gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:27:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom Tapes - LA Weekly 1-30-14  (Read 86784 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2014, 02:06:20 AM »

I can't believe everybody seems to believe this material is probably going to be released. I would love to see it released, but we gotta be very realistic. A boxset full of demos in the vein of Still I Dream Of It and California Feeling '74 is just not going to happen. The material is so rough. It's just interesting for the diehard fans like us. But I don't think it's ever going to get a full blown major label release...

Even Beach Boys said the same about the Smile sessions material… if what's happening here is an attempt to fire up enthusiasm for the tracks, and to give them a reputation as the rough workings of our greatest musical genius, the hope might be that they develop such a strong cult following that demand starts to grow and grow…  

The guys over on the Rollin Up Top Heaven* message board have been debating, analysing and clamouring for this stuff for years, just as the folks here and on predecessors like MaleEgo and the Smile Shop demanded the release of Smile, with eventual success.

* I made this bit up, there's no such board.**

** Yet…
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:33:13 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2014, 02:09:05 AM »

I can't believe everybody seems to believe this material is probably going to be released. I would love to see it released, but we gotta be very realistic. A boxset full of demos in the vein of Still I Dream Of It and California Feeling '74 is just not going to happen. The material is so rough. It's just interesting for the diehard fans like us. But I don't think it's ever going to get a full blown major label release...

Even Beach Boys said the same about the Smile sessions material… if what's happening here is an attempt to fire up enthusiasm for the tracks, and to give them a reputation as the rough workings of our greatest musical genius, the hope might be that they develop such a strong cult following that demand starts to grow and grow…  

+1 (!!!)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »

I'd have to think he's had it up to here with the crazy Brian Wilson thing. If Brian doesn't mind, I think Melinda Wilson would.

I assumed MELINDA was behind this whole thing. No past/unreleased material is sacred with Brian's wifeandmanagers, especially if you can make an album out of it. And, if the title fits, er....can help sell records, that'll be used, too. police
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »

I'd have to think he's had it up to here with the crazy Brian Wilson thing. If Brian doesn't mind, I think Melinda Wilson would.

I assumed MELINDA was behind this whole thing. No past/unreleased material is sacred with Brian's wifeandmanagers, especially if you can make an album out of it. And, if the title fits, er....can help sell records, that'll be used, too. police

Your assumption is roughly 100% wrong.  Possibly more. LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »

Your assumption is roughly 100% wrong.  Possibly more. LOL

Yeah, seems like WifeandManagers has always been reluctant to call attention to B-Dub's.......eccentricity (which, as we all know, is one of the things that makes him so spectacularly interesting).

"Jeff, you care." --BW
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »

If Melinda were that keen to see all of Brian's material released, she would have released the original Paley tapes by now, as well as Sweet Insanity, if they could find the master for that one.  Since BRI has the rights to material from the bedroom/living room tapes, there's even less incentive for her to feel much enthusiasm for this set of material. So, I doubt she's the one behind the article, though I could be wrong.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »

Oddly, the one behind the article is the guy who wrote it.

Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »

Brian Wilson's Genius: Readers Discuss a New Discovery

by L.A. Weekly readers   Thursday, Feb 6 2014

What if everything you thought you knew about Brian Wilson was wrong? What if he wasn't just a bubble-gum pop star who spiraled into crippling depression but a musical genius who, in addition to recording the long-delayed Smile, has a wealth of other tracks just waiting for an audience? The revelations in Brian Chidester's cover story last week, "The Secret Brian Wilson Bedroom Tapes," excited longtime fans and more casual listeners alike.

Dbpcservice writes, "Fantastic article."

Sean Broderick agrees: "I enjoyed reading this well-written article. As a person who very much appreciates music, I love to learn new information about truly great artists, such as Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. If and when Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom (Music) gets released, I'll be buying it the first day it's available. When the 2011 Beach Boys Smile album was finally released, it was a thrill to hear the whimsical lyrics and music with all of the Beach Boys participating and singing. One of the big reasons the Beach Boys have been so successful is that they have six excellent lead singers, not just one or two. Thank you!"

Drmiguel.deleon writes, "Good article, except that the writer alluded twice to Brian Wilson's diminishing songwriting and experimentation, ostensibly ending in the mid-'70s. This, however, doesn't account for his ongoing work as a solo artist — just as there are many demos from that period, so also are there many unreleased songs Wilson has either composed or recorded since the late 1980s. The Beach Boys' reunion album, That's Why God Made the Radio, is a case in point. The story is that most of the music for that album was written and demo'd by Brian back in 1996, and the plan was a Beach Boys album at that time, but that Carl Wilson's losing battle with cancer sidelined the project.

"Would that Brother Records — and Brian himself — would release the demos, or else Brian could complete the recordings and send them out to a world that now appreciates his gift and the journey he's taken."

Finally, Killabagger reminds us of one factor affecting Wilson in the late '60s: "You all have to remember 1964-66 was the heyday of LSD use in L.A. It was legal, and pure, and it was everywhere. Brian and others were eating LSD like Tic-Tacs. As enlightening LSD is, too much makes you mental. I was there as a kid, and saw it big-time in Laurel Canyon."

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2014, 04:15:36 PM »

Brian Wilson's Genius: Readers Discuss a New Discovery

by L.A. Weekly readers   Thursday, Feb 6 2014

What if everything you thought you knew about Brian Wilson was wrong? What if he wasn't just a bubble-gum pop star who spiraled into crippling depression but a musical genius who, in addition to recording the long-delayed Smile, has a wealth of other tracks just waiting for an audience? The revelations in Brian Chidester's cover story last week, "The Secret Brian Wilson Bedroom Tapes," excited longtime fans and more casual listeners alike.

Dbpcservice writes, "Fantastic article."

Sean Broderick agrees: "I enjoyed reading this well-written article. As a person who very much appreciates music, I love to learn new information about truly great artists, such as Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. If and when Brian Wilson's Secret Bedroom (Music) gets released, I'll be buying it the first day it's available. When the 2011 Beach Boys Smile album was finally released, it was a thrill to hear the whimsical lyrics and music with all of the Beach Boys participating and singing. One of the big reasons the Beach Boys have been so successful is that they have six excellent lead singers, not just one or two. Thank you!"

Drmiguel.deleon writes, "Good article, except that the writer alluded twice to Brian Wilson's diminishing songwriting and experimentation, ostensibly ending in the mid-'70s. This, however, doesn't account for his ongoing work as a solo artist — just as there are many demos from that period, so also are there many unreleased songs Wilson has either composed or recorded since the late 1980s. The Beach Boys' reunion album, That's Why God Made the Radio, is a case in point. The story is that most of the music for that album was written and demo'd by Brian back in 1996, and the plan was a Beach Boys album at that time, but that Carl Wilson's losing battle with cancer sidelined the project.

"Would that Brother Records — and Brian himself — would release the demos, or else Brian could complete the recordings and send them out to a world that now appreciates his gift and the journey he's taken."

Finally, Killabagger reminds us of one factor affecting Wilson in the late '60s: "You all have to remember 1964-66 was the heyday of LSD use in L.A. It was legal, and pure, and it was everywhere. Brian and others were eating LSD like Tic-Tacs. As enlightening LSD is, too much makes you mental. I was there as a kid, and saw it big-time in Laurel Canyon."

Thanxx Ed! 

But I thought there was to be some new thought-provoking artcle on the "Bedroom Tapes" in this issue? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »

I have the new LA Weekly and there ain't no thing 'bout the Bedroom Tapes in it.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

Thanxx Ed! 

But I thought there was to be some new thought-provoking article on the "Bedroom Tapes" in this issue? 

Part 2 was supposed to be in this weeks issue.  I know I wasn't the only one Brian interviewed for it; think AGD had mentioned he'd done another, too.  Next week maybe; I do know the Weekly was really excited about the response.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:18 PM »

So he started the whole thing saying that everybody thinks Brian is a bubblegum pop star and nobody realizes he's a musical genius.... except the guy writing the article.

'guess I can stop reading about right there.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:24 PM »

I'm imagining the movie is going to strengthen the mythology around Brian Wilson and that team BW will want to captitalise with a suitably Brian-Wilson-troubled-genius 'on brand' release. Smile's been done so what's left? Well a collection of odds and sods under the suitably evocative title 'bedroom tapes' totally fits the bill doesn't it? It's a catch-all title that gives the compilers a lot of room to manoeuvre.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is released in line with the movie. I can dream anyway ...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:44:36 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »

So, half a dozen fans or so wrote that they're excited. This article is Astroturf at its finest. None of it is revealing anything new, either. I'm not saying there aren't fans who wouldn't buy it, but it will never be Smile, Part II.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2014, 05:04:28 PM »

What are the odds of The Bedroom Tapes being released

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »

What are the odds that you take down the annoying and disrespectful image of BW masturbating?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »

What are the odds that you take down the annoying and disrespectful image of BW masturbating?
wat

A discipline daddy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2014, 10:04:56 PM »

None of it is revealing anything new, either.

Supposedly the author of the piece is doing a track-by-track analysis in an upcoming LA Weekly article. So I say we wait 'til after that's out to see whether it's all just a bunch of stuff we already know, or whether it's gonna be a super revelatory article that makes us all salivate to hear some unreleased late '60s/early '70s B-Dub.

Honestly, for the most of the posters here I suspect this comes down to whether there really is a decently sized chunk of cool unreleased Brian Wilson material from this period or not. I'm still skeptical, just because we haven't ever heard a lot about this era besides the most of the few titles in the original article ("Rooftop Harry", etc.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »

As a bookmaker, I can say with absolute authority, 50/50 - they will, or they won't.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »

Of course, as a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson nutcase I want anything and everything ever recorded to be released, but realistically a simple 10-12 track "highlights disc" would do me just fine.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2014, 12:08:52 AM »

None of it is revealing anything new, either.

Supposedly the author of the piece is doing a track-by-track analysis in an upcoming LA Weekly article. So I say we wait 'til after that's out to see whether it's all just a bunch of stuff we already know, or whether it's gonna be a super revelatory article that makes us all salivate to hear some unreleased late '60s/early '70s B-Dub.

Honestly, for the most of the posters here I suspect this comes down to whether there really is a decently sized chunk of cool unreleased Brian Wilson material from this period or not. I'm still skeptical, just because we haven't ever heard a lot about this era besides the most of the few titles in the original article ("Rooftop Harry", etc.)

Same here sweetdudejim, I can't quite figure out why there was no track-by-track or listing (and very little evidence that the author had heard much if anything of the tracks) in the first piece and why the second piece which we're told will do something along those lines is only being written, going by AGD's comment, as an after thought.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 12:15:57 AM by John Manning » Logged

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:50 AM »

wat

It was a joke.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2014, 08:27:26 AM »

Paging Dr. Cohen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2014, 01:05:58 PM »

Article is in the works.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 09, 2014, 10:46:21 PM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:47:22 PM by John Manning » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx