gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 09:42:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So Sad About BB's Career After "Smile" Incident :'[  (Read 38191 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:56 AM »

The Beach Boys career rocked after Smile with wild honey and friends. Also, 20/20 is awesome with the hoge-poge of tracks and styles. Sunflower is a great group effort and the unreleased stuff from the sunflower project is also another album. I think surf's up is pretty good, as it being Brian's swansong before the madness of the later 1970s began. But the main seliing point of this era were the rocking live shows which began the process of reviving the band's popularity.

The first beach boys albums I bought were Today/summer days and sunflower/surf's up.

That is a valid point about the live shows...as I look back on that time, it seemed as though (in their home - the US) they could never win.  Yet, they toured, and I guess in a way, it was a forum where they could not lose, and at the same time, they stayed in the game, as it were, fighting a battle where they could win!  

So, regardless of the many critics who passed them by, they changed the battlefield from the newspapers, who pay their critics, or who may have been subject to other influences, and to the live context and solidified a live fan base.  Even if some shows we're not sellouts, they showed determination, to keep the music out there. Lots of groups just became discouraged and quit.  It takes a lot to get out onstage and do a great show to half a house!  But those fans, passed the word about what a great show they still put on.  They kept their dignity despite the critics.

To answer the posed question, I never stopped listening, but got into a groove of playing Pet Sounds, Holland/So Tough, Surf's Up, Beach Boys '69, and 20/20...especially when they were out on 8 track, double album...

Some of this belongs a thread below*
They did win the live battle and won new fans that are loyal to this day. Rocking 8 track collection. Thumbs Up

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:41 AM »

To me Pink Floyd's peak was their first album.

Jon: LIKE.

My favorite BB stuff is post-SMILE: "Can't Wait Too Long," "Time To Get Alone," "I Went To Sleep," FRIENDS, etc.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 06:41:20 AM »

dude... you really need to realize that your opinion is not fact, and is not shared by every other Beach Boys fan.
Seriously.. pitiful in denial creatures.(Some of you)..(Those who aren't shouldn't take offense.)
Bedtime for you littleguy 562, maybe switch over to the Justin Bieber message boards tomorrow....

Only those message boards that specifically deal with his output up to and including 'U Smile', of course. Everything after that is balls.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 07:32:15 AM »

Those of us who haunt the few remaining record stores run into these guys all the time.  Having just had their eyes opened to a wider universe, they become very strident about what they do know.  Once you recognize that it becomes a parlor game you can walk away from.  It can be funny (i.e., the "which Star Wars movie is best" argument in "Clerks"), or it can lead to bar fights. 

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 07:43:00 AM »

^ And in this case, Bossaroo speaks for me too.
I speak for you too.. now calm your ass down! lol

Some of the posters, here, have such passion for a lot of the unnoticed and highly criticized work post Pet Sounds.  That said, sometimes you never know what your real masterpiece is for awhile.  On The Union movie, after Brian is taped for the Elton-Leon CD/DVD, Leon tells how, Brian taught the guys how to sing each part in the studio, going around in a circle, singing, repeatedly until each guy knew his part.  Leon marveled at the technique, which reminded me of old parochial school "drill-and-practice." See this film.  This is a pro (Leon Russell) who sat at the piano and watched Brian train the Boys.

Later, Elton talks about how he had told Michael Jackson about trying to "top" Thriller.  That he could probably do good or great work, but the commercial success (which MJ cared about) might not be replicated.  Elton says he told him that he probably could not do it, and should not let money be a prime motivation.  

Here, I think the fact that it was not released, added to the myth, where it took on a life of its' own. We're looking backwards, now.  

A lot of what was written, post Pet Sounds, was not just for the point of "outdoing" a masterpiece, because, Pet Sounds was one of the biggest. "sleepers" of all time, not unlike Smile, but, being contemporaneous with the social issues of the time.  And the desire for peace which was on eveyone's mind with the war and the 3 assassinations.  

Too bad some of you passionate posters were not 60's and 70's kids.  

We sure could have used the help!   Love

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 09:00:11 AM »

He is attempting to start a sh*t fight.. Why does this board constantly attract people like that? At least with other antagonists they had a little more IP.
they jumped right into my boobytrap  LOL...
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 09:00:52 AM »

To me Pink Floyd's peak was their first album.

You'd better be kidding.

Wish You Were Here and Animals are incredible, masterpieces.
Animals is an beautiful piece of art Smiley & also haves one of the best looking album covers ever made.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »

He is attempting to start a sh*t fight.. Why does this board constantly attract people like that? At least with other antagonists they had a little more IP.
Jokes on you and don't even realise it...Laugh out Loud!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2012, 09:22:59 AM »

To me the Beach Boys did what a lot of great bands have done. They create their masterpiece and are unsure how to top it. So they go a different direction often going back to basics or changing style. After Sgt Pepper and MagMystTour the Beatles went back to basics for the most part with the WA. Radiohead didn't think they could beat OKComp doing the same type thing so they did KidA/Amnesiac then went back to basics with Hail to the Thief. U2 switched gears with Pop.

Brian went back to basics with Smiley/WH/Friends, which are anti commercial but artistically brilliant. I think the Beach Boys continued to do great things through Holland. Love You was also great in the context of musical genius in rehab. Smiley
but when radiohead went back to the basics it worked for them it wasnt a complete flop and the music actually sounded much better :] and the same goes for magical mystery tour..
smiley? as weird as it is i love that f*ckin album...wh? different but for the most part i love the fact that the beach boys did an "R&B" album lol..and friends? ehhhh...holland? the most over-rated album for the group and love you...idk where to start with the massacre
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:25:34 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2012, 09:24:46 AM »

^ And in this case, Bossaroo speaks for me too.
I speak for you too.. now calm your ass down! lol

Some of the posters, here, have such passion for a lot of the unnoticed and highly criticized work post Pet Sounds.  That said, sometimes you never know what your real masterpiece is for awhile.  On The Union movie, after Brian is taped for the Elton-Leon CD/DVD, Leon tells how, Brian taught the guys how to sing each part in the studio, going around in a circle, singing, repeatedly until each guy knew his part.  Leon marveled at the technique, which reminded me of old parochial school "drill-and-practice." See this film.  This is a pro (Leon Russell) who sat at the piano and watched Brian train the Boys.

Later, Elton talks about how he had told Michael Jackson about trying to "top" Thriller.  That he could probably do good or great work, but the commercial success (which MJ cared about) might not be replicated.  Elton says he told him that he probably could not do it, and should not let money be a prime motivation.  

Here, I think the fact that it was not released, added to the myth, where it took on a life of its' own. We're looking backwards, now.  

A lot of what was written, post Pet Sounds, was not just for the point of "outdoing" a masterpiece, because, Pet Sounds was one of the biggest. "sleepers" of all time, not unlike Smile, but, being contemporaneous with the social issues of the time.  And the desire for peace which was on eveyone's mind with the war and the 3 assassinations.  

Too bad some of you passionate posters were not 60's and 70's kids.  

We sure could have used the help!   Love

smile did top pet sounds as far as creativity Smiley ...pet sounds just sounds slightly prettier lol
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:16 AM »

that joke isnt funny..  Angry
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2012, 09:27:59 AM »

Neither are yours.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

i love songs like little bird, forever, busy doin nothing, till i die, breakaway etc

however, it has to be acknowledged alot more substandard music here as well, sure theres still some nuggets to be mined but theres alot more quantity of meh on the later stuff.

to be honest outside 'Pet Sounds, Here Today, SMiLE, Sunflower' the beach boys blew hot and cold over the course of an albums length - thats not to say there isnt any music thats incredible because there is, however i think there is a wider sliding scale of great - bad, quality - cheese or whatever you wanna call it

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »

Neither are yours.
I havent told any jokes
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

i love songs like little bird, forever, busy doin nothing, till i die, breakaway etc

however, it has to be acknowledged alot more substandard music here as well, sure theres still some nuggets to be mined but theres alot more quantity of meh on the later stuff.

to be honest outside 'Pet Sounds, Here Today, SMiLE, Sunflower' the beach boys blew hot and cold over the course of an albums length - thats not to say there isnt any music thats incredible because there is, however i think there is a wider sliding scale of great - bad, quality - cheese or whatever you wanna call it

I wish i would've came off the way you did and explained it like this. This is what i meant but i'm not great at explaining myself or typing out my thoughts :[...You are absolutely right if they don't understand this then there is something wrong with this message board.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:32:38 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:25 AM »

Well, I am just rolling on the floor laughing right now.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 09:32:58 AM »

LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »

LOL
No way out of this one by pretending to agree with me.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »

they jumped right into my boobytrap  LOL...
that joke isnt funny..  Angry
LOL
I won't go back & forth with you anymore ..there's no point so i'm going to end this with an .... Roll Eyes
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:35 AM »

they jumped right into my boobytrap  LOL...
that joke isnt funny..  Angry
LOL
I won't go back & forth with you anymore ..there's no point so i'm going to end this with an .... Roll Eyes
gosh why so serious lol

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

i kinda agree (in part)

its basically 2 bands

I wish i would've came off the way you did and explained it like this. This is what i meant but i'm not great at explaining myself or typing out my thoughts :[...You are absolutely right if they don't understand this then there is something wrong with this message board.

But why must everyone agree with your personal criteria for what constitutes a good album? Is it just because your personal criteria happens to coincide quite frequently with the established, conventional criteria? I would really like you to answer this last question in particular.
Paulos
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

NG = irksome little prick, I'm beggining to think that he's Ghost.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2012, 10:26:50 AM »

...everything sounded so low budget after smile Sad even though i loved it i'm still saddened that he didnt work with the wall of sound and create more mastrpieces

You've not heard an album called Sunflower, I take it.  Grin
That album was decent Smiley actually besides wild honey it's my favorite post smile album . Smiley..None of us fans can honestly say that the post smile material is what made us beach boy fans lol..we all know it's the pre-pet sounds and pet sounds and smile songs that really made us want 2 tap into the beach boys music. and really made us fanatics.

I can. It was the first time I heard "I Can Hear Music" that made me a fan.
Extremely hard to believe  Tongue it's a great song but you know "Wouldn't it be Nice" or "God only Knows"are the songs that made you a fan mister no need to front. Smiley

No front, it's the truth. I was in the attic when I was about 12, found a bag of my mum's old 45s and started playing them. One of them was I Can Hear Music. While I had undoubtedly heard I Get Around, Surfin' USA, Barbara Ann etc.. on the radio as a kid, this was the first instance of me really being aware that there was this band called "The Beach Boys" and of me choosing to listen to a song of theirs. It turned me into a fan but I must confess for years it was a causal "Greatest Hits" fan. Ironically, considering what you have gone on to post, it was hearing some of the Sunflower and Surf's Up tracks that turned me into a fanatic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:28:57 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2012, 10:34:22 AM »

May I add that I do agree with you that after Smile collasped, the albums were not as good as PS for a couple of years. I like them all from that period but for me it was only with 20/20 onwards that the 'Boys started hitting the bullseye again.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx