gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 04:17:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416590 times)
Paulos
« Reply #2600 on: July 19, 2012, 03:06:15 PM »

Do the lyrics of Feel Flows actually mean anything, or is it just "I'M JACK REILLY AND THIS IS COOL AS HELLLLLL *hits bong"?

I don't think they mean anything, Reilly just strung a bunch of random words together, although I must admit they do flow nicely.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: July 19, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »

Do the lyrics of Feel Flows actually mean anything, or is it just "I'M JACK REILLY AND THIS IS COOL AS HELLLLLL *hits bong"?

I don't think they mean anything, Reilly just strung a bunch of random words together, although I must admit they do flow nicely.

I can feel it.
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #2602 on: July 22, 2012, 04:33:30 AM »

This might be an odd topic  LOL But what's the history of that beard? it's like he rarley ever shaved it from Late 70 up to his death the only time I Know it was somewhat shaved was at the Grammys in 1977 and I herd he was competley shaved in Late 1976 or sanded it. I've been kinda interested in this  LOL

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 04:40:26 AM by EthanJClarke93 » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2603 on: July 22, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »

I must say, Carl looked pretty sweet at the Grammy awards.

In that era, it's almost shocking. It's like seeing Ray Charles sans shades, or something..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:07:56 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:19 AM »

The Wilson bothers seemed to be able to grow beards within weeks. No doubt when they didn't have any group photo shoots to attend they would have been beardless. Note that sometimes Brian forgot or couldn't be bothered when he showed up beardless Air Quotes

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: July 22, 2012, 06:30:10 AM »

...no doubt Dennis held that title. What about the other guys, apart from Al Jardine's broken leg courtesy of Brian, what other accidents have happened to them during their career ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2606 on: July 22, 2012, 07:46:44 AM »

...no doubt Dennis held that title. What about the other guys, apart from Al Jardine's broken leg courtesy of Brian, what other accidents have happened to them during their career ?

I remember reading that, while in Holland, Brian crashed his Mercedes into a tree and came out of it as if nothing had happened.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: July 22, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »

Ah well that explains that.  Thank you Jon for the info.    Any idea if his kids are in the music business themselves? 

When I met Bruce he wasn't afraid to talk me out of the music business even going as far as suggesting that I go back to school and get my masters.  Haha, I felt like I was being lectured by a family member at a family picnic.  "Okaaaaaay Uncle Bruce....gosh..." LOL

I pretty sure Bruce's children all went to very prestigious colleges and have important rich person jobs.

One of them is a classical musician who's getting a degree in England, I believe.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: July 22, 2012, 08:37:59 AM »

I was playing my Love You LP today and I thought of a few questions regarding Good Time that I was curious about, some of which I have been thinking about for a while. For me this has got to be one of the more interesting Beach Boys songs, for the questions it posed for me mentioned below and the fact that Brian clearly had faith in it, and put a lot of work into the tracking, yet never really had a good set of lyrics for it (the Beach Boys ones are a bit 'meh', the Spring ones I think are cringe-worthy in places)

1. What's the source of the buzz on this track? [You can hear it clearly during the intro, and if you listen carefully it's audible through most of the song]
2. If it was the fault of a faulty guitar lead or something to that effect, can anyone think of a reason why it wasn't re-recorded, for example was it locked in with a more difficult to re-record part?, I'd love to know how this track was recorded, how many tracks etc if anyone knows.
3. Re the Spring version, is that the same basic take or did Brian recreate the elements he liked on a completely different take? (Which seems implausible, because of the BB's vocals) and if it is the same basic take:
4. The synths on the Spring verson, were they recorded during the tracking for the Beach Boys version and mixed out/down or did Brian do some more tracking for their version.
5. Same with the 'Hey Baby, turn up the radio' part on the Spring version, was that just put in to fill a gap or does that exist on the tape for the Beach Boys version, did they ever take a shot at it?

Thanks in advance for any answers, I am fascinated with the recording process that the band used to go through.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: July 22, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »

I've never been a fan of Tears In The Morning on Sunflower, but just now I heard an alternate mix with a double-tracked Bruce, alternate lead vocal, no piano outro. However, hardly backing vocals. It's SUCH a knockout - I love it. Puts the song in a whole new light. Was this mix finished, or was it rejected before there was a chance to embelish it? Was this version ever seriously considered for release?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: July 23, 2012, 06:09:23 AM »

I've never been a fan of Tears In The Morning on Sunflower, but just now I heard an alternate mix with a double-tracked Bruce, alternate lead vocal, no piano outro. However, hardly backing vocals. It's SUCH a knockout - I love it. Puts the song in a whole new light. Was this mix finished, or was it rejected before there was a chance to embelish it? Was this version ever seriously considered for release?
Where did you find it?
Last time I checked it was up on YouTube. Tried to get you a link, but YT seems to be down...  Huh

The track should be featured on various bootlegs, although I'm not sure if it's the same track EgoHanger was referring to in each of the (bootleg) cases. Should be the "Tears in the Morning (alternate version)", though. And that one is on an 18 volumes set called "Rarities", among others.

EDIT:
It seems that, like so much other stuff, it has vanished from YT. Sorry.  Undecided
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:40:17 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: July 23, 2012, 06:57:13 AM »

Where did you find it?
Last time I checked it was up on YouTube. Tried to get you a link, but YT seems to be down...  Huh

The track should be featured on various bootlegs, although I'm not sure if it's the same track EgoHanger was referring to in each of the (bootleg) cases. Should be the "Tears in the Morning (alternate version)", though. And that one is on an 18 volumes set called "Rarities", among others.

EDIT:
It seems that, like so much other stuff, it has vanished from YT. Sorry.  Undecided

Yes, it's the one on one of the volumes of "Rarities". There are alternate lyrics on that version too - one of the lines is something like "I don't need no napenthe"!

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: July 23, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »

Where did you find it?

EDIT:

Yes, it's the one on one of the volumes of "Rarities". There are alternate lyrics on that version too - one of the lines is something like "I don't need no napenthe"!
Nepenthe, you mean?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: July 24, 2012, 01:49:48 AM »

Thank you, Lowbacca & EgoHanger, for your informative answers! Will try to check those Rarities. Once you said about existence of alternate TITM I'm now determined to listen to it.  

Here it is - aren't I nice :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45WwGS_tke0&feature=youtu.be

Edit: Video still up, but this made me laugh:

"The Beach Boys - Tears In The Morning (Alternate Version)
Your video may include the following copyrighted content:
"Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)", musical composition administered by:
One or more music publishing rights collecting societies 
UMPG Publishing"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:51:29 AM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
EthanJClarke93
« Reply #2614 on: July 24, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »

I've been wondering, Is this TV Film accurate on some things I Know most of the film isn't truthful at all, such as Bruce being in the band in 73 or 74 and Brian being over-weight in the late 60's anything else?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:37 PM »

Of course some of it is accurate (or accounted for).

Seach function, by the way, search function...
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: July 24, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »

Please tell me I'm not the only person who LOVES this track!  Lyrics are a hoot and Brian sounds like he's having an absolute blast...all to a swinging, brassy backing track.  Odd?  Yes.  Catchy?  You bet your a*s!

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: July 24, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »

Please tell me I'm not the only person who LOVES this track!  Lyrics are a hoot and Brian sounds like he's having an absolute blast...all to a swinging, brassy backing track.  Odd?  Yes.  Catchy?  You bet your a*s!
Definitely. Odd/catchy/ass. I love my Adult Child3D
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: July 24, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »

Isn't that Carl?

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: July 24, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

It might be.  At times it sounds like Carl...but then at other times it sounds like Brian.  I guess I always assumed it was Brian.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: July 24, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »

...but hey, they were hip (according to Jack Rieley)!

SBonilla
« Reply #2621 on: July 24, 2012, 02:59:49 PM »

Mmmm. I like the song, but I don't like the electric bass, the drummer, or the arrangement. Billy May would have really put some real pizzazz into the tune. Claus Ogerman would have understood what Brian was trying to do and would have interpreted his ideas, swingingly and beautifully. As it is, the track is sloppy and sounds rushed, the band is not well enough rehearsed.

I never found the Brian's big band tracks odd. It's that I always had a problem with Dick Reynolds' arrangements; they were too watered down and generic sounding. There were so many more talented arrangers available in the 60's and 70's who could have done a really great job. I can understand Brian hiring Mr. Reynolds for the job, though.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: July 24, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »

It might be.  At times it sounds like Carl...but then at other times it sounds like Brian.  I guess I always assumed it was Brian.
It's Carl & Brian both.  Wink
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: July 24, 2012, 03:10:19 PM »

http://smashinginterviews.com/interviews/m...fe-and-turmoil/

Mike Love interview from Smashing Interviews Magazine.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: July 24, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

Should the "vocals thread" remain as a sticky?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx