gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 05:27:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1419315 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: October 10, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »

are there any what you would call "Half-Assed Beach Boys fans" on here besides myself?

I sure hope not.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: October 10, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »

are there any what you would call "Half-Assed Beach Boys fans" on here besides myself?
I've never much cared for the "traditional sound" of the group and the only stuff I like from them is the "post surf pre-death of murry era"

I'm not a huge fan of the pre-1965 stuff, and don't really care for anything post-1979,  but there are some great songs from every period of the band. Sans the 1990s and 2000s. We'll see how these 2010s go. So far so good.

No mas, por favor.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:56 PM »

Does anyone knows if there are larger versions of these photos somewhere? I'd LOVE to make a poster with one of these... Maybe I could get to the original source of them.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-n1NgXZsyh3U/TuomIy4Mr-I/AAAAAAAAmQo/useKYpfoZI8/s1600/BRIAN%2BWILSON4.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CbHKxiFCcpI/TBWhrQN_CII/AAAAAAAAARE/d4v43xXa6jE/s1600/brian-wilson-19761.jpg

There probably won't be any other size, so could you indicate some virtual store with cool BB's posters?? Thanks!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: October 10, 2012, 08:01:11 PM »

The second one was on the cover of a Rolling Stone issue in 1976 (IIRC). There's font on there but if you get an original copy and scan it, it would be fairly big.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: October 10, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »

I can't remember if I've asked this before. Does anybody have a decent quality copy of the color picture of Dennis that appeared on the "Death of a Beach Boy" magazine?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2955 on: October 11, 2012, 07:30:59 AM »

The second one was on the cover of a Rolling Stone issue in 1976 (IIRC). There's font on there but if you get an original copy and scan it, it would be fairly big.

I've found one on eBay, but I don't think the headlines texts would be very nice on a poster
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: October 11, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »

Sorry, this:

Assume this is boot-sourced but it ain't from the one illustrated. Anyone give me a pointer please?

… was in relation to this:

“We live in divisive times.”
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: October 11, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »

I've never much cared for the "traditional sound" of the group and the only stuff I like from them is the "post surf pre-death of murry era"

I dunno if there are many here on this board, but a lot of so-called hipsters share your taste.
Really, you'll come around if you give it a chance, eventually. There are some real gems from that early period. And also, it's so fun and interesting to watch the musical path these guys went on album-by-album, single-by-single.

well i wouldn't say i hate their early stuff but that i consider it to be more of what you would call amateur music. It's novelty stuff that is good in the sense that brings you a sort of cultural nostalgia. Whenever I listen to the song "In the Parking Lot", I feel like I'm in a time machine. The stuff from Pet Sounds through Holland is serious listening music to me.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: October 11, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »

a lot of their songs i liked listening to but never heard the lyrics until after a few times of listening to it. Is the song "Here Today" sort of basically saying: "chicks are easily disposable"?
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2959 on: October 11, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »

a lot of their songs i liked listening to but never heard the lyrics until after a few times of listening to it. Is the song "Here Today" sort of basically saying: "chicks are easily disposable"?
Nah, it's more don't sit around waiting for the right time too long, don't f*** it up, know your relationship will probably fall apart in the long run, and don't kill yourself when it happens.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: October 11, 2012, 10:52:14 AM »

yeah, pretty much saying love is hell. Or, perhaps specifically, just that one girlfriend the singer and the person the song is addressed to share.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: October 11, 2012, 10:54:20 AM »

"Here Today" is a about a slut.

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: October 12, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

I was listening to the Today! remaster, and In the Back of My Mind (Stereo) sounds great.

I love the mono version, but it always felt like something was off to me.
Like the vocal quality is so much below the backing track.

Has anyone else here heard the stereo version, and what do you think they did to it to make it sound that much better?
EQ and some extra reverb?
Sounds awesome though.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: October 13, 2012, 05:23:11 PM »

Does BW's mono backing track for Good Vibrations exist?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: October 13, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »

I was listening to the Today! remaster, and In the Back of My Mind (Stereo) sounds great.

I love the mono version, but it always felt like something was off to me.
Like the vocal quality is so much below the backing track.

Has anyone else here heard the stereo version, and what do you think they did to it to make it sound that much better?
EQ and some extra reverb?
Sounds awesome though.

Stereo version is single tracked on Dennis' vocal. Mono version is double tracked.
Also, stereo version does not fade out. Mono version fades out near the very end.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: October 13, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »

Am I going crazy or is there faint falsetto wailing going on in Car Crazy Cutie's bridge? It sounds severely buried, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: October 13, 2012, 10:34:16 PM »

no, yes.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: October 16, 2012, 02:17:21 AM »

if Brian hadn't have succumbed to mental illness in 1967, does anyone see them sounding like procol harum, given the direction the band was going?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:05 AM »

if Brian hadn't have succumbed to mental illness in 1967, does anyone see them sounding like procol harum, given the direction the band was going?

....no?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2969 on: October 16, 2012, 09:02:12 PM »

Good Timin' was the last mono/stereo promo single. Why was it the last one? Had AM stations finally figured out how to collapse their own stereo?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2970 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »

I was watching the Al Jardine- Postcard from CA promo video and it has Brian singing part of the title song, does he have a vocal line on the album? I thought he was only on 3 tracks: Don't Fight the Sea, Drivin', and Honkin down the Highway.

Also, Macca's "cameo" where he just says: "don't fight the sea" and that's it, was that from another documentary or was that aimed at Al and/or Beach Boys?

And finally, besides the version of Waves of Love that was on the Postcard album, wasn't there another version going around? Not the backstage version...anyone know what I'm talkin about? Where does this come from?

Here's the video I'm discussing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8vx2njD_EU

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: October 17, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

As to your Waves of Love question - the iTunes download and the official CD release were two different versions. One sounded like more of a rehearsal take. I don't have either handy right now to tell you which one is which.

dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: October 17, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »

was Murry's resentment of Hollywood due to the fact that they never gave himself a record deal years earlier?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2973 on: October 18, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

Does BW's mono backing track for Good Vibrations exist?

Excellent question. I'm thinking probably not as it would have been on the lost Columbia vocal multitrack... unless he made a safety copy before transferring it.

'Course, I could be wrong: has been know. Not very often, mind.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:51:30 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: October 18, 2012, 11:48:16 AM »

As to your Waves of Love question - the iTunes download and the official CD release were two different versions. One sounded like more of a rehearsal take. I don't have either handy right now to tell you which one is which.
When i talked to Al backstage in Norway he said there was a third version on the Japanese release.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 123 124 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx