gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 01:03:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416563 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: November 07, 2011, 08:14:45 AM »

I was thinkin about how before Pet Sounds, Brian had released different versions of songs on albums or singles (I.E. Help Me R(h)onda, Be True To Your School, etc.)...and applying it to Pet Sounds as in Brian releasing his first version of GV on PS and then releasing the single version on 45 and Smile (Smiley)...I know people have thought about GV being on PS, but for that reason, on improving upon the song like others from the past...just a what if/theory thought I'd throw out there.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I don't have a Kindle so I'll never be able to read it but it's the BB on CD 1961-69...the cover is interesting that it has a faceless Brian (from PS cover) feeding a CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-CD-1961-1969-ebook/dp/B004XNNF2U/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1320684586&sr=8-40

Anyone seen this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: November 07, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but I don't have a Kindle so I'll never be able to read it but it's the BB on CD 1961-69...the cover is interesting that it has a faceless Brian (from PS cover) feeding a CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Boys-CD-1961-1969-ebook/dp/B004XNNF2U/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&qid=1320684586&sr=8-40

Anyone seen this?
Ah, I just found the paperback edition...is this worth getting? (mind you I basically own every BB/BW book that's on Amazon, besides the Leaf book)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »

And because I'm a dunce who can't find anything with search: exactly how much work has been done in sifting through the CBS vaults? I'm aware that they handed back a bunch of stuff in the early-1990's, but have there been crack investigators who have, say, looked for mislabeled reels from the same period, or something similar?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1929 on: November 07, 2011, 09:50:07 AM »

Anyone seen this?
Ah, I just found the paperback edition...is this worth getting? (mind you I basically own every BB/BW book that's on Amazon, besides the Leaf book)

Anything Master Hickey writes is worth reading.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: November 07, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »

Anyone seen this?

Well thank you! It was nice to see that pop up in my feed reader. (I read this board but haven't the free time to keep up well enough to post here on any regular basis).

For anyone who's wondering, the book (which, yes, is available in both paperback and hardback as well as ebook versions - Amazon don't seem to want to make it easy for people to find the paperback on this one though) doesn't have any new facts or anything in it. Rather, it's a song-by-song critical analysis of each track. Several people have told me they enjoyed it and it helped them appreciate the music more, but it's not a big piece of heavily-researched scholarship, just a critical appreciation of the music.

If anyone has any questions about it, and doesn't want to clog up space on this board, feel free to email andrew at thenationalpep.co.uk .

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: November 08, 2011, 05:54:53 AM »

Anyone seen this?

Well thank you! It was nice to see that pop up in my feed reader. (I read this board but haven't the free time to keep up well enough to post here on any regular basis).

For anyone who's wondering, the book (which, yes, is available in both paperback and hardback as well as ebook versions - Amazon don't seem to want to make it easy for people to find the paperback on this one though) doesn't have any new facts or anything in it. Rather, it's a song-by-song critical analysis of each track. Several people have told me they enjoyed it and it helped them appreciate the music more, but it's not a big piece of heavily-researched scholarship, just a critical appreciation of the music.

If anyone has any questions about it, and doesn't want to clog up space on this board, feel free to email andrew at thenationalpep.co.uk .
I'd love to get a copy sometime...and I love the cover! Are you gonna do another book fro 1970 and on?
It's strange how a lot of documentaries and books kinda just do the well known years and rarely touch the late 70s to mid 90s.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: November 08, 2011, 06:52:28 AM »

I'd love to get a copy sometime...and I love the cover! Are you gonna do another book fro 1970 and on?
It's strange how a lot of documentaries and books kinda just do the well known years and rarely touch the late 70s to mid 90s.

I've just started working on a volume two, covering all the rest of the albums and the archival releases. I was planning to have it out for early next year, but with these rumours about a reunion album, I'll probably hold on to it until we know more details about that. The plan is to do a vol. 3, on the solo records, as well.

The cover, BTW, is by a regular on this board, but done under a pseudonym (I'm not sure if they want it known who did it).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: November 08, 2011, 07:56:45 AM »

I've just started working on a volume two, covering all the rest of the albums and the archival releases. I was planning to have it out for early next year, but with these rumours about a reunion album, I'll probably hold on to it until we know more details about that. The plan is to do a vol. 3, on the solo records, as well.

The cover, BTW, is by a regular on this board, but done under a pseudonym (I'm not sure if they want it known who did it).
good idea

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: November 08, 2011, 08:01:14 AM »

Anyone seen this?

And what I mean by books and docs that don't touch those eras: Badman's Book, Brad Elliot's Surf's Up (I know he released it in the early 80s), BW Songwriter 62-69.
Which reminds me about how the American Band doc skips the Sunflower to Holland era, why is this? Well, I guess Student Demonstration Time is on there, but that doesn't represent Surf's Up very well in my opinion.

And whatever happen to Brad Elliot?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:35 AM »

Just heard a good needledrop of the European pressing of Sunflower with Cottonfields.

Cottonfields sounds as if it's in mono, yet the rest of the album is stereo. Were all pressings like this or did any have Cottonfields in stereo?

Also was it just the European version that included Cottonfields, or did the US version get reprinted to include it once it was a hit?

Many thanks!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: November 08, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »

Hi Andrew,

I stumbled upon your book when searching for good stuff to read on my phone, and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for vol 2.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: November 08, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »

Just heard a good needledrop of the European pressing of Sunflower with Cottonfields.

Cottonfields sounds as if it's in mono, yet the rest of the album is stereo. Were all pressings like this or did any have Cottonfields in stereo?

Also was it just the European version that included Cottonfields, or did the US version get reprinted to include it once it was a hit?

Many thanks!

I think except for the U.S. - where Sunflower was released on Brother/Reprise - the album was released on the Stateside label. Add to this that Cottonfields was a huge hit almost everywhere worldwide - again, except for the U.S. - then adding the hit single to the album seems like a logical move. How they were able to add a Capitol 45 to a (originally) Brother/Reprise album, I don't know. And what the reason was to switch Deirdre and Got To Know The Woman... no clue either.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: November 10, 2011, 03:47:23 AM »

I thought this was weird. Does BW have some beef with Bruce Johnston?

From the Larry King interview.

"M. WILSON: We licensed the name to Mike because he is actually the only one that really -- well, I shouldn't say the only one, Al would like to too, but we decided Mike would be the guy who...

KING: So he takes the group out called the Beach Boys.

M. WILSON: He's got some Bruce with him...

B. WILSON: Bruce Johnston.

M. WILSON: Yes. And the other ones I really don't know who..."

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0408/20/lkl.00.html

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1939 on: November 10, 2011, 04:47:37 AM »

Many thanks!

I think except for the U.S. - where Sunflower was released on Brother/Reprise - the album was released on the Stateside label. Add to this that Cottonfields was a huge hit almost everywhere worldwide - again, except for the U.S. - then adding the hit single to the album seems like a logical move. How they were able to add a Capitol 45 to a (originally) Brother/Reprise album, I don't know. And what the reason was to switch Deirdre and Got To Know The Woman... no clue either.

The UK/European deal with EMI/Capitol ran for a further two years after the US contract expired, and their releases were on the Stateside subsidiary, thus no sweat in including it on Sunflower... except that it stuck out like a sore thumb.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: November 10, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »

Many thanks!

The UK/European deal with EMI/Capitol ran for a further two years after the US contract expired, and their releases were on the Stateside subsidiary, thus no sweat in including it on Sunflower... except that it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Thanks Smile Holland and AGD. I actually don't think it sticks out too bad, although it's in mono.

The switch of Deidre/Got To Know The Woman is a strange one, but again I prefer it in a way as it means I don't have to hit skip so soon (sorry, but Got To Know The Woman is the only track on the album I could do without).

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: November 10, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »

I believe the back cover staes that Cottonfields is in Electronically Reprocessed Stereo or something to that effect, meaning fake stereo.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: November 13, 2011, 12:44:28 AM »

How did we come to the conclusion that Bruce sang "With a Little Help From My Friends"? Is the recording slowed down or something?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: November 13, 2011, 03:42:01 AM »

Here's an insignificant question that doesn't deserve its own thread. Am I correct in thinking that Beach Boys albums from 1963 and 1964 (Surfin' USA, Surfer Girl, Little Deuce Coupe, Shut Down Vol 2, All Summer Long, Concert, Christmas Album) have never been reissued in mono? Or if they were, not on vinyl?

Also, while thinking this through I've been reminded of something. Around about 1990 or so, I bought a vinyl reissue of Shut Down Volume 2 on a very obscure label which had a name like "K2" or something, with which I've long since parted company. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:09:06 AM by William Bowe » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: November 13, 2011, 04:41:56 AM »

How did we come to the conclusion that Bruce sang "With a Little Help From My Friends"? Is the recording slowed down or something?

It is, yeah. Have no idea why, though.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1945 on: November 13, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »

Because he told me, back in the 80s.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: November 13, 2011, 09:22:27 PM »

Because he told me, back in the 80s.

Did he have a gun

Naw, but srsly, what a weird vocal. Even when sped up a bit, it doesn't sound a terrible amount like ol' Brucey Bruce. It's as if Dennis and Bruce had a gay lovechild (both in that he was formed by gay means and that he, too, was gay), made him sing this song, and then did away with him. Dennuce we hardly knew ye ;(

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:11 AM »

Also, while thinking this through I've been reminded of something. Around about 1990 or so, I bought a vinyl reissue of Shut Down Volume 2 on a very obscure label which had a name like "K2" or something, with which I've long since parted company. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

No K2, but I've a copy of SDV2 on C5 Records, Made in France, 1989.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: November 15, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »

on 'I Don't Know', before the final take, who's that saying 'That one was the best I played, in the last, oo, three months' or similar?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: November 16, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »

Do the post-SMiLE rarities "Good News", "Good Time Mama", "Game of Love", "Our Happy Home", and "Honey Get Home" exist in the vaults or are these ones lost?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx