gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681063 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 19, 2024, 02:28:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1416573 times)
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 15, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »

Moody Blues' DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED blends all the tracks together for the most part, but again it's post-PEPPER with a November '67 release.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »

has anybody heard "Burlesque"?  (and in case agd answers), anyone know how it sounds?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1327 on: April 16, 2011, 01:29:56 AM »

has anybody heard "Burlesque"?  (and in case agd answers), anyone know how it sounds?

Jack Rieley sang two lines to me when I interviewed him in summer 1982:

"Tantalation and hot glowin' skin
Sun's 'bout to rest"

As I recall, the melody didn't knock me on my ass, but it was JFR III singing...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 16, 2011, 05:57:22 AM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

As I recall, the melody didn't knock me on my ass, but it was JFR III singing...  Grin
I can tell someone doesn't enjoy the Western Justice album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1329 on: April 16, 2011, 06:02:42 AM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

Actually, like it a lot... but Jack 'singing' acapella... ummmmmmmmm...

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 16, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

ha. interesting.  i wonder why it hasn't gotten a release.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 16, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

Ah, I gotcha.

BTW, I think, in a perfect world, the Beach Boys should have done a favor for ol' Mr. Rieley (bringing them back to being hip again) and sung backing for his Western Justice album.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1332 on: April 16, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

Ah, I gotcha.

BTW, I think, in a perfect world, the Beach Boys should have done a favor for ol' Mr. Rieley (bringing them back to being hip again) and sung backing for his Western Justice album.

No... in a perfect world they would have sung the whole album... and it would have been rather good.  Grin

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 16, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

Ah, I gotcha.

No... in a perfect world they would have sung the whole album... and it would have been rather good.  Grin

touche

I quite like the production of WJ...never heard too many say that much about it.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1334 on: April 16, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »

Sun's 'bout to rest"

Ah, I gotcha.

touche

I quite like the production of WJ...never heard too many say that much about it.

I have the original album (with lovely booklet), the CD reissue and the original 7" pic sleeve promo... which is all in Dutch, so I have no idea what they're saying.

doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: April 16, 2011, 05:26:04 PM »

its on CD?

must have missed that... google here I come   Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 16, 2011, 05:35:04 PM »

One dealer selling from Holland  12euros for the CD, but over 9 euros to ship that one cd... Huh Angry

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

I have the original album (with lovely booklet), the CD reissue and the original 7" pic sleeve promo... which is all in Dutch, so I have no idea what they're saying.

But not the Cassette and 8 Track tape? 
Shame

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1338 on: April 17, 2011, 01:25:07 AM »

its on CD?

must have missed that... google here I come   Roll Eyes

Might like this:

Western Justice homepage

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 17, 2011, 03:23:52 AM »

One dealer selling from Holland  12euros for the CD, but over 9 euros to ship that one cd... Huh Angry

that's a bargain compared to the ridiculous prizes they're asking for the Good Vibes / H&V 78RPM on Ebay right now...

I bought the CD a few years back for €2,50 btw. Be patient, a cheaper copy will turn up eventually. And, as AGD said, it's really an enjoyable album, and worth the money if you decide to buy it anyway.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 17, 2011, 06:54:40 AM »

don't have an issue with the 12 euros for the CD, but over 9 euros to ship I do have an issue with...

will have to think about this.... Undecided 

the vendor seems to be connected to the website (thanks AGD !) , still think the shipping is really out of wack..

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 17, 2011, 08:50:45 PM »

Did Murry Wilson ever attend any SMiLE era sessions? Is it known what his opinion of the recordings was? The reason I ask is because I've just heard a version of With Me Tonight that starts with talking in the control room, and the voice kind of sounded like Murry to me.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: April 18, 2011, 12:35:08 AM »

Did Murry Wilson ever attend any SMiLE era sessions? Is it known what his opinion of the recordings was? The reason I ask is because I've just heard a version of With Me Tonight that starts with talking in the control room, and the voice kind of sounded like Murry to me.

I'm not aware he attended any BB sessions between "Rhonda" and "Be Here In The Morning" (of course he could have)- anyone know better ?

A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1343 on: April 18, 2011, 02:54:07 AM »

I'm not aware he attended any BB sessions between "Rhonda" and "Be Here In The Morning" (of course he could have)- anyone know better ?

On the first OMP session on the SOT set, you can hear some people talking in the background, and one voice sort of sounds like Murry's. Then Brian says 'C'mon Dad, leave me alone'. You have to turn it up a bit, but it's there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1344 on: April 18, 2011, 03:03:03 AM »

On the first OMP session on the SOT set, you can hear some people talking in the background, and one voice sort of sounds like Murry's. Then Brian says 'C'mon Dad, leave me alone'. You have to turn it up a bit, but it's there.

Thanks - I'll check it out. I know someone who has some of those nasty bootleg things.  Roll Eyes

Paulos
« Reply #1345 on: April 18, 2011, 03:21:11 AM »

Thanks - I'll check it out. I know someone who has some of those nasty bootleg things.  Roll Eyes

I imagine that your Beach Boys & related artists bootleg collection is probably bigger than most peoples entire record collection!  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: April 18, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »

I imagine that your Beach Boys & related artists bootleg collection is probably bigger than most peoples entire record collection!  Smiley

Sir, I possess none of these 'bootlegs': that would be morally reprehensible in the extreme.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 18, 2011, 06:03:48 AM »

If Murry didn't attend any session from "Rhonda" to BHITM, how'd he end up suggesting to Brian that changing the pitch of "Caroline No" would make it sweeter? Did Brian play him an acetate or something, seeking his input? More generally, what did Murry think of Pet Sounds when he heard it the first time? I suppose if he was still producing fun-and-sun Sunrays material he probably wasn't hip to it. LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:41 AM »

Brian actually gets on the phone to Murry during the session for Caroline No, but i would bet he played him an acetate as well and that's how the decision was made.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 19, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »

I've read occasionally here that Brian came to intensely dislike his falsetto voice. Has he ever talked about this in interviews (historical or contemporary)? Was it something that people in his circle simply knew? Am I right in thinking one of the reasons he began to smoke was because he wanted to lower his normal voice? For a guy who supposedly didn't like his falsetto voice, he certainly seemed to use it -- and sing high notes generally -- frequently enough still. My point being this: I find this interesting and kind of surprising and I'd like to know more!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx