gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681045 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 17, 2024, 07:41:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer Quarterly feedback  (Read 86803 times)
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: September 03, 2015, 07:22:09 AM »

The Fall 2015 edition of ESQ contents:

LETTERS
PIPELINE - news section

SECTION ONE
BRIAN WILSON - NO PIER PRESSURE
Interviews with: Al Jardine, Matt Jardine, Blondie Chaplin, Kenny Aronoff and Don Was

SECTION TWO
BRIAN WILSON - I JUST WASN'T MADE FOR THESE TIMES 20th ANNIVERSARY
Interview with: Don Was; plus sessionography by Craig Slowinski

SECTION THREE
BRIAN WILSON - ADULT CHILD
By Peter Reum; plus sessionography by Craig Slowinski

REVIEWS...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:41:09 AM by ESQ Editor » Logged
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »

Hey...new subscriber here! Eagerly anticipating my first issue as IJWMFTT and A/C are two of my favourite Beach Boy related things ever.

Quick question....I'm based in England...when would I usually expect this treat to plop on my doormat?

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2015, 12:22:29 AM »

Being a former UK subscriber, until the finances hit home a touch too heavily, firstly I can tell you that the delivery takes very little time to hit these shores... always prompt. But secondly, is there any possibility you guys would consider offering an e-copy of the mag ? Cheaper to compile, distribute and purchase - and the PDF layout I'm guessing is already in place. I know it's not the same as a physical copy in your hand (much as the same comparison as buying off iTunes against having the vinyl yourself) but I get Goldmine delivered that way, don't miss out on anything - and the subs, particularly for those outside the U.S., are much cheaper. Just a thought ...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:37:26 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2015, 04:29:10 AM »

Being a former UK subscriber, until the finances hit home a touch too heavily, firstly I can tell you that the delivery takes very little time to hit these shores... always prompt. But secondly, is there any possibility you guys would consider offering an e-copy of the mag ? Cheaper to compile, distribute and purchase - and the PDF layout I'm guessing is already in place. I know it's not the same as a physical copy in your hand (much as the same comparison as buying off iTunes against having the vinyl yourself) but I get Goldmine delivered that way, don't miss out on anything - and the subs, particularly for those outside the U.S., are much cheaper. Just a thought ...

Hey Malc -

We have considered it; our issues are delivered to the printer in PDF format, so they are ready to go.  The challenge is putting the user/password infrastructure in place so that only active subscribers can download the issues; otherwise the link would get propagated across the Internet for free.  Goldmine is part of the larger Krause Publications, so they had the resources to invest in that secure download infrastructure across all of their publications.

Lee
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 06, 2015, 10:12:57 AM »

U
Hey Malc -

We have considered it; our issues are delivered to the printer in PDF format, so they are ready to go.  The challenge is putting the user/password infrastructure in place so that only active subscribers can download the issues; otherwise the link would get propagated across the Internet for free.  Goldmine is part of the larger Krause Publications, so they had the resources to invest in that secure download infrastructure across all of their publications.

Lee
[/quote]

It would be great if you could, but I understand about the security aspect of it. The other option is maybe, every quarter, publish each issue as a Kindle/Amazon sale, individually priced. And then delete it each issue as the next one becomes available ! Crazy idea ... but it might work ! Just looking at ways to get my subs back !!

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 06, 2015, 03:18:02 PM »

Hey Malc -

We have considered it; our issues are delivered to the printer in PDF format, so they are ready to go.  The challenge is putting the user/password infrastructure in place so that only active subscribers can download the issues; otherwise the link would get propagated across the Internet for free.  Goldmine is part of the larger Krause Publications, so they had the resources to invest in that secure download infrastructure across all of their publications.

Lee

Lee, would it be feasible perhaps to email each subscriber their own password protected copy (using either a predefined password or one provided by ESQ), including password permissions protection to preclude printing, copying, or editing of the document?

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »

I'm sure that there are 3rd-party services out there that we could pay to manage the issue hosting and security and download process for us; the problem is they charge a fee, and ESQ is barely breaking even as it is.  We wouldn't be eliminating the printing process since some subscribers will still want a printed copy.  We would have to make it up with an increased subscriber count.

Lee
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2015, 09:51:47 PM »

Posted a primary list for the giveaway items available to all subscribers of ESQ.
https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 11:02:48 PM by ESQ Editor » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2015, 11:00:50 PM »

Yeah: www.facebook.com/pctjohnbadger Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »

Hope David and the mods don't mind me reporting ESQ's Facebook post here for the benefit of those without Facebook acounts. ESQ's a great read and there's plenty of incentive here to subscribe if you don't already:

ENDLESS SUMMER QUARTERLY is excited to announce our latest giveaway! No secret keywords, no forms to fill out, no essays. Just be an ACTIVE PAID SUBSCRIBER with one or more issues remaining on your subscription as of November 7, 2015. New subscribers, former subscribers who re-subscribe, and current subscribers all have an equal chance to win. Complimentary subscribers are not eligible. (NOTE: If your subscription expires with the Fall 2015 issue, get your renewal in by November 7, 2015 in order to eligible.)
Here's an abridged list of the GRAND PRIZE items:
• The Beach Boys 2015 Official Endless Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) Tour Program - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• Endless Summer Quarterly : Summer 2015 edition - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• The Beach Boys - Assortment of Capitol Records LP re-releases
• Brian Wilson - autographed 2000 8" x 10"
• Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure 16-track Deluxe CD
• Brian Wilson - Record Store Day “The Right Time”/“Sail Away” 45
• Brian Wilson - “Midnight’s Another Day”/“That Lucky Old Sun”/“Morning Beat” blue vinyl 45 with picture sleeve
• Al Jardine - autographed 2002 8” x 10”
• David Marks And Friends – Live On Sunset 2010
• Ricci Martin – Beached CD
• The Bamboo Trading Company CD - autographed by Matt Jardine, Gary Griffin, Randell Kirsch, Philip Bardowell, Chris English Pittman and Miami Dan + special guests Dean Torrence, David Marks & Probyn Gregory
• MOJO ’60s - Smile edition, with “Cabin Essence”/“Wonderful” yellow vinyl 45
A complete list of prize items, including SECOND and THIRD PRIZE, will be posted soon. Names of winners and prize item(s) will be posted to Endless Summer Quarterly's Facebook Page.

Looks from the exclusions listed that overseas subscribers do qualify for the draw too Smiley

“We live in divisive times.”
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2015, 12:36:34 AM »

I just subscribed recently....they just 'give away' this stuff!! Wow...all I have to do is be a subscriber? Count me in...

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2015, 07:03:34 AM »

Hope David and the mods don't mind me reporting ESQ's Facebook post here for the benefit of those without Facebook acounts. ESQ's a great read and there's plenty of incentive here to subscribe if you don't already:

ENDLESS SUMMER QUARTERLY is excited to announce our latest giveaway! No secret keywords, no forms to fill out, no essays. Just be an ACTIVE PAID SUBSCRIBER with one or more issues remaining on your subscription as of November 7, 2015. New subscribers, former subscribers who re-subscribe, and current subscribers all have an equal chance to win. Complimentary subscribers are not eligible. (NOTE: If your subscription expires with the Fall 2015 issue, get your renewal in by November 7, 2015 in order to eligible.)
Here's an abridged list of the GRAND PRIZE items:
• The Beach Boys 2015 Official Endless Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) Tour Program - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• Endless Summer Quarterly : Summer 2015 edition - autographed by Mike Love & Bruce Johnston
• The Beach Boys - Assortment of Capitol Records LP re-releases
• Brian Wilson - autographed 2000 8" x 10"
• Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure 16-track Deluxe CD
• Brian Wilson - Record Store Day “The Right Time”/“Sail Away” 45
• Brian Wilson - “Midnight’s Another Day”/“That Lucky Old Sun”/“Morning Beat” blue vinyl 45 with picture sleeve
• Al Jardine - autographed 2002 8” x 10”
• David Marks And Friends – Live On Sunset 2010
• Ricci Martin – Beached CD
• The Bamboo Trading Company CD - autographed by Matt Jardine, Gary Griffin, Randell Kirsch, Philip Bardowell, Chris English Pittman and Miami Dan + special guests Dean Torrence, David Marks & Probyn Gregory
• MOJO ’60s - Smile edition, with “Cabin Essence”/“Wonderful” yellow vinyl 45
A complete list of prize items, including SECOND and THIRD PRIZE, will be posted soon. Names of winners and prize item(s) will be posted to Endless Summer Quarterly's Facebook Page.

Looks from the exclusions listed that overseas subscribers do qualify for the draw too Smiley

Heck, I think the best prize would be to get on the complimentary subscribers list and never have to pay for ESQ

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2015, 07:41:06 AM »

Heck, I think the best prize would be to get on the complimentary subscribers list and never have to pay for ESQ

Chris, change your last name to Wilson, Love, or Jardine, or join one of the touring bands, and we will be happy to comp you!  Smiley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2015, 08:12:46 AM »

Chris, change your last name to Wilson, Love, or Jardine, or join one of the touring bands, and we will be happy to comp you!  Smiley

That's all it takes?  Simple enough...

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »

Oh, and don't take shots at the editor every chance you get...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »

Oh, and don't take shots at the editor every chance you get...

Moi??  There's SO many chances lately and so few shots across the bow, at least by me. 
Think you need to step up with your cd collection tho....

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2015, 11:03:12 AM »

"Love & Mercy" DVDs arrived today, and will be added to the giveaway.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2015, 06:00:49 PM »

Maybe you can send one to Mike Love for a candid examiner.com review of it!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »

Maybe you can send one to Mike Love for a candid examiner.com review of it!
LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2015, 02:33:23 PM »

The Endless Summer Quarterly giveaway is underway, and we will begin to mail random prizes out between now and November 7.  You have to be a subscriber to be eligible. 

The deadline date is November 7, and names will be chosen at random.  More details to come on ESQ's Facebook page.

Here's the direct link to information on the Fall 2015 edition of Endless Summer Quarterly.
http://esquarterly.com/buy-ESQ.html#fall2015
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: September 22, 2015, 06:09:02 AM »

I just subscribed recently....they just 'give away' this stuff!! Wow...all I have to do is be a subscriber? Count me in...

Looking forward to your feedback when it reaches you.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 22, 2015, 06:17:57 AM »

We have more items that we're in the process of including, so be sure to have your subscriptions up to date by November 7. 

We also anticipate receiving copies of:
Carl Wilson CD
Carl Wilson Youngblood CD 
Carl Wilson - Long Promised Road: Carl Wilson, Soul of the Beach Boys - The Biography

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 22, 2015, 08:56:44 AM »

Promo SACDs of Acoustic Sounds' All Summer Long, Today!, Summer Days, Party! and Pet Sounds just arrived.  LPs should be soon.  Look for reviews in the next ESQ.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: September 22, 2015, 12:15:16 PM »

Got this issue in yesterday's mail... went right to the Adult Child article but skimmed the rest.  Once again, a great issue, up there with the previous LA Light Album edition.  Peter Reum's ruminations about that aborted project were fascinating, as was the sessionography.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2015, 02:20:43 PM »

Got this issue in yesterday's mail... went right to the Adult Child article but skimmed the rest.  Once again, a great issue, up there with the previous LA Light Album edition.  Peter Reum's ruminations about that aborted project were fascinating, as was the sessionography.

Thank you Steve.

Craig Slowinski's sessionography work is invaluable, and Peter Reum's firsthand accounts are too.  Craig and Peter bring tremendous value to ESQ, and we're grateful for their continued contributions. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx