gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 06:46:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: *Merged* Brian Wilson current album thread  (Read 571349 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1700 on: July 26, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »

And I fired up the hi-fi, put the Capitol "20 Good Vibrations" comp on shuffle play, and it was great in light of all the talk about mixing and recording in this thread to hear what got me into not only the music and band, but also the recording/techie side of it as well. Not that anyone needs to be reminded, but...

My God, those 60's singles sound incredible. They always did, always will. It's hard to explain, but most of them are "hot" recordings and mixes, yet they are so clean and have incredible definition, especially for the years 63-65 and overall too. There is not a *single empty or wasted space* on those mixes and arrangements, everything cuts through, yet they're all very clean recordings of pretty full and busy arrangements. Kind of like "Aja", you can have them playing loud and with even a semi-decent set of speakers and amp, you get a great bass thump, great mids, that terrific high end especially in the falsetto...and yet nothing sound jumbled or squashed together.

The earliest I remember was hearing them on jukeboxes at the Jersey shore in the 70's and early 80's. I can only imagine how well these singles cut through AM radio in the 60's when they were new.

Those records and the way they sound and make people feel is the true legacy of this band, of the music, of Brian's production skills and everything else.

And every time I hear it as I did with today's session, I'm saying "I Get Around" is probably the most exciting hit single of the 60's, if not one of the greatest all-time. How to make a hit record? All the elements are there, no matter what year it was made. And unlike the similar exciting-turbo charged 1963-64 Beatles singles like "She Loves You", "I Get Around" sounds clean, well-defined, loud at just the right moments in the song, and the stop and start breaks throughout are perfect for that song. Probably one of the best fast songs to use the Brian falsetto against Mike's baritone sound to a devastating effect.

I just have to remind myself of how great those singles sound, and how much fun it is to hear them played very loud. Freakin fantastic.

(I did skip Kokomo on the shuffle play, though...that 80's sound coming after Chuck and Brian cutting masterpieces at Western just didn't fit today. And the big complaint is that they used the album version of Ronda too, which is decent but not the 45rpm mix at all...not near as exciting.)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:48:33 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1701 on: July 26, 2014, 02:32:37 PM »

Update on the Fordham Lager search: No luck at my first go-to store. They said at one time they stocked Fordham IPA, which was a good IPA but it didn't catch on around here. Still looking. Have two more places which would be most likely to have it. Got to try a new local IPA, though, 10%. If I were still into the IPA, I'd have bought some to go.

Browsing the shelves, it's overwhelming how many micros there are available now. I did see a 6 of Brooklyn "Pennant Ale", which when I lived in Boston used to be called "55 Pennant Ale"...I used to pay 5.99 per six, today the price was 10.49...inflation or overpricing?

Too many IPA's though, if you ask me. I'm sorta hoping the craze ends.... I love a good IPA but the market seems a bit flooded and lopsided of late.

You're right, it's an overload probably trying to jump on the demand at this point. I used to be a huge Brooklyn IPA fan, with some funny stories to go with that, but at this point I really can't drink too much IPA. I got away from the hoppy flavor quite a bit, I'd rather have a Belgian, a Pils, a lager, any session beers, whatever else that's not so much flavor all at once.

You'll appreciate this: I did see one of the local micros had their own version of an "Abbey style" brew, maybe that's the next trend with the micros. It was kind of funny, they even went for similar graphics on the bottle as on the real Abbey stuff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: July 26, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

Unfortunate that we can't put Brian, Al and Mike in a room together with a couple of cold, icy ones and come away with the knowledge that everything will be okay.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1703 on: July 26, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »

Just to make sure I'm asking for the right one, am I looking for Fordham "Helles Lager", or "Gypsy Lager"?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1704 on: July 26, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »

Time to move this to the sandbox. I don't drink and find this all exceedingly tedious. Might seem a PITA to some but at least I stay OT.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 26, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »

Time to move this to the sandbox. I don't drink and find this all exceedingly tedious. Might seem a PITA to some but at least I stay OT.

There you have it, straight from the throne

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 26, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »

So....

Damn those guest vocalists

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 26, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Somewhere in an alternate universe there is a Beer Message Board thread that has been derailed by talk of Brian's upcoming album...

Great post.  A few days ago, inspired by mentions on this board of Theakstons Old Peculiar, (which I'd enjoyed years ago), along with Maes Pils, Grösser, and Fordham, I headed to Holiday Wine Cellar, which has an absolutely huge selection of beer, and found not one of those mentioned.  Then headed to BevMo and struck out there as well.  Being on the west coast, I really didn't expect to find the Fordham, but not finding even one of the imports, especially the Theakston's, at two really well stocked outlets surprised me.  Then it hit me, these days there are so many US craft beers available that the selection of lesser known imports has gotten smaller, at least here in Southern California.  In fact, US craft brews are becoming so popular that my hometown's local craft brewer, Stone, has just announced plans to open a brewery and restaurant in Berlin.

Although I didn't find the specific beers I was looking for, I still came away, as did Wirestone, with a nice selection of other stuff.  Next on my list is to give rye whiskey a try, starting with GF's recommendation of WhistlePig (which, although bottled in Vermont, I was surprised to learn is currently produced only in Canada).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:01:32 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 26, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

For me, the recent discussions of loudspeakers and libations are some of few things in this thread that haven't been tedious.

But let me add a BW tie in to my post above by stating that Brian Wilson's new album is sure to be enjoyed in Southern California, Berlin, Vermont, and Canada.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:38:01 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1709 on: July 26, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

I'm in the same boat. Actually, it bothers me a bit as I had both parents die due to alcoholism, and I don't drink myself because of that. It does beat the bickering, but I would like this to get back on topic.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1710 on: July 26, 2014, 04:19:58 PM »

For me, the recent discussions of loudspeakers and libations are some of few things in this tread that haven't been tedious.

But let me add a BW tie in to my post above by stating that Brian Wilson's new album is sure to be enjoyed in Southern California, Berlin, Vermont, and Canada.

So, basically, it's a free pass to derail any thread here. Noted.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 26, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

That's right! so where were we?Huh

oh that's right! how crap Brian's album is going to be with autotune cos we heard a 10 second cell phone sample,

and that he has other people from the same label singing on Bri's album.....

does that cover it?.......

ok next question then........ what will or should the album cover look like?

RickB

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1712 on: July 26, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »

hmmm....I hope the album art looks nice. Or at least, better than Imagination, or *shudder* the GIOMH cover.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 26, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »

hmmm....I hope the album art looks nice. Or at least, better than Imagination, or *shudder* the GIOMH cover.

I actually don't mind 'GIOMH', but thought the 2004 Smile cover was shite....

RickB
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1714 on: July 26, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »

I say leave it exactly where it is. The recent conversations have been a nice change of pace, where many of us who might disagree were sharing conversations and common ground. Much like any gathering of people, the conversation and topic can be as free-flowing as the personalities having it.

Add my voice to RickB, Custom Machine, and others who I'm sure got fed up at various points enough to simply quit and walk. Because basically what happened is, in this very thread we who were genuinely interested and excited in a new Brian Wilson album were given some really, really neat information about it and information which we might have wanted to hear more about and could get nowhere else.

What happened? Read through the muck and the mire and you'll see almost a concerted effort to find every which way to find fault with it. Some of it, in my opinion, not even valid as a point of criticism. Everything was argued about, and not more than ten seconds has been actually released. Then even that fell under the jackhammer of negativity.

It was a thread where Brian's fans could talk, assuming a lot of those fans would find more to be happy about than be negative about, since they are fans after all...and even after preview/sneak peak information was given, it didn't matter.

The ultimate point may be to wait to find fault with it until we can all hear it and react accordingly. Right?

Unless the greater goal here among some is to put seeds of doubt out into the discussion about it for whatever reasons, and "talk it down" rather than the opposite, unless the other option of saying nothing until it's released if you're not excited about it has been taken off the table.

Is it a concerted effort? Maybe someone will slip at some point and accidentally spill the beans. Maybe there are talking points memos like in the best political dramas which will somehow accidentally get discovered.  Grin

Who knows. Really, who knows.

Until then, or in spite of that, if it turns into some of us talking about craft beer and other pursuits, let it slide. If there's no interest, it will soon fade away and we can get back to the bickering.

2 cents. Leave it as it is.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:21:35 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1715 on: July 26, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »

I took it as take the beer discussion to the sandbox, not move the entire thread. In other words, start a new topic there about it.

i must point out, gf, that I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts in this thread.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 26, 2014, 05:34:37 PM »

You know.........and let me know if I'm wrong here. It seems like when a thread such as beer (or speakers) has been started in the Sandbox, I really don't think the turnout or quality of content (i.e. beer/alcohol) has been as good as it has been on a regular on-topic thread! Sometimes a thread runs its course and peters out like any other. I think it's OK if it gets derailed - invariably it's going to get back on track sooner or later anyway, or new updated information will come in and the thread will continue or a new thread will be started. It seems healthy for the posters to contribute about (like someone said above) common ground anyway - it beats the hell outta duking it out about boring trivial sh*t that's only speculation anyway.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:35:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1717 on: July 26, 2014, 06:04:38 PM »

I took it as take the beer discussion to the sandbox, not move the entire thread. In other words, start a new topic there about it.

i must point out, gf, that I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts in this thread.

Thank you! I just wish I could get better at the art/skill of being able to use less than 50 words to make the points I sometimes need several thousand to explain!  LOL

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 26, 2014, 06:10:41 PM »

LOL

Not a word is wasted, gf!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 26, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

I'm with AGD.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 26, 2014, 06:27:42 PM »

Maybe there are talking points memos like in the best political dramas which will somehow accidentally get discovered.  Grin

If there are "talking points memos" the person assembling them is doing a piss poor job of putting together a decent argument against the album Grin

Guitarfool, I have to join the others in expressing my gratitude for your posts. No matter how long the post or intricate the message, your posts have always been enlightening. I'm grateful that you, along with Wirestone, express a clear voice of reason amongst the muck and drivel. Keep up the great work!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 26, 2014, 06:33:56 PM »

For me, the recent discussions of loudspeakers and libations are some of few things in this tread that haven't been tedious.

Basically you're saying if AGD doesn't like a thread it should be sandboxed? Perhaps you should stop reading this one for a while. Give yourself a break. Have a beer
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:49:44 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 26, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »

Basically you're saying if AGD doesn't like a thread it should be sandboxed? Perhaps you should stop reading this one for a while. Give yourself a break. Have a beer

srsly when is a Corona with lime not good?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1723 on: July 26, 2014, 07:06:42 PM »

No, it's just more along the lines of we're talking about everything BUT the original topic. Now we're bickering about the merits of being on topic vs off topic.

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 26, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

I think the new Blue Moon Winter Ale coming out this Fall is gonna be awful! ..... I know someone who took a tiny micro sample at the brewery and he says there's way too much artificial hoppiness...... They call it "Autohops"
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:12:05 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 106 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx