gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681055 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 18, 2024, 02:52:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian doing Carl's "Heaven"  (Read 9906 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »

It's lovely, Mark.  When was the instrumental track recorded, and who was involved in that?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »

Wonderful, absolutely wonderful version!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »

All the vocals were done by Brian.......... And the entire song was recorded and mixed yesterday.

Mark

That (about the vocals) is amazing. While I thought what I thought was Brian sounded good, I would've sworn some of those higher parts were doubled by another voice. That the other voices are Brian is remarkable. Great job by Brian.

And I'm thrilled at the one-off, get-it-done nature of the recording. As I've said a billion times by now, I wish every time Brian wanted to do a song, he'd do just this: assemble whomever he had around and wanted to use, get into the studio, get it done and release it online. From his mind to our computers and mp3 players in under a week. It's the perfect way to keep working without being saddled down by the weight of albums that are supposed to live up to Pet Sounds, Smile, etc.

(Of course if he feels like doing another TLOS every now and again, I won't stop him.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »

Damn good, excellent vocals, in that interview recently when he said about having voice lessons to strenghten his vocals - he was right!! its great to hear the return of his falsetto!!!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2007, 02:12:33 PM »

Mark, please tell Brian that was a truly lovely tribute.

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »

Boy, I'm dying to hear this. When I try to listen all I get is the 10 second intro over and over and over again, plus the slide show.

Any clues for this techno-clueless fan would be appreciated.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2007, 08:56:05 PM »

Wow.
I typed a great big post, but I think "Wow" just about sums up everything i want to say.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »

Played this several times, then checked it against my old Carl Wilson LP.  Both versions complement each other, hard to pick one  as a "winner".

I  heard a couple tiny recording glitches, no doubt a product of the git-'r-done atmosphere.  Brian's lead vocal drops for a second, like he leaned away from the mic and they didn't go back to fix.  Also one of the falsetto harmonies was the teeniest bit "forced" in the first go round. 

While this track may have been a one-off impulsive thing, the lesson here is this kind of stunt is really the future of music.  -- And this admission is coming from a life-long vinylphile who belives in OWNING an ALBUM for my RECORD COLLECTION, not sliding a USB storage drive full of WAV's and MP3's in my shirt pocket.   Forget trying to get a "deal", be it front-end, back-end, 360, whatever.  Don't need them no more. Record something, get it out there for your fans.  Forget waiting for Clive Davis to rejigger it or begging a label run by dinosaurs to do it for you;  do it yourself.  Then when you release the product (also yourself) you get the rewards, no 80% to the middleman.  In this regard Brian is right out front with the Eagles, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and others who are going just that web-based route.  Create the demand, then watch the label guys beg you to get a piece of the back end, offering to "press it up for you" and rack job it.  Yeah, surre....

And oh yeah, lovely track.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2007, 02:38:18 AM »

From BW Administrator: Brian's new version of Carl's "Heaven"

(posted by Administrator on December 22, 2007 at 7:40 pm)

Hello everyone: Quick note to let you know that we've updated the slideshow to include more photos of Carl and Carl with Brian, as per Brian's instructions. He also wanted the slideshow to end with the last photo you'll see here. So, I guess you could call this version the "Director's Cut"!

Thanks again, Brian, for a wonderful and very heartfelt performance.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
stauti
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2007, 04:01:37 AM »

@Mark : A really great version but what happened to Brian´s Lead Vocals at 3:10 ?? The "how" is gone... 
Have a great Christmas time !!  Smiley Greetings from cold Germany !
Niko
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2007, 09:06:43 AM »

While this track may have been a one-off impulsive thing, the lesson here is this kind of stunt is really the future of music.  -- And this admission is coming from a life-long vinylphile who belives in OWNING an ALBUM for my RECORD COLLECTION, not sliding a USB storage drive full of WAV's and MP3's in my shirt pocket.   Forget trying to get a "deal", be it front-end, back-end, 360, whatever.  Don't need them no more. Record something, get it out there for your fans.  Forget waiting for Clive Davis to rejigger it or begging a label run by dinosaurs to do it for you;  do it yourself.  Then when you release the product (also yourself) you get the rewards, no 80% to the middleman.  In this regard Brian is right out front with the Eagles, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and others who are going just that web-based route.  Create the demand, then watch the label guys beg you to get a piece of the back end, offering to "press it up for you" and rack job it.  Yeah, surre.....

So obvious it hurts - problem is that Brian's management apparently retains a 'major label' mentality. Never mind that almost all of Brian's solo releases since 1988 have been on a different label each time...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2007, 03:00:24 AM »

I think I prefer this version to Carl's.  Brians voice isn't as sweet, so it makes it more effective, to me.  Carl was so ethereal-sounding that combined with the song, it was a little much.  I also really like Brian's phrasing.  It's like he heard the old Murry saying, "Sing from the heart."  There's such a difference in Brian when he really wants to do something. 
MBE
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 03:17:33 AM »

Very nice work from Brian. I think his vocals from the last decade are very nice when he tries. He is once again a professional singer which from the mid 70's to mid 90's he often wasn't. Heartfelt stuff and the the slideshow is nice too. THere is a great 1970 shot used in one of the Carl Wilson Foundation programs that I wish I could see more clearly as it is covered in writing. It appears to be from Brian's personal archive. Carl doesn't have the beard yet but his hair is parted in the middle. Brian looks almost as thin as he ever did in it. Great shot of them.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2007, 10:58:02 AM »

AGD wrote...
So obvious it hurts - problem is that Brian's management apparently retains a 'major label' mentality. Never mind that almost all of Brian's solo releases since 1988 have been on a different label each time...

He doesn't need the money, put it out on the net for free! 65 years old and using modern format...what a gimmick. 3D
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2007, 12:18:11 PM »

Even if you guys have already managed to get a copy of the song, I strongly recommend going back to the website - the new pictures are great.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »

Yea it would be a welcome addition to any BW disk..
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2007, 09:01:05 PM »

Rock! Rock! Rock!.............  The song rules.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2007, 07:36:04 AM »

Wow, I think this is a testament to the fact that if Brian has something in his heart that he WANTS to do, he's still very capable of making great music.  Too often though he sounds like he's not into the recording as much as on something like this.  To record something like this in 1 day just makes me smile and think "Yeah, the old man's still got it!"

BTW, I absolutely cannot watch the slideshow.  What a horrible thing for the Admin over there to do... Men aren't supposed to cry, right? Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 07:38:19 AM »

Oh, and the missing note sounds to me like Brian leaning away from the Microphone... which was always cool when Ray Charles did it, so maybe Brian's going blind?Huh? Huh Huh  Somebody find out if he's still seeing alright. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »

Oh, and the missing note sounds to me like Brian leaning away from the Microphone... which was always cool when Ray Charles did it, so maybe Brian's going blind?Huh? Huh Huh  Somebody find out if he's still seeing alright. 

He probably just got distracted. Funny how they didn't fix it, though. I kind of like that organic way of recording. It's like leaving the cough in in "Wendy."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2007, 08:41:40 PM »

Yeah... really, would it make the song any better to fix it? Not at all... so I say just leave it natural.  Kinda like how he recorded "Back Home" and said "That's a wrap!" after half butchering the lead vocal!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx