gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680907 Posts in 27619 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 07, 2024, 08:44:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24334 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 18, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »

W-what?! No Where I belong? How about Somewhere near Japan? Couldn't we agree on this late-period forgotten classic?

I scratched Where I Belong, but I have to confess I never listen to BB post about 1980 so am not familiar with the song. I gave it a cusory listen and it did little for me, but if a lot of people love it I'll unscratch it. I thought Somewhere Near japan was a joke, but I'll stick it on there if you're serious!

I admit I wasn't a huge fan of Where I belong either, but when Adam Mar's band covered it, I instantly loved it and fell in love with Carl's cut
Carl's best vocal ever!!!  And that's really saying something.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 18, 2010, 11:57:50 AM »

Yeah, that is saying something, I mean, out of all those early angel-like vocals, you chose a later vocal of his...WIB might be a contender for a post Holland vocal for me.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 18, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

What would yours be? This might make for a good new discussion topic as it appears my recent David Marks thread seems to have died on it's ass.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:15:31 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 18, 2010, 01:24:08 PM »

Whoever said no to Cabinessence...YOU AND ME OUTSIDE...RIGHT NOW!  LOL
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »

Whoever said no to Cabinessence...YOU AND ME OUTSIDE...RIGHT NOW!  LOL
Grin

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 18, 2010, 06:34:03 PM »

To Mike's Beard:

there are too many to choose from: I can Hear Music, GOK, Girl Dont Tell Me, Time to Get Alone, Long Promised Road, All This is That, Good Timin', Tallahassee Lassie, Our Sweet Love, Darlin' (live at Knebworth), Soul Searchin', it could go on all day!   Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2010, 05:11:33 AM »

So is this the official list? No more disagreeing? AWESOME...because I thought my suggestion for Male Ego would be taken off asap!   Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »

Can you please remove Why Do Fools Fall In Love?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2010, 05:55:22 AM »

So is this the official list? No more disagreeing? AWESOME...because I thought my suggestion for Male Ego would be taken off asap!   Grin

Ha ha - you spoke too soon. It's off!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2010, 05:56:27 AM »

danget

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2010, 05:57:56 AM »

Do you really not like Male Ego?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »

Do you really not like Male Ego?

I am pretty biased against any BB songs other than solo Brian post about 1980, and with this in mind I've tried to leave it up to others to scratch this stuff out, but in honesty, no - not even my fondness for 'so bad it's good' kitsch BB songs will save this one!! Be thankful it lasted so long!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:29 AM »

So now what we gonna do? Present this to Capitol as the ultimate greatest hits package? No, wait, we need something new so that the hardcore fans will buy it as well... I know, a mono fold-down of "Our Favorite Recording Sessions"!  3D

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2010, 12:00:49 PM »

Someone please point me to where I can hear "You're Still A Mystery".......

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »

i'm sure it's on youtube

~post of the century~
-Mikie

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 02, 2010, 05:15:41 AM »

I haven't looked at this list in awhile, and there are certainly some surprises.  

First off, I love the Smile stuff, and I can appreciate having all that stuff on the list, but to have something as beautiful as Cabinessence stricken while something like an unfinished Child Is Father Of The Man remains is boggling.  We don't even know which 'version' of Child we're voting on.  We don't know the words, or the melody, or the 'running order' of the sections.  Same goes for Worms, actually, although we do know the words for that one, and perhaps the melody.  That is, if Worms as presented on the box set is indeed Worms (thanks, Al).  

The same goes for Trombone Dixie.  How can this rejected instrumental ditty be on the list while the sublime I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is gone.  Hmm.

That said, I do have all of these songs on my mp3 player, so I can't really tell you to strike them.

Actually, the biggest surprise, to me, is the number of songs that are left.  I thought we'd end up with God Only Knows, and that's it.  
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:01:32 AM by LostArt » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 02, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »

It's a good list.

We're a much smarter and aesthetically-minded set of people than I thought.

We're 'totally, like, hip to the times'.

Hooray for ourselves!

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 02, 2010, 11:33:59 AM »

I haven't looked at this list in awhile, and there are certainly some surprises.  

First off, I love the Smile stuff, and I can appreciate having all that stuff on the list, but to have something as beautiful as Cabinessence stricken while something like an unfinished Child Is Father Of The Man remains is boggling.  We don't even know which 'version' of Child we're voting on.  We don't know the words, or the melody, or the 'running order' of the sections.  Same goes for Worms, actually, although we do know the words for that one, and perhaps the melody.  That is, if Worms as presented on the box set is indeed Worms (thanks, Al).  

The same goes for Trombone Dixie.  How can this rejected instrumental ditty be on the list while the sublime I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is gone.  Hmm.

That said, I do have all of these songs on my mp3 player, so I can't really tell you to strike them.

Actually, the biggest surprise, to me, is the number of songs that are left.  I thought we'd end up with God Only Knows, and that's it.  

I agree with all you're saying - it makes for a curious list, but you have to appreciate that at the point that somebody requested IJWMFTT to be scratched, Trombone Dixie probably wasn't on there and so we get quite a skewed line up. We probably should have just started out with the entire recorded works, but I didn't want to be the one to type it up!

Also, where people are allowed to submit their faves, you get all kinds of guilty pleasures on there and so we were suddenly in a position where half of Still Cruisin was represented but no Smile tracks which seemed kind of perverse, so there's been a constant see-sawing going on.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

Buddhahat spouted forth the following words of wisdom:

Also, where people are allowed to submit their faves, you get all kinds of guilty pleasures on there and so we were suddenly in a position where half of Still Cruisin was represented but no Smile tracks which seemed kind of perverse, so there's been a constant see-sawing going on.

We're found out at last. We don't agree with the 'canon' at all. I suspect all our 'famous friends' (Stebbins, Doe, Carlin, the lot) will present their own 'reasons' for having to leave the board next week.

Blueboard - SmileySmileNet: 10 - 0

Let's face them music then.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2010, 08:52:56 AM »

First off, I love the Smile stuff, and I can appreciate having all that stuff on the list, but to have something as beautiful as Cabinessence stricken while something like an unfinished Child Is Father Of The Man remains is boggling.  We don't even know which 'version' of Child we're voting on.  We don't know the words, or the melody, or the 'running order' of the sections.  Same goes for Worms, actually, although we do know the words for that one, and perhaps the melody.  That is, if Worms as presented on the box set is indeed Worms (thanks, Al). 

The same goes for Trombone Dixie.  How can this rejected instrumental ditty be on the list while the sublime I Just Wasn't Made For These Times is gone.  Hmm.

Actually, the biggest surprise, to me, is the number of songs that are left.  I thought we'd end up with God Only Knows, and that's it.   

I agree with all you're saying - it makes for a curious list, but you have to appreciate that at the point that somebody requested IJWMFTT to be scratched, Trombone Dixie probably wasn't on there and so we get quite a skewed line up. We probably should have just started out with the entire recorded works, but I didn't want to be the one to type it up!

There must be quite a kudos factor going on too -  it's far cooler to vote for something that's unreleased, that the next guy hasn't heard. So the released SMiLE stuff gets voted out but the "now shave your legs for the very first time" version of Tomboy gets past the bouncer because it's in the cool position of not having been released. Cabinessence gets the boot but unreleased Child stays because the man in the street ain't cool enough to have it in his collection, while we is.

By the way, my fave BBs track of all time isn't on the list yet: Days On The Surf Frontier.

Vote it off guys, by all means, but please give good reasons.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »

There must be quite a kudos factor going on too -  it's far cooler to vote for something that's unreleased, that the next guy hasn't heard. So the released SMiLE stuff gets voted out but the "now shave your legs for the very first time" version of Tomboy gets past the bouncer because it's in the cool position of not having been released. Cabinessence gets the boot but unreleased Child stays because the man in the street ain't cool enough to have it in his collection, while we is.

By the way, my fave BBs track of all time isn't on the list yet: Days On The Surf Frontier.

Vote it off guys, by all means, but please give good reasons.

Here goes: DOTSF is total sh*t. It s*cks bigtime. Now, I'll make an exception for the version recorded at Wally Heider's, in 1971. That is redeemed by the backing vocals, obviously Dave Edmunds and Roy Wood are in there. And it has a rather interesting dub version, with King Tubby at the controls. (I have one of the 2 extant copies, or rather: I don't, if you know what I mean and I think you do.)

But the more common version that you have, or have not but have heard, or have not and haven't heard, is a stinker.

Thread Founder: tear that sucker off!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:37:48 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »

There are still plenty of BBs song I havn't heard but I thought I'd heard of all of them. Any info on this song other than it's shite?

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2010, 11:10:39 PM »

I am so glad that no one has mentioned That Same Song. I certainly won't.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »

I am so glad that no one has mentioned That Same Song. I certainly won't.

I'd like That Same Song in the list. For its nice educational lyrics.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:18 PM »

Finally getting around to posting on this thread.

I can't freakin' STAND "Don't Hurt My little sister", as it is one of the the reasons I feel Today is highly overrated, same with In The Back Of My Mind (I like the instrumental track, but the vocals don't fit  and sound hurried). Those two songs and Don't Back Down just so happen to be my 3 least favorite BB tracks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx