gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680978 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 11, 2024, 03:27:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What will happen to Brian's band  (Read 11804 times)
brucejohnstonfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »

Meaning that Mike sees the touring Beach Boys as a show that must go on ; would the wheels keep rolling without Mike ?
I recall an interview--couple years ago now, maybe?--when Mike said he could envision a Beach Boyless "Beach Boys" touring. Unless I'm imagining that. (But I don't think I am.) And for my two cents, I see no heresy in such a thing whatsoever. Some people go to see the people themselves, but others go to hear the music and see a great show. If that's the case, once the guys hang it up, why not have an officially sanctioned entity? Again, I realize some people would have no interest in such a thing. But others would.

The Four Freshmen are still performing and I'm gonna assume all the original passed long ago.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 06:54:46 PM »

I saw in "Goldmine" that Bob Flanigan of the Four freshmen passed May 15 at 82.  Ross Barbour is the last living member but doesn't perform at 82.  Flanigan last performed in '92 though he was involved with the hiring and such. So the touring group has been without originals for some time it would seem.

I'm no Blooie, but I just have to say how much I love Brian's band.  They've been so major in bringing us a rejuvenated Brian Wilson and inspired, impeccable performances of his music.  They are simply a great *band*.  And an important chapter in the Brian Wilson story.  Staying together regardless of Brian's physical presence (visualizing Brian happily retired!) as mentioned is not without precedence.  I'll add the Ellington Orchestra, Sun Ra's Arkestra.  Oh, and like Beethoven and stuff.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »

I agree completely! I have a lot of problems with Brian's band when you start comparing them with the Beach Boys, but as their own distinct unit and as a real band that backs up Brian: they're unbeatable!
pancakerecords
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

The Sensational Alex Harvey band still performs, sans the late Mr. Harvey.

"Alright, I wanna ask you something - he's not getting a very big signal.  Do you think it would be good to move the mic a little bit closer?"
                                                                                           -Van Dyke Parks
oldsurferdude
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 07:11:41 PM »

The Glen Miller Orchestra still tours. Why not the BB when the day comes?
Ugh, with all due respect I personally don't think that's a good idea. You only have to look to The Drifters or the Coasters or one of those groups that tour in splinters now, with different members doing different things, to see how it destroys a group's credibility. A touring BB without any originals destroys, IMHO, the credibility of the group and is just a tarnish of the name. All of this boils down to opinion, but the Be-atles probably had it best when they agreed, I think when they were still formed, that they wouldn't reform without all four members present. In Hari's words: "We aren't going to get Dave Gilmour or Roger Waters and call ourselves the Be-atles."
You nailed it! Pirate High Five Happy Dance w00t! Thumbs Up High Five
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »

I agree, but to put yourself in the shoes of guys in bands who aren't the main guys: you have to give them some slack in wanting to keep playing and being out there keeping the name of their bands alive! It might be embarrassing sometimes or reek of money-grubbing, but most of the time, guys who backed up the singers/songwriters for decades through thick and thin (even before any sort of success or fame) generally get the crap end of the stick $$$-wise and can very often be dead broke while their former bandmates are sitting on piles of money.... I'm not saying I deny when such a thing frankly sucks and is silly, but it helps to have some respect and compassion for these guys!

BTW, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright did damn well without Roger. Not as good, but damn well.

Oh, and oldsurferdude: you are aware Mike is an original member of The Beach Boys, right?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »

I agree, but to put yourself in the shoes of guys in bands who aren't the main guys: you have to give them some slack in wanting to keep playing and being out there keeping the name of their bands alive! It might be embarrassing sometimes or reek of money-grubbing, but most of the time, guys who backed up the singers/songwriters for decades through thick and thin (even before any sort of success or fame) generally get the crap end of the stick $$$-wise and can very often be dead broke while their former bandmates are sitting on piles of money.... I'm not saying I deny when such a thing frankly sucks and is silly, but it helps to have some respect and compassion for these guys!

BTW, David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright did damn well without Roger. Not as good, but damn well.

Oh, and oldsurferdude: you are aware Mike is an original member of The Beach Boys, right?
Whoa!!!!! You are a walking BB encyclopedia-wiki-Man, I never in a million years would have  known   that-you have my eternal gratitude. Any other facts about the band I should know about??? Wink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 07:57:36 PM »

Yeah, you should know that Mike had talent and is basically one half of what we know as the Beach Boys: there's really just Brian and Mike! There's the melancholy emotion of the Beach boys and there's the outgoing fun side. Brian and Mike represented both of those sides with the other guys tying it all together. Yes Carl and Dennis are awesome, but they basically stepped in and held up Brian's end when he stepped back. You can hate Mike all you want but he is pretty much one entire half of what The Beach Boys are.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 09:13:25 PM »

Yeah, you should know that Mike had talent and is basically one half of what we know as the Beach Boys: there's really just Brian and Mike! There's the melancholy emotion of the Beach boys and there's the outgoing fun side. Brian and Mike represented both of those sides with the other guys tying it all together. Yes Carl and Dennis are awesome, but they basically stepped in and held up Brian's end when he stepped back. You can hate Mike all you want but he is pretty much one entire half of what The Beach Boys are.

Not even.  had you said 1/4 you might have some leeway. But 1/2?  Don't think you'll have too many followers. Mike is nowhere near half the BBs. He definitely has/had talent. He definitely keeps the band on the road, and he's a good front man.( the best one for the BBs) but still, nowhere near half

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »

I just mean half conceptually/sensibility-wise. I don't mean to imply he has even half the talent as Brian, but as far as the yin yang of what The Beach Boys are: Mike is half!
Jason
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2011, 10:24:25 PM »

I just mean half conceptually/sensibility-wise. I don't mean to imply he has even half the talent as Brian, but as far as the yin yang of what The Beach Boys are: Mike is half!

The old "you can lead a jackass to water but you can't make him drink" adage comes to mind with this argument; I wholeheartedly agree with you.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »

there's really just Brian and Mike! There's the melancholy emotion of the Beach boys and there's the outgoing fun side. Brian and Mike represented both of those sides

but as far as the yin yang of what The Beach Boys are: Mike is half!

Y'know, the problem I always have with this argument -- eloquently put by Mr. Love himself in the Endless Harmony doc -- is that it ignores the fact that Brian had just as much to do with "Surfin' U.S.A," "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Little Deuce Coupe" as Mike did. Arguably more in some cases. And it ignores the fact that Mike wrote lyrics to "Warmth of the Sun," and most of "Let the Wind Blow" and "All I Wanna Do."

I won't deny that personality and vocal-wise, Mike and Brian compare and contrast neatly. But they _each_ were tuned into the fun and melancholy, and to say otherwise diminishes both.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:47:23 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2011, 12:53:39 AM »

Well, as far as the particular Mike quote you speak of: I have to agree with it!

I'm talking about the big picture rather than the fine print! Yes, Mike and Brian overlapped wonderfully. All the guys did. But it's just something about the two distinct personalities/sensibilities of Brian and Mike that, in my opinion, defines what the Beach Boys are as far as what the strongest most visible impression is.

I don't know why this angers so many people. It's funny how anyone can sit there and accuse the frontman, co-lead singer, frequent lyric writer for monster hit songs, of one of the biggest most important bands of all time as being anything less than half of what the band is at it's basic core.

It's not all about who wrote what all the time. The basic DNA of the Beach Boys is Brian's (and the other guy's) emotive falsetto vocals matched with Mike's punkish nasal leads and bass vocals. That's the basic SOUND of the band. That unique contrast defined and carried The Beach Boys into the position they arrived in..... Yes, there was a lot of wonderful overlap, but I'm talking about the basics.... And as far as that goes, Mike is half responsible for what we know as The Beach Boys!

OK, I'm gonna go find a deserted island to swim off to now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:54:44 AM by Erik H » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2011, 05:03:52 AM »

Well, as far as the particular Mike quote you speak of: I have to agree with it!

I'm talking about the big picture rather than the fine print! Yes, Mike and Brian overlapped wonderfully. All the guys did. But it's just something about the two distinct personalities/sensibilities of Brian and Mike that, in my opinion, defines what the Beach Boys are as far as what the strongest most visible impression is.

I don't know why this angers so many people. It's funny how anyone can sit there and accuse the frontman, co-lead singer, frequent lyric writer for monster hit songs, of one of the biggest most important bands of all time as being anything less than half of what the band is at it's basic core.

It's not all about who wrote what all the time. The basic DNA of the Beach Boys is Brian's (and the other guy's) emotive falsetto vocals matched with Mike's punkish nasal leads and bass vocals. That's the basic SOUND of the band. That unique contrast defined and carried The Beach Boys into the position they arrived in..... Yes, there was a lot of wonderful overlap, but I'm talking about the basics.... And as far as that goes, Mike is half responsible for what we know as The Beach Boys!

OK, I'm gonna go find a deserted island to swim off to now.
No, no-stay right where you are and keep feeding me more info about the BBs that I already knew before and how Myke is one half of the BBs-you know, interesting stuff like that, More please. Wall Transcendental Meditation Wall Transcendental Meditation Head Spin Thud Kool-Aid Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »

Well, if you know it: embrace it!! Gold lame n all  Azn
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx