gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680934 Posts in 27621 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 09, 2024, 01:01:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters!  (Read 572248 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2100 on: September 26, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »

Since I personally thought it sounded VERY phasy, here's the Help Me, Rhonda Stereo Extraction mix

'Chug, Chug, Chug...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-zCSv_ll0&feature=youtu.be

The piano solo is so phasey that it sounds like an intentional psychedelic effect.  Otherwise the thing is not too phasey but it certainly is not how I would mix it in order to hear everything clearly. 
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 26, 2012, 02:11:56 PM »

A shame that the tracks on 50 Big Ones aren't the new mixes. So, "Darlin'" is a remix though, but what's the second track that's a new remix?

It's always fun to see how artists or their estate holders change their opinions on a band's catalog every time they release a new compilation (ex. Yoko Ono releasing new Lennon compilations, etc.)

Missing Tracks From Sounds of Summer:

- Be True To Your School
- Come Go With Me

28 of 30 tracks from that compilation are included on 50 Big Ones.

Missing Tracks From Warmth of The Sun:

- Hawaii
- Then I Kissed Her
- Let Him Run Wild
- Disney Girls
- Break Away
- Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Feel Flows
- Till I Die
- Cool, Cool Water
- Don't Go Near The Water
- California Dreamin'

16 of the 28 tracks from that compilation are included on 50 Big Ones.

New Additions:

- Add Some Music To Your Day
- Cottonfields
- I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
- Isn't It Time
- That's Why God Made The Radio
- This Whole World

28 tracks from Sounds of Summer plus 16 tracks from Warmth of the Sun plus 6 other tracks = 50 Big Ones

Also, the new "Greatest Hits" single-disc compilation is an absolute joke. 18 of those 20 tracks are on Sounds of Summer. The only bonus is "All Summer Long" and the new single.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 26, 2012, 02:18:57 PM »

A shame that the tracks on 50 Big Ones aren't the new mixes. So, "Darlin'" is a remix though, but what's the second track that's a new remix?

Wild Honey is now stereo

It also includes the new stereo mixes of 'Do You Wanna Dance, Barbara Ann, When I Grow Up, Heroes And Villains and the Sinlge Version of Isn't it Time, so thats 7 new mixes overall.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

So, the remasters aren't available yet on Spotify in the United States. If you click the playlist that was posted here, all of the tracks are sourced from older stuff that was already available on Spotify. However, the 2009 remasters that are on there of Surf's Up and Sunflower should be the legit remasters that we end up hearing given that the new releases of both those albums use those tracks.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 26, 2012, 02:29:27 PM »

Since I personally thought it sounded VERY phasy, here's the Help Me, Rhonda Stereo Extraction mix

'Chug, Chug, Chug...'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69-zCSv_ll0&feature=youtu.be

The piano solo is so phasey that it sounds like an intentional psychedelic effect.  Otherwise the thing is not too phasey but it certainly is not how I would mix it in order to hear everything clearly. 

If you listen in cd quality with good phones, you will notice that one channel sounds pretty sharp and the other is totally phasy and wobbly. Girl Don't Tell Me (on Summer Days remaster) is this way too but less so.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2105 on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:41 PM »

Wild Honey is now stereo

It also includes the new stereo mixes of 'Do You Wanna Dance, Barbara Ann, When I Grow Up, Heroes And Villains and the Sinlge Version of Isn't it Time, so thats 7 new mixes overall.

Is "Do You Wanna Dance" a true stereo mix or a stereo extraction? 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 26, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »

Wild Honey is now stereo

Is "Do You Wanna Dance" a true stereo mix or a stereo extraction? 

True.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 26, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »

Wasn't the guitar solo for "Dance?" an extraction? Or at least assumed to be as it was thought to be lost? I can't recall off-hand.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #2108 on: September 26, 2012, 07:57:51 PM »

Actually the songs picked for 50 Big Ones run very parallel to their ever-changing setlist this last tour. Also I'd like to add that due to the band members' ages shouldn't the new greatest hits package be called The Beach Boys Greatest Sharts?

And everytime I go to WalMart here, they have way too many remaining copies of the Zine. Why keep reselling the same old sharts?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 26, 2012, 09:48:12 PM »

And everytime I go to WalMart here, they have way too many remaining copies of the Zine. Why keep reselling the same old sharts?

Really? As much as I detest LawlMart and everything they stand for and DON'T want to give them a penny of my money, I may have to go pick one up. But I probably won't.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2110 on: September 27, 2012, 01:34:25 AM »

Has there been any interviews done with the guys involved in the stereo remixes?. Im kinda unsure exactly what level of stereo Im listening too TBH. Been most impressed by Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) so far

mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 27, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »

There is a lot of stereo material from Today and Summer Days already, I guess that's the reason I'm not THAT excited about the new mixes (don't get me wrong, I do wanna get the discs, hope they're the "definitive" ones now). Even Vegetables has a stereo mix (on Hawthorn, CA, if I'm not wrong).

Now, I just hope the stereo Please Let Me Wonder sounds more like the "The Warmth of the Sun" CD mix... the vocals are really surrounding, the one from "Summer Love Songs" is kinda panned on the center (though the backing instruments seem louder).
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 27, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »

previews are up for the albums...well at least they are for Sunflower and Smiley Smile...I haven't checked the rest:

http://www.amazon.com/Smiley-Smile-Mono-Stereo-Remasters/dp/B008LA7RI4/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_z

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 27, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »

"The Lonely Sea" sounds infinitely better in mono!
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 27, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »

Hearing that makes my day.
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: September 27, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »

I think it's because the Stereo mix is one of those early 60's mixes that leaves you questioning if one of your speakers has broken. Even bearing in mind people's opinions of stereo in the 60's, I still can't work out why anyone would think mixes like that were a good idea (I know, limited tech etc, but mixes where there is next to nothing in one speaker for most of the song always seem silly to me).
Back To Mono though, LetHimRun, if you haven't heard it yet you won't be disappointed, it sounds sublime.
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »

previews are up for the albums...well at least they are for Sunflower and Smiley Smile...I haven't checked the rest:

http://www.amazon.com/Smiley-Smile-Mono-Stereo-Remasters/dp/B008LA7RI4/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_z

The European iTunes Stores also have them up.  If you're in the U.S., go into the iTunes Store and click on the circular U.S. flag at the bottom, click on, for example, the U.K. store, then type in the Beach Boys, and they should appear.

Of course, make sure to go back to the U.S. store, when you're done.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 27, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »

Even Vegetables has a stereo mix (on Hawthorn, CA, if I'm not wrong).

True, but it is quite bit different from what we will be hearing on the Smiley Smile mono/stereo.  The Hawthorne mix has some added reverb and there's a whistling middle part that was edited out of the original 1967 release.  The new stereo mix on Smiley Smile follows the original release without the reverb and that middle part.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 27, 2012, 04:42:39 PM »

I think it's because the Stereo mix is one of those early 60's mixes that leaves you questioning if one of your speakers has broken. Even bearing in mind people's opinions of stereo in the 60's, I still can't work out why anyone would think mixes like that were a good idea (I know, limited tech etc, but mixes where there is next to nothing in one speaker for most of the song always seem silly to me).
Back To Mono though, LetHimRun, if you haven't heard it yet you won't be disappointed, it sounds sublime.

Yeah, the stereo mix has Brian and the instrumental track way to the left and the Carl/Mike background vocals on the far right. I have been waiting to hear this thing in true mono since the first time I heard the song. I can't wait!
tonefloat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 29, 2012, 11:17:59 AM »

Has anybody heard the new 2012 Stereo remastered Party! album om cd yet? Is it a new mix?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:59 AM »

Has anybody heard the new 2012 Stereo remastered Party! album om cd yet? Is it a new mix?
No, haven't heard it, but yes, it has to be a new mix considering Party was never issued in true stereo. As for the mono, I am not really sure.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 29, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »

I have - It's not too bad, but due to the source of the 'paty' sounds, the mix feels skewed in headphones, and the playback at the party does sound sometimes (Brians vocal on 'Papa-oom-Mow-Mow' being a key example), but it does give it a bit more atmosphere. the annoying heys in TTTAA'C and YGTHYLA are much quieter too.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
tonefloat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »

I just had a listen on Spotify of the stereo Party! album and WOW.  Maybe my favourite of the new mixes right now.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2123 on: September 29, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Two things:

I can't believe they left In My Room off the new Greatest Hits!

And what's with the (terrible) edit on the fade of Vegetables on the stereo Smiley Smile? Why does transfering to stereo result in a worse edit?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 29, 2012, 11:49:16 AM »

The Party! Stereo Mix of Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLgjoLXaoPw&feature=youtu.be

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 82 83 84 [85] 86 87 88 89 90 ... 104 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx