gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680890 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 03, 2024, 12:58:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's vs. Mike's bridge vox on the bridge of Wouldn’t it Be Nice...  (Read 3649 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »

Does anyone else think that the bridge of Wouldn’t it Be Nice works muuuuuuch better with Brian singing on it? (I’m talking about the initial stereo mix before they were able to “fly in” Mike’s lead from the mono ’66 mix and make a “new” stereo mix with Mike on the bridge).

The first version of Pet Sounds that I ever owned was the version with Brian singing on it, and maybe it’s just because I fell in love with the song that way.

But still, I think that despite my predisposition to falling in love with the song with that mix of Brian singing on the bridge, and despite it not being the “proper” originally-released version, that Brian’s vocals on the bridge just “make” the song. That bridge part is one of the most beautifully lush psychedelic moments in BW’s entire cannon.  It's actually hard for me to listen to it with Mike's vocals there (I think Mike has had some fine moments as a vocalist, but that bridge isn't particularly one of his finest hours, especially compared to his other vocal parts in that era of the band.)

Thoughts?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »

I like it with Mike.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »

I like it with Mike too. His voice in that section just adds another color that, for me, is welcome ...
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:35 PM »

I prefer Mike's vocal, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »

not sure i've even heard it all brian with instruments.  just the stack of vocals one from pet sounds sessions.  but i'd prob like mike.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »

I have nothing against Mike Love except as a target of mockery and satire because he is a chode, however, I really respect and dig most of his contributions to the band and think he's done a swell job being a Beach Boy.

However, I prefer the Brian version mainly because Wouldn't it be Nice is a perfect song, it's just the single most wonderful thing ever recorded at all, and I kind of just don't want Mike to be around for it, plus his nasal domination on the Bridge just doesn't work for me in that song. Needs moar Wilsons.

I like the rest of his work on Pet Sounds though. The only real problem I actually have with BWPS is the LACK of Mike Love. I don't think Al would have got any real noteworthy leads on it, but Mike sure would have if it had been finished back in the days. He probably would have had a great lead in Do You Like Worms, which is just the coolest song around. Mike Love makes Love You so much better. He does a great job on Airplane, and the creepy pedo vibe of Roller Skating Child kind of becomes a gag with Mike Love singing it. Same with Hey Little Tomboy, but not nearly so effectively.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:17:23 PM »

As much as I dig most of Mike's work on Pet Sounds, I think his vocal on the bridge to WIBN is pretty awful.  Even before I heard Brian's version, I thought it was a jarring change to go from Brian's smooth and strong voice to Mike's nasal vocal on that beautifully written bridge.  Brian sings it so lovingly and sweetly, like he really means it.  Mike sounds like he's phoning it in to me.

It's odd actually, because like I said, I love his vocals on the rest of the album...but that part just doesn't work for me at all.  That's probably the one vocalist selection that Brian made on that album that I think was wrong.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »

This boggles my mind: Probably the greatest track on the greatest album of all time: in fact, one of the greatest songs/tracks/productions of all-time AS released by Brian Wilson and all we can do is find some way to knock it just because Mike Love sings a couple lines on it that Brian demoed himself earlier!  Shocked  Tongue  Cry  Undecided
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 06:26:12 PM »

This boggles my mind: Probably the greatest track on the greatest album of all time: in fact, one of the greatest songs/tracks/productions of all-time AS released by Brian Wilson and all we can do is find some way to knock it just because Mike Love sings a couple lines on it that Brian demoed himself earlier!  Shocked  Tongue  Cry  Undecided
w00t!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 06:44:13 PM »

I'm nto knocking the original. it made me decide it was the ebst song ever. Then I heard wt with the Brian bridge and I was happy to have that option. I usually listen to Pet Sounds on headphones in stereo, and Mono without headphones, and love both versions. It's a super tiny quibble.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 06:49:32 PM »

I'm so used to MIke singing it, even when I hear Brian sing it, it doesn't sound right HOWEVER, it's not my favorite Mike vocal, especially live. Doesn't seem to fit his voice. I love his voice on the album in general, That;s Not Me and the bridge to Sloop in particular.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »

I'm nto knocking the original. it made me decide it was the ebst song ever. Then I heard wt with the Brian bridge and I was happy to have that option. I usually listen to Pet Sounds on headphones in stereo, and Mono without headphones, and love both versions. It's a super tiny quibble.

Have you listened to the 5.1 version of Pet Sounds with headphones? Oh man! And the 5.1 has Brian on the WIBN bridge! So, we can nerd-out in agreement on the headphone thing  Razz

I think Mike on the WIBN bridge has a certain thing about it that I have always loved. The song just sounds so fantastic, so advanced, so like nothing else that it's almost possible for it to fly right over your head that it's even the Boys Boys, until Mike comes in on the bridge, and, I dunno, for me, it's an instant reminder that it IS The Beach Boys, the same group that did Surfin USA. I find that moment/feeling quite magical and it adds a certain extra factor there which helps sell the song's basic idea....

If that makes any sense.
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 08:36:34 PM »

I haven't! I wanted to get the Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin in 5.1 when it came out because it's still my favorite album, but didn't have a 5.1 setup. now that I do I'll have to get that and Pet Sounds.

Unrelated, but I would love to get a 5.1 release of the soundtrack from Akira. That would be wicked ill.

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »

Live, Mike is STILL singing it.     Which gives it authenticity among those "other" voices.  Which are quite good on the harmony.   I got chills hearing it this summer.  You would too.
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »

I can get why people like Mike on the bridge, what with the color of a different vocalist and whatnot. But I prefer Brian's take. There's the bit, as he's singing "think and wish and hope and pray," where he sounds just ever so slightly softer and more delicate, and for me it just imparts the message better than Mike's take.

That said, whenever I listen to the mono mix, the difference doesn't stand out as much to me.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »

Totally Mike on the bridge.  And, most importantly, don't forget, that's the way Brian decided he wanted it.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:56 PM »

Brian all the way. Brian's voice is so smoooooth!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

plus his nasal domination on the Bridge just doesn't work for me in that song. Needs moar Wilsons.

I love your usage of the "Nasal Domination" term that I have given the Lovester. Glad it worked its way into your verb-age (or that you share such verb-age)! For the uninitiated in the true Nasal Domination montage:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9285.0.html
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 10:56:20 PM by DSamore » Logged
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 10:52:45 PM »

^^
I know I was ripping off the turn of phrase in that title. I want it to spread, because he has his moments and usually they rock, I just don't dig it in Wouldn't It Be Nice quite as much as I like the Wilson voices, because they're more cohesive mainly and I wdon't want a thing jarring abotu Wouldn't it be Nice. Even the opening drum note, whcih would seem jarring,l really isn't. it's exciting.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 11:07:33 PM »

I want The Beach Boys Love You 5.1 -- or at least a 5.1 "Ding Dang"!
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »

I want The Beach Boys Love You 5.1 -- or at least a 5.1 "Ding Dang"!
I like the way you think.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 08:06:28 AM »

Mike sings it fine. No problem here. I also thought he did a very nice take on the "I'm Waiting for the Day" vocal from the boxset.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »

Mike sings it fine. No problem here. I also thought he did a very nice take on the "I'm Waiting for the Day" vocal from the boxset.

I think the "I'm Waiting for the Day" Mike vocal is too nasally for my tastes. And for a perfectionist like Brian, it's no wonder he threw it out.

Also, his stupid hilarious backing vocals kinda distract from the track too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:34:06 AM by Curtis Leon » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx