gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680955 Posts in 27623 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 10, 2024, 08:54:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reminder: Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck are on Jimmy Fallon's Show Tonight  (Read 31202 times)
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »

I'm not sure why "Our Prayer" is considered such an impressive piece of music. It's super-short, it's simple, and it's not that original-sounding. It's a faux Gregorian chant. I don't think it shows off vocals that well, especially since part of is closed-mouth humming. I wish they would have chosen different pieces of music than that or "Danny Boy." Oh, well.

Yeah, it's time to strike a blow against the tyranny of "Our Prayer."

Personally, I think ice cream is BULLSHIT. Really good steaks are only popular because of hipsters.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 10:51:44 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2013, 11:17:50 AM »

Yea, screw ice cream!!!

I am a fan of Katy Perry, especially the Teenage Dream album, the first 6 tracks are strong, and there are a couple more near the end which are great. I think it's all about one's taste. It's verrrry pop, but it stands out due to the arrangements and her powerful voice. She's one of the few pop stars that actually can bring it when the songs are performed live.

As for their mics being muted, I think we all remember the Jimmy Fallon performance of TWGMTR. Kinda rough. Brian's vocals that night were a little flat, and it's so silly because he could easily fix those vocals with a little more breath support, but with back issues, breath support become hard to provide. Aaaannd, I've gone way off topic. lol Excited for Tuesday's concert.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2013, 11:49:17 AM »

I'm not sure why "Our Prayer" is considered such an impressive piece of music. It's super-short, it's simple, and it's not that original-sounding. It's a faux Gregorian chant. I don't think it shows off vocals that well, especially since part of is closed-mouth humming. I wish they would have chosen different pieces of music than that or "Danny Boy." Oh, well.

1) If you think "Our Prayer" is simple you must have never analyzed the voice leading Brian worked out.
2) If you think it sounds like a "faux Gregorian chant" you either don't know the meaning of "faux" or you haven't a clue what features distinguish a Gregorian chant.
3) You wish they had done another song... woop dee doo.

I don't mean to be rude but sometimes it pays off to think before applying finger to keyboard.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

The elephant in the room is that Fallon seeming went out of his way not to introduce "original Beach Boys" Al and David. When Jimmy went on stage with the band at the end he makes eye contact with Al as he mentions Jeff and Brian again. Al almost shrugs his shoulders like "yeah Jimmy, you know we are original Beach Boys but we are legally being prevented from promoting ourselves as such".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2013, 12:14:51 PM »

Why everything.

Why does any of this exist? Why is Our Prayer being murdered by the abominable vocal blend of the BW band? Why are Al, Brian, and David muted in this performance? Why are they even there? I guess because of their names/faces. Why does Jeff Foskett have to always be so prominent in the blend, and why does he always sing so close to the mic? Why is this Jeff Beck thing happening? Since when does Brian have even the slightest interest in that kind of electric guitar playing? Why does everyone in music have to at some point cite Pet Sounds? Why is this good or desirable or cool when it happens? Why does it matter?

bro fuck you they done "danny boy" i herd from my dawg modesto there gonna do "happy birthday" and "let's all go to the lobby" next time you ignorant dotard i always wanted to hear jeff foskett featuring half the beach boys sing "happy birthday" and "let's all go to the lobby" with wild and crazy rock and roll guitarist you ignorant dotard i'm just glad to see an aging brian wilson sit on stage and stare at wild and crazy rock and roll guitarist sorta play one of his songs for four minutes followed by "shave and a haircut" encore you ignorant dotard
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:21:15 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »

1) If you think "Our Prayer" is simple you must have never analyzed the voice leading Brian worked out.
2) If you think it sounds like a "faux Gregorian chant" you either don't know the meaning of "faux" or you haven't a clue what features distinguish a Gregorian chant.

I don't mean to be rude but sometimes it pays off to think before applying finger to keyboard.

Woop dee doo to you and a couple of other people's opinions on this thread, too. I do think before applying finger to keyboard, unlike some people who are obsessed with kissing Brian Wilson's behind every waking moment of the day and going all Nazi-like to keep people in line on that opinion (and by definition are non-thinkers). What a bunch of charmers who try to bully everyone on this board who don't subscribe to the group-think of Brian IS GOD! Every turd he pushes out is gold.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »

Yep, he's the Rock-God who lays the golden turds. Yep, that's him. Wink

Woop dee doo to you and a couple of other people's opinions on this thread, too. I do think before applying finger to keyboard, unlike some people who are obsessed with kissing Brian Wilson's behind every waking moment of the day and going all Nazi-like to keep people in line on that opinion (and by definition are non-thinkers). What a bunch of charmers who try to bully everyone on this board who don't subscribe to the group-think of Brian IS GOD! Every turd he pushes out is gold.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »

I am certainly no Brianista and my point wasn't to blow sunshine up yer ass about all things Brian.

My point is your posts betrayed an ignorance on a number of things and I wanted to point them out - you know as a point of discussion (ie the kind of thing we tend to do here on a message board). My "woop dee doo" was my own little way of saying since your first two points made no legible sense to anyone with even a basic knowledge of music, who cares that you didn't like the selection.

Instead of getting all puffed up and offended and start throwing the "bully" card around, how about you refute what I said without the drama. Just a thought.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2013, 12:48:33 PM »

Naw, you heard him. You either hate "Our Prayer" or you're a blind, brainless Brian fanboy.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2013, 12:54:21 PM »

I still can't believe some of my Facebook "buddies" are calling this tour a waste of Jeff Beck, this is absolutely beautiful.

time to UNFRIEND them!   Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »

I think as long as we all promise not to be Nazi-like, this thread will turn out ok. Please: for the children. Never, ever go Nazi-like. Just try not to mention the war!

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:03:57 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »

I am certainly no Brianista and my point wasn't to blow sunshine up yer ass about all things Brian.

My point is your posts betrayed an ignorance on a number of things and I wanted to point them out - you know as a point of discussion (ie the kind of thing we tend to do here on a message board). My "woop dee doo" was my own little way of saying since your first two points made no legible sense to anyone with even a basic knowledge of music, who cares that you didn't like the selection.

Instead of getting all puffed up and offended and start throwing the "bully" card around, how about you refute what I said without the drama. Just a thought.

Oh, okay, so my "posts," not just that one, betray an "ignorance" about music. Uh huh.

Do you ever wonder why Brian plays to half-empty theaters on more than one of his tours? Or why a lot of his fans complain they can't convince their family and friends to be fans of the Beach Boys and Brian, that they somehow can't "convert" them to the cause? Maybe it's because either the music is so darn hi-falutin' or the fans of it are. We just can't get it. Oh, ignorant us. And I've even been in a couple of those half-full theaters. I guess I shouldn't have bothered, 'cause I'm too dumb to appreciate that Brian is on the level of Mozart and sooo over my head.

If you don't like my posts, or think they're "ignorant," then don't read 'em, dearie.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2013, 01:03:33 PM »

Hi Kitty Kat,

Just FYI and not meaning to jump on your post, Gregorian chant was typically just one line, with NO HARMONIES.  "Monophonic"meaning just one vocal part, and NO harmonization going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_chant
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:05:10 PM by A. Pismo Clam » Logged

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

Yeah, but that's only if you care about the MEANING of WORDS. Only a Brianista of the first rank would bother knowing what words mean before using them... Also, Cowsill sings "Wild Honey" really good and Al Jardine turned in French Resistance members.

Obviously this is about a lot more than "Our Prayer."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:13:32 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2013, 01:16:41 PM »

Doh! "Posts" was a typo. I meant "post".  Mea culpa. Shocked
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2013, 01:25:55 PM »

It's derivative of some type of church music, in any case. Look up "vocal harmony" on Wikipedia and it's discussed how church music evolved in later centuries to use complex chords and harmonies similar to those used in that brief song.  Gregorian chant is similar to what the Yardbirds used in "Still I'm Sad." In any case, it has the ring of the familiar, because it was based on forms of music that already existed. It also had a context in "Smile." I'm not sure it works as well outside of that context. It doesn't quite fit as an intro to "Danny Boy," IMO. I also don't think those two pieces of music are that accessible to common ignoramuses just tuning in and not familiar with Wilson or Beck. You know, folks like me.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »

It was a nice touch telling him to look up vocal harmony on wikipedia.

Thought it was really nice to hear on tv, how surreal to be happening in 2013. A shame they didn't have enough time for Surf's Up or a longer piece.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:56:39 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »

Brian has always said he writes based on the "feel" of the music. So, since Our Prayer was intended to evoke a sense of spirituality, it's not strange at all that it feels like "church music." Smile is Brian's teenage symphony to God, after all,  and Our Prayer is its hymn.

At this point in his career, Brian doesn't have to prove anything to the masses. He's made his mark in commercial music and anyone who wants to hear the hits can do so. I think he can afford to do what makes him happy, and this collaboration with Jeff might just be fun for him exactly because it's NOT expected or mainstream. Certainly, they won't draw the same crowds as the Beach Boys hit machine does, but I don't think that's the point.

Our Prayer to Danny Boy makes perfect sense, in that regard. The first song emphasizes Brian's mastery of vocal harmony arranging; the second is a familiar song made new by Jeff Beck's guitar virtuosity.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2013, 01:59:39 PM »

Thought it was really nice to hear on tv, how surreal to be happening in 2013. A shame they didn't have enough time for Surf's Up or a longer piece.

Looking back on how reluctant Brian was to playing Smile music, we fans truly are blessed: This is Brian Wilson singing 'Prayer' in 2013 on a Late Night show!!! It really is surreal.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »

A nice enough performance, but nothing that would make me go out of the way to see this pairing on tour. And not mentioning Al or David at all was not cool.
Nicko1234
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »

The elephant in the room is that Fallon seeming went out of his way not to introduce "original Beach Boys" Al and David. When Jimmy went on stage with the band at the end he makes eye contact with Al as he mentions Jeff and Brian again. Al almost shrugs his shoulders like "yeah Jimmy, you know we are original Beach Boys but we are legally being prevented from promoting ourselves as such".

I think it's more the fact that most people don't know who Al Jardine and David Marks are so you may as well just mention the stars. Obviously he could have mentioned them being original Beach Boys because Mike isn't exactly going to sue Jimmy Fallon over stating an indisputable fact.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2013, 03:03:06 PM »

When I first read "Danny Boy" was going to be done on the tour, I assumed it would be a Brian Wilson lead vocal. It dovetails with the story of Brian singing it to his grandma when he was a little boy and the song presumably has emotional significance to him.  There's a clip on YouTube of Mike Love bursting into tears when he talks about it. Brian himself brings up the grandma story from time to time. Even if he had to be doubled by Foskett to sing it, it would have been nice to have him sing at least part of the song, with lyrics.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »

There's no place for this stuff here. Whether it's my business or not, there is no justification to suggest people who liked or enjoyed the performance on Fallon are part of some group-think Brian Wilson cult that just posts random praise for the sake of promoting how great Brian Wilson is. There is a forum for that, it's colored blue. But that's not here. People are also allowed to like things as much as others may dislike them, but it really isn't necessary to try to demean them for doing either. That goes for all sides.

You know, there were some genuine assholes on the old Smile Shop, especially starting around 2005 or 2006 who started saying similar things when a poster would write something positive about music Brian had either performed or released. If this group of people didn't agree, that poster was a "Brianista" or worse. The funny thing is their attacks were often so removed from reality that it became laughable. And without naming names, it's too bad you weren't there to see what the notion of "online bullying" really looks like, when something as simple as posting how much you like a certain band leads to personal insults and the notion that liking that band is somehow wrong, going beyond the usual joking around or poking fun. Again, total asshole behavior. Over someone liking music, of all things a person could choose to be a jerk to another person about.

If someone liked the performance last night or didn't like it, let it go. My 2 cents.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2013, 03:46:59 PM »

I think it's more the fact that most people don't know who Al Jardine and David Marks are so you may as well just mention the stars. Obviously he could have mentioned them being original Beach Boys because Mike isn't exactly going to sue Jimmy Fallon over stating an indisputable fact.
Right, they don't know Al or David by sight. The reason musicians do these tv gigs is not for money but promotion. Mike is prohibiting the band from promoting themselves as original BB members.  You are naive to think Fallon wasn't told not to mention the BBs name as litigation is pending.

And if Fallon had introduced Brian,  Al and David as original members of the BBs, many viewers might think, wow, I am going to go see those guys. This is the essence of this latest court action. I imagine the goal being the new album supporting tour this summer with Blondie. They want to promote themselves as BBs.

But what a surprise that who, as usual, would appear to squabble with my post but good old Nicko.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:51:23 PM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »

About Gregorian chant...This may have been covered on Wikipedia, I didn't read it. But I got a pretty fascinating bit of history that I like telling my students who are studying harmony, and one of the few things I retained from what was an early-morning lecture course on early music history...most times I was either half asleep or worse when I stumbled in for the two-hour lectures.  Grin

Gregorian chant does have harmony, but only very limited and specific harmony. You'll only hear in traditional Gregorian chants the intervals of the perfect 4th or the perfect 5th. If you play guitar, that's the "power chord" sound. In melody, that's the "here comes the bride" notes for the 4th, and the Wizard of Oz chant "oh - we - oh" for the 5th. In Beach Boys terms, the Salt Lake City intro is sliding 4ths/5ths.

When the chants were developed, music was designated solely for sacred performance and use. You were literally not allowed under the church's rule to harmonize using intervals outside the 4ths and 5ths, in fact the "tri-tone" interval which forms a diminished chord, as well as the 7th chord (3rd plus flat 7th is the tritone), was called "diablo musica", or some variant. Rough translation: "devil's music". It was literally outlawed, if you were composing music and used that interval you could be punished for it.

This of course all changed as music and art transitioned out of the "Dark Ages".

And the type of harmony and chorale-style writing for voices developed using 3rds and tri-tone intervals, a technique perfected by Bach. That is perhaps the reason why most if not all music theory courses use Bach as the foundation of the course, in both analyzing and writing examples in that style in order to learn the technique. Of course some developments are studied that came before Bach, but I think it was his chorale writing that codified it.

So, the next time you hear a 7th chord or a diminished chord (as in God Only Knows), keep in mind that at one point in history writing or performing that chord was against the "law".  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx