gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680914 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 08, 2024, 01:24:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys LIVE 1-hour concert on QVC tonight.  (Read 69443 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some actual samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me.

I betcha less people would've bought it, or they would've been confused. packaging it with the hits CD was genius because all the people wanting to buy the compilation end up buying the album along with it, it's great for album sales of TWGMTR.

Who knows? Maybe it was smart- maybe not. 14,000+ does sound like a pretty successful number. I just think that if you want me to buy a CD, then  it might just be a good idea to let me hear a little bit of what it sounds like first. Again, it just seemed kinda weird to me, but then I didn't really know what to expect from this show.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:22:30 AM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
dirwuf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2012, 10:21:35 AM »

...I agree about the video loop during the live show. It was cheesy and clearly put together by an intern.

Yeah, compare it to the great one The Monkees had last summer, on a much smaller-scale tour....
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

Thanks Ron for the link.

Why in the world is the audio so crappy?  Tweeting noise bugs me!

Can't wait to see the BOYS in Berkeley, CA!

I am still keeping my hopes up they will do Country Air or something else from WILD HONEY and something else from Sunflower!

Me too ... we need to start a 'Play Wild Honey songs in Berkeley petition' !

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »

I was also surprised that they didn't suggest the CD package as a possible Father's Day gift, which would seem like a natural, since that's only 12 days after the CD release. That might have even been part of Capitol's marketing strategy for the release date. There's a lot of dads out there that loves them some Beach Boys.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »

I think you both have good points. The thing that continues to mystify me is the release date of June 5th. You had the Sunday Morning TV show appearance - no new album out. The Fallon show was a great vehicle and jumpstart - no album out yet. The tour started and they're performing a new song - but no new album to sell at the concerts. And now the QVC spotlight - and you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get the album they're pushing.

The QVC hostess mentioned a few times how Memorial Day and The Beach Boys's music go so good together. Yeah, it would've been cool to play the new album over the Memorial Day weekend. Well, I guess all those people watching QVC will have to tune in for the Sirrius radio special - or play Sounds Of Summer. Missed opportunities... 

Gotta agree here.  They no doubt have some considerable momentum working behind them right now.  It's just a total shame that the album isn't out for another two weeks.  If anything, they're doing a great job promoting that they're out on tour.  They don't have too many more appearanes in the near future, Leno..the PBS special...the Sirius performance...they can regain some momentum again to push the release but I really wish they would have timed this all just a little bit tighter.  
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »

I was also surprised that they didn't suggest the CD package as a possible Father's Day gift, which would seem like a natural, since that's only 12 days after the CD release. That might have even been part of Capitol's marketing strategy for the release date. There's a lot of dads out there that loves them some Beach Boys.

they did...mike even joked about christmas

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »

My Mom already thought of that and guess what I'm getting for Father's Day?  'Course, I'll have it in my hands way before that....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:45:23 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

they did...mike even joked about christmas

Oops! My bad if I missed it. I remember them talking about Christmas gifts, but I thought that was absurd given the timing.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2012, 11:25:08 AM »

I think you both have good points. The thing that continues to mystify me is the release date of June 5th. You had the Sunday Morning TV show appearance - no new album out. The Fallon show was a great vehicle and jumpstart - no album out yet. The tour started and they're performing a new song - but no new album to sell at the concerts. And now the QVC spotlight - and you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get the album they're pushing.

The QVC hostess mentioned a few times how Memorial Day and The Beach Boys's music go so good together. Yeah, it would've been cool to play the new album over the Memorial Day weekend. Well, I guess all those people watching QVC will have to tune in for the Sirrius radio special - or play Sounds Of Summer. Missed opportunities... 

Gotta agree here.  They no doubt have some considerable momentum working behind them right now.  It's just a total shame that the album isn't out for another two weeks.  If anything, they're doing a great job promoting that they're out on tour.  They don't have too many more appearanes in the near future, Leno..the PBS special...the Sirius performance...they can regain some momentum again to push the release but I really wish they would have timed this all just a little bit tighter. 

You realize you're talking about the Beach Boys, right?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

haha yup...I supposed in the grand scheme of things they're doing monumentally well considering the alternatives!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:51 AM »

I'm really glad I discovered this board.  I'm sorry to be negative on my first post, but I sincerely believe the Boys are the most significant American pop/rock artists.  I was at the first Beacon concert and was it an amazing experience.  But I don't understand why they constantly diminish themselves.  Do their peers like McCartney, the Stones or Springsteen shill records on QVC?  Could you imagine Paul Simon, or Daltry and Townshend doing that?  And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?  Don't they realize the national treasure that are entrusted with presenting?  At the first Beacon show, my  first BB show in 25, I was really distracted by the Stamos antics .  When I saw McCartney at Citifield, he brought Billy Joel on stage for one song.  It would be one thing for the BBs to have a major artist on stage as a guest - heck, why not invite McCartney?  But instead they lower themselves by encouraging this 4th rate Stamos clown to make a fool of himself?   One more thing, why is the video showing during the concert so lame?  As Dennis once said in an interview, the BBs were constantly being filimed.  They must have hours of unseen film clips and tons of photos they could have compiled for the background screen if they wanted to make the effort.  Contrast this with the effort McCartney's team put into his background screen, which was fantastic, including film of the Band on the Run cover shoot.   The BBs with Brian are my favorite group - I'm just sorry that they don't seem to appreciate their own status as icons.      

Brian already appeared on QVC hawking his "Live at the Roxy" CD several years ago.  They can't exactly claim to be superior to the outlet considering their resident genius already appeared on it.  There are no other places they're going to get an hour of TV time like that.  If VH1 still played music, they might have had a chance to get a special to hawk their CD free of charge and have had an hour to perform.  I'm sure they or Capitol paid to get placement on QVC.  I don't think it's anymore degrading than Paul McCartney releasing an album through Starbucks.  What was even more humiliating for Paul is that there were stories circulating that several Starbucks baristas were complaining that they had to listen to Paul's "lousy" new album all day long.  At least the Beach Boys aren't forcing themselves on anybody by appearing on QVC, and they may have gained themselves a new audience of paying customers.  Many people never watch QVC, so they didn't harm themselves among people who didn't even know they were on.  

As for Kimmel, that was also a chance to get more extended exposure than they would have on Letterman.  Jimmy let them do a show-opening song, had them on the couch, then let them do two songs at the end.  He's obviously a fan and perhaps his show made an extra effort to get them and give them maximum time.  If they went on Letterman, they'd get one song at the end and maybe Dave would talk to them for a few seconds.  I haven't watched Letterman in years because all he does is mostly a lot of lame comedy bits and very perfunctory interviews, and very brief musical performances.  His ratings haven't been that great, either.  They will be on Leno, who has better ratings than Letterman.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:16 AM »

Just a note, I've looked through QVC's programming schedule for the next three weeks, and it doesn't appear they will be repeating this performance.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »

As for Kimmel

Fallon
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »

I haven't watched Letterman in years because all he does is mostly a lot of lame comedy bits and very perfunctory interviews, and very brief musical performances.  His ratings haven't been that great, either.  They will be on Leno, who has better ratings than Letterman.

Let's not be too proud of Leno's high ratings---if anything it goes to show just what desperate measures people will take for "comedy" these days---but I digress.  The general format for a late night talk show doesn't bode well for music fans.  Bands are there to play their song and sell their CD, not sit down and have a VH1 Songwriters segment.  If Dave loves the music guest enough, they might squeeze in a very short sit-down at the end of the show but time restraints do not guarantee that.  Fallon is the exception because he's younger and more willing to tamper with the format.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:45:20 AM by Justin » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2012, 11:44:06 AM »

...I agree about the video loop during the live show. It was cheesy and clearly put together by an intern.

Yeah, compare it to the great one The Monkees had last summer, on a much smaller-scale tour....

The difference is that the Monkees had Andrew Sandoval putting that together, and that the Monkees had their own TV series and feature film, so they had something like 30 hours of professionally shot video (not counting outtakes), all the rights to which are controlled by a single entity, to draw from, much of which had already been designed for those songs.

With the BBs, by contrast, there'd be rights clearances for what footage there is -- you'd have to contact dozens of different organisations and get their permission. And on top of that there'd be the rather obvious point that the people in the video would be different people to those on stage. There's never before been a time when those five people have all performed together, so the show would be full of video clips with no Brian or David, and sometimes no Bruce. They're trying to make the Beach Boys look like a band and minimise the lineup changes. Showing footage which would feature nine different people in various combinations, only five of whom were on stage and in a different combination from whatever footage was being shown, would go against that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:44 AM »

And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?   
You've obviously never watched the show.  Jimmy Fallon is the best late night talk show host currently on television.  Letterman is funny sometimes but he's worn out his shtick and Leno's just plain awful.  Fallon has a very humble approach, is very charismatic, has a relationship with his audience, plus he has The Roots who are just amazing.  He's also more popular than Letterman or Leno.  So what you're saying is merely based on your own personal opinion.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »

I've never seen one of these Q Sessions shows before, but I was surprised that they didn't play some actual samples from the new CD since that's what they were selling. Just seems kind of weird to me. It's not as if  it doesn't sound good. Maybe that would have been considered too sell-y or huckster-like (yeah- those probably aren't real words), and they didn't want to go there? Definitely enjoyed the free mini-concert  though. It was cool that it was so inclusive for all 5 members.

I bet the majority of QVC viewers (like the majority of Americans as a whole) are casual fans and were more interested in the greatest hits bonus CD than in the new CD.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 17, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »

And if the BBs want to do late-night for promo reasons, why appear on third-rate Fallon instead of Letterman?   Why does their management make these kinds of choices?   
You've obviously never watched the show.  Jimmy Fallon is the best late night talk show host currently on television.  Letterman is funny sometimes but he's worn out his shtick and Leno's just plain awful.  Fallon has a very humble approach, is very charismatic, has a relationship with his audience, plus he has The Roots who are just amazing.  He's also more popular than Letterman or Leno.  So what you're saying is merely based on your own personal opinion.

Also, Fallon has a very young viewership: teens, college students, 20-somethings. They don't tend to watch TV shows when they're on, right? They DVR them or watch online later. So ratings aren't really accurate. The fact that the BBs were on for pretty much the whole show was a big deal. And the fact that Fallon said the BBs were cool was a big deal. His fans just adore him, and they'll watch the clips later, Tweet them, etc. Leno would have had the guys on but probably not gushed about their music or given them much time. Leno is unfunny and in my opinion comes across as less than genuine toward his guests. Fallon is the opposite.
Though I'm not sure Fallon is the best talk show host in the U.S. That honor might go to Craig Ferguson.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #243 on: May 17, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

Is Brian officially banned from Letterman? He used to go on there all the time. But he has never returned since the horrific night he "sat in with the band". Clearly, Brian didn't want to do it, and he let his handlers know it with perhaps his worst television appearance ever ("The View" is a close second).
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:09 PM »

Is Brian officially banned from Letterman? He used to go on there all the time. But he has never returned since the horrific night he "sat in with the band". Clearly, Brian didn't want to do it, and he let his handlers know it with perhaps his worst television appearance ever ("The View" is a close second).

Wow I don't remember either one of those.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:51 PM »

Brian sat in with Paul and the band?  Brian was on The View? 

Where was I?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

Here's The View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFNUMYd79k

Never saw this.
Landlocked
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 17, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

Me neither. I'd kill to see him sitting in with Letterman's band, though! Anyone have a link? I don't see it on Youtube.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #248 on: May 17, 2012, 12:40:20 PM »

Me neither. I'd kill to see him sitting in with Letterman's band, though! Anyone have a link? I don't see it on Youtube.

I tape every Beach Boys appearance but this one was so bad I actually erased it. That's how uncomfortably bad it was.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »

Here's The View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQFNUMYd79k

Never saw this.

Thanks for that!  Not as bad as I was expecting.  What was so bad...?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx