perhaps there could be a guideline that if people want to discuss the nature of the crime or the trial they should do so in the sandbox but if they want to discuss the impact on Brian Wilson and his band, that should be in the main forum?

And, ORR, yes, upthread you can see many people wanted to move it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2016, 11:22:26 AM »

I can understand the concerns of the mods and the posters who wanted it moved. Perhaps there could be a guideline that if people want to discuss the nature of the crime or the trial they should do so in the sandbox but if they want to discuss the impact on Brian Wilson and his band, that should be in the main forum?

I just edited my post, Stamos DUI thread, 11 months and counting "not in the Sandbox".

By request, I mean "someone's camp...."

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »

I just edited my post, Stamos DUI thread, 11 months and counting "not in the Sandbox".

I did notice on Brian's forum that all comments were deleted and the thread was locked.  Not that it has anything to do with this moving to the sandbox.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:32 AM »

Does it really matter where the thread is located? If people want to talk about it, they will find it, just like we've been doing since it was started.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »

Generally speaking, I'm thinking the "Sandbox" gets far less views and traffic in general, because there are plenty of folks who come to the board specifically for BB-related topics. I for one have largely stayed away from the "Sandbox", and my general perception has been that this is generally the area where people talk about things I have no interest in reading on this board, like politics, palindromes or whatever that one thread is, etc.

So while all areas of this board are accessible to all, I'm sure some folks who normally pay zero attention to the Sandbox might miss something if an on-topic thread is moved there.

Indeed, my bookmarks all point straight to the "General On Topic Discussions" section of the board.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 11:59:33 AM by HeyJude » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »

To be honest, I've been thinking about creating an sub-forum of off-topic BB/BW related posts, like the word games and stuff. Kind of like the Sandbox, but relating to the BB/BW.

As for why this is moved here, since he's no longer in the band, it technically is off-subject. If there was an off-topic on-topic board right now, would've moved it there.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2016, 12:18:05 PM »

Generally speaking, I'm thinking the "Sandbox" gets far less views and traffic in general, because there are plenty of folks who come to the board specifically for BB-related topics. I for one have largely stayed away from the "Sandbox", and my general perception has been that this is generally the area where people talk about things I have no interest in reading on this board, like politics, palindromes or whatever that one thread is, etc.

So while all areas of this board are accessible to all, I'm sure some folks who normally pay zero attention to the Sandbox might miss something if an on-topic thread is moved there.

Indeed, my bookmarks all point straight to the "General On Topic Discussions" section of the board.

I'm thinking that the desire for this thread to be payed less attention to (which while I understand, I also have mixed feelings about) is exactly the main reason why it's being moved here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:32:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2016, 12:22:09 PM »

I take it then that you do not use "Show unread posts since last visit"? It shows me everything, including the Sandbox entries.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »

As for why this is moved here, since he's no longer in the band, it technically is off-subject. If there was an off-topic on-topic board right now, would've moved it there.

The thing is, there are many members of the band who got kicked out/quit and were no longer members of the band, including (for a time) Dennis, Brian, Carl, and David, but that doesn't erase the fact that they were (even during their time away from the band) and remain an integral part of the history. I can't think that if the SS board existed back during those times, that any topic involving any of those guys (even when for all anyone knew, they'd never return to the band in the future) would be considered off-topic.

Even though the circumstances are obviously much more terrible here, and even though Scott's not an original BB, he is basically an original member of the Brian Wilson Band, Brian's main collaborator of late, and it's not possible to just pretend that he's not part of the story... especially since this very unfortunate incident occurred on tour, and does have an effect on the public perception of the band. I wish it didn't, I don't want the band's image dragged down... and maybe moving this thread is the only way to accomplish that. And I can understand and respect that. I'm just speaking in the interest of what's actually accurate and impartial, and where this fits in with being a relevant topic, and I don't think we can really claim that it's not. Just IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 12:34:59 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2016, 12:32:57 PM »

I did notice on Brian's forum that all comments were deleted and the thread was locked.  Not that it has anything to do with this moving to the sandbox.
Maybe gf2000 will answer your question. He is also a Mod over there, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 12:37:41 PM »

This is literally the first time I've EVER posted on The Sandbox -- and actually ever read a thread on it.

I've always considered this the place for people ranting about race/politics or being silly/immature (or burying topics.)
My point is -- once it's here, it's dead.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »

This is literally the first time I've EVER posted on The Sandbox -- and actually ever read a thread on it.

I've always considered this the place for people ranting about race/politics or being silly/immature (or burying topics.)
My point is -- once it's here, it's dead.

Hey, at least you can post here, somewhere. If you were over on Brian's board, you'd be left mumbling. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2016, 01:05:33 PM »

Billy, the Stamos DUI thread is still in GOTD after 11 months. This should not be in the Sandbox. It's major news in the BB universe.

KDS
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2016, 01:20:26 PM »

So, random BB related threads are just being thrown into the Sandbox now? 

I noticed two more. 
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2016, 01:37:47 PM »

To be honest, I've been thinking about creating an sub-forum of off-topic BB/BW related posts, like the word games and stuff. Kind of like the Sandbox, but relating to the BB/BW.

neat idea

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: