gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680984 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 06:18:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's shouty vocals  (Read 21453 times)
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »

Nope it's fall 1974 the bootleg was misdated. I can't agree that he sounds anything but good there. He wasn't 20 anymore but if he kept this voice for another 20-25 years I don't think we would be having this discussion.

Hmm. Does that mean there ever WAS a '71 Rollin' Up to Heaven/Ding Dang?

I never would've guessed that this was '74, just judging from how similar Brian sounds to the Sunflower era. A frustrating problem is that Brian doesn't sing properly on the track. He just does background harmonies and that "Langa langa langa" part. If he only chose to sing something, it would be a lot easier to judge his vocals.
MBE
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »

No no 1971 version. Ding Dang was cut at the end of 1973 and Rollin Up in the fall of 1974. It is a little hard to say but he does keep saying the words Hard Time. He sounds like his old self to me.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:20 PM »

I forgot about that "langa langa langa" bit. I was going by the "hard time" phrase that he repeats. To me it sounds a little flat at times.

You know, for as much as the California Dreaming demo and Lucy Jones get talked about, it's interesting to note that they have not circulated in any way, shape or form. Hmmm....

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:01 PM »

You know, for as much as the California Dreaming demo and Lucy Jones get talked about, it's interesting to note that they have not circulated in any way, shape or form. Hmmm....

I know, right? I've always found that odd, considering what did circulate. I used "Fig Plucker" as an example earlier, which is freakin' hilarious now considering your sig! Seriously though, those are the 2 tracks I've been dying to hear for years, regardless of quality.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 12:23:10 AM »

I think it is Brian on the Doobie Do part myself. He sings high harmony of "Mess Of Help" but is mixed a bit low. "

Ohhh....the HIGH part. Yeah, that sounds like Brian. I'm currently messing around with some tracks in audition, and I can definitely hear him doing one of the "she don't know it" parts, still sounding like his Sunflower/Surf's Up. I'm actually working on a project...doing a compilation track of all of Brian's non-lead parts on So Tough and Holland, isolated. For someone who was allegedly inactive during that time, he sure did a lot more work than many people think...one odd thing I'm discovering is how all of his vocals from that period are "dry" in comparison to the others!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »

That sounds cool Billy. Let me know when you complete. Use the Spring LP too he has some great vocals. The end of Forever is my favorite on there.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 01:32:44 AM »

I know, right? I've always found that odd, considering what did circulate.
Especially Teardrops On My Bed.  One would think that the powers that be would see to it that a recording like that would never be heard. I would bet money that somebody got in trouble when it leaked. Not that I'm not greatful it has been circulated.  Razz

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »

Teardrops on my bed? Are you referring to "Drip Drop"?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2010, 01:46:09 AM »

Teardrops on my bed? Are you referring to "Drip Drop"?
Yes. It's a cover of a song, right? I'm not familiar with it. Is the correct name "Drip Drop"? The version I know of(not that I was looking into it or anything...) was titled Teardrops On My Bed.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2010, 02:19:56 AM »

Let's go mo'fos? Oh yeah, that's drip drop. originally done by Dion...at least was titled as such on the copy I came across ^_^

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 02:23:32 AM »

First off...this doesn't violate board terms...this is only a clip...

Brian on He Came Down. For the LONGEST time I thought this was Dennis. However, it's not, unless Dennis learned how to be in two places at once. Oddly, Brian sounds EXACTLY like he did in 1976, which makes one wonder.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yhpa04

Ok, Brian on Marcella. This was harder to isolate....Mike's vocals are still on there, but Brian's part is now in the middle ("what's in her head"), noticeably lower than what we are used to, but higher pitched than the above link. As a bonus, the doobie doobie part is isolated, but with a LOT of hiss and noise...I stand corrected...it's Brian.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9j2cv3
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:25:34 AM by Billy C » Logged

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2010, 02:25:51 AM »

I love his shouting the word: 'O-HI-HI-O!' on 15BO ('Back Home').

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2010, 02:49:11 AM »

How did you isolate those vocal parts Billy?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2010, 02:55:34 AM »

Trial & error, really. One rule of thumb, if you listen on head phones, he'll be on the left side. So, I removed the right channel, and cut out some other frequencies.

You need a mess of help...only Blondie, Carl, and Brian's vocals remain! Brian was ALL over this track...
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ahv5a4

Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:42 AM »

I think it is Brian on the Doobie Do part myself. He sings high harmony of "Mess Of Help" but is mixed a bit low. "

Ohhh....the HIGH part. Yeah, that sounds like Brian. I'm currently messing around with some tracks in audition, and I can definitely hear him doing one of the "she don't know it" parts, still sounding like his Sunflower/Surf's Up. I'm actually working on a project...doing a compilation track of all of Brian's non-lead parts on So Tough and Holland, isolated. For someone who was allegedly inactive during that time, he sure did a lot more work than many people think...one odd thing I'm discovering is how all of his vocals from that period are "dry" in comparison to the others!

Oh yes. With only the tracks and my ears I can hear him on a lot more than people credit him for. All of Sunflower and all of Surf's Up save for Student Demonstration Time, which I'm not sure of. He's also on the majority of Carl and the Passions, too. Can't hear him on the Blondie and Ricky tracks, but I can on everything else besides maybe Make it Good, which doesn't feature harmonies much at all. Maybe not on All This is That too, but I'm not sure. I think I can hear him...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2010, 07:48:43 AM »

All of Sunflower and all of Surf's Up save for Student Demonstration Time...

I don't hear him on "Lookin' At Tomorrow"  Roll Eyes  Not sure about "Tree" either, at least vocally.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2010, 07:57:50 AM »

He's on the tag to 'Tree' aint he?

Probs my fave tag ever Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 08:36:23 AM »

I always thought it was Brian singing the high yet mournful "Do do dooo do" on the tag of ADITLOAT.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

I don't hear him on "Lookin' At Tomorrow"  Roll Eyes  Not sure about "Tree" either, at least vocally.

I can hear him on the vocal blend in the tag to "Tree". And in the very sparse vocal harmonies on "Lookin' At Tomorrow too. Might not be him on the last one, though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »

I can hear him on the vocal blend in the tag to "Tree". And in the very sparse vocal harmonies on "Lookin' At Tomorrow too. Might not be him on the last one, though.

"Tomorrow" is a solo ACJ track.

According to the engineer, Brian isn't present on:

Long Promised Road
Student Demonstration Time
Lookin' At Tomorrow

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »

Oh yes. With only the tracks and my ears I can hear him on a lot more than people credit him for. All of Sunflower and all of Surf's Up save for Student Demonstration Time, which I'm not sure of. He's also on the majority of Carl and the Passions, too. Can't hear him on the Blondie and Ricky tracks, but I can on everything else besides maybe Make it Good, which doesn't feature harmonies much at all. Maybe not on All This is That too, but I'm not sure. I think I can hear him...

So far, those are the only cuts I don't hear Brian on. He's on most of Holland also.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »

Really? For Holland I count Steamboat, California (both tiny bits), Funky Pretty... and thats it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »

He's also on the majority of Carl and the Passions, too. Can't hear him on the Blondie and Ricky tracks, but I can on everything else besides maybe Make it Good, which doesn't feature harmonies much at all. Maybe not on All This is That too, but I'm not sure. I think I can hear him...

Brian's not on either of the 'Flame' tracks, nor "Make It Good" (no other BB on that at all aside from Dennis) or "All This Is That" - so that's half the album - and I'm not at all convinced about "Cuddle Up" either.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »

"Tomorrow" is a solo ACJ track.

According to the engineer, Brian isn't present on:

Long Promised Road
Student Demonstration Time
Lookin' At Tomorrow
Desper's a great source but in The Lost BB, David Marks claims Brian did the ba-ba-bas on "Long Promised Road," on the floor no less.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »

He's also on the majority of Carl and the Passions, too. Can't hear him on the Blondie and Ricky tracks, but I can on everything else besides maybe Make it Good, which doesn't feature harmonies much at all. Maybe not on All This is That too, but I'm not sure. I think I can hear him...

Brian's not on either of the 'Flame' tracks, nor "Make It Good" (no other BB on that at all aside from Dennis) or "All This Is That" - so that's half the album - and I'm not at all convinced about "Cuddle Up" either.

People always make the point about Brian not being on much of CATP but due to the fragmented way it was put together there's possibly only one or two tracks that feature the ENTIRE lineup performing. The only constant throughout the record is Carl. Mike and Al have nothing to do with the Dennis or Flame songs. Dennis is not on the Flame stuff or as far as I can gather on "All this is that". It's almost like a bunch of solo artists.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx