gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680986 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 12, 2024, 06:25:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson Taping Soundstage Special With Special Guests  (Read 166831 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 20, 2015, 07:57:07 AM »

I'm unclear what the problem is.

Me too. Perhaps trying to find fault with something for the sake of finding fault and telling everyone about it? This board deals in that too often.  Grin

D'ya think, GF?!  Nah, not here!;-)

Thumbs Up  LOL

Haha, never here, no way...

Bangs...seriously?

Keep in mind that Ontor said "Accept the bangs" not "Except the bangs" -- nobody on this thread has complained about bangs.

And for the record, I think she sounds great.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »

Some people aren’t super into the tropical, bossa nova sort of thing.

Fair enough, but bossa nova has nothing to do with tropical.  In this case, the lyrics give the song a tropical vibe because the singer is 'on the island'.  Other posters have said, "I'm not into that Jimmy Buffet, Private Life of Bill and Sue type of music, while referring to "On The Island".  Not the same thing at all.  I've never heard anybody say that they don't like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" because they don't like Jimmy Buffet style island music.    Shrug
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: March 20, 2015, 09:22:25 AM »

Some people aren’t super into the tropical, bossa nova sort of thing.

Fair enough, but bossa nova has nothing to do with tropical.  In this case, the lyrics give the song a tropical vibe because the singer is 'on the island'.  Other posters have said, "I'm not into that Jimmy Buffet, Private Life of Bill and Sue type of music, while referring to "On The Island".  Not the same thing at all.  I've never heard anybody say that they don't like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" because they don't like Jimmy Buffet style island music.    Shrug

I think that's just getting bogged down by the semantics of what a technical definition of a genre of music is or might be. Tropical and Bossa Nova are of course two separate things. If one likes neither, they may not like "On the Island." I can see how someone who doesn't like "Bill and Sue" might not like "On the Island" or "Busy Doin' Nothin'", regardless of the semantics of whether they fall under the same style or genre. They have enough similarities to elicit a similar response based on some folks' tastes.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #528 on: March 20, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »

I'm unclear what the problem is.

Me too. Perhaps trying to find fault with something for the sake of finding fault and telling everyone about it? This board deals in that too often.  Grin

D'ya think, GF?!  Nah, not here!;-)

Thumbs Up  LOL

Haha, never here, no way...

Bangs...seriously?

Keep in mind that Ontor said "Accept the bangs" not "Except the bangs" -- nobody on this thread has complained about bangs.

And for the record, I think she sounds great.

Yes,  know -  was joking with Ontor, which obviously didn't come across.  I know Ontor was kidding.  We all remember Michelle Obama's bangs.  You'd think she had made a change in domestic policy.  She changed a hairstyle.  It's all so weird.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 09:40:03 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »

Brian will rename the album No Pier Posture.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
atroxi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »

...and another video is released - this time for Wild Honey! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF9k3I1sQSE
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 20, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »

...and another video is released - this time for Wild Honey! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF9k3I1sQSE

Classy performance!

Stellar!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:25:58 AM by Douche Of Earl » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: March 20, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »

Great stuff! A real highlight of that night. Blondie/Ricky/Billy! Fantastic. One tiny minor quibble: let Darian do the solo on keys, Mertens' horn doesn't work as well.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 20, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »

Great stuff! A real highlight of that night. Blondie/Ricky/Billy! Fantastic. One tiny minor quibble: let Darian do the solo on keys, Mertens' horn doesn't work as well.
Faneffintastic, man. What an incredible band that team Brian has put together once again! Five whole whoots goin' down on this one, baby!  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: March 20, 2015, 10:50:04 AM »

If I'm guilty of doing anything it's trying to share some of my thoughts on a specific style and genre of music that I love, and suggest that some of the opinions and comparisons to other artists might not be accurate or applicable based on the premise. I am a fan of Bossa Nova, especially from the early to mid 60's. I have collected Bossa Nova vinyl, CD's, box sets, etc for several decades and I simply enjoy the music. Keep in mind this is music that for years going back to the 60's was derided and almost dismissed as "easy listening" or "elevator music", yet there were fans of it who ignored all that and simply enjoyed it because it struck a chord. Call it a sub-genre? Call it whatever, but if you're into it, you know the elements of those records and you like to hear them a certain way.

Some might not like the style, that's fine. Some might not like a certain song or performer, that's fine.

But what if a Beach Boys fan here were to play something like Wonderful for a non-fan, and that fan starts bashing it by saying the vocal sounds like Wooly Bully or something similarly disconnected. Many would probably debate that basis of the criticism rather strongly, right? It's the new listeners right to like or not like, but to base a critique on a vocal sounding like Wooly Bully that objectively or subjectively sounds nothing like Wooly Bully to that person who played Wonderful, they'd naturally disagree.

So when I hear Zooey's vocal on the various clips, I hear a very authentic vocal style and delivery that can be heard on many Bossa Nova records. And in some of those records, a style which goes back to Julie London in the mid 50's.

***Listen to Astrud Gilberto from the 60's. Specifically the songs she recorded with Brazilian organist Walter Wanderley, specifically when she sang Jobim with Stan Getz, etc. ***

From what I heard on the clips, Zooey is simply *nailing* that sound, tone, and delivery in her vocal on Brian's Bossa Nova track. Not just that, but the instrumental backing is very authentic to those records I mentioned.

So I see comments comparing it to Blossom Dearie, to me it's linking Wonderful to Wooly Bully. They're simply two different styles. I read comments comparing it to Jimmy Buffett and his brand of tropical music, they're two entirely different styles and sounds. I read comments about Zooey's girly voice and delivery, whatever the case, yet she is singing almost *exactly* the same way as Gilberto and with a damn near perfect emulation of Astrud Gilberto on those classic records from the 60's, and Astrud was the female voice of Bossa Nova for many listeners in that era.

So *I* think it's cool to hear someone doing that very specific vocal sound on an authentic Bossa Nova song and instrumental sound in 2015. It strikes a chord with me. And from how that vocal sounds, I'm guessing Zooey and I may have some of the same 60's vinyl albums in our collections, specifically the Gilberto records. Brian is already known to not only be a fan of Bossa but also be able to apply it very authentically to his own music going back to 1968. And my debate in this case was seeing criticisms whose premise seemed unrelated to what's actually going on in the recording, and where those sounds are coming from.

And if someone gets a chance to hear some of the original recordings I mentioned, I'd hope they'd do so, and maybe the way I commented about them would have more context than what it's being given here based on the reactions.

I do have opinions, and I can voice them as well speaking as a fan. And I will continue to do so.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 20, 2015, 11:04:13 AM »

Faneffintastic, man. What an incredible band that team Brian has put together once again! Five whole whoots goin' down on this one, baby!  w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

Agreed! This sounds flippin great. I'm really hoping they release a CD of this concert!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 20, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »

Agreed! This sounds flippin great. I'm really hoping they release a CD of this concert!
I can't wait to see the soundstage special! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2015, 11:10:33 AM »

Some folk like coffee, others, like me, don't. Nothing to do with anything bar personal preference. I don't like Deschanel's voice. Simple as that. Doesn't matter to me how "authentic" it might be or how far the tradition goes back... don't like her voice, never will. If you think I'm doing it just for effect, finding a fault just to post about it, fine, I can't make you think otherwise. But permit me my considered opinion, expressed politely and grammatically correctly, without inferring I'm trolling.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2015, 11:39:17 AM »

And from how that vocal sounds, I'm guessing Zooey and I may have some of the same 60's vinyl albums in our collections, specifically the Gilberto records.

You guessed correctly.

Some folk like coffee, others, like me, don't. Nothing to do with anything bar personal preference. I don't like Deschanel's voice. Simple as that. Doesn't matter to me how "authentic" it might be or how far the tradition goes back... don't like her voice, never will. If you think I'm doing it just for effect, finding a fault just to post about it, fine, I can't make you think otherwise. But permit me my considered opinion, expressed politely and grammatically correctly, without inferring I'm trolling.

I love coffee!!!

Seriously, though, of course you're entitled to your opinion. Although I happen to be a fan of hers (granted, I'm not going to be the most objective person in that regard, mind you), but not everyone is. No biggie there. Hell, most people dig 'Don't Hurt My Little Sister', and I think it's ass. I don't even care that much for 'In the Back of my Mind', at least the original album version (single tracked vocal version is better, but IMHO would've worked better as an instrumental).  Just like some here hate Runaway Dancer (and one person here even indirectly took a swipe at my  own work while criticizing it), yet I happen to really dig it a lot. So, yeah, I may really be over the moon for On the Island, but I myself am perfectly cool with not everyone being so. On a personal level, I'm just extremely glad that her and Matt finally got to work with Brian...haven't talked to Matt* in about 9 years, but I know that must've been really awesome for him.

*Ward, not Jardine LOL
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:46:32 AM by ♩♬ Brian Wilson is my Spirit Animal ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: March 20, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »

Some folks like water, some folks like wine, but I like a taste of straight strychnine! Being a sucker for those Jobim/Sinatra records and Julie London, this hit the spot for me a lot more than "Runaway Dancer..." 

They should appear at the LA show and play it live! And yeah, M. Ward must be awfully happy about it. Someone should interview him about it.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: March 20, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »

That is one great performance of Wild Honey. I want that on DVD. In U K , so no Soundsatge prog to see. Blondie-- indeed whole band-- cooks. One great , fat sound.
Ray Lawlor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 20, 2015, 12:37:28 PM »

If I'm guilty of doing anything it's trying to share some of my thoughts on a specific style and genre of music that I love, and suggest that some of the opinions and comparisons to other artists might not be accurate or applicable based on the premise. I am a fan of Bossa Nova, especially from the early to mid 60's. I have collected Bossa Nova vinyl, CD's, box sets, etc for several decades and I simply enjoy the music. Keep in mind this is music that for years going back to the 60's was derided and almost dismissed as "easy listening" or "elevator music", yet there were fans of it who ignored all that and simply enjoyed it because it struck a chord. Call it a sub-genre? Call it whatever, but if you're into it, you know the elements of those records and you like to hear them a certain way.

Some might not like the style, that's fine. Some might not like a certain song or performer, that's fine.

But what if a Beach Boys fan here were to play something like Wonderful for a non-fan, and that fan starts bashing it by saying the vocal sounds like Wooly Bully or something similarly disconnected. Many would probably debate that basis of the criticism rather strongly, right? It's the new listeners right to like or not like, but to base a critique on a vocal sounding like Wooly Bully that objectively or subjectively sounds nothing like Wooly Bully to that person who played Wonderful, they'd naturally disagree.

So when I hear Zooey's vocal on the various clips, I hear a very authentic vocal style and delivery that can be heard on many Bossa Nova records. And in some of those records, a style which goes back to Julie London in the mid 50's.

***Listen to Astrud Gilberto from the 60's. Specifically the songs she recorded with Brazilian organist Walter Wanderley, specifically when she sang Jobim with Stan Getz, etc. ***

From what I heard on the clips, Zooey is simply *nailing* that sound, tone, and delivery in her vocal on Brian's Bossa Nova track. Not just that, but the instrumental backing is very authentic to those records I mentioned.

So I see comments comparing it to Blossom Dearie, to me it's linking Wonderful to Wooly Bully. They're simply two different styles. I read comments comparing it to Jimmy Buffett and his brand of tropical music, they're two entirely different styles and sounds. I read comments about Zooey's girly voice and delivery, whatever the case, yet she is singing almost *exactly* the same way as Gilberto and with a damn near perfect emulation of Astrud Gilberto on those classic records from the 60's, and Astrud was the female voice of Bossa Nova for many listeners in that era.

So *I* think it's cool to hear someone doing that very specific vocal sound on an authentic Bossa Nova song and instrumental sound in 2015. It strikes a chord with me. And from how that vocal sounds, I'm guessing Zooey and I may have some of the same 60's vinyl albums in our collections, specifically the Gilberto records. Brian is already known to not only be a fan of Bossa but also be able to apply it very authentically to his own music going back to 1968. And my debate in this case was seeing criticisms whose premise seemed unrelated to what's actually going on in the recording, and where those sounds are coming from.

And if someone gets a chance to hear some of the original recordings I mentioned, I'd hope they'd do so, and maybe the way I commented about them would have more context than what it's being given here based on the reactions.

I do have opinions, and I can voice them as well speaking as a fan. And I will continue to do so.  Smiley

Let me jump in on this.  I am a huge Bossa Nova fan ; the Sinatra / Jobim record is in my all time top five , Julie London; it is a beautiful genre.  Brian cuts authentic Bossa Nova' " Busy Doin' Nothin' " , " S'Wonderful' and now " On the Island". When I first heard it last year , I loved it instantly; simple yet complex with those 11th and 13th chords. I believe at the time I said that the lead vocal reminded me of a young Rosemary Clooney; still does. To be clear , I really like Zooey Deschanel's voice, and I think she authentically executes the true Bossa Nova feel or vibe;.

Check out this 1966 recording by Astrud Gilberto and Walter Wanderley, " Samba De Verao" ( Summer Samba) aka "So Nice".  It is almost the exact feel Brian went for in " On the Island"; and Zooey absolutely nails Astrud Gilberto's style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Rm11Bl8xQ

My taste , anyway.   Some people will love it , some people won't ; I don't skip over it, it resonates with me

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 20, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »

Does Soundstage usually release a CD or DVD?  This really does sound like it's going to be an awesome show and I'd love to have a recording of it.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 20, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »

I want this recording of Wild Honey on constant repeat for the rest of my life!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: March 20, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »

Let me jump in on this.  I am a huge Bossa Nova fan ; the Sinatra / Jobim record is in my all time top five , Julie London; it is a beautiful genre.  Brian cuts authentic Bossa Nova' " Busy Doin' Nothin' " , " S'Wonderful' and now " On the Island". When I first heard it last year , I loved it instantly; simple yet complex with those 11th and 13th chords. I believe at the time I said that the lead vocal reminded me of a young Rosemary Clooney; still does. To be clear , I really like Zooey Deschanel's voice, and I think she authentically executes the true Bossa Nova feel or vibe;.

Check out this 1966 recording by Astrud Gilberto and Walter Wanderley, " Samba De Verao" ( Summer Samba) aka "So Nice".  It is almost the exact feel Brian went for in " On the Island"; and Zooey absolutely nails Astrud Gilberto's style.

My taste , anyway.   Some people will love it , some people won't ; I don't skip over it, it resonates with me

Also, Brian mentioned (just yesterday!) that his favorite song off of Pacific Ocean Blue was 'You and I', which has a similar feel, so that definitely rings true.

Great comparison to Rosemary Clooney too, just spot on.

Man, I wish Brian would do a straight up bossa nova album . Certainly has a feel for the genre.

A more recent (relatively...damn, almost 30 years already?!) favorite of mine, from an artist who had covered many many different genres in his career, and one I sadly miss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8g7hfDKwJg  A different take on it (several different styles are mashed in) but still one of my favorites.

Another favorite of mine  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6T_PODAqoc  Just a great album overall.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 12:51:54 PM by ♩♬ Brian Wilson is my Spirit Animal ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #545 on: March 20, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »

Does Soundstage usually release a CD or DVD?  This really does sound like it's going to be an awesome show and I'd love to have a recording of it.

Scattered “Soundstage” episodes have been released on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Most haven’t I would guess. I think fewer have been issued on CD.

Also, as I mentioned before, this is not a standard episode of “Soundstage” but rather a “Soundstage Special.” It also appears, if the YouTube clips are any indication, that BriMel owns the rights to the show, or at least co-owns the rights. For all we know, BriMel may have produced the show themselves and are just licensing it to PBS (sort of like what was done with the “Doin’ it Again” special in 2012).

My total guess is that there’s at least a decent chance we’ll see this show released on DVD/Blu. If it does happen, it may not happen for awhile. The best immediate hope for those who can’t get it on TV might be if someone manages to get the show up on YouTube for any length of time.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 20, 2015, 01:17:52 PM »

Bossa nova would be fine, esp since it seems to suit Brian's voice .
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #547 on: March 20, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »

I got a bit emotional seeing Blondie & Ricky playing w/ Brian & Al.

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »

I love the way Blondie's right eye closes when he sings certain notes high in his register.  Grin
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #549 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »

Let me jump in on this.  I am a huge Bossa Nova fan ; the Sinatra / Jobim record is in my all time top five , Julie London; it is a beautiful genre.  Brian cuts authentic Bossa Nova' " Busy Doin' Nothin' " , " S'Wonderful' and now " On the Island". When I first heard it last year , I loved it instantly; simple yet complex with those 11th and 13th chords. I believe at the time I said that the lead vocal reminded me of a young Rosemary Clooney; still does. To be clear , I really like Zooey Deschanel's voice, and I think she authentically executes the true Bossa Nova feel or vibe;.

Check out this 1966 recording by Astrud Gilberto and Walter Wanderley, " Samba De Verao" ( Summer Samba) aka "So Nice".  It is almost the exact feel Brian went for in " On the Island"; and Zooey absolutely nails Astrud Gilberto's style.

My taste , anyway.   Some people will love it , some people won't ; I don't skip over it, it resonates with me

Also, Brian mentioned (just yesterday!) that his favorite song off of Pacific Ocean Blue was 'You and I', which has a similar feel, so that definitely rings true.

Great comparison to Rosemary Clooney too, just spot on.

Man, I wish Brian would do a straight up bossa nova album . Certainly has a feel for the genre.

A more recent (relatively...damn, almost 30 years already?!) favorite of mine, from an artist who had covered many many different genres in his career, and one I sadly miss. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8g7hfDKwJg  A different take on it (several different styles are mashed in) but still one of my favorites.

Another favorite of mine  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6T_PODAqoc  Just a great album overall.

I've never cared it someone disagreed with my opinions, particularly about music.  If someone doesn't like Bossa Nova or Zooey's voice, why would I personally care?  My problem was with words and phrases like "insipid," "sickeningly cute," and "solipsistic."  I can't imagine what was in the clip that would require such nasty descriptions, and I do wonder if they would have been used for a young male singer.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx