gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681216 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 28, 2024, 10:21:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
doinnothin and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1419255 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3500 on: January 31, 2013, 02:41:13 AM »

Aside from the mono, God Only Knows(1st vocal insert) might be the best thing in all of creation. I have Carl Wilson in my right ear. The beautiful track is in my left. It's really something.

Oh yeah...a question...might it be the best thing in all creation ?

No. The best thing in all creation is the Grand Canyon.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3501 on: January 31, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:14:50 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 31, 2013, 03:24:01 AM »

Aside from the mono, God Only Knows(1st vocal insert) might be the best thing in all of creation. I have Carl Wilson in my right ear. The beautiful track is in my left. It's really something.

the grand canyon? all it took was time and water. If i had to choose between GOK and the Grand Canyon, i'd go for GOK. Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 31, 2013, 11:57:50 PM »

Isolating that single tracked vocal is incredible

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: February 02, 2013, 05:52:48 AM »

Aside from the songs released on live albums (Darlin', Aren't You Glad, Let the Wind Blow) and the title track, what songs from Wild Honey were performed live?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 02, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »

Aside from the songs released on live albums (Darlin', Aren't You Glad, Let the Wind Blow) and the title track, what songs from Wild Honey were performed live?

Country Air was in late 60s/early 70s, great version on live at Big Sur.

and if you consider Here Comes the Night (Disco/LA version) it was played live a couple of times...til it was booed off stage to obscurity.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 02, 2013, 08:29:24 AM »

Country Air and How She Boogalooed It were played on the Wild Honey tour, too. Seek out the 'A Vocal Element' bootleg

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 02, 2013, 10:46:53 AM »

Country Air and How She Boogalooed It were played on the Wild Honey tour, too. Seek out the 'A Vocal Element' bootleg
Oh yeah! Good call, I always forget about (GOOD LORD) How She Boogled it...maybe cuz it's slightly outta place.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 02, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

Thanks for the tip, a live version of Country Air is really making me excited to listen.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 02, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

They did Country Air at the Big Sur festival in 1970, as well.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3510 on: February 04, 2013, 02:48:24 AM »

Hi

I recently bought Domenic Priore's Dumb Angel fanzines # 2 (Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile - the 1st edition from the 80s)) and #3 (the red one with the Ronettes on the cover)

It seems there also was a # 1 in this series with a Caroline No sheet music cover with a photo of Brian recording. Is this also in the book format or a a pile of photocopied pages stapled together? And could someone here offer a brief description of the content?

So far I've only read # 3 which was very interesting. I'm about to take the plunge into # 2...  Smiley

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3511 on: February 04, 2013, 05:25:45 AM »

the grand canyon? all it took was time and water. If i had to choose between GOK and the Grand Canyon, i'd go for GOK. Smiley

You're right - I was being modest: it's a scientifically verified fact that I am the best thing in all creation.  Cool

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: February 04, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

Hi

I recently bought Domenic Priore's Dumb Angel fanzines # 2 (Look, Listen, Vibrate, Smile - the 1st edition from the 80s)) and #3 (the red one with the Ronettes on the cover)

It seems there also was a # 1 in this series with a Caroline No sheet music cover with a photo of Brian recording. Is this also in the book format or a a pile of photocopied pages stapled together? And could someone here offer a brief description of the content?

So far I've only read # 3 which was very interesting. I'm about to take the plunge into # 2...  Smiley

Photocopied sheets; originally $5, then $6.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:10:07 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3513 on: February 05, 2013, 10:08:05 PM »

Anybody notice the official TSS mix of the "rock with me henry" Wonderful is better than but closely emulates the UM mix (bass vocals to the left, mandolin to the right, etc). Seems like Linett wanted to make it familiar to die-hard fans.  Cheesy

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3514 on: February 07, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:12:10 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3515 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »

Hi

So far I've only read # 3 which was very interesting. I'm about to take the plunge into # 2...  Smiley

Photocopied sheets; originally $5, then $6. Here's the cover, idea sheet and contents page to let you dwell: 

Great bgas. Thanks for the scans. Looks quite interesting. I've yet to see copies appear on Ebay though. I wonder how many circulated back then?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: February 08, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »

Hi

Photocopied sheets; originally $5, then $6. Here's the cover, idea sheet and contents page to let you dwell: 

Great bgas. Thanks for the scans. Looks quite interesting. I've yet to see copies appear on Ebay though. I wonder how many circulated back then?

That I have no idea; perhaps asking Dom would get you an answer. I bought 2 copies with I don't remember how much time between( $5 & $6). And there may have been some on ebay way back.   
Good luck!   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3517 on: February 08, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »

That I have no idea; perhaps asking Dom would get you an answer. I bought 2 copies with I don't remember how much time between( $5 & $6). And there may have been some on ebay way back.   
Good luck!   

Well, if you, or anyone else for that matter, has a copy they'd like to sell, feel free to PM me.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:01 PM »

as I was listening to the Surf's Up sessions on TSS,in the studio Hal B is talkin about the percussion and "taking off his wedding ring"....anyhow, Brian hears the the muted trumpet and says "there's our baby!"

When I heard that, it sounds just like something the Brian of nowadays would say...anyone else hear that and think of it?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: February 08, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »

I think that is Frankie Capp on percussion, not Hal.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3520 on: February 09, 2013, 01:57:22 AM »

as I was listening to the Surf's Up sessions on TSS,in the studio Hal B is talkin about the percussion and "taking off his wedding ring"....anyhow, Brian hears the the muted trumpet and says "there's our baby!"

When I heard that, it sounds just like something the Brian of nowadays would say...anyone else hear that and think of it?

The "there's our baby" quote is from the session highlights for CIFOTM.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: February 09, 2013, 10:24:43 AM »

Oh Dang! I'm way off! All my session musician names and session tracks names are all jumbled up. To be fair, I heard it about a week ago so I was goin by memory but I'm still deducting 7 karma points off myself because of my being an idiot just to make a point.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: February 11, 2013, 05:33:49 AM »

Can't help but think what an appropriate cover this might have made for a box set of Surf's Up era sessions and out-takes! It's like the Appeal To The Great Spirit has been joined in the surf by the rest of the band… Too bad Foals beat 'em to it!

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: February 12, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »

Oh Dang! I'm way off! All my session musician names and session tracks names are all jumbled up. To be fair, I heard it about a week ago so I was goin by memory but I'm still deducting 7 karma points off myself because of my being an idiot just to make a point.
Aside from me being a moron and mixing up my facts, does anyone know what I meant by that? It sounded very much like present day Brian.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: February 13, 2013, 08:47:36 AM »

Is the Demonstration Copy of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue from '77 a different pressing as the actual '77 release? (Was wondering if there was any difference in quality between the two).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 138 139 140 [141] 142 143 144 145 146 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx